HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Team 990 Top 5 remaining UFA

Old
07-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

vCash: 500
Team 990 Top 5 remaining UFA

In order of importance :

1- Samsonov
2- Sykora (Said that Le Journal de Montréal is reporting Habs are interested....)
3- Carter
4- Kozlov (Said that he had good chemistry when playing with Kovalev in the Olympics)
5- Lindros

Last 2 guys, they wouldn't give more than a 1-year contract or a 1 + 1.....

They must have forget Shanahan, but they also said that he wouldn't fit on our team, which I obviously don't agree. And they were saying that there's no good d-men availalbe which I also don't agree since Markov is still out there.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I'd be willing to take a chance on Kozlov.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:00 AM
deandebean

When you're up to Kozlov's type of players, you should refrain from signing anybody. If it's that bad, then forget UFAs. Kozlov is not a better alternative to one of the Habs' players.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:02 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
When you're up to Kozlov's type of players, you should refrain from signing anybody. If it's that bad, then forget UFAs. Kozlov is not a better alternative to one of the Habs' players.
Agreed.

If you are down to considering signing Kozlov, you got bigger problems, lol. I would even keep Ribeiro.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:03 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Sure the guy is a classic underachiever but can we underestimate his chemistry with Kovalev? Or are we overrating that supposed chemistry? Anybody really remember what they looked like together???

Old
07-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake View Post
Sure the guy is a classic overachiever but can we underestimate his chemistry with Kovalev? Or are we overrating that supposed chemistry? Anybody really remember what they looked like together???
Classic overachiever?
Are you sure you don't mean "underachiever"? This guy was suppose to be the next Lemieux and never even come close to one tenth of that.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:07 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Classic overachiever?
Are you sure you don't mean "underachiever"? This guy was suppose to be the next Lemieux and never even come close to one tenth of that.

oops!

Totally, just changed it! Thanks.

Old
07-06-2006, 08:49 AM
montreal25m

Kozlov

A one year deal..ok..one thing I remember with Kozlov...he was very good at penelty shots....

montreal25m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Bob Bastards

1- Samsonov --> Do we really need another smallish forward? For is price tag I will be more than willing to give the spot to one of our young gun and hope for the best. At least a young player willl have a good excuse for not putting point on the board. When was the last real productive season of Samsonov? I don't remember...
2- Sykora --> Is it just me or Sykora look like a high pay Zednik? See Samsonov anwser for more detail.
3- Carter --> He ask for 3 mills a year and he never score more then 30 goals in a given year.
4- Kozlov --> I would be ready to give him a cheap contract. It can go both way: Left, he go back to is Florida form and put 70 pts, Right, we end up with a Dagenais clone...
5- Lindros --> I will prefer a kick in the nuts, the only game breaking ability left in the guy it's is attitude. Plus I don't feel good having him convulsing on the ice for is next concussion...

Bob Bastards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Stone Cutter

1- Samsonov: Unless Bob as a deal in place that bring a big centerman I would pass. Like most, I beleive that we have enough of the small speedy forward.
2- Sykora: if we are ready to sign him, that mean Zed is good enough to play for us too... I don't want him... can't see what he brings more then zednik
3- Carter: man... I would pass on him too. I'm sure the price tag is going to be quite high for what he bring. However, I have to say that I haven't seen him play much.
4- Kozlov: hmmm I would be ready to sign him at a low and short term contract. If he has chemistry with Kovalev, then re-sign him...
5- Lindros: no....He's gone get booooo more then Brisebois

Stone Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal25m View Post
A one year deal..ok..one thing I remember with Kozlov...he was very good at penelty shots....
That's all I was thinking. One year deal and see what happens.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Pat

*almost* eveybody here agrees we need a change at 2nd center, Ribs ain't cutting it. even Gainey said he wants a too add size at center. Koivu and Plekanecs are set, no doudt there. I don't think anybody will take Bonk and his contract. so that leaves Ribs.
of those 5 players names by team 990, cal me crazy but I think I'd give a chance to Koslov. seems to have a good chemistry with Kovalev, why not give it a try. I don't think he'll get many offers. could a cheap 2 year deal cut it?
I dunno, I just think it's worth a try. Habs core needs a change if we wanna make pass the first round. I'm not saying Koslov is the answer, but it could be a start
and there's still a possibility of Shanahan or Sykora

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:16 AM
LeMAD

Ribeiro is ten times better than Kozlov...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
that's your opinion and I respect it, but I don't agree. I think Koslov with Kovalev could be something to watch

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:21 AM
GoHabsGO252006

I would take Samsonov if the price is right, no overpayingon any long term deals for tehse people.

Sykora is useless as many have said he's a more expensive Zednik and I agree.

Kozlov I would take a flyer on a 1 year deal if there is no other deals in place to bring in a center than why not the cap space will just rot, might as well see if some magic occurs, if not, then at the end of the year no harm no foul let him go.

Lindross: NO WAY, this guy doesn't deserve the honor of wearing a habs jersey

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Stone Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Well... that is very open for discussion.

Stone Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:23 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

I think one of Shanahan or Samsonov is still the best fit if we want to be part of the free agency madness, but if BG really wanted to acquire an additional scoring winger and those 2 proved too expensive, then I guess as a last resort, if cheap, that Sykora could be worth a shot.

If we were to keep the lines similar to last year's, then I guess Sykora wouldn't slow down Koivu and Higgins as much as Ryder did, and Ryder would be better served playing on the left wing where he can unleash better one-timers fed by Kovalev and Ribeiro.

Higgins - Koivu - Sykora
Ryder - Ribeiro - Kovalev

I guess you could argue that those top-2 lines would be slightly better than last year's top-2 lines, although deep down inside I know I'd be praying that one of Perezhogin, Kostitsyn or Latendresse proves ready to take over. I'd much rather see Ryder on the 3rd with loads of PP time and Sykora, well, not at all.

Not a good year for free agents, quite the mediocre forward crop.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:26 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal25m View Post
Dagenais?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:27 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
I think one of Shanahan or Samsonov is still the best fit if we want to be part of the free agency madness, but if BG really wanted to acquire an additional scoring winger and those 2 proved too expensive, then I guess as a last resort, if cheap, that Sykora could be worth a shot.

If we were to keep the lines similar to last year's, then I guess Sykora wouldn't slow down Koivu and Higgins as much as Ryder did, and Ryder would be better served playing on the left wing where he can unleash better one-timers fed by Kovalev and Ribeiro.

Higgins - Koivu - Sykora
Ryder - Ribeiro - Kovalev

I guess you could argue that those top-2 lines would be slightly better than last year's top-2 lines, although deep down inside I know I'd be praying that one of Perezhogin, Kostitsyn or Latendresse proves ready to take over. I'd much rather see Ryder on the 3rd with loads of PP time and Sykora, well, not at all.

Not a good year for free agents, quite the mediocre forward crop.

Ryder is NOT a third line player, he doesn't body check, doesn't work in the corners, is horrible defensively, etc... He is exactly like Zednik, a completely useless 30 goal scorer. If not in the top 2 lines, he is 100% useless.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Cutter View Post
2- Sykora: if we are ready to sign him, that mean Zed is good enough to play for us too... I don't want him... can't see what he brings more then zednik
Sykora is much more talented than Zednik, but he's also much softer too. I don't think the 2 compare all that well. Sykora can pass a puck but won't pay the price. Zednik has often been willing to pay the price, but didn't know what to do next.

Old
07-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Ryder is NOT a third line player, he doesn't body check, doesn't work in the corners, is horrible defensively, etc... He is exactly like Zednik, a completely useless 30 goal scorer. If not in the top 2 lines, he is 100% useless.
That's only if you view the 3rd line in a traditional checking way. I think the Habs are to a point where they don't have much in terms of top end talent but have enough depth to roll 3 balanced scoring lines and one checking/energy line. Ryder's bread and butter is PP, not 5-on-5.

Old
07-06-2006, 09:30 AM
GoHabsGO252006

I do think that one of PErezhogin or Kostytsin will be ready and able to play on the second line. They are both super skilled, I think that signing a Samsonov or a Shanahan (especially) would help, but Sykora strikes me as a useless move. We already have Zednik on the third line, Zhogs and Kosty offer more upside than signing sykora. If the roster made no other changes (hopefully not) and we acquried sykora then what, kosty sits? or zhogs sits?

Unless we are dealing, Zed or Ryder and of course Ribs and Abby then i don't like a sykora acquistion at all. waste of a spot

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Kaizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake View Post
4- Kozlov (Said that he had good chemistry when playing with Kovalev in the Olympics)
He played with Kovalev... rly ?

Kaizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Sykora does have 8 seasons with more than 20 goals while Zed had 3. And he did have 16 goals and 30 points in 41 games with the Rags......An upgrade over Zed, not a huge one but an upgrade offensively nevertheless....

I would take a chance on Kozlov as well but definately, if Kozlov wants a 2-year contract, give him a 1 + 1 team option and see what he does.

I see Kozlov and then I see Zubrus. Underachievers that when used properly could play well at one time in their career. Kozlov and Kovy could be a great match.

Old
07-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer View Post
He played with Kovalev... rly ?

Again, I ask for confirmation about this 'cause I didn't remember Kozlov with Kovy on his line. But that's what they said so.....I guess Kovy played on 2 lines at one point so probably end up playing with Kozlov at one point.