HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Michael Ryder opts for salary arbitration

Old
07-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
2,3M$ for garbage goals? I don't know... Ryder isn't a complete player and I personnaly wouldn't give him a 1 year contract that big at this point of his career. Bouillon needed to be a UFA to get less than 2M$... I don't see why Ryder should get over 2M$... he contributes with goals, but at least 10 of those goals were garbage goals.... i.e. Marcel Hossa type of goals.
Argh...30 goals is 30 goals. I mean if it's so easy to score then why was Ryder our only 30 goal scorer?

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:02 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
Quote:
2,3M$ for garbage goals? I don't know... Ryder isn't a complete player and I personnaly wouldn't give him a 1 year contract that big at this point of his career. Bouillon needed to be a UFA to get less than 2M$... I don't see why Ryder should get over 2M$... he contributes with goals, but at least 10 of those goals were garbage goals.... i.e. Marcel Hossa type of goals.
His job is to score those goals. He's a right handed shooter. He sits his *** by the net and taps in those rebounds.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Argh...30 goals is 30 goals. I mean if it's so easy to score then why was Ryder our only 30 goal scorer?
Because he gets most of the quality ice time, and is used almost 2 minutes on every 5 on 3

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Kafka

If we also consider the fact he starts having back problems (apparently the reason of his poor play in the playoffs), he might start missing games next season...

Anyway, I like players that go to war like Ryan Smith, Daniel Brière, Derek Roy, Steve Bégin, Saku Koivu (some nights) etc..... and Ryder is far from being that type of player.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:10 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Because he gets most of the quality ice time, and is used almost 2 minutes on every 5 on 3
There are 4 other players on the ice during those 5 on 3's.
And he didn't just get thrown out there as soon as he made the Habs. He had to show that he could score goals before they put him out there in those situations.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:12 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
If we also consider the fact he starts having back problems (apparently the reason of his poor play in the playoffs), he might start missing games next season...

Anyway, I like players that go to war like Ryan Smith, Daniel Brière, Derek Roy, Steve Bégin, Saku Koivu (some nights) etc..... and Ryder is far from being that type of player.
He had the back injury for most of the season, actually. That's why he didn't go to war much last year. In 2003-2004 he was much grittier. And why would he start missing games next season if he was injured last season and didn't miss any? Is the two-three month break going to make his back worse or what?

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:13 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:

His back problem started in December. He played the entire season with a herniated disk in his back. I don't know if you've ever had one of those, but my dad did and he couldn't even get out of bed.

It's not a chronic problem so there's no need to worry about him missing games. He's played 2 FULL seasons without having any injury problems.

Anyone who can play 80 games with a herniated disk is a freaking warrior.

Old
07-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I can't wait till Ryder outscores everyone once again next season.
I am willing to bet on this one. He won't get the icetime he received in the past two years and with Zednik near out of the lineup, will be the other one Gainey will start looking to get rid of if Perezhogin/Higgins/Kostitsyn win his spot... I have been saying for the past two seasons that Zenick had no reasons to get the quality icetime he was receiving with Koivu and Kovalev ont the PP..... the next one might be Ryder if he doesn't show up more. Still, garbage goals scorers are always something usefull in a lineup, but lets see what Aaron Asham gets in arbitration, and we will know what salary that kind of player should earn (I know Asham didn't score 30 goals, but he only received quality icetime at the beggining of last season).

5 on 5 goals
Ryder: 12/81 games; playing on top 2 lines
Asham:8/63 games; playing only few times on top two lines

Last edited by Kafka: 07-06-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old
07-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Tuggy

Aaron Asham will NEVER score 30 goals in the NHL. Come on man, you're smarter then that.

Old
07-06-2006, 10:21 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Why is it that after so many years of not having a goalscorer (particularly one WE drafted and WE developed) people are so quick to get rid of him? I really don't understand the logic here. On any other team this kid would be hailed as the second comming of Guy LaFleur for scoring 30 goals with a herniated disk!

A herniated disk!!! Do you know what that is??? Your freaking arms go numb with that!

Old
07-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Aaron Asham will NEVER score 30 goals in the NHL. Come on man, you're smarter then that.
Ryder won't ever score 30 goals again. He did what Savage couldn't do in Montreal, but still, I am happy he will get only a one year contract. It's time to trade him while his value is high.

Old
07-06-2006, 10:24 AM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
It doesn't matter how he got those goals. He got those goals. Why doesn't Marcel Hossa have 30 goals? Why doesn't anybody else have 30 goals?
If garbage goals are so easy to get, wouldn't everybody have a ton?
Garbage goals are just as important as any othe goal and Ryder has a knack of knowing where to go at the right time. Just because most aren't highlight real, doesn't mean they're useless.

Ryder is worth much more than Bouillon.

x-bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Ryder won't ever score 30 goals again. He did what Savage couldn't do in Montreal, but still, I am happy he will get only a one year contract. It's time to trade him while his value is high.
I can't even begin to understand where you came up with that one.

Old
07-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Why is it that after so many years of not having a goalscorer (particularly one WE drafted and WE developed) people are so quick to get rid of him? I really don't understand the logic here. On any other team this kid would be hailed as the second comming of Guy LaFleur for scoring 30 goals with a herniated disk!

A herniated disk!!! Do you know what that is??? Your freaking arms go numb with that!
Mostly because he's by far the worst Hab in terms of defensive play. He costs us more goals than he scores, so I don't see how he's usefull to the team.

Old
07-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Kafka

Quote:

Weren't you the one who got season tickets from its daddy? Stop looking at numbers and look at the game itself: Ryder once scored 30 goals yes, but his game his nearer the one of Brian Savage than the one of Eric Cole.

Old
07-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Squeaky

Since when does Ryder score garbage goals? I thought one of the biggest problems with Ryder was that he didn't go to the net or play gritty enough, two of the main requirements for garbage goals. Heck, I thought he was just a walking shot?

I wish Ryder did score garbage goals. The habs could use someone who can pot the garbage.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Weren't you the one who got season tickets from its daddy? Stop looking at numbers and look at the game itself: Ryder once scored 30 goals yes, but his game his nearer the one of Brian Savage than the one of Eric Cole.
Ya Ryder scored 30 goals once...it was last ****ING season. Why the hell shouldn't we think he'll do it again?

Old
07-06-2006, 10:30 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
What does me getting season tickets from my dad have to do with Ryder? Are you trying to change the topic away from your lack of hockey knowledge?

He scored 30 goals LAST YEAR. He scored 25 THE YEAR BEFORE. THOSE ARE THE ONLY YEARS HE'S EVER PLAYED.

Old
07-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Kafka

Quote:
I can't even begin to understand where you came up with that one.
We'll see, what is cool with those boards is that they are archived........ so I'll bring this section up next year, and we'll see who was right. My hypothesis is based on the followings:

1. He is starting to have back problems at only 26;
2. Young and talented wingers are groing up and will take some of his icetime.
3. Just look at Richard Zednik and Brian Savage paths.... I predict Ryder will follow the same just because they have similar games (quality icetime, PP goals).

We'll see.

Old
07-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Tuggy

Quote:

We'll see.
We sure will.

Old
07-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
The guy's name is EriK Cole, and who the heck ever compared Ryder to him?! Cole is a great talent, soon to emmerge as one of the premiere players in the league. No one thinks that of Ryder. Ryder can pot 30 again, there is no reason to doubt that. Is he a superstar? No. Is he a fine asset / top 6 winger? Yes, absolutely.

He didn't have the greatest year in terms of overall play, but he was playing hurt, and still put up decent numbers.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:38 AM
x-bob

Quote:
Funniest post in this thread!!!!!

WHat the **** does that have to do with anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

x-bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Kafka

Quote:
What does me getting season tickets from my dad have to do with Ryder? Are you trying to change the topic away from your lack of hockey knowledge?

He scored 30 goals LAST YEAR. He scored 25 THE YEAR BEFORE. THOSE ARE THE ONLY YEARS HE'S EVER PLAYED.
I am saying that you have the chance to watch the game instead of looking at stats on the internet......... Richard Zednik scored 31 and 26 goals prior to last season. By the way, hockey knowledge are not things you read somewere and bring back on a board........ hockey knowledge come from experience and observation.

Old
07-06-2006, 10:45 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
I am saying that you have the chance to watch the game instead of looking at stats on the internet......... Richard Zednik scored 31 and 26 goals prior to last season. By the way, hockey knowledge are not things you read somewere and bring back on a board........ hockey knowledge come from experience and observation.
Hence me actually being at the games would thusly give me more experience and observation watching Ryder play.

Ryder is a very passionate player. He gets very angry when he screws up and he's pretty nasty too. Alot of stuff goes on behind the play that you don't see on TV and Ryder is not someone I would mess with.

But hey, what would you know? You've admitted many times already that you don't watch regular season games and you only watch playoffs. All YOU have are stats on the internet.

Old
07-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu View Post
The guy's name is EriK Cole, and who the heck ever compared Ryder to him?! Cole is a great talent, soon to emmerge as one of the premiere players in the league. No one thinks that of Ryder. Ryder can pot 30 again, there is no reason to doubt that. Is he a superstar? No. Is he a fine asset / top 6 winger? Yes, absolutely.

He didn't have the greatest year in terms of overall play, but he was playing hurt, and still put up decent numbers.
If he was such a great asset to the team, how can you explain the fact that the organisation dosen't want to sing him to a long term deal? For two consecutive years..

Truth is Ryder can score goals but his overall game is so under average, that the non long term contract situation inidicates that he's a temporary fill and that the Habs have faith in finding a better suited first liner through their developement program or a trade or the UFA market.

IMO Kostitsyn, Perezhogin and Latendresse have greater upsides than Ryder.. should give them a chance to prove theirselves at the training camp, and if they deliver.. then we should get rid of Ryder while his value is high.