Notices

If you could choose a number to retire?

Old
02-09-2013, 09:43 AM
BubbaBoot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I think they should retire 1 in honor of Thompson and brimsek just so buns like raycroft don't wear it.
Yeah, for sure.

Why the #1 of arguably the best ever American GK isn't retired is beyond me.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Justin St Pierre

I go only based on players I have seen play; it is hard for me to fathom the contributions of someone before my time. Don't take that as discounting those, however.

I would retire the #30 for Tim Thomas eventually. I think it would be a nice way to get closure on everything and let it all go, and I think he deserves it.

Out of pure bias, I want #11 taken out of circulation (not retired) to honor Axelsson.

But seriously, I'd like to see the #30 retired for Thomas when the time is right. More importantly, it would be nice to force goaltenders to pick something more interesting than 30. Bobrovsky and Vokoun are my favorites at 72 and 92.

Justin St Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
They should retire a ?.

Because we don't know what number Soderberg would have worn.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:19 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeguinEra2010 View Post
If the Bruins one day gave the fans the choice of a number of a player that is not retired as of now who would you recommend. I have a couple in mind. Retire #1 twice for both Tiny Thompson and Frank Brimsek or Rick Middleton.
goalies imo should only have name up there because of numbers, however, as someone who remembers Middleton as a rookie on the Rags and watched his entire career it is a J-O-K-E he is not in the HOF and subsquently not hanging from the rafters

atleast I am convinced its not hockey related but other crap with the league-he knows it, others know it

yah, Middleton is the number that should hang but only after he goes in the HOF....he is far better than a third that are in and probably half the others

guy was a big game player and become an elite defensive forward (arguably one of the handful of best forwards on the PK and coming back on his man I ever saw and I seen everybody since 1966)- he is the wingers what Adam Oates is to centers

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:30 PM
northeastern

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
I'd retire #30 for CHEEVERS.
fixed.

I'd support Cheevers before timmy every day.

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Ratty

If they're going to put up two #1s for Thompson and Brimsek, how about two #8s for Neely and Ken Hodge.

In 881 games, Kenny amassed 800 points, close to a point a game. Had a 50 and 45 goal seasons and helped us to two Stanley Cups.

I'd go for Nifty, too, but, like don, I like the sweater in the rafters but the number still in play. That's what the Leafs do.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:02 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
I'd retire #30 for Timmy.
So would I. His career here was short but what an impact he had on this franchise.

BMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:23 PM
BergyDGD
Gurley 4 Heisman

#27 for Dougie Hamilton too early? Or #81 for Kessel and all the value he netted for the Bruins organization and make the "thank you Kessel" official

BergyDGD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:55 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
#30 for TT, as others have said.

Also, why does tank get ripped on for his shenanigans when a guy who bolted for $ w/ the WHA gets a free pass?

02-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Neely08

#30 as soon as his career is over.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Open Ice

Why don't the Bruins have a Hall of Fame?

Is there a story here about why not? Because that's maybe the solution to these numbers that deserve it but haven't gotten it. To me people like Oates or Cashman or Hodge don't quite hit the standard of Orr or Bourque or Neely, those transcendent players who change the way you think about the team or the game. But they do deserve some love.

Or, on the other hand. Even though Thompson and Brimsek have been denied something tells me that in this day and age of video and flashy graphics, and needing to sell it, those two are just grainy video and numbers to a lot of part time fans. So start the goalie party with retiring Thomas' #30 a few years after he's officially done. He might not even show up to the ceremony, but first cup in 39 years plus 2 Vezinas, I mean, I don't care how crucial Cheevers was playing behind that stacked team, Thomas wins.

Open Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:23 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Ice View Post
Or, on the other hand. Even though Thompson and Brimsek have been denied something tells me that in this day and age of video and flashy graphics, and needing to sell it, those two are just grainy video and numbers to a lot of part time fans. So start the goalie party with retiring Thomas' #30 a few years after he's officially done. He might not even show up to the ceremony, but first cup in 39 years plus 2 Vezinas, I mean, I don't care how crucial Cheevers was playing behind that stacked team, Thomas wins.
I agree, but I think with goalies there are just so few numbers to choose from to begin with. You have 1, 30, 31, 33 and 35 for the most part. (I know there are others, but those are the common ones)

So what do you do if you have a case like the Canadiens where arguably Dryden and Roy should have their numbers retired? (I know Ken was 29, but bear with me) Eventually it means that the active goalies can't wear their number of choice. A ring of honor/ hall of fame makes a lot of sense.

smithformeragent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Judge Smails
How 'bout a Fresca?

I don't want to see the Bruins turn into the Celtics with the retired numbers. Should be reserved for the elite of the elite.

Judge Smails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:34 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
#30 for TT, as others have said.

Also, why does tank get ripped on for his shenanigans when a guy who bolted for $ w/ the WHA gets a free pass?
Anybody who thinks Thomas' number gets retired after the way he went out is crazy. Not going to happen...ever.

Few things about Cheevers and why he gets a "free pass" as you say:

1) Different climate when he jumped to the WHA. Lots of players doing it back then.

2) He came back and played all/part of 5 more seasons with the B's, and didn't burn bridges the way Thomas has.

3) In addition to being a player, he also coached the B's for a number of seasons (head and goalie).

Besides all of that, Cheevers won 2 Cups to Thomas' 1. He gets the nod before TT does, even without the way he went out.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:38 PM
slasher911

I'd be really, really surprised if #33 isn't retired after Chara retires.

slasher911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:58 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsbruin View Post
I sure hope you mean Shawn Thornton for #10, and not that other
Thornton that was here.

Got no ill will towards Joe, but there is no reason why he should be retired.
HE was 10 on my list dude.

I listed 9 more deserving players before him.

He was on pace to get it retired if it wasn't for the trade and he was still here anyways. Moot point.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
Goalies? Thomas is ahead of the other goalies IMO. Not sure about Cheevers, of course the WHA hurts him since he left us for it. Brimsek and Thompson don't think so goalies were pretty replaceable back then.

Skaters? Cowley, Flamman, Park, Middleton, Cashman, Dumart are old timers deserving real thought about it. Oates and I guess Thornton for more recent guys (Joe shouldn't really be mentioned with the other legends but he's the most recent player not on the roster you could mention.)

In order of who deserves it most:

1 Thomas
2 Cowley
3 Middleton
4 Cashman
5 Park
6 Flamman
7 Cheevers
8 Oates
9 Dumart
10 Thornton

I don't think the Hodges/Marcottes/McNabs deserve any real consideration. Maybe a little bit for another franchise but not us.
Ah yes, what shall we do with a problem like Brad Park. Is he a Ranger, is he a Bruin....who does he really belong to? Too bad. A HOFer, one of the top D-men of all time, nice bridge between Orr and Bourque, but he's a man without an identity.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:31 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Anybody who thinks Thomas' number gets retired after the way he went out is crazy. Not going to happen...ever.

Few things about Cheevers and why he gets a "free pass" as you say:

1) Different climate when he jumped to the WHA. Lots of players doing it back then.

2) He came back and played all/part of 5 more seasons with the B's, and didn't burn bridges the way Thomas has.

3) In addition to being a player, he also coached the B's for a number of seasons (head and goalie).

Besides all of that, Cheevers won 2 Cups to Thomas' 1. He gets the nod before TT does, even without the way he went out.
It SERIOUSLY chaps my ass when people start going on about #30 being retired for Thomas. This post sums it up perfectly. Cheevers has done more than the Bruins than Thomas, on all levels. If #30 ever goes up (and it should) it should have Cheevers' name on it alone. And that was before all the **** Thomas just pulled.

If I had to pick one number to retire, it would be #10 for Bill Cowley. That should already be up there. Incredibly underrated and relatively unknown considering how good he was in his time.

#12 for Cashman is my 1A choice. Nobody left more blood on the ice for the Boston Bruins than Wayne Cashman. Straight warrior for a long time.

Middleton's #16 is a deserving candidate considering his accomplishments with the club. One of the best offensive players in team history, and one of the best in the league for a great career.

#1 is the number that could go up for two guys in Brimsek and Thompson; in fact it should. With what those two did for the Bruins in their careers and in the early years of the league they deserve the honor.

I'd put all of those numbers up personally, but that's just me. I'm a very big fan of tradition, and I don't mind at all honoring the best players in your franchise's history. Players wearing high numbers doesn't bother me at all.

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:57 AM
MAINE-IAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
HE was 10 on my list dude.

I listed 9 more deserving players before him.

He was on pace to get it retired if it wasn't for the trade and he was still here anyways. Moot point.
I think his point was that he should not be on the list whether its 9th or 99th.
I wonder if hub would have him on his list?

MAINE-IAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:52 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
I don't want to see the Bruins turn into the Celtics with the retired numbers. Should be reserved for the elite of the elite.
Guys like DJ and Maxwell deserve to be up there for the Celtics. Lewis is up there as a peace offering to his wife (look it up. Not the place for it here).

The Celtics won't retire anyone's number until Paul Pierce retires.

I think the Bruins should retire #1 and #30 for Cheevers. #37 is a lock.

Maybe the Bruins can do something like the C's did with Loscatoff for Timmy.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:17 AM
Paddington

I'm too young to have watched Nifty or the Bruins of the 70's. I started following the Bruins right around '88 and I don't think there are any more Bs who should be up there (from 88 - present). I'm strictly talking players who are no longer playing. Thomas is still technically on an NHL roster but when he retires I think he should be up there. At the very least, he should be "honoured". This is what the Leafs do. You go up to the rafters but players can still wear your number.

Paddington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:50 AM
jasonbaz77*

I watched both goalies play and while I love Cheesy to death, he was not in the same league as Thomas. Cheevers was not the PRIMARY reason for the wins. Thomas was. At different times Middleton was my favorite player, but again not # retirement level. It needs to be transcendent, not just popularity or high level of skill and stats. I am one of the few that raised an eyebrow at Neely getting his # retired. There are guys from other Era's that should have come first...but you know how it goes. Also, he never won a Cup...he could have but injuries prevented it. Short career when you really look at it objectively. NOW after what he has accomplished off the ice he clearly deserves it in retrospect.

Thomas is the only contemporary guy I think fits with those other numbers in the rafters. As said before, he's likely the best goalie I've ever seen. Not only was he great enough, he actually pulled it off.

#1 should go up as well.

jasonbaz77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:55 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin St Pierre View Post
I go only based on players I have seen play; it is hard for me to fathom the contributions of someone before my time. Don't take that as discounting those, however.

I would retire the #30 for Tim Thomas eventually. I think it would be a nice way to get closure on everything and let it all go, and I think he deserves it.

Out of pure bias, I want #11 taken out of circulation (not retired) to honor Axelsson.

But seriously, I'd like to see the #30 retired for Thomas when the time is right. More importantly, it would be nice to force goaltenders to pick something more interesting than 30. Bobrovsky and Vokoun are my favorites at 72 and 92.
How did I miss this?!?!?

Another PJ fan!!!!

BMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:05 PM
TheSeguinEra2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin St Pierre View Post

I am going to be completely honest. I dont Timmy played long enough to have his number retired and I dont think that it will ever get retired. Nothing against the guy but I think some of us have this bias towards him.

TheSeguinEra2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

#37 Bergy...MANY years from now.