HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Райан О'Рейли: In Soviet Ontario Offer Sheets Sign You; Rayan's 3rd Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2013, 10:58 PM
niwotsblessing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I imagine the Avs will move heaven and earth to avoid a one-year contract. He's up for arbitration right after the end of that contract, leading to more headaches and ugliness for everyone.
In just the same way as an offer sheet would allow both sides to save face by claiming they had to make a decision based on hard numbers, an arbitration number could resolve the deadlock without either side appearing to have "given in."

Old
02-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvs View Post
What is the worst case scenario for us?
Trade ROR and get nothing of value in return.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
I guess that depends on your take.

O'Reilly holds out. Avs grow impatient and trade him. The return is ****.

Avs cave and sign O'Reilly to a large contact. Duchene, Landeskog, Downie, and Varlamov now think they are entitled to a big payday. Avs have little money left to improve the roster through free agency.
You forgot O'Reilly dips back down to a 35 point center at $5M playing behind two centers, missing a year of NHL development, and with Landy flanking Duchene.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:09 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
You forgot O'Reilly dips back down to a 35 point center at $5M playing behind two centers, missing a year of NHL development, and with Landy flanking Duchene.
I don't think that there isn't a chance that if O'Reilly were to re-sign and start playing again, and Landeskog would get healthy, that the two wouldn't be paired together. It was a proven line last year and it would be ludicrous to not attempt that pairing again.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:15 PM
CB Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I don't think that there isn't a chance that if O'Reilly were to re-sign and start playing again, and Landeskog would get healthy, that the two wouldn't be paired together. It was a proven line last year and it would be ludicrous to not attempt that pairing again.
Landeskog's never really had a chance with anyone else. Still plenty of games left this season, Landeskog may play better with Stastny or Duchene.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:09 AM
ChrisNI

vCash: 50

What if the Avs not signing ROR is just tactics?
They will wait until about the mid point of the season when everyone else is tired, sign him and bring him in to light up the league and slingshot us to a cup!

They currently have him training in Russia in the mountains!
I was able to get the top secret footage as proof but I know all you haters will just think it's a conspiracy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SUzcDUERLo

I'm a BELIEVER!!!

sorry youtube tags just aren't working for me.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
No team will ever do that, he'll get traded in the offseason if he doesn't sign a contract by the end of the season. Ryan hasn't done anything wrong as well, what he's doing is nothing new. In the end I think he gets what he wants.
Preds did with Radulov. Slightly different situation, but the basic premise is the same. Player with star potential but unproven ability that the team is having a tiff with.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:54 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

This video makes a lot of sense about the situation with ROR and his Dad.

Old
02-10-2013, 03:41 PM
S3rkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post

This video makes a lot of sense about the situation with ROR and his Dad.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kschey View Post
By the way, O'Reilly is not being paid any salary at this point, is he?
No. He has no contract.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:30 PM
The Shermanator
Butts

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peckerskull View Post
No. He has no contract.
He's working at McDonald's.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peckerskull View Post
No. He has no contract.
So if he really holds out for the whole season he misses out on about ~2 million $ if we assume that the avs want to pay him 3.5/82 games yr.
On a 5yr contract that is about 0.4 million $/yr.

It really has to be either about term or about that guy's complexes because he wants to earn more money than Duchene and/or EJ.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:26 PM
IceRat
#BallsOnTheTable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
The hyperbole around ROR is just amazing at this point from both directions. he s either a godly young center or a self centered ass. Has anyone even considered that last year might really just be an aberration? Or does that just not factor in? I still expect to see him get traded Drury style in the offseason.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=104.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
The hyperbole around ROR is just amazing at this point from both directions. he s either a godly young center or a self centered ass. Has anyone even considered that last year might really just be an aberration? Or does that just not factor in? I still expect to see him get traded Drury style in the offseason.
Nope. He's just starting to reach his potential.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Nope. He's just starting to reach his potential.
Agreed. Again, it's not like he sucked his first two seasons in the NHL. He has steadily improved every year.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by volaju View Post
You've made your point, Sherman. Play hardball with the Avs and you'll lose. Great. Now what's your exit strategy? Will you shoot yourself in the foot and hurt the rebuild just to make a point, or will you make a small peace offering so everyone can move on?
The exit strategy is that he'll get signed at some point. Perhaps RoR comes to his senses and accepts the offer(s) presented to him OR the Avs bump up the offers in an attempt to get him signed. Either way, it's going to be followed by a giant collective sigh of relief from all Avalanche fans. THEN, when he's playing well and no one is expecting it, he'll be traded and probably to a HORRIBLE destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Personally I hope Avs to make clear that a trade is not an option, that they will match any offer sheet and the next time he plays a NHL game he'll be wearing an Avs jersey or be 27 years old.

