HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Ryder opts for salary arbitration

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2006, 11:52 AM
  #101
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
If he was such a great asset to the team, how can you explain the fact that the organisation dosen't want to sing him to a long term deal? For two consecutive years..

Truth is Ryder can score goals but his overall game is so under average, that the non long term contract situation inidicates that he's a temporary fill and that the Habs have faith in finding a better suited first liner through their developement program or a trade or the UFA market.

IMO Kostitsyn, Perezhogin and Latendresse have greater upsides than Ryder.. should give them a chance to prove theirselves at the training camp, and if they deliver.. then we should get rid of Ryder while his value is high.
Believe me I'm not the biggest Ryder fan, but there is no doubt that right now he is a good asset for our club. All of Kostitsyn, Perezhogin, and Latendresse should have better careers than Ryder if they live up to potential. But they need time. In the meanwhile, Ryder is scoring goals on a team that has at times struggled to do so.

There is no proof or evidence that the Habs don't want to sign Ryder long-term this Summer. All we know is that he himself filed for arbitration.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:53 AM
  #102
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
If he was such a great asset to the team, how can you explain the fact that the organisation dosen't want to sing him to a long term deal? For two consecutive years..

Truth is Ryder can score goals but his overall game is so under average, that the non long term contract situation inidicates that he's a temporary fill and that the Habs have faith in finding a better suited first liner through their developement program or a trade or the UFA market.

IMO Kostitsyn, Perezhogin and Latendresse have greater upsides than Ryder.. should give them a chance to prove theirselves at the training camp, and if they deliver.. then we should get rid of Ryder while his value is high.
Koivu got one year deals up until he was scheduled to become UFA.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:55 AM
  #103
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post

IMO Kostitsyn, Perezhogin and Latendresse have greater upsides than Ryder
That's probably the case but at this very moment none of those 3 guys are going to score 30 goals in the NHL. Anyway that's not the issue being discussed.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:01 PM
  #104
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu View Post
Believe me I'm not the biggest Ryder fan, but there is no doubt that right now he is a good asset for our club. All of Kostitsyn, Perezhogin, and Latendresse should have better careers than Ryder if they live up to potential. But they need time. In the meanwhile, Ryder is scoring goals on a team that has at times struggled to do so.

There is no proof or evidence that the Habs don't want to sign Ryder long-term this Summer. All we know is that he himself filed for arbitration.
I agree, and I'm not against singning him.. but I don't consider him as a lock for the next season. If any of the prospects do better at camp, I wouldn't mind tradng him.. since he can't play anywhere than on an offensive line. In other words as long as he's with the Habs, our prospects are stuck with fewer quality minutes which results in nothing good for them or the team.

I thought I heard the Habs only wanted to sing him for a one year deal.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:02 PM
  #105
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Argh...30 goals is 30 goals. I mean if it's so easy to score then why was Ryder our only 30 goal scorer?
Because Zednik got injuried at the beginning of the season. Zednik was our last 31 goals scorer.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:03 PM
  #106
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Because Zednik got injuried at the beginning of the season. Zednik was our last 31 goals scorer.
Yup he was and that was good. Too bad he couldn't of had the same production this season. Zednik was clearly a different player this year and didn't seem to have the same jump or drive.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:06 PM
  #107
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
That's probably the case but at this very moment none of those 3 guys are going to score 30 goals in the NHL. Anyway that's not the issue being discussed.
Why not? Zhogy had a great start while used with Saku and Kovy, and was IMO one of our best forwards in the playoffs. He'll never score 30 goals playing on the third line.. but he might just score as mush as Ryder if used on the first line.

And even if he scores only 25, but gets more passes, draws more penalties, plays better along the boards and backchecks as he did at the end of the season.. he'll be a greater addition than the unidimendional Ryder with his 30.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:10 PM
  #108
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Why not? Zhogy had a great start while used with Saku and Kovy, and was IMO one of our best forwards in the playoffs. He'll never score 30 goals playing on the third line.. but he might just score as mush as Ryder if used on the first line.

And even if he scores only 25, but gets more passes, draws more penalties, plays better along the boards and backchecks as he did at the end of the season.. he'll be a greater addition than the unidimendional Ryder with his 30.
I just don't think Perez is there yet. He made great strides last year, especially playing with Pleks in the playoffs. I could see him netting 15-20 goals but he didn't seem to have the finish last year. But I would be very happy if we could get 20+ from him next season because our offense needs all the help it can get.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 03:32 PM
  #109
NLfan56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
We have all seen M.Ryder for 2 years now.

The Good - He hits the net, has a good shot, he comes to play.He is a finisher.

The Bad- Average speed- his defence needs work- he is well below average at carring the puck- can't beat his grandmother one on one. Does not create chances for others.

Ryder got 30 goals but he played on the top 2 lines and played on most powerplays. almost anyone that gets that quality ice time would have got 20 goals. Ryder is in real danger to be pushed off this ice time with Prez or Kost or UFA. If he goes down to the 3rd line his production will fall to 20 goals. So with a few defects and 20 goals, what is he realy worth?

Current value is high due to his 30 goals but that's as good as it gets for Ryder. As soon as either Prez or Kost have a breakout year , Ryder will lose much of his quality ice time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
If we also consider the fact he starts having back problems (apparently the reason of his poor play in the playoffs), he might start missing games next season...

Anyway, I like players that go to war like Ryan Smith, Daniel Brière, Derek Roy, Steve Bégin, Saku Koivu (some nights) etc..... and Ryder is far from being that type of player.
But he was that type of player in his first year. His neck injury this past year held him back a lot; even injured he was a key figure why the Habs got to the playoffs.

NLfan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:52 PM
  #110
Sthabs
Registered User
 
Sthabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Yup he was and that was good. Too bad he couldn't of had the same production this season. Zednik was clearly a different player this year and didn't seem to have the same jump or drive.
Maybe cause he wasnt playing with Koivu anymore who was there to prepare almost all of his goals....

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:31 PM
  #111
jonny5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alberta
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I agree, and I'm not against singning him.. but I don't consider him as a lock for the next season. If any of the prospects do better at camp, I wouldn't mind tradng him.. since he can't play anywhere than on an offensive line. In other words as long as he's with the Habs, our prospects are stuck with fewer quality minutes which results in nothing good for them or the team.

I thought I heard the Habs only wanted to sing him for a one year deal.
Ryder will sign for only 1 year. That's what he wanted last season, and that's what he wants this season. He will become ufa after next season.

jonny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:50 PM
  #112
NewGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
Ryder will sign for only 1 year. That's what he wanted last season, and that's what he wants this season. He will become ufa after next season.
I don't think he'll be a UFA after next season. He will only be 27 years old and the cut off is 28. He won't be a UFA until after the 2007-08 season.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:53 PM
  #113
AH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Woodbridge, ON
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
Ryder will sign for only 1 year. That's what he wanted last season, and that's what he wants this season. He will become ufa after next season.
No he wont. He is a Ufa in 2008.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:39 PM
  #114
Squeaky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
Ryder will sign for only 1 year. That's what he wanted last season, and that's what he wants this season. He will become ufa after next season.
Actually, since Ryder is taking the habs to arbitration, they get to pick whether they want him for 1 year or 2. One of the quirkier clauses of the new CBA.

edit: that only applies to a contract awarded through arbitration of course. He can sign whatever he wants before then.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 08:58 AM
  #115
Dynasty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov#79 View Post
I like him and I want to keep him, but, if he ask too much money (ala many UFA) so

I don't think that asking too much is going to be a problem at all. Ryder and his agent is just ensuring that they get a fair market price, that's all. That I'm pretty much certain about and see no problem with any player wanting a fair market price.
Plus from rumblings that I hear from friends of Ryder is that money is not the main focus for him, but rather getting a fair and sensible contract at market conditions which are realistic within the new cap world. If the team is reasonable and committed to Ryder then I think they will be extremely well rewarded.

Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:06 AM
  #116
Dynasty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayrider View Post
Theres no harm in re-signing Ryder, especially to a 2 or 3 year deal if possible. I say give him $2.25 per year for 2 or 3 years. If he can't up his game next season, then there will be plenty of GM's in the league drooling at the prospect of having a shot at Ryder.

IMO I don't see any harm in keeping him. He's only played 2 season, it took Lecavalier a hell of a lot longer to reach what Ryder did in goals. Since Carbo and Muller are behind the bench now, they can whip Ryder into a more defensively responsible player too. No reason to get rid of Ryder just yet. Lets not pass up on our youth.
All of your points are sensible and reasonable.

Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:09 AM
  #117
Dynasty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
We have all seen M.Ryder for 2 years now.

The Good - He hits the net, has a good shot, he comes to play.He is a finisher.

The Bad- Average speed- his defence needs work- he is well below average at carring the puck- can't beat his grandmother one on one. Does not create chances for others.

Ryder got 30 goals but he played on the top 2 lines and played on most powerplays. almost anyone that gets that quality ice time would have got 20 goals. Ryder is in real danger to be pushed off this ice time with Prez or Kost or UFA. If he goes down to the 3rd line his production will fall to 20 goals. So with a few defects and 20 goals, what is he realy worth?

Current value is high due to his 30 goals but that's as good as it gets for Ryder. As soon as either Prez or Kost have a breakout year , Ryder will lose much of his quality ice time.


Wow!! You have it all figured out.

Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.