HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can we all please calm down?

Old
02-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
What I enjoyed was Gorges taking to fighting a guy that was much too big for him, and watching Gionta go after Colton Orr even if he shouldn't have.

I love this team because they don't give a **** about any of these perceived limitations of theirs - they go out there and play hard and for each other, no matter the consequence or perception they're "smurfs". They stick up for each other and goddamit I love it.

I'd rather have "smurfs" that will do what it takes even if they get beatdown than a bunch of deadweights like Latendresse or outright goons like John Scott.
I would gladly take John Scott though.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:24 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Then we will have to agree to disagree. I got ZERO pleasure watching those beatdowns, although I do respect Gorges for the effort. We should have role players doing that dirty work instead.
Not a chance I had "pleasure" watching us get beatdown. The pleasure I felt was that we have some good guys on this team that know what it means to be a team and stand up for one another.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:24 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
The guys is expressing an opinion... we cna dissagree with him, but there is no trolling there.
Thanks for watching my back.

I know some guys hate it when we say anything nice about our enemies, but I'm not here to please everybody, but rather express my opinion, for whatever that is worth (probably not much).

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
A million times yes.

Obviously I don't like seeing us lose fights (or fight at all, for that matter, that's not how we should be playing - we're a team built on speed and skill), but it is damn refreshing to see the guys care about each other and will back each other up.
Moen did not car enought for his teammate to go after one of the Leafs bigger guy. Armstrong did absolutely nothing has well. Not sure they cared enought for one another.

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Thanks for watching my back.

I know some guys hate it when we say anything nice about our enemies, but I'm not here to please everybody, but rather express my opinion, for whatever that is worth (probably not much).
Man i typo too much... its annoying

Old
02-09-2013, 11:29 PM
Kue
Interviewing for GM

Stuff happens, but one bad week does not mean we should throw away the season. I reckon if this happened against Florida, Washington and Carolina instead of Boston, Buffalo, Toronto, people might be a little more rational.

Yep, this week stung. But get a grip. We're still in 7th. All teams have bumps in the road. LA was mentioned, but anyone notice San Jose hasn't won a game yet this month? Time for them to tank too?

This week was dramatic in action, but the standings still say we were 0-2-1. Make adjustments? Absolutely.

Season over? Nope.

Kue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:31 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kue View Post
Stuff happens, but one bad week does not mean we should throw away the season. I reckon if this happened against Florida, Washington and Carolina instead of Boston, Buffalo, Toronto, people might be a little more rational.

Yep, this week stung. But get a grip. We're still in 7th. All teams have bumps in the road. LA was mentioned, but anyone notice San Jose hasn't won a game yet this month? Time for them to tank too?

This week was dramatic in action, but the standings still say we were 0-2-1. Make adjustments? Absolutely.

Season over? Nope.
Fair point, but tell me this - do you really feel we can seriously compete with the 4 lines we have and the small defense, day in and day out?

Old
02-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
I appreciate your optimism, but friend, but we all need to take the blinders off and be objective. We have not gotten bigger at all. In fact, it seems we are now smaller.

Look at our defense! What a joke, all these 190 guys. And we still have 4 smurfs up the middle playing center. This is 2013, and this is a big man's sport. One or two smaller players is okay, but not the majority of the team. And why don't we ever draft guys who weigh more than 220?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this team stinks and will not have a chance to win in any playoffs, let alone even make it.
Because hardly anyone with any skill at all weighs 220 pounds when they are 18.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:33 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Fair point, but tell me this - do you really feel we can seriously compete with the 4 lines we have and the small defense, day in and day out?
Not a single doubt in my mind we can.

Proof? Look at our first 8 games. Was beautiful. Hell, I'll include the loss to the Bruins and Sabres in there too, as gutwrenching as the latter was. Games we had a more than good chance of winning, but it didn't go our way.

I believe in this team, and people need to give them a chance.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:33 PM
ottawa
go habs go

vCash: 0
Quote:
Friend, there are no blinders here. The Cup isn't won after every win and we don't need to tank after every loss. That's all I'm saying.
QFT. People need to calm the **** down lol. I'm still optimistic our habs will make the playoffs

ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:35 PM
LastRide

Back in the old days teams would send a message when you lose badly. These days you get blasted 6-0 and get your heads kicked in and everything's cool. That should fire up a team!. Maybe they had it backwards back then. I guess its a new era.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For your viewing pleasure:

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:36 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Not a single doubt in my mind we can.

