HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Vigneault's Coaching Style

Old
07-05-2006, 01:06 PM
coastal_nuck

vCash: 500
Vigneault's Coaching Style

Hi Habs fans,

As a Vancouver fan, I have been intrigued with the signing of Vigneault as the new head coach. To be honest, I have not heard all that much about him but I do remember his stint as the Canadien's coach. What is the general perception of him here like? Is he a players coach? What style does he demand from his crew?

From what I've heard on the Vancouver board, it seems as if he stresses a defense first approach. That should be quite a bit different from the style that the Canucks played in the past few years. Still, it would be a nice change of pace-as long as it wins us games. Can anyone tell me about him?

coastal_nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Marc-E-

He's a coach who relies on his veteran player. He prones defensive system; like LW lock. But, you know, he's enough smart to adjust himself with the kind of players he has under is hands. He puts a lot of emphazis on conditionning and trainning. I remember him as a good coach and a great speaker. He's always calm. He's not the kind of guy who will bash a player in front of media. I got a great respect for Vigneault.

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:34 PM
BOB the Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal_nuck View Post
Hi Habs fans,

As a Vancouver fan, I have been intrigued with the signing of Vigneault as the new head coach. To be honest, I have not heard all that much about him but I do remember his stint as the Canadien's coach. What is the general perception of him here like? Is he a players coach? What style does he demand from his crew?

From what I've heard on the Vancouver board, it seems as if he stresses a defense first approach. That should be quite a bit different from the style that the Canucks played in the past few years. Still, it would be a nice change of pace-as long as it wins us games. Can anyone tell me about him?

Well its not like he had any choice to go with a defense first approach..look at hockeydb and check out the monster teams he coached..when ur top scorer finishes with like 47 points its tough to devellop a powerful offense system..

I liked Vignault tho and I am pretty sure you guys will like him too

BOB the Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:37 PM
HabsUnited

Same (hair) style as Crawford, if that helps you.

HabsUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Next Best Thing*

Yep, the team he coached before he got fired wasn't even ECHL worthy. You guys should like him a lot, he's a good coach and a very respectable person. I don't think he will lead Vancouver to a top3 finish but you will make the playoffs; just don't expect anything flashy.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Yep, the team he coached before he got fired wasn't even ECHL worthy. You guys should like him a lot, he's a good coach and a very respectable person. I don't think he will lead Vancouver to a top3 finish but you will make the playoffs; just don't expect anything flashy.
Oh we've had flashy. It got us knocked out of the playoffs.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Lestriker

Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
Very quiet coach, a little bit too calm for me but a good coach nonetheless. He knows the game pretty well and is a great communicator.

Lestriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 02:07 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Walter View Post
Very quiet coach, a little bit too calm for me but a good coach nonetheless. He knows the game pretty well and is a great communicator.
That's about right. Good tactician but he's not gonna shake the players too much.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 02:15 PM
tinyzombies

He's an excellent coach. We never should have fired him. He'll do a great job in Vancouver. I agree with the guy above who said he stresses fundamentals. The Canucks will be better defensively, no question.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Walter View Post
Very calm, composed and quiet coach. Does stress defense first; good tactician (him and Dave King always drew up new schemes to stop the opposing top line...) Will talk about winning one-on-one battles a lot. I always wished he'd be a litlle more assertive when he talked to the media; he's extremely drab and relentlessly feeds them cliches and bs. Never seen an outburst out of him.

I don't know about good communicator though. I remember that Vinny Damphousse, who was one of the habs leaders in those days, said that Vigneault barely if ever talked to him, even in more difficult stretches. He wondered what that was all about.

He did an OK job with us. But I wouldn't be thrilled at that hiring if I were a canucks fan.

Last edited by Dr_Hook: 07-05-2006 at 06:42 PM.
Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Double XX L

I have to say I liked Alain Vigneault. He's a good coach, and Vancouver got a guy who has yet to have his best day yet. I will also echo the sentiments of the others and say that he coached a crap *** Hab team to respectability while he was here... We werent playoff bound, but we were a LOT worse than what we were finishing at.
Keep in mind, John Witehall, Trent McLeary, Dave Manson (well past his prime), Jonas Hoglund, Valeri Bure... It was truly garbage..

Double XX L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:24 PM
SharksDownUnder

Send a message via Skype™ to SharksDownUnder
Recchi HATES Vigneault???

Someone said this was the case with Recchi... can anyone shed some light on this??

The two never got along in Montreal, and Recchi came out and said.
Quote:
There is no way Recchi would come to Vancouer to play under Vigneault again.

SharksDownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Bertuzzi distraction out

Luongo in

AV is a better coach already

I think canuck fans will like Alain. He's not as exciting as Crow behind the bench nor does he play that wide open game.

His teams in Montreal played above their heads even with all the injuries he had to endure there.

Smart move by Nonis to adress his goaltending and defense because he is serving to the strength of Alain.

Regardless of how your offensive situation currently looks like, The canucks will not be missing the playoffs 2 years in a row.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
He's the most attractive coach the Canadiens have EVER had.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:06 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksDownUnder View Post
Someone said this was the case with Recchi... can anyone shed some light on this??

The two never got along in Montreal, and Recchi came out and said.
Recchi asked for a trade out of Montreal because he didn't want to play under Vigneault anymore even if he had many friends with the Habs.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb45 View Post
He's the most attractive coach the Canadiens have EVER had.

U are a dame right?

Who's the ugliest?

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:22 AM
Dragon

In my opinion AV is a coach that brings a bad team to average, an average team to be a bit above average and a great team to be a bit above average. So whether he is good for your team or not depends on what kind of team do you have on ice.

When he was the Habs' coach, he basically divided players into 3 categories => scorer, playmaker and gridder(spelling?). And arrange them into his system. A player like Darcy Tucker, who is 50% scorer and 50% gridder fell out of favour very quickly as he does not how to utilize him.

And Poulin and Darby were so good in PK as he knows how to utilize gridders.

So whether he works out in Vancouver depends on the team. He has a history of turning very very bad teams into average teams.

Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote