HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

46th Obsequious Banter Thread - Kimbi Daniels and his frequent FLYER miles

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2013, 07:02 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Do not click if you don't like spiders...

http://gawker.com/5982891/meanwhile-...aining-spiders

Old
02-09-2013, 07:45 AM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
We got a foot of snow. I started off the day with a dead battery, had that replaced pretty quick and then in the afternoon I was rear ended by a cab. No damage but at that point I decided to pack it in for the day.

Old
02-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
We got a foot of snow. I started off the day with a dead battery, had that replaced pretty quick and then in the afternoon I was rear ended by a cab. No damage but at that point I decided to pack it in for the day.
Yeah, clearly not a good day for driving

02-09-2013, 01:50 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Flew out of Toronto yesterday... was supposed to be in the air by 10:45am... sat in the plane until 1:30 and then we were kicked off and the flight was cancelled. Got on a second flight that was supposed to leave at 6:30pm; finally got off the ground just after 8:00pm.

My cab ride to the airport from downtown Toronto took over 90 minutes, too.

Crazy day.

02-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Flew out of Toronto yesterday... was supposed to be in the air by 10:45am... sat in the plane until 1:30 and then we were kicked off and the flight was cancelled. Got on a second flight that was supposed to leave at 6:30pm; finally got off the ground just after 8:00pm.

My cab ride to the airport from downtown Toronto took over 90 minutes, too.

Crazy day.
Did the cab happen to rear-end anybody?

Old
02-09-2013, 01:54 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

No, but he did spin out exiting from the highway... nothing scary.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:32 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Bwahahahaha!

CF88 you are going to miss Leafs/Flyers Monday! Charlie Girl and I are going.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I'm watching the Canadiens game and this play by play guy has called JVR Jim, John, and Jamie, and "Rhymes Dike". How dis guy call NHL games (professionally!) and not know who JVR is?

Old
02-09-2013, 09:00 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I'm watching the Canadiens game and this play by play guy has called JVR Jim, John, and Jamie, and "Rhymes Dike". How dis guy call NHL games (professionally!) and not know who JVR is?
It's Bob Cole, he's very old, has great pipes, calls a great game except for everything name related. It's kind of a shame he won't retire but I don't think they will force him out.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:17 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:
Bob Cole, he needs to retire although he provides some extra entertainment.

He had one call tonight, "and a penalty upcoming to the Leafs, hooking, or holding, or sometimes interference". After all that, the Habs got the penalty.

I will never forget during the 2011 playoffs against the Bruins. Boucher (or whoever was in net) was skating to the bench on a delayed penalty, and Bob Cole went nuts stating "and the goalie is way out of the net!", not realizing there was a delayed call.

He is just so out of it at this stage, he simply cant keep up with the play anymore.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:18 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:
It's Bob Cole, he's very old, has great pipes, calls a great game except for everything name related. It's kind of a shame he won't retire but I don't think they will force him out.
They have been phasing him out recently, havent they? I havent watched a ton of Leafs games this year, but I swore Hughson was doing the early games now on CBC.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
I guess that explains it. I didn't notice him for better or worse besides that, so I guess he's doing alright for an older fella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
Bob Cole, he needs to retire although he provides some extra entertainment.

He had one call tonight, "and a penalty upcoming to the Leafs, hooking, or holding, or sometimes interference". After all that, the Habs got the penalty.

I will never forget during the 2011 playoffs against the Bruins. Boucher (or whoever was in net) was skating to the bench on a delayed penalty, and Bob Cole went nuts stating "and the goalie is way out of the net!", not realizing there was a delayed call.

He is just so out of it at this stage, he simply cant keep up with the play anymore.
In his defense that was sort of a weird penalty/call.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:42 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
They have been phasing him out recently, havent they? I havent watched a ton of Leafs games this year, but I swore Hughson was doing the early games now on CBC.
They've usually got Hughson/Simpson doing Leaf games and Cole is doing either Sens or Habs' games, not sure which. CBC really screwed up, they had Chris Cuthbert years ago and when the 2005 lockout happened, they let him go even though he wasn't actually under contract with them. They could have kept him to do Leaf games and left Hughson on the west coast where he lives and had Cole do the Ottawa/Habs games. So now Hughson must be getting a ton of airmiles flying out from Vancouver every weekend to call Leaf games.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:59 PM
LegionOfDoom91

He sounds so damn confused when he announces. It's almost like he's second guessing himself the entire time.

My favorite moment was his breakdown of Simmonds' beatdown on Joey Crabb last year. I don't think Crabb landed a punch the entire fight and Cole made it sound like they were going toe to toe with each other.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He sounds so damn confused when he announces. It's almost like he's second guessing himself the entire time.

My favorite moment was his breakdown of Simmonds' beatdown on Joey Crabb last year. I don't think Crabb landed a punch the entire fight and Cole made it sound like they were going toe to toe with each other.
I had to youtube this. What was he watching!?

Old
02-09-2013, 10:24 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I had to youtube this. What was he watching!?

Crabb's "hard right" landed directly into simmonds shoulder.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Do not click if you don't like spiders...

http://gawker.com/5982891/meanwhile-...aining-spiders
Just saw this. The moment it rains any form of bug on me, I'm going to shoot myself. I've had a good run, but I'm not living in a world where spider-rain is a thing.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:35 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Bwahahahaha!

CF88 you are going to miss Leafs/Flyers Monday! Charlie Girl and I are going.
I went to the Leafs/Caps game while I was there... first time in the ACC.

Have fun! I'm sure the atmosphere in the arena will be considerably better than the game I went to (it was bad... and the Leafs won; can't imagine how it would have been had the Caps dominated).

Old
02-10-2013, 07:17 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I went to the Leafs/Caps game while I was there... first time in the ACC.

Have fun! I'm sure the atmosphere in the arena will be considerably better than the game I went to (it was bad... and the Leafs won; can't imagine how it would have been had the Caps dominated).
Even though it's a Monday game I think the Leafs and crowd will be fired up after what happened last night. I think JvR might go into 2011 vs Bruins mode. The Leafs are bad at home but this might turn things around for them (I hope not!!)

BTW, there are stories in the media today that people at the airport waited 90 minutes to pay at Park N Fly and longer to actually get their cars. I think you got off lucky!

Old
02-10-2013, 07:55 AM
FlyersFan61290

Hey guys I bought Game Center premium for my iPad to watch any games when away from home and obviously most are blacked out cause I live in Philly but since I have a jail broken device I got a 3rd party program that fakes your location via GPS (I set mine to Mexico lol, this way no NHL games are blacked out). Just wanted to share this with you guys in case anyone else is in a similar situation

Not stealing anything and I have fios tv service (meaning I get all the games) so don't see why I shouldn't be able to see all games just cause I'm at work or something

Old
02-12-2013, 06:50 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Anyone can tell me how good is Villanova for physics/astronomy? I have a Chinese friend that has Villanova on his college list (I know Villanova isn't overly popular among Chinese-Canadians) and wants to do physics away from home.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:19 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Anyone can tell me how good is Villanova for physics/astronomy? I have a Chinese friend that has Villanova on his college list (I know Villanova isn't overly popular among Chinese-Canadians) and wants to do physics away from home.
I don't know too much about the program itself, but I know Villanova is a pretty well respected school all-around.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't know too much about the program itself, but I know Villanova is a pretty well respected school all-around.
I thought the pecking order among Philadelphia schools was something like this: UPenn, then Villanova, then Drexel/Temple (USP if one wanted to do pharmacy or chemistry) and a couple of not-that-great colleges... I told that guy that Villanova was a Catholic school that didn't have that many Asian students.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:26 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I thought the pecking order among Philadelphia schools was something like this: UPenn, then Villanova, then Drexel/Temple (USP if one wanted to do pharmacy or chemistry) and a couple of not-that-great colleges...
Yeah that's probably about right. Penn is on its own level, then Nova and Temple probably on the same level, then Drexel and USP (depending on the majors). All good schools though. There is also LaSalle and St. Joseph's too which are good schools.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:57 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Does he want to do a specific branch of physics, or does he just know he likes physics generally? Does he want to go to a school in the mid-Atlantic specifically, or is it ok so long as it's not Canada?

If he wants a specialized sub-field of phsyics then thats a whole other question. If he just wants broad spectrum physics education applicable to industry or progress towards a graduate degree, I would say an applied/general physics degree is the way to go. If he wants to make respectable money with out getting at least a master's degree then tell him to be an engineer, lol.

Off the top of my head the best astronomy programs are Arizona State, the Ohio State University and I think UPenn has a strong program as well (this is aside from the usual suspects like Ivy schools, UC Berkley, Stanford, MIT etc.). I personally wouldn't go to Villanova for Physics for a couple reasons. They tuition there is 42k a year. You're paying tuition to attend a top tier school. And while Nova might be that for certain majors, it's a pretty run-of-the-mill physics prorgam. You're not getting any bang for your buck. I would either look for a big name school with a much larger physics department to get more bang for my buck, or go to a cheaper school that has a very comparable physics department (this is what I did).

I'm currently an Applied Physics major at Richard Stockton College out near Atlantic City. If he is looking for a general physics degree in a more rural setting that's still near a city, I can vouch for Stockton as a pretty good school (doesn't sound like this is his preferred setting though, if Nova is on his list). The tuition here is about a third of what Nova costs (~13.5k/year) and the curriculum is almost identical, though the school's name carries less prestige. The Physics department is smaller here, so there is some additional coordinating to do as far as scheduling classes (since there aren't enough Phd's to teach every class every semester), but there's also a lot of personalized teaching and attention. My current advisor got his doctorate from Princeton in low energy fusion and he's helping me specialize in nuclear physics beyond the usual curriculum. There are a few other similarly qualified Docs here, so the faculty is sort of a hidden gem.

Good luck to your friend.

Closed Thread