Proof? Look at our first 8 games. Was beautiful. Hell, I'll include the loss to the Bruins and Sabres in there too, as gutwrenching as the latter was. Games we had a more than good chance of winning, but it didn't go our way.

I believe in this team, and people need to give them a chance.
Honestly, I don't. As you probably know, I believe in bigger stronger players who crash the net and win battles in the corners. I also believe you absolutely need some big centers, which we don't have, and some big rugged dmen to push away the opponents from Carey's line of sight.

When I look at our four lines, I do not see why any team would fear us.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Viggo Mortensen

You are totally right Coldplay.

Even if it's a disgusting loss against one of the most annoying fanbase, I think this loss will give a big boost to the team. They will come out in the next couple games with fire under their skates.

Viggo Mortensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Gary320

Can't wait to see this team Tuesday. I really want to see what comes from this loss.

Last edited by Gary320: 02-09-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Honestly, I don't. As you probably know, I believe in bigger stronger players who crash the net and win battles in the corners. I also believe you absolutely need some big centers, which we don't have, and some big rugged dmen to push away the opponents from Carey's line of sight.

When I look at our four lines, I do not see why any team would fear us.
You don't win with fear, you win by scoring more goals than our opposition. Something we have shown we are capable of doing.

This obsession with size and intimidation has gotten to be too much. Yes, we need to be bigger. But as long as we win, I don't care who's out there.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
Back in the old days teams would send a message when you lose badly. These days you get blasted 6-0 and get your heads kicked in and everything's cool. That should fire up a team!. Maybe they had it backwards back then. I guess its a new era.
In the modern NHL "sending a message" late in a game that you're losing gets you hefty fines and long suspensions. It's much better to just drop it and move on to the next game.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:50 PM
JHabs61

Respectable poster is respectable.

JHabs61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Kue
Interviewing for GM

Quote:
Every day? Nope. No team is on every single game. They will all lose games, and lose games to their rivals, and on occasion get blown out.

And this team won't win the conference, division, may not even win a round in the playoffs. But its more important for team morale if we compete and get a playoff spot than another high pick. The culture of winning and success is important too.

I have us pegged to finish somewhere 4th-10th. The first few weeks were an over-achievement, the last week was an under-achievement.

Kue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:08 AM
donghabs98

I can't be the only one who laughed a bit at the title of the thread . Anyway I do agree we should all calm but but after a very bad game like that I can see why everyone is in a bitter mood. I haven't seen things this bitter on here in a while

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
You don't win with fear, you win by scoring more goals than our opposition. Something we have shown we are capable of doing.

This obsession with size and intimidation has gotten to be too much. Yes, we need to be bigger. But as long as we win, I don't care who's out there.
The thing is you dont win consistently with smurf like teams. Hasnt work in Montreal.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:59 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
The thing is you dont win consistently with smurf like teams. Hasnt work in Montreal.
The Detroit Red Wings have consistently been one of the smallest teams in the NHL during the last decade and they went several years without having a real "tough guy" on their roster before they added Tootoo this summer. Didn't stop them from reaching the playoffs every year and going to two Stanley Cup finals.

Lasting success comes from choosing a team identity and then building the best possible team for that identity. There is no one-size fits all solution to winning hockey games, you can win by being a quick, skilled team playing puck-possession just as well as you can win by being big, tough and intimidating, the key is that you build the best possible team based on the identity you want to have and the style you want to play. If you want to play a game based on speed and skill, singing a bunch of big, lumbering meatheads from Western Canada will be counter-productive.

It's pretty obvious looking at this board that a lot of the posters here are suffering from Bruins-syndrome, because they have had success by playing a physical, intimidating style of hockey some of you instantly feel that we need to match them and try to beat them using their style instead of improving upon our own. The harsh reality is that both our team and our prospect pool were assembled with an entirely different style of play in mind, trying to emulate the Bruins now would have absolutely disastrous results and rebuilding this entire team from top to bottom to play a more Bruins-like game would take at least half a decade, if not more. That would mean a long drought without a playoff appearance and certainly no Cups.

The material we have on our current roster is best suited for a game based on speed, if we want to get back into the playoffs and even win a cup any time soon that has to be the core of our identity. Deviating from that identity is not going to bring us any success any time soon.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:01 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Because hardly anyone with any skill at all weighs 220 pounds when they are 18.
Well, maybe so, but you know what I mean. A guy capable of filling out to someone over 220. We all know Louie would not end up 220.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:04 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
How can we send a message when the only fiesty people we have weigh 195. And everyone over that doesn't hit.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:05 AM
theboss*

We have the softest team in the league why should we calm down

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote