HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Size and leadership

Old
02-09-2013, 10:40 PM
dkdanielkli
GO HABS GO

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dkdanielkli
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
More like 4 guys under 5"10 and one over 6'2 and that the goalie.
Yea, and then fans get surprised when we lose every single physical battle.

dkdanielkli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:44 PM
dkdanielkli
GO HABS GO

Send a message via Skype™ to dkdanielkli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Well, we need a bigger back line and it's time to replace Gionta and possibly Desharnais with bigger and hopefully better players. At the same time the smurf Gallagher was probably the only skill guy who showed up besides Eller and Plekanec.

This team definitely needs better balance. We need defenders who can clear the crease.
Exactly !!

dkdanielkli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

I'm tired of Smurfs. Keep Gallagher and trade DD, gionta, bouillon, etc.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Reuben

Our defence core has to be the smallest in the league and they aren't overly fast either.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:55 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
Our defence core has to be the smallest in the league and they aren't overly fast either.
D doesn't need speed, it needs agility, positioning, concentration and size.

Emelin for instance does not have the positioning or concentration whatsoever while Diaz, Gorges lack the size.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:57 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
When we play against bigger teams guys like Plekanec, Desharnais, Gionta disappears, where the heck is Cole? We need to change the environment, give Prust the C.

PLEK AND DESHARNAIS ARE PLAYING SCARED.
We can all see that, has long has those two are in the top two center role, we will never be a contender.

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:58 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbloodfins View Post
DD is awful. Enough said.
Agree. I would like to package DD, Pleks, Cole, and Gionta for some hockey pucks.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Lafleurs Guy

This is a preview of what playoff hockey is like. Fewer calls, rougher games, size matters...

Bottom line is that we STILL have too many small guys in the lineup. Gionta, Gallagher, DD... I'm sorry but we get outmatched out there. It's a weakness and we still need to address it.

As for the Leafs... they'll still miss the playoffs. But there's still Boston, Philly and others to face. We don't need to be a bunch of goons but we need to be bigger.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
D doesn't need speed, it needs agility, positioning, concentration and size.

Emelin for instance does not have the positioning or concentration whatsoever while Diaz, Gorges lack the size.
Then there's Boullion, who lacks it all but effort, and is on the PP.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SB164

Quote:
If I was Stubbs, I'd invite Kostopoulos to Moshies for a steak ASAP to hear his opinion on the Habs this year and how his family copes with travelling.
More Dave Stubbs jokes please

Edit: WhiskeySeven's on a roll tonight. Thanks for making some of us laugh after that dismal display by "Les Glorieux"

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:00 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Then there's Boullion, who lacks it all but effort, and is on the PP.
Don't you get it man, Bouillon has the power of heart and that's the greatest power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
More Dave Stubbs jokes please
I hope you saw my little blurb in the GDT. I spent five minutes on that one.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:02 PM
TennisMenace

Small up front, small at defense. Only our goalie is big. Too bad he can't play forward or defense.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Desharnais is a guy who needs sheltered minutes and to big dudes doing the work for him. McQuaid can just check him into the boards and neutralize him.

Hopefully, we can trade him to some team that needs a set up man on their 3rd line.

Aso, Gio is just as stony handed as Bourque ; it's just that he still had a bunch of chances to score 29 goals in past seasons.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:53 AM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I hope you saw my little blurb in the GDT. I spent five minutes on that one.
Yeah I did. "The waltz"

By the way Whiskey, just found this picture on Buzzfeed. Time to change the avatar again.

Last edited by SB164: 02-10-2013 at 01:02 AM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:05 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Yeah I did. "The waltz"

By the way Whiskey, just found this picture on Buzzfeed. Time to change the avatar again.

"in six games..."

:swoon:

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:13 AM
Help
Help Yourself

vCash: 135
Trade everyone, sign heavyweights, no more soft Euros

Seriously though, this is a slump that had to happen eventually, people need to be a little less reactionary. Gio is a fine captain

Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:18 PM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdanielkli View Post
We don't need goons, OK maybe 1. What we really need is to size the team up. It's impossible to play hockey when half of your team is 5"10.

So funny, I was thinking about it, when I was bantam \ midget I was around 5'10 170 lbs, and I was the smallest on my team at that time. Habs do have smaller guys than this. That's really weird as to why pros can build up a team with small guys, after watching the playoffs in the last few years. Defense, physical play and intimidation wins championships.

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:14 PM
TYLENOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halakalakaboom View Post
So funny, I was thinking about it, when I was bantam \ midget I was around 5'10 170 lbs, and I was the smallest on my team at that time. Habs do have smaller guys than this. That's really weird as to why pros can build up a team with small guys, after watching the playoffs in the last few years. Defense, physical play and intimidation wins championships.
Ya but that should change. Big, slow and tough teams are not the future of the NHL. Teams are drafting smaller every year now because they realise that slow goons that cant skate are going to be the demise of the sport. I much rather watch smurfs that can play a talent and speed game then a bunch of thugs that just slow the game down and turn it in to a punchfest rather than a sport. If hockey becomes more popular in the states, its because that culture is slowly changing.

TYLENOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:17 PM
TYLENOL

Ya but that should change. Big, slow and tough teams are not the future of the NHL. Teams are drafting smaller every year now because they realise that slow goons that cant skate are going to be the demise of the sport. I much rather watch smurfs that can play a talent and speed game then a bunch of thugs that just slow the game down and turn it in to a punchfest rather than a sport. If hockey becomes more popular in the states, its because that culture is slowly changing into a game with smaller but faster players.

TYLENOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:19 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Boston
Pleks didn't disappear in that game at all - he just somehow had the worst finish all game.

that breakaway

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:24 PM
StellerEller
Saku :D

vCash: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYLENOL View Post
Ya but that should change. Big, slow and tough teams are not the future of the NHL. Teams are drafting smaller every year now because they realise that slow goons that cant skate are going to be the demise of the sport. I much rather watch smurfs that can play a talent and speed game then a bunch of thugs that just slow the game down and turn it in to a punchfest rather than a sport. If hockey becomes more popular in the states, its because that culture is slowly changing into a game with smaller but faster players.
But there are plenty of players available every year in the draft who are big, can play and are at least reasonably fast. If teams are drafting smaller, they're not drafting guys who are 5ft7 they are drafting guys who are 5ft10, who are just an inch below league average. Plekanec, for example, despite some of the hate he gets on this board, doesn't have an issue with bigger players, he certainly knows how to handle himself, and with that said, he obviously would benefit more from big wingers. We shouldn't be for drafting huge knuckle draggers or smurfs, we should be looking at players who have enough of both worlds, like Pacioretty. He IMO is an example of the future mold of the NHL, big enough to not get pushed around, but skilled and fast enough to keep up with the water-bugs and the speedsters of the league. We need a mix of both, and if you look around at the successful teams of the NHL, they have done that.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:30 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
But there are plenty of players available every year in the draft who are big, can play and are at least reasonably fast. If teams are drafting smaller, they're not drafting guys who are 5ft7 they are drafting guys who are 5ft10, who are just an inch below league average. Plekanec, for example, despite some of the hate he gets on this board, doesn't have an issue with bigger players, he certainly knows how to handle himself, and with that said, he obviously would benefit more from big wingers. We shouldn't be for drafting huge knuckle draggers or smurfs, we should be looking at players who have enough of both worlds, like Pacioretty. He IMO is an example of the future mold of the NHL, big enough to not get pushed around, but skilled and fast enough to keep up with the water-bugs and the speedsters of the league. We need a mix of both, and if you look around at the successful teams of the NHL, they have done that.
Key words here. I see to much of the same.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:45 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
When we play against bigger teams guys like Plekanec, Desharnais, Gionta disappears, where the heck is Cole? We need to change the environment, give Prust the C.

Insult to my intelligence.. Plekanec is always battling hard, he is our most constant foward and by far..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 266
Quote:

Sorry? Do I miss something?

EDIT: We're 6-4-1 and people are going insane.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:54 AM
Estimated_Prophet

So many terrible posts in this thread it is difficult to single out the worst. Typical crybaby antics following a tough loss.

Gionta is a fantastic leader and a legitimate top 6 forward. Desharnais is and always was a stop-gap player and he will be here until we can replace him with a big two-way center. Unfortunately Eller is failing miserably in that regard.......

This fanbase is so bi-polar it can be embarrassing at times to be lumped in with them. The only player that the fans should be pissed with is Cole as he simply isn't putting in the effort and this isn't the first time in his career that he has pulled this disappearing act.

My biggest concern is Therrien's ability to concieve and implement an effective system and the possibility that Lefebvre might be an unmitigated disaster as head coach in Hamilton. At the moment these are just my concerns and there is plenty of time for them to prove me wrong. What is wrong however, is fans who overreact after a loss and do 180 degree swings in their opinions on players and other various issues.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote