HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Miller and Vanek carrying 18 bums

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2013, 10:07 PM
  #51
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh
 
drinking bleach irl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 10,930
vCash: 300
You'll note that exactly 21:30:25 Sekera turns into a terrible defender

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:24 PM
  #52
Bosswally
Registered User
 
Bosswally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Johnson City, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
Ruff's post game speech


Bosswally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:27 PM
  #53
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 26,869
vCash: 500
I'm not sure I can recall off hand a worse performance. I am disgusted and embarrassed; I found myself rooting for a loss.

You've got probably the weakest, softest, empty-headed d unit to ever be assembled. Ennis, Stafford, and Foligno combined to form one of the toughest sights I've seen line-wise in a good while. Gerbe should not be on the team anymore. Hecht is horrendous. Pominville didn't play well despite his linemates coming to play.

And my good god - get Leopol_ the **** gone. I'm sick. I have stomach pains. We got outshot 3:1. Lost every puck battle possible. Lazy, disinterested, half assed effort that made me cringe.

Putting yourself through this game was equal to self torture. Without a doubt.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:36 PM
  #54
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker
 
VaporTrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buffalo
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsg87 View Post
What has Hecht done to warrant playing 18 minutes?
His poor play a few seasons ago when he decided to take a year off.....Otherwise Lindy would have him out there 20+

VaporTrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:37 PM
  #55
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I'm not sure I can recall off hand a worse performance. I am disgusted and embarrassed; I found myself rooting for a loss.

You've got probably the weakest, softest, empty-headed d unit to ever be assembled. Ennis, Stafford, and Foligno combined to form one of the toughest sights I've seen line-wise in a good while. Gerbe should not be on the team anymore. Hecht is horrendous. Pominville didn't play well despite his linemates coming to play.

And my good god - get Leopol_ the **** gone. I'm sick. I have stomach pains. We got outshot 3:1. Lost every puck battle possible. Lazy, disinterested, half assed effort that made me cringe.

Putting yourself through this game was equal to self torture. Without a doubt.
I would put a good chunk of that on Stafford. He has been bad all season. He leads the team in turnovers with 12, seems to have forgotten how to forecheck and looks listless. The other two are kids that should be leaning on him not the other way around. Would like to see Stafford off that line but not sure who would be a good replacement.

As I said earlier... Soooooooo tired of Stafford.


Last edited by joshjull: 02-09-2013 at 10:50 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:46 PM
  #56
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,512
vCash: 500
Saw this on another site.


BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:48 PM
  #57
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackGroundMusic View Post
Saw this on another site.



Thats awesome

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:51 PM
  #58
slip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackGroundMusic View Post
Saw this on another site.

Brilliant!

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:53 PM
  #59
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,208
vCash: 500
Vanek has registered a point on 62% of Sabre goals so far. VHP has registered a point on 73%.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:01 PM
  #60
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,716
vCash: 500
G:
-Miller
-Vanek
-The posts/crossbars
-I'm pretty sure I once saw Leopold make a play in his own end, and it wasn't a turnover

B:
-At any given point when the Sabres were in their own end, at best 3/5 of them has their man covered
-Does this team know how to forecheck?
-Hecht with 3x as much TOI as Grigorenko

U
-Dammit, Vanek/Miller, just let this team tank like they want to. Just think: it's only 30-something more games, and you could come back to a team minus Ruff and plus Jones!

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:23 PM
  #61
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 26,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I would put a good chunk of that on Stafford. He has been bad all season. He leads the team in turnovers with 12, seems to have forgotten how to forecheck and looks listless. The other two are kids that should be leaning on him not the other way around. Would like to see Stafford off that line but not sure who would be a good replacement.

As I said earlier... Soooooooo tired of Stafford.
I'd agree with you if Foligno didn't show his capabilities last year when he motors. He doesn't have to do much else - JUST LOOK LIKE YOU ARE TRYING. He looks disinterested and tries to do too much with the puck. Problem is, he tries to do things at half speed or standing still. It is tough to watch. No free passes if you take several of your shifts off. Even the kids. All I want to see is effort.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:46 PM
  #62
thekenneth
Registered User
 
thekenneth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
only 15 shots on goal and they managed to win. wow

thekenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:57 PM
  #63
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I'd agree with you if Foligno didn't show his capabilities last year when he motors. He doesn't have to do much else - JUST LOOK LIKE YOU ARE TRYING. He looks disinterested and tries to do too much with the puck. Problem is, he tries to do things at half speed or standing still. It is tough to watch. No free passes if you take several of your shifts off. Even the kids. All I want to see is effort.
I knew this was going to happen with his burst last year. Unrealistic expectations. He ins't working any less than he was last year. His game is about cycling and play down low. When your linemate leads the team in turnovers, can't cycle the puck for **** right now and is downright garbage, you aren't going to look as good as you did last year. Being lost at times and not being sure what to do in certain situations is a common thing for rookies. Don't confuse it with being lazy or lack of effort.

That line looks disjointed because one of them is doing nothing and is a passenger. Stafford literally brining nothing to the table right now.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:21 AM
  #64
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,829
vCash: 500
Good:
- Vanek
- Miller
- Sekera was okay in his first game back, 25 minutes of IT too
- Ott-Grigorenko-Hecht line got a goal, yay!
- defense helped out with goals... I guess

Bad:
- Stafford is completely invisible
- Ennis is just not my cup of tea, I don't see him being a top-6 forward on a Stanley Cup winner

Also, Hecht is old and has become inept offensively. His weak shots are frustrating me for the first time ever, in the past he someone made things happen with those weak, bad angled shots.
BUT... Can people stop complaining about his ice time? Especially compared to Grigorenko.
I realize every wants Grigorenko to succeed rapidly, but he is basically lost 90% of the time and him developing into a real potential star is going to be a long process.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:22 AM
  #65
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I knew this was going to happen with his burst last year. Unrealistic expectations. He ins't working any less than he was last year. His game is about cycling and play down low. When your linemate leads the team in turnovers, can't cycle the puck for **** right now and is downright garbage, you aren't going to look as good as you did last year. Being lost at times and not being sure what to do in certain situations is a common thing for rookies. Don't confuse it with being lazy or lack of effort.

That line looks disjointed because one of them is doing nothing and is a passenger. Stafford literally brining nothing to the table right now.
at least you answered your own question about who the new whipping boy would be...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:25 AM
  #66
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 26,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I knew this was going to happen with his burst last year. Unrealistic expectations. He ins't working any less than he was last year. His game is about cycling and play down low. When your linemate leads the team in turnovers, can't cycle the puck for **** right now and is downright garbage, you aren't going to look as good as you did last year. Being lost at times and not being sure what to do in certain situations is a common thing for rookies. Don't confuse it with being lazy or lack of effort.

That line looks disjointed because one of them is doing nothing and is a passenger. Stafford literally brining nothing to the table right now.
And I knew your response was going to be a completely inaccurate assumption that I'm basing my expectations on the points he produced down the stretch last year. Not even close. He showed what kind of player he is when he plays with energy, passion, and a punishing attitude on the forecheck. That's GONE.

If you think his effort this year is the same as it was last year, you're on another ****ing planet (a generic comment to anyone, not just you). If you think he needs Stafford to initiate the cycle in order for him to move his feet... or if Stafford has any bearing on him simply chipping the puck in deep and getting after it instead of dipsy-doodling with it at the blueline flatfooted, I'm wasting my energy.

We get it - you don't think Stafford is playing well. You're right. Foligno doesn't need Stafford at the top of his game to execute a dump and chase.

Dump the puck in.

Chase after it.

You said it yourself: his game is about getting the puck in low and working the walls. Stafford's turnovers aside, Foligno has done nothing remotely close to what he was doing when he was effective. And I'm ignoring production. Strictly effort and approach.

No slack gets cut if you don't work, no matter age or experience. He so blatantly looks complacent now that he has a permanent spot.

EDIT: you can "look lost at times" and "not know what to do in certain situations"...and still look like you're trying and putting forth maximum effort. He doesn't IMO

EDIT2: I've been on Stafford's case since the second game of the year. But to blame him for the shortcomings of Ennis and Foligno is inaccurate. All three have their fair share of individual problems, culminating in an absolutely abysmal trio. When the line was broken up, each of the three looked just as ineffective as they do now when playing as a threesome


Last edited by jBuds: 02-10-2013 at 12:53 AM.
jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:38 AM
  #67
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,254
vCash: 500
Ruff cuts off the balls of players like Foligno...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:50 AM
  #68
dire wolf
be cool
 
dire wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 4,030
vCash: 500
luckiest win I've seen in a while. 'nuff said

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:52 AM
  #69
Royisgone
Registered User
 
Royisgone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I knew this was going to happen with his burst last year. Unrealistic expectations. He ins't working any less than he was last year. His game is about cycling and play down low. When your linemate leads the team in turnovers, can't cycle the puck for **** right now and is downright garbage, you aren't going to look as good as you did last year. Being lost at times and not being sure what to do in certain situations is a common thing for rookies. Don't confuse it with being lazy or lack of effort.

That line looks disjointed because one of them is doing nothing and is a passenger. Stafford literally brining nothing to the table right now.
Stafford has been a passenger his entire career.

He has good size, good skill, and is said to be one of the stronger players on the team.

If he had the work ethic of Ellis and the spunk of Gerbe, he would be a star in this league.

As he is, he is worthless, and I've been saying that about this guy from the beginning.

Stafford is the poster boy for why this franchise is stale and Regier/Ruff have to go.

A winning organization does not retain or continue to believe in born losers like Drew Stafford. It's not good for morale and it sends the wrong messages.


Last edited by Royisgone: 02-10-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:55 AM
  #70
buffalowing88
Registered User
 
buffalowing88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,403
vCash: 500
Good:
-I thought Grigs looked better than usual in his limited ice time. He will be a stud one day, it just takes a lot of time.
-Vanek as per usual
-Miller
-I was fine with Ehrhoff
-Weber was pretty crappy in his own end but the guy IS physical
-Hodgson...is this our franchise center we have been waiting on? He's ALL OVER the ice.

Bad:
-Sekera got pushed around all night.

Ugly:
-Foligno, Ennis and Stafford were worthless as always
-I think Hecht is playing better than he did last year but there is no reason for him to get so many minutes when we could put a top 6 forward into his dual-line role.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:55 AM
  #71
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 26,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
Stafford has been a passenger his entire career.

He has good size, good skill, and is said to be one of the stronger players on the team.

If had the work ethic of Ellis and the spunk of Gerbe, he would be a star in this league.

As he is, he is worthless, and I've been saying that about this guy from the beginning.

Stafford is the poster boy for why this franchise is stale and Regier/Ruff have to go.

A winning organization does not retain or continue to believe in born losers like Drew Stafford. It's not good for morale and it sends the wrong messages.
I don't want this guy as a part of our "core" of the future, nor do I want him donning a letter indicating he has any form of leadership. His inconsistency is maddening.

He hasn't been a passenger his entire career, but certainly close enough to that to where you can say what you said and not be laughed at as insane.

I don't like him - I admit it...personal bias against him.

BUT

He's a huge part of the problem right now. Not the problem

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:11 AM
  #72
Royisgone
Registered User
 
Royisgone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
And I knew your response was going to be a completely inaccurate assumption that I'm basing my expectations on the points he produced down the stretch last year. Not even close. He showed what kind of player he is when he plays with energy, passion, and a punishing attitude on the forecheck. That's GONE.

If you think his effort this year is the same as it was last year, you're on another ****ing planet (a generic comment to anyone, not just you). If you think he needs Stafford to initiate the cycle in order for him to move his feet... or if Stafford has any bearing on him simply chipping the puck in deep and getting after it instead of dipsy-doodling with it at the blueline flatfooted, I'm wasting my energy.

We get it - you don't think Stafford is playing well. You're right. Foligno doesn't need Stafford at the top of his game to execute a dump and chase.

Dump the puck in.

Chase after it.

You said it yourself: his game is about getting the puck in low and working the walls. Stafford's turnovers aside, Foligno has done nothing remotely close to what he was doing when he was effective. And I'm ignoring production. Strictly effort and approach.

No slack gets cut if you don't work, no matter age or experience. He so blatantly looks complacent now that he has a permanent spot.

EDIT: you can "look lost at times" and "not know what to do in certain situations"...and still look like you're trying and putting forth maximum effort. He doesn't IMO

EDIT2: I've been on Stafford's case since the second game of the year. But to blame him for the shortcomings of Ennis and Foligno is inaccurate. All three have their fair share of individual problems, culminating in an absolutely abysmal trio. When the line was broken up, each of the three looked just as ineffective as they do now when playing as a threesome
Regarding all the Foligno comments: I agree with your take.

It is not hard to see when a player is flying around at maximum effort and creating a disruptive force that creates problems for the opposition. That is who Foligno was last year, and he quickly became a favorite of a lot of posters here for that reason. The fact that this team has had such few players of that sort for years also played a role in that.

His point production last season was an unexpected bonus and likely just statistical deviation.

To say he is close to playing that way this year is silly.

As Jame said, this is attributable in part to Ruff. He seems to have a unique skill for not allowing players to express themselves in the ways they know how. Everything is forced into Lindy's idea for how it should be.

Add in an institutionalized acceptance of mediocrity/failure as a corporate culture, and Foligno's regression is easily explained.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:46 AM
  #73
CrazyPsycho
Registered User
 
CrazyPsycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Ruff cuts off the balls of players like Foligno...
100% agree with this. Varada lost his edge, Mair lost his edge, Kaleta is just a body at this point......it's a talking point that doesn't get talked about.

I will never forget the day in 02-03?!? when Varada fired a puck at a guy in the front row that had a bag on his head in pregame warmups, went right up to him and harrassed the guy until he took it off.

CrazyPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:52 AM
  #74
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 26,869
vCash: 500
I think that - if you want to pin the downfall of a player on his linemate or linemates - you have the strongest case in Ennis, not Foligno (and certainly not Drew Stafford). Ennis exploded at the end of last year due in large part to the time and space that Foligno and Stafford created for him by working the walls after getting the puck in deep and grinding it out on the forecheck. Because of the forecheck, and the idea of the two big bodies coming at opponents at full speed early in games had opposing dmen backing off a bit as games went on, Ennis was able to carry the puck more freely as games elapsed...and you saw Ennis charge up ice and lead the attack. That aspect is completely gone from that line, and Ennis is seemingly suffering.

That's not to justify Tyler's lackluster play. Like I said above, the three of them have their individual issues/deficiencies that extend beyond the trio as a line. Ennis looks a lot more hesitant and tentative, Foligno looks complacent, and Stafford looks abysmal across the board.

Side rant:

To Drew, from jbuddy -

You get paid to score goals. You get paid a lot of money to score goals. Try producing some offense? All I want out of Foligno at this point is effort. He's young, so I won't get on him for only having one goal through 12 gp. You have no excuse for piss poor showings and lazy, disinterested offerings at this point in your career; the rollercoaster ride that is your on-ice play is maddeningly frustrating, considering that you're blessed with a combo of size, strength, great hands, a good shot, and pretty decent vision when peaking.

WAKE THE **** UP.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:56 AM
  #75
Imlach a cup
Registered User
 
Imlach a cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,154
vCash: 500
Amen to side rants.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.