HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Schroeder Appreciation Thread!

Old
02-09-2013, 07:35 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

vCash: 500
Wasn't Hodgson compared to Roy?

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Shareefruck

Honestly, I think we need to cool it with Schroeder's offensive expectations if we're expecting Roy out of him.

^^ Hodgson was closer to Roy, IMO.

I think Schroeder tops out at as consistent 55 point guy that never gets close to PPG, personally.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Scurr

Schroeder has better hands than Morrison did/does. I think he has the higher ceiling. With that said, I'd take a Morrison (in his prime) on this team as a 3rd line centre for sure.

It's a little early for all of this imo but it's really nice to be able to talk about some good young players on the team.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Burrows Bite

I don't think Schroeder has better hands. Seems Schroeder misses hits the net alot when he gets a shot. I see him as a better winger. His game is is good on the boards, he wins battles and can cause turnovers with his speed.

Burrows Bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Not true, IMO.Ehh.. that's jumping the gun abit isn't it? Schroeder isn't "strong" he's just had an easier time handling the physicality than other guys his size would.

What do you attribute that ease to? I think it's due to his strength, which is a documented asset from as well back as the combine.

Quote:
I remember Morrison being exactly that-- He was way tougher, more aggressive, and stronger on his skates than someone like Naslund, despite the size. I don't ever remember his size being an issue.

I think the comparable is nearly spot on, both in terms of strength, skill, and the way they play the game, personally.

I think Schroeder's "skill" is seriously overstated. He has the practical tools he needs to contribute offensively (the way Morrison did-- great smarts, senses, puck distribution, and a powerful accurate shot) but I would never expect him to be a player who lights it up.

Morrison's size wasn't an issue, it's the way he approached the game. He relied on his strong stick to craftiness to see him through. Not his body positioning and strength on his skates. This is what Schroeder plays like.

The skill aspect is dubious I agree. The fact is that Schroeder is not dynamic. Not like some of the players you see around the league. He's skilled, but he doesn't overtly show it, or exploit others with it. Some smaller guys out there can literally create their own offense... he's not that. At least, so far.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Schroeder has better hands than Morrison did/does. I think he has the higher ceiling. With that said, I'd take a Morrison (in his prime) on this team as a 3rd line centre for sure.

It's a little early for all of this imo but it's really nice to be able to talk about some good young players on the team.
I strongly disagree with your contention that Schroeder has better hands and a higher ceiling than Morrison. Brendan Morrison has been better at every level (and by a pretty decent margin too).

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Honestly, I think we need to cool it with Schroeder's offensive expectations if we're expecting Roy out of him.

^^ Hodgson was closer to Roy, IMO.

I think Schroeder tops out at as consistent 55 point guy that never gets close to PPG, personally.

You're right, I'm speaking more about style. Schroeder represents Roy more in how he plays. I keep coming back to Koivu too. I don't expect him to produce like them. That's a tall order and I haven't seen enough from Schroeder at the NHL level to believe he can reach that height.

Hodgson is closer to Roy, but I think he's actually better offensively, and far worse defensively. The key difference being each player's speed.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
What do you attribute that ease to? I think it's due to his strength, which is a documented asset from as well back as the combine.

Morrison's size wasn't an issue, it's the way he approached the game. He relied on his strong stick to craftiness to see him through. Not his body positioning and strength on his skates. This is what Schroeder plays like.

The skill aspect is dubious I agree. The fact is that Schroeder is not dynamic. Not like some of the players you see around the league. He's skilled, but he doesn't overtly show it, or exploit others with it. Some smaller guys out there can literally create their own offense... he's not that. At least, so far.
I think it shows that he has some strength, but nothing out of the ordinary that seperates him from Morrison, who didn't get pushed around either.

The second point I can see to some degree, but I've never seen Schroeder as the type who predominantly excels at that, or Morrison as a guy who doesn't shield the puck with his body, personally.

When Morrison played with Cooke, Schaefer, and Linden, he was not an on-his-stick-off his stick guy who avoided/was ineffective at protecting the puck with his body at all. I would attribute that impression to playing with Naslund/Bertuzzi, who had the puck all the time.

