HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXXII - Kessel Run Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Then we should move on from them. Paying over $12M/year for two players who aren't producing at an elite level is a recipe for disaster and will be the beginning of this team turning into what the Calgary Flames are.
You take the Sedins away from this team and we're wishing we're the Calgary Flames.

Can't believe someone could follow the Canucks and have such a poor understanding of what makes them successful. Vancouver have been useless when the Sedins aren't healthy and carrying this team offensively. These guys have been top 10 players in the NHL over the last 3 years - how we improve by 'moving on from them' is such a preposterous position it's mind-boggling.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:08 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
You take the Sedins away from this team and we're wishing we're the Calgary Flames.

Can't believe someone could follow the Canucks and have such a poor understanding of what makes them successful. Vancouver have been useless when the Sedins aren't healthy and carrying this team offensively. These guys have been top 10 players in the NHL over the last 3 years - how we improve by 'moving on from them' is such a preposterous position it's mind-boggling.
Olli Jokinen?

Old
02-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
I wonder how Kesler and company would be playing if they were facing the oppositions' top defensive pairing each and every game.
They'd probably play great, right? The Sedins just suck.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
02-09-2013, 07:10 PM
dave babych returns

Just standard Pauser BS.

If we could get them at $5m cap hits over a long term I'd be happy, failing that the same cap hit they have now over 2-3 years max.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:15 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Sedins ARE the Canucks. More than Linden actually.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:37 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Just standard Pauser BS.

If we could get them at $5m cap hits over a long term I'd be happy, failing that the same cap hit they have now over 2-3 years max.
There are legitimate concerns for signing them long term after their current contracts expire. I remember they originally wanted 8 year deals at their current cap hits, but Gillis was unwilling to go over 5. Wonder if they'd sign 3 years at 6.1 again to get what they originally sought?

Old
02-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:

look i don't think you understand

we could be paying that $12 million to gaborik and cammalleri RIGHT NOW

Old
02-09-2013, 08:49 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

They've been bad in the playoffs. They're now starting to decline in the regular season despite eating up all these offensive zone starts. Signing them to the same contract going forward would be a bad signing for the Canucks.

02-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Eddie Vedder

Quote:
They've been bad in the playoffs. They're now starting to decline in the regular season despite eating up all these offensive zone starts. Signing them to the same contract going forward would be a bad signing for the Canucks.
I like your opinions, you should try out for The Score and FINALLY bring real hockey analysis back to our airwaves.

#TeamPauser

Old
02-09-2013, 10:21 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
There are legitimate concerns for signing them long term after their current contracts expire. I remember they originally wanted 8 year deals at their current cap hits, but Gillis was unwilling to go over 5. Wonder if they'd sign 3 years at 6.1 again to get what they originally sought?
I just see them as such humble guys who might want to go all in for a cup and take big cuts on 2 year extensions so the team can absolutely go for it.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:27 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
I just see them as such humble guys who might want to go all in for a cup and take big cuts on 2 year extensions so the team can absolutely go for it.
Would be ideal.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:29 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
A cut to $4M each allows us to add another $4M player. No excuses not to have depth with that kind of luxury.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:34 PM
timw33

Quote:
A cut to $4M each allows us to add another $4M player. No excuses not to have depth with that kind of luxury.
That's kinda what I'm thinking. 2 year $4M per deal to make one final push with Vancouver. And since our D core is locked up it means we can go out and get a $4-5M forward to add that much needed scoring depth. And if we move Ballard too (I know he's been playing well), then that's two 4M forwards.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Epimetheus

2 years 4M?I don't think that's possible.They'll be 34 so a 2 year contract does not work for them.3 years with cap hit of 5M is the best we could do and even that is a stretch.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:09 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
2 years 4M?I don't think that's possible.They'll be 34 so a 2 year contract does not work for them.3 years with cap hit of 5M is the best we could do and even that is a stretch.
Why doesn't a 2 year contract for less money not work?

Old
02-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Unless their production declines significantly. They are not going to take that much of a cut. Frankly, if they go below $5.5M I would be astonished.

Old
02-10-2013, 03:59 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
I dont think low balling the most loyal players we've had is the best way to build a team a and reputation of a destination to free agents.

They shouldnt be taking paycuts actually.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:38 AM
pitseleh

50 point players get $4.5-5 million per year in UFA. Barring a huge decline in their play, you have to be nuts to think the Sedins will take $4 million per year to stay. Just this past offseason Ray Whitney got a two year, $9 million contract as a forty year old.

Hell, Alex Burrows just got a deal that pays him $4.5 million per year for his 34 and 35 year old seasons and somehow the Sedins are supposed to take less for the same years?

Old
02-10-2013, 07:40 AM
oceanchild

If anything they have been horribly underpaid given the points they have put up and leading this team to 2 PT's and a stanley cup. I would be happy if they signed a 2-4 year deal at the same price. 6 million gets you a 50 point player in Edmonton.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Vajakki

Now that Schroeder looks like a real deal, I really like the Canucks forward group once everyone gets healthy.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Raymond-Lapierre-Weise
Malhotra/Volpatti

If Kesler gets back to that Selke season level, that's a top 3 offence in the league. There's a lot of versatility on the wings if someone is struggling; Booth, Higgins and Raymond can all move around on the left side in 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines, as well as Kassian and Burrows can switch places when needed on the right side.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
50 point players get $4.5-5 million per year in UFA. Barring a huge decline in their play, you have to be nuts to think the Sedins will take $4 million per year to stay. Just this past offseason Ray Whitney got a two year, $9 million contract as a forty year old.

Hell, Alex Burrows just got a deal that pays him $4.5 million per year for his 34 and 35 year old seasons and somehow the Sedins are supposed to take less for the same years?
While this person is calling for us to dump a ton of assets for the opportunity to pay a PPG player close to $10mil a season. Break the bank for perennial loser Alex Ovechkin but stiff-arm the 2 players that have led this team to it's most successful period in franchise history. Even Mike Milbury shutters at the thought of this.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Tim McCracken
Good loser = LOSER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
Now that Schroeder looks like a real deal, I really like the Canucks forward group once everyone gets healthy.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Raymond-Lapierre-Weise
Malhotra/Volpatti

If Kesler gets back to that Selke season level, that's a top 3 offence in the league. There's a lot of versatility on the wings if someone is struggling; Booth, Higgins and Raymond can all move around on the left side in 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines, as well as Kassian and Burrows can switch places when needed on the right side.
Why would you change up every line on a team that has found some chemistry everywhere and appears to be hitting it's stride? When Kesler is ready you swap out one guy out of the top 3 lines and they're good to go.

Sedins - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Kassian
Hansen - Schroeder - Raymond
Malhotra - Lapierre - Weise/Volpatti

Deal Booth for a pick or mid prospect. He's never fit on this team and is a waste of cap space.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post

Any comparable numbers from contracts just signed for this CBA? Cap goes down to $64.3 million next season. Has to be a negative impact on future contracts. Question is, how much an impact. Ovechkin's contract didn't look as bad on a seemingly continually increasing cap; but $9.5 million looks ugly on a $64.3 million cap.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:02 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Any comparable numbers from contracts just signed for this CBA? Cap goes down to $64.3 million next season. Has to be a negative impact on future contracts. Question is, how much an impact. Ovechkin's contract didn't look as bad on a seemingly continually increasing cap; but $9.5 million looks ugly on a $64.3 million cap.
Well, going into a $64 million cap last time, Brad Richards got $6.7 million per year taking him until he is 40. Erik Cole got the exact same deal as Alex Burrows (covering the same ages) and to that point he had broken 60 points once. Ville Leino and Tomas Fleischmann got $4.5 million on long term deals and each had broken 40 points once.

Even if the Canucks get the Sedins at $5-$5.5 million on a short term deal (2-3 years), they're taking a paycut and a pretty hefty one at that.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Gillis won't give the twins a 2 yr deal, he'll max out their contracts as it'll be their last before they're 35+, I imagine both will be given a 5 yr front loaded deal and then everyone will just go with it

does everyone forget that they're only 32?

Closed Thread