HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Silfverberg so far?

Old
02-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

vCash: 500
Silfverberg so far?

Anyone else feel like he's poised for a breakout? He's been a bit snake bitten, and guys have been on him pretty quickly so far but I've noticed that each game he seems to be getting more and more chances and playing very, very well. He is just so smart and always seems to be in the right place defensively.

I've really been impressed with him so far, and considering the offence that we've had so far I'm not disappointed that he hasn't produced more. It will come.

My favorite prospect since Spezza and that says a lot (I learned my lesson about over-hyping from Rundblad...so I took it easy on Silfverberg).

He's a keeper.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:02 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
He should be finding his touch soon like he did in Binghamton.

18Hossa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
He looks quacktastic out there.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:41 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
I think he's been snakebitten. His success was really stalled being on a line with fatendresse. I think he's playing great defencively and on the backcheck but he hasn't had the opportunities to score that he should be having.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:07 AM
SensFactor

Personally I think he needs more time in the AHL....
I would rather have seen him play a full season in Bingo....at time he's just not at the right place at the right time...

SensFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:24 AM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFactor View Post
Personally I think he needs more time in the AHL....
I would rather have seen him play a full season in Bingo....at time he's just not at the right place at the right time...
He's too good for the AHL. He just needs adjustment time in the NHL. Not every player comes into the league scoring a lot.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:36 AM
arglebargle

vCash: 1225
^^^I strongly disagree. He seems to be progressing pretty quickly along the learning curve. There's no sense in sending him back down when he's clearly getting better every game.

He's got a pretty good shot, so it seems unlikely to me that his shooting% will stay at 7% forever.

arglebargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:08 AM
Rumcajs

Hes doing fine and has earned his spot on the squad.

The only thing he needs to get used to, which I have noticed he has definitely improved on, is to be able to shoot with pressure. Tons of his SEL goals had the other D applying looser pressure.

Also he needs to watch more Alfie tape. He has the same playing style but needs to learn the "Alfie turn"...

Enter the zone.
Nobody open.
90 degree turn near the blue line and find the late man or dump.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:36 AM
mach777

He is a bit slow on his skates and decision making. I want to see more hustle, and he should reinvent his game from there.

To me he looks a bit scared. Defensively: yeah he is where he should be, but he doesnt win many battles to loose pucks because he doesn't hustle.

Zibanejad has been much more of a factor so far and he is supposed to be a mile behind in accomplishment and development.

mach777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:38 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Compared to the beginning of the season he has improved tenfolds. He will only get better. He started off slow in the A but could not be stopped once he got comfortable.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:09 AM
delchief

He looks good. Not scoring at a high pace yet but he looks like a top-6 NHL'er in terms of his skill and shot.

delchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:40 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach777 View Post
Zibanejad has been much more of a factor so far and he is supposed to be a mile behind in accomplishment and development.
When Mats Sundin was drafted 1st overall the people in Sweden thought some other guy was a better player. Forget the name but he went in the middle to late rounds I think. He didn't last in the league and Sundin became a HoFer.

Zibanejad's explosive and a big body with plus skills. The former two points are huge.

Minister of Offence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:01 AM
TSA0402

Not all rookies score 76 goals in their first season.

He is fine. Its been 10 games.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:27 AM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Not all rookies score 76 goals in their first season.

He is fine. Its been 10 games.
Then theyre all busts

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:33 AM
enviro61

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach777 View Post
He is a bit slow on his skates and decision making. I want to see more hustle, and he should reinvent his game from there.

To me he looks a bit scared. Defensively: yeah he is where he should be, but he doesnt win many battles to loose pucks because he doesn't hustle.

I recall an interview with Sens scouting staff or someone in the know and they had Zbad ranked higher than Silf simply because of his raw talent. Silf is older and has put up better numbers but I think most hockey minds regarded Zbad as having a higher ceiling.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:44 AM
robsenz

He's really slow, loses battles along the boards because he doesn't position his body correctly to the puck. Constantly playing the perimeter and then getting out muscled in the corner.
His shot is wicked, but thats about it right now. His positional play has gotten better defensively...the first couple games not so much.
I want him to succeed, but the lack of speed I think will determine his effectiveness in the NHL.

robsenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Das Boot
Jajajaja

I haven't yelled once at the TV because of Silfverberg.. that says something.

Das Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Wiercioch2Karlsson

I agree with much of what has already been written.

What I've noticed is that he is getting better - noticeably, every game - working the left wing boards, where he is managing to maintain possession for longer. It hasn't turned into any or many concrete chances that I can recall, but I think it eventually will. My problem with him so far is when he tries to go outside the defender on the right wing. He's not fast or strong enough, and regularly gets rubbed about along the boards. That annoys me because it kills the rush.

His hockey sense is so high, though, as is his defensive acumen.

My take so far is that he is a little timid, or not confident enough at this level. That was the case when he decided to stay in Sweden an extra, unexpected year. Then, it took him so time to get comfy in Bingo. I don't expect anything near a ppg pace once he's get comfortable this season, but I would expect his somewhat timid perimeter play to turn into something more confident - like cutting into the middle/slot and making things happen. Or at least I hope that.

Wiercioch2Karlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

I find it funny that people have said he's slow. He is just economical in his movement. I've seen him blow by a few guys and catch a few guys on the backcheck because of his speed. His first step isn't elite, but he has good speed and good high end speed.

He has constantly been coming away from battles in the corners with the puck (especially in the offensive zone) and he's been in front of the net a lot (no idea how you could call him a perimeter player).

Anyway, still have lots of high hopes for him. I know people are saying that Zibanejad has had more of an impact but I don't think that's true...and Silfverberg's understanding of the game is on a much higher level than Zibanejad's right now. In any situation I would rather have Silf out there. We'll see in a couple of years...but I think Silfverberg is just going to get better, too, as he gets more comfortable.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:48 AM
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight

vCash: 125
I thought he had a good chance at the Calder due to his expected linemates: Spezza and Michalek. Due to injury this unfortunately hasn't been the case. I don't know if he's poised for a breakout, but I expect the difference between his rookie and sophomore seasons will be the opposite of Regin

SevenOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:59 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Silf was apparently the MVP over in the SEL but isn't doing anything here. I think that speaks volumes of the SEL.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:01 AM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsenz View Post
He's really slow, loses battles along the boards because he doesn't position his body correctly to the puck. Constantly playing the perimeter and then getting out muscled in the corner.
His shot is wicked, but thats about it right now. His positional play has gotten better defensively...the first couple games not so much.
I want him to succeed, but the lack of speed I think will determine his effectiveness in the NHL.
lol

he's not slow, his acceleration makes him look that way. his top speed is good, but not great. we have a really fast team, so an average skater might look "slow".

one part of his game that has been impressive has actually been his play along the boards. this guy is grinding it out and keeping possession despite two players attacking him. he looks quite strong or at least tenacious along those boards.

his first few (three?) games he was getting used to the system. i think he has had it since then and has been in the right spot in the defensive zone ever since.

i think the problem with silf's production has already been pointed out: he is getting really tightly checked. he's not getting a chance to get his shot off. i think this can be attributed to:

-smaller ice surface. less time and space automatically
-his below average acceleration and average/slightly above average speed. not as much space to skate into, and not fast enough to blow my defenders.

i think he'll put things together and start making goalies look silly with his shot, it just might take another five games. it might even take longer.

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:09 AM
take a peek

I think he has looked very good.

Definitely needs time to adjust and improve but really really like what I see.

I have no doubts he will develop into a top 6 forward.

take a peek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Greeningfan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodkanator View Post
I haven't yelled once at the TV because of Silfverberg.. that says something.
I did when he scored his 1st goal

Greeningfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
I wish he would get more PP time, I can't understand for the life of me why we use offensive blackholes like Greening and Smith... Also its not as if Neil is having a big effect either.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote