HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dave Morrison's past picks

Old
02-10-2013, 01:02 AM
The Mentalist
PRAGMATIC

vCash: 500
Dave Morrison's past picks

Good night for our Head Scout, Dave Morrison.

Tyler Biggs scores his 21st and 22nd goal in his first OHL season.

Leo Komarov scores his first

James Reimer registers his first SO this season

Korbinian Holzer scores his 2nd goal of the season

Blacker scores 2 goals and assists on 1 in last 2 games

Jamie Devane scored his first goal as a Marlie this week

Add this to Frattin and Kadri's play this season. All Morrison picks.

Mr. Morrison is doing his job just fine.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:03 AM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Good night for our Head Scout, Dave Morrison.

Tyler Biggs scores his 21st and 22nd goal in his first OHL season.

Leo Komarov scores his first

James Reimer registers his first SO this season

Korbinian Holzer scores his 2nd goal of the season

Blacker scores 2 goals and assists on 1 in last 2 games

Jamie Devane scored his first goal as a Marlie this week

Add this to Frattin and Kadri's play this season. Mr. Morrison is doing his job just fine.

These are all Morrison picks.
And Eakins is amazing at what he does.

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:04 AM
The Mentalist
PRAGMATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
And Eakins is amazing at what he does.
Yes he is, agree 100%.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:05 AM
Duffman955

Ya I think half of our line up owes their success to Eakins. Not bad picks, but I think Eakins was the difference

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:06 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

How about Burke leaving the kids in the AHL for the proper amount of time? Not rushing them like everyone wanted? Love how no one mentions that anymore.

02-10-2013, 01:06 AM
Lebanese Leaf

Me and my buddy were just talking about the turn around in Leafs' talent development tonight. How guys like Wellwood, Stajan, Steen, Coliacovo, Tlusty constantly not living up to expectations is changing, and we are starting to see guys in our system actually rise up and even surpass expectations.

Feels Good Man.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:07 AM
The Mentalist
PRAGMATIC

I recall a poster say a few weeks ago that Morrison is a good scout but it was time to go in a different direction.

Laughable.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:08 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
I recall a poster say a few weeks ago that Morrison is a good scout but it was time to go in a different direction.

Laughable.
Are you Dave Morrison?

If you are, I noticed you at the Calder Finals last year, left you alone, you seemed annoyed that we lost

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:09 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
Since he took over in 2006, these are the NHL players he has drafted:

2006:
Tlusty - 13th
Kulemin - 44th
Reimer - 99th
Holzer - 111th
Stalberg - 161st
Komarov - 180th

2007:
Frattin - 99th
Gunnarsson - 194th

2008:
Schenn - 5th
Hayes? - 60th

2009:
Kadri - 7th

Still a lot of players drafted 2009 and later who can still make it as well. He has done a fine job drafting. No star player picks, but he has manager to find NHLers with the later picks and that I think is where the head scouts make their money.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:09 AM
The Mentalist
PRAGMATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Me and my buddy were just talking about the turn around in Leafs' talent development tonight. How guys like Wellwood, Stajan, Steen, Coliacovo, Tlusty constantly not living up to expectations is changing, and we are starting to see guys in our system actually rise up and even surpass expectations.

Feels Good Man.
I feel good, we have a guy like Mo making picks for us, at times it takes time to see, but we are starting to see this now.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:12 AM
The Mentalist
PRAGMATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Are you Dave Morrison?

If you are, I noticed you at the Calder Finals last year, left you alone, you seemed annoyed that we lost
Did You know Dave Morrison was drafted the same year Larry Murphy was drafted and they were buddies from the same team that was coached by Mike Keenan? Just thought I would throw that out there.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:15 AM
The Mentalist
PRAGMATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post

2006:
Tlusty - 13th
Kulemin - 44th
Reimer - 99th
Holzer - 111th
Stalberg - 161st
Komarov - 180th

2007:
Frattin - 99th
Gunnarsson - 194th

2008:
Schenn - 5th
Hayes? - 60th

2009:
Kadri - 7th

Still a lot of players drafted 2009 and later who can still make it as well. He has done a fine job drafting. No star player picks, but he has manager to find NHLers with the later picks and that I think is where the head scouts make their money.
Holzer and Komarov are making that 2006 draft look great, Mo's first, one of the best for where we were drafting. I think the 2011 draft may be his best, something we can really look forward to soon.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:23 AM
Erdinger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Holzer and Komarov are making that 2006 draft look great, Mo's first, one of the best for where we were drafting. I think the 2011 draft may be his best, something we can really look forward to soon.
No question the later round picks have been good. Something the Leafs have rarely had ever. We always had to trade for these types of players which of course depleted the farm system even more

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:23 AM
The Mentalist
PRAGMATIC

Quote:

2006:
Tlusty - 13th
Kulemin - 44th
Reimer - 99th
Holzer - 111th
Stalberg - 161st
Komarov - 180th

2007:
Frattin - 99th
Gunnarsson - 194th

2008:
Schenn - 5th
Hayes? - 60th

2009:
Kadri - 7th

I'm fairly certain Morgan Rielly will be that star player for us, when you pick #5, that is the hope. 2008 was not a good year, I will freely admit this, not sure what happened there, almost as if Cliff called an audible at the draft table for Schenn.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:25 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Did You know Dave Morrison was drafted the same year Larry Murphy was drafted and they were buddies from the same team that was coached by Mike Keenan? Just thought I would throw that out there.
Never answered my question, good dodging Dave

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:26 AM
The Mentalist
PRAGMATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
No question the later round picks have been good. Something the Leafs have rarely had ever. We always had to trade for these types of players which of course depleted the farm system even more
Will be tough to top 2006, but I truly believe the 2011 draft will be a game changer for us. We will see but there are at least 4 very high quality players in there.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:27 AM
The Mentalist
PRAGMATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Never answered my question, good dodging Dave
Not Dave man, you Dion?

Old
02-10-2013, 01:27 AM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Looks to be interesting draft for sure, time will tell. Took 6 years of developing before Holzer and Komarov made the jump to the NHL. Both to me are playing well enough to be considered full time NHLers, may still be a little premature to say definitively though. Only been 1.5 seasons for the 2011 draft class.

I wish I knew or be able to see more of Nilsson, people really like this guy. Like I have heard people describe him, but I prefer trying to make judgements of my own, only seen a few clips of him. Hopefully one day he comes to NA.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:37 AM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
I'm fairly certain Morgan Rielly will be that star player for us, when you pick #5, that is the hope. 2008 was not a good year, I will freely admit this, not sure what happened there, almost as if Cliff called an audible at the draft table for Schenn.
People can flop so I don't want to say any of the players will have a great NHL career

2008, yeah, don't know what happened.

Not sure if Morrison has always done it, but I only found out about it recently. I like the strategy of drafting leaders. More often than not it is the leaders who work their ass off and motivate others. If you ever want to make the NHL you will have to work your ass off. Can have all the skill in junior but it won't mean anything if you don't work towards making it to the next level. By going for the leaders you know you are getting guys who will try. Skill may not be the best, but you have someone who will do whatever it takes and it makes sense thinking that those people will be more likely to succeed. The strategy could prevent us from ever drafting the home run pick who becomes an all star, but it looks like we will never be in short of quality 3rd/4th line players.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:43 AM
The Mentalist
PRAGMATIC

Quote:
People can flop so I don't want to say any of the players will have a great NHL career

2008, yeah, don't know what happened.

Not sure if Morrison has always done it, but I only found out about it recently. I like the strategy of drafting leaders. More often than not it is the leaders who work their ass off and motivate others. If you ever want to make the NHL you will have to work your ass off. Can have all the skill in junior but it won't mean anything if you don't work towards making it to the next level. By going for the leaders you know you are getting guys who will try. Skill may not be the best, but you have someone who will do whatever it takes and it makes sense thinking that those people will be more likely to succeed. The strategy could prevent us from ever drafting the home run pick who becomes an all star, but it looks like we will never be in short of quality 3rd/4th line players.
Astute observation Grant, Morrison places a lot of importance on leaders and character, I will say this, Erne being suspended will lessen his chances of us drafting him, if he was indeed for selfishness. I would say if anything characterizes Mo more than other scout is he places a lot of importance on who you are, this word sounds overused but not, he loves character kids.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:28 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Oh god its making me giddy thinking about a guy like Biggs, whom is developing nicely into a player who can pound smurfs physically and score on them

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:10 AM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

Quote:
Astute observation Grant, Morrison places a lot of importance on leaders and character, I will say this, Erne being suspended will lessen his chances of us drafting him, if he was indeed for selfishness. I would say if anything characterizes Mo more than other scout is he places a lot of importance on who you are, this word sounds overused but not, he loves character kids.
Great thread as ever Interactif. Love reading any discussion about prospects & our scouts etc... sorry but who is Erne?

Also, Morrison was hired by...? Obviously Fletcher was at the table for Morrison's first draft. Any chance of any of the scouting dept being re-vamped in any way with Nonis at the helm? Certainly hope not but you'd expect Nonis to want to perhaps put some kind of a stamp on things behind the scenes.

HockeyNightInBelfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:39 AM
416Leafer

Ive liked his focus on high hockey IQ for defencemen recently, Percy, Rielly, Finn, etc.

If you dont have high hockey IQ, you CANT be an elite defenceman. If youre not the best skater, dont quite have the best shot, are slightly undersized, etc. you can still be an elite defenceman if you have a high hockey IQ and youre strong in the other attributes. Hockey IQ specifically is the biggest limiting factor IMO on a defencemans potential.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Sundinisagod
93 v2.0

Quote:
Morrison must have been pretty high on Schenn himself. From watching Behind The Draft, I think he says something along the lines of "I told you you are special" to Luke when he walked up to the stage...

...then again, Schenn did look good in his rookie season, he probably just needs to forget everything that Ron Wilson taught him and he'll be fine.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:48 AM
maple syrup

The leafs have also been drafting big boys in the past, like Devane and Broll, maybe Burke's truculence path was the right one after all and the Leafs made a mistake firing him.

One thing is for sure, I don't want to see the Leafs pushed around like in the Fletcher era, where we had no toughness in the line up at all and Schenn had to fight regularly. Bring back Burke, at least he knew what we needed and had set a path to follow "Add truculence, and don't let our skilled players get pushed around" and it finally shows tonight

maple syrup is offline   Reply With Quote