Talking about this really makes me miss having the type of player Morrison was on this team.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 02-09-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Lundface

Quote:

Thats exactly what I would say about him as well. The kid has the tools, you can see it when he saucer passes with ease or the odd occasion where he will pull off a toe drag to perfection but for whatever reason he doesn't use it much.

He seemed to use it more prior to being drafted, perhaps because he was flanked with big skilled wingers. Who knows if he will ever start to show offensive flair but he has improved leaps and bounds in terms of his overall game.

Lundface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
You're right, I'm speaking more about style. Schroeder represents Roy more in how he plays. I keep coming back to Koivu too. I don't expect him to produce like them. That's a tall order and I haven't seen enough from Schroeder at the NHL level to believe he can reach that height.

Hodgson is closer to Roy, but I think he's actually better offensively, and far worse defensively. The key difference being each player's speed.
This is the best comparison between Hodgson and Schroeder as well. I believe this to be the fact.

This is why I believe that Schroeder will end up with the better career.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:23 PM
timw33

Congrats to Jordan Shroeder on his first NHL goal, he has absolutely earned it and is showing he's an NHL player. Has been robbed of two assists and has looked like a true 3-zone player.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:26 PM
StringerBell

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:27 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I stuck behind this kid when almost everyone here was looking to trade him. Love this kid and the way he plays. Glad to see him finally get his first goal. I predict his second will come soon.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:32 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I stuck behind this kid when almost everyone here was looking to trade him. Love this kid and the way he plays. Glad to see him finally get his first goal. I predict his second will come soon.
He's the kind of guy who thrives with confidence. Waiting to see him rip one top corner.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:34 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
He's the kind of guy who thrives with confidence. Waiting to see him rip one top corner.
Agreed. I wanna see what he can do leading a line rush too. He's going to be an entertaining player to watch.

02-09-2013, 11:39 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

There's gotta be a great picture online somewhere of that celebration. All alone.

Szechwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szechwan View Post
There's gotta be a great picture online somewhere of that celebration. All alone.
That's going to be an awesome photo for him to have for life.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Congrats to Jordan Shroeder on his first NHL goal, he has absolutely earned it and is showing he's an NHL player. Has been robbed of two assists and has looked like a true 3-zone player.

Good touch on his first goal. Did they do the recount for his no assist/assist against MIN?

Getting better. A ways to go, but getting better.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Good touch on his first goal. Did they do the recount for his no assist/assist against MIN?

Getting better. A ways to go, but getting better.
They do the recounts on Sunday so we'll know Monday. He should also be credited with an assist on the Bieksa goal against the Oilers. If he gets both then he's up to 5 points in 9 games.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
They do the recounts on Sunday so we'll know Monday. He should also be credited with an assist on the Bieksa goal against the Oilers. If he gets both then he's up to 5 points in 9 games.

Not bad for the rook. Showing some promise.

Is it rare to have the recount award points like this in arrears?

Old
02-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Not bad for the rook. Showing some promise.

Is it rare to have the recount award points like this in arrears?
It's fairly common. They do quite a few over the weekend. They even recount +/-, SOG and stuff like that.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:59 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
I strongly disagree with your contention that Schroeder has better hands and a higher ceiling than Morrison. Brendan Morrison has been better at every level (and by a pretty decent margin too).
Dude, he's played 8 ****ing games.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
It's fairly common. They do quite a few over the weekend. They even recount +/-, SOG and stuff like that.

Good stuff. Looking forward to a change in his stats.

Just curious, who does he remind you of out there?

Old
02-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Nuck This

Schroeders first 8 games>>>>>Hodgsons first 8 games

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:03 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Schroeders first 8 games>>>>>Hodgsons first 8 games
It's a good point! Hodgson didn't do too much when Kesler was out with his labrum issues. Schroeder is doing much more while Kesler is out with labrum issues.

KESLER Y U NO GET BETTER LABRUMS!?

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote