HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Райан О'Рейли: In Soviet Ontario Offer Sheets Sign You; Rayan's 3rd Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2013, 06:14 PM
volaju

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
So according to reports he basically(May not be true):

Hates Duchene for taking less money
Hates Landeskog for getting Captaincy over him
Hates Stastny for getting overpaid and getting better treatment

How does he even walk back into the room even if he does get signed?
Do you actually believe these are things O'Reilly himself believes?

These are clearly ideas that have been thought up here by fans who think they can look at a few events and make some kind of logical explanation as to why O'Reilly is holding out. People have repeated these paranoid fantasies to the point that hacks like Dater pick them up and repeat them as "things he's heard around the league," and the echo chamber eats it up and posts it back here like it's further confirmation that it's true.

I don't mean this as an attack on you, I'm just saying that people are pretty quick to jump to conclusions right now. Hell, in this very thread, I saw TPS post a personal opinion of his and a bunch of posters automatically attributed TPS' personal opinion to O'Reilly and vilified him for it. People aren't thinking rationally here. Try to question what you read.

Quote:
Everything is ancillary to winning. Bad press only matters with bad teams.
But .. the Avs aren't winning? And it's going to be really hard to win when you can't attract star free agent talent (or retain your own, apparently) if bad press keeps leaking that the Avalanche organization is a mess that treats its players without respect.

But yeah, the bad press isn't really a problem, rather than a symptom of the problem.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

If they aren't going to sign him they need to trade him sooner rather than later. As funny as it would be to see O'Reilly lose a year of playing time and development in his young career putting a gun to management's head it probably doesn't help the return value in a trade.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by volaju View Post
But .. the Avs aren't winning? And it's going to be really hard to win when you can't attract star free agent talent (or retain your own, apparently) if bad press keeps leaking that the Avalanche organization is a mess that treats its players without respect.

But yeah, the bad press isn't really a problem, rather than a symptom of the problem.
Jones stuck around even though he could have most likely had the same contract or more somewhere else. Parenteau didn't hesitate signing here. Money talks, ******** walks.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
This whole thread is full of unsubstantiated rumors of personal attacks, feelings, and emotions. ROR feels this way! No, he's jealous Jones bought his wife a shot. No wait, Dater said Sacco's kid is Stastny's nephew!

Old
02-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Take it up with Dater then.
Dater said people around O'Reilly are blaming Duchene. TPS was the one that made the remark about Stastny and he doesn't speak for Ryan. The captaincy issue is baseless speculation. People need to stop assuming crap about this kid, that has given everything to the avs everytime he suits up.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Dater said people around O'Reilly are blaming Duchene. TPS was the one that made the remark about Stastny and he doesn't speak for Ryan. The captaincy issue is baseless speculation. People need to stop assuming crap about this kid, that has given everything to the avs everytime he suits up.
Mistake or intentional?

Old
02-09-2013, 06:35 PM
CB Joe

"Plenty of people around O’Reilly ( *cough* O'Reilly's agency *cough) are blaming Duchene for taking “short money” on a two-year deal, which effectively set the bar for O’Reilly, one the Avs won’t go over."

Pretty much my take on the whole thing.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Mistake or intentional?
Pardon?

Old
02-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
If they aren't going to sign him they need to trade him sooner rather than later. As funny as it would be to see O'Reilly lose a year of playing time and development in his young career putting a gun to management's head it probably doesn't help the return value in a trade.
You and Drij seem very bitter.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 116
Personally I hope Avs to make clear that a trade is not an option, that they will match any offer sheet and the next time he plays a NHL game he'll be wearing an Avs jersey or be 27 years old.

Avs have done nothing wrong here and I see no reason they should let the player dictate what is happening. Enough is enough. He can go play in Russia or sit in Ontario if he wants. Being offered the money he is being offered isn't an insult, nor is telling him that the team is unsure about how sustainable last year was an insult so grave that he can't get over it.

I mean this in the nicest possible way: Ryan O'Reilly needs a reality check.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:51 PM
IceRat
#BallsOnTheTable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post

yeah but he wants a super duper paycheck

Old
02-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Personally I hope Avs to make clear that a trade is not an option, that they will match any offer sheet and the next time he plays a NHL game he'll be wearing an Avs jersey or be 27 years old.

Avs have done nothing wrong here and I see no reason they should let the player dictate what is happening. Enough is enough. He can go play in Russia or sit in Ontario if he wants. Being offered the money he is being offered isn't an insult, nor is telling him that the team is unsure about how sustainable last year was an insult so grave that he can't get over it.

No team will ever do that, he'll get traded in the offseason if he doesn't sign a contract by the end of the season. Ryan hasn't done anything wrong as well, what he's doing is nothing new. In the end I think he gets what he wants.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:56 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
Quote:
The team has no interest in trading him(assumption based on his agent not being asked for potential contract terms to any other team) and would match almost any offer sheet(and he's not signing an offer sheet).

We all need to be patient. This is a lost season for the organization, whether we like it or not.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRat View Post
yeah but he wants a super duper paycheck
as the song goes..."you can't always get what you want"

Old
02-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
The team has no interest in trading him(assumption based on his agent not being asked for potential contract terms to any other team) and would match almost any offer sheet(and he's not signing an offer sheet).

We all need to be patient. This is a lost season for the organization, whether we like it or not.
If he doesn't want to be traded (which I believe you alluded to before) and he won't sign an offer sheet, then how is he expecting this situation to resolve itself? What exactly is he expecting to change? Is he expecting the Avs offer to change during the summer? Why would it at this point?

Old
02-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post

I'm going to assume he will sign in the offseason at this rate, probably for a year deal and around the same price as Duchene, maybe 3.75. We'll aggressively consider moving Stastny and instantly regret losing him as he tears it up with a new team.

We'll have Barkov or Drouin on the team to start the season and a UFA defender will sign for 3 years after we trade SOB and let ROB go.

Old
02-09-2013, 08:43 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by volaju View Post
Do you actually believe these are things O'Reilly himself believes?

These are clearly ideas that have been thought up here by fans who think they can look at a few events and make some kind of logical explanation as to why O'Reilly is holding out. People have repeated these paranoid fantasies to the point that hacks like Dater pick them up and repeat them as "things he's heard around the league," and the echo chamber eats it up and posts it back here like it's further confirmation that it's true.

I don't mean this as an attack on you, I'm just saying that people are pretty quick to jump to conclusions right now. Hell, in this very thread, I saw TPS post a personal opinion of his and a bunch of posters automatically attributed TPS' personal opinion to O'Reilly and vilified him for it. People aren't thinking rationally here. Try to question what you read.

What a fantastic set of posts by you in the last day or so, dude. Very well done.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
How O'Reilly feels about anyone in the organization, and how they feel about him is really a moot point.

I don't understand why people think it's going to have some sort of effect. It's a multi-billion dollar business. As in all boardrooms or organizations, there is always dissention. It's inevitable. There's stories of the Broncos coaches telling each other to ********* off and they were going to quit in the middle of Super Bowl years. You've got lots of money, lots of egos, and lots of aggressive athletes in the same building. It's never going to be Little House on the Prairie.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I'm going to assume he will sign in the offseason at this rate, probably for a year deal and around the same price as Duchene, maybe 3.75. We'll aggressively consider moving Stastny and instantly regret losing him as he tears it up with a new team.

We'll have Barkov or Drouin on the team to start the season and a UFA defender will sign for 3 years after we trade SOB and let ROB go.
I imagine the Avs will move heaven and earth to avoid a one-year contract. He's up for arbitration right after the end of that contract, leading to more headaches and ugliness for everyone.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

The hyperbole around ROR is just amazing at this point from both directions. he s either a godly young center or a self centered ass. Has anyone even considered that last year might really just be an aberration? Or does that just not factor in? I still expect to see him get traded Drury style in the offseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
We'll aggressively consider moving Stastny and instantly regret losing him as he tears it up with a new team.
Us Stastny defenders will be disappointed and be even bigger ***** about "good" Stastny than Dater is about all the ex-Avs like Shattenkirk, Anderson, etc.. Stastny haters will just harumph and complain "well...why didn't he do that when he was here". It was nice to hear Frei and Clough sticking up for him on the Fan late this afternoon, while calling most Stastny haters idiots, comparing him to Andre Igoudala of the Nuggets and conceding he s overpaid.

I'm almost curious to see him get traded just to see who everyone blames for everything that goes wrong.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:50 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
You and Drij seem very bitter.
Bitter? Absolutely not. I truly find it funny when professional athletes squabble over money. Especially over a contract that would pay him millions. And he's willing to lose a year of his career over it. Careers that are often quite short. Kid is nuts.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Quote:
Bitter? Absolutely not. I truly find it funny when professional athletes squabble over money. Especially over a contract that would pay him millions. And he's willing to lose a year of his career over it. Careers that are often quite short. Kid is nuts.
By the way, O'Reilly is not being paid any salary at this point, is he?
So if he really decides to play it hard for a whole year, he loses 3,5 million $ (as this seems to be what the avs offered)?

Old
02-09-2013, 10:51 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kschey View Post
By the way, O'Reilly is not being paid any salary at this point, is he?
So if he really decides to play it hard for a whole year, he loses 3,5 million $ (as this seems to be what the avs offered)?
3.5M prorated... All contract salaries are based on a 82 game season regardless.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:53 PM
NWAvs

What is the worst case scenario for us?

Old
02-09-2013, 10:57 PM
CB Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvs View Post
What is the worst case scenario for us?
I guess that depends on your take.

O'Reilly holds out. Avs grow impatient and trade him. The return is ****.

Avs cave and sign O'Reilly to a large contact. Duchene, Landeskog, Downie, and Varlamov now think they are entitled to a big payday. Avs have little money left to improve the roster through free agency.

Closed Thread