Avs have done nothing wrong here and I see no reason they should let the player dictate what is happening. Enough is enough. He can go play in Russia or sit in Ontario if he wants. Being offered the money he is being offered isn't an insult, nor is telling him that the team is unsure about how sustainable last year was an insult so grave that he can't get over it.

I mean this in the nicest possible way: Ryan O'Reilly needs a reality check.
Great post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
The team has no interest in trading him(assumption based on his agent not being asked for potential contract terms to any other team) and would match almost any offer sheet(and he's not signing an offer sheet).

We all need to be patient. This is a lost season for the organization, whether we like it or not.
I think this is spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
I guess that depends on your take.

O'Reilly holds out. Avs grow impatient and trade him. The return is ****.

Avs cave and sign O'Reilly to a large contact. Duchene, Landeskog, Downie, and Varlamov now think they are entitled to a big payday. Avs have little money left to improve the roster through free agency.
Don't be silly. The Avs will NOT trade his 'RIGHTS' and trade him to another team unsigned and therefore accept a lesser return. THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. They'll get him signed up and then trade him and like I said, it's probably not going to be to a great destination but the return will be solid, I have ZERO doubt of that.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:16 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Pay him already

Old
02-10-2013, 08:20 PM
IceRat
#BallsOnTheTable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Pay him already
they will, sign the contract already

Old
02-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I see the negotiations turning with every game.

For ROR to lose a service year is a boneheaded move, especially in a lockout year with reduced # of games. If he really wants the money and big payday, then he needs to sign so he can be one more year closer to UFA.

With every day that passes, the pendulum swings to the Avs favor. At some point, they will probably pull the rug on the negotiations and effectively take away the chance of a service year and a deal. If they do that, everyone will be in arms here screaming bloody murder but it's good business for the Avs to keep him wrapped up for one additional year. You don't want to give him a service year by allowing him to play some super short schedule like 20 games or something. In fact, there's probably a min. # of games you have to play to get a service year, but I'm not CBA efficient enough to know what that # is.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I see the negotiations turning with every game.

For ROR to lose a service year is a boneheaded move, especially in a lockout year with reduced # of games. If he really wants the money and big payday, then he needs to sign so he can be one more year closer to UFA.

With every day that passes, the pendulum swings to the Avs favor. At some point, they will probably pull the rug on the negotiations and effectively take away the chance of a service year and a deal. If they do that, everyone will be in arms here screaming bloody murder but it's good business for the Avs to keep him wrapped up for one additional year. You don't want to give him a service year by allowing him to play some super short schedule like 20 games or something. In fact, there's probably a min. # of games you have to play to get a service year, but I'm not CBA efficient enough to know what that # is.
That's when Meehan and the NHLPA say the team isn't negotiating in good faith and this whole thing gets even more embarrassing for the Avs.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:52 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
We all need to be patient. This is a lost season for the organization, whether we like it or not.
Well, if so, that would be 3 lost seasons in the past 5 years (and missing the playoffs 5 out of the last 7). How patient should people really be?

Old
02-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
That's when Meehan and the NHLPA say the team isn't negotiating in good faith and this whole thing gets even more embarrassing for the Avs.
Well they still have the overpayment offer on the table, so I can't see how Meehan could say the Avs aren't negotiating in good faith.

Only way of course would be that Sherman takes back the offer, but I doubt they'll do that. The only way they might is if there is only 5 games left (6 was the cut-off for an RFA-year this season wasn't it?) then they might offer a 3y/3.5mil instead, which essentially then is the same as the now offered 2y/3.5mil deal. (i.e. 2 years of service).

Old
02-11-2013, 12:36 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
Well they still have the overpayment offer on the table, so I can't see how Meehan could say the Avs aren't negotiating in good faith.

Only way of course would be that Sherman takes back the offer, but I doubt they'll do that. The only way they might is if there is only 5 games left (6 was the cut-off for an RFA-year this season wasn't it?) then they might offer a 3y/3.5mil instead, which essentially then is the same as the now offered 2y/3.5mil deal. (i.e. 2 years of service).
I wonder what the deadline is this year for RFA's? In a regular season isn't it December or something like that?

Old
02-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I wonder what the deadline is this year for RFA's? In a regular season isn't it December or something like that?
I don't believe there even is a deadline this year.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:40 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
He's working at McDonald's.
Best fry man in the last 25 years.

Closed Thread