HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Tanking/Rebuilding/Selling at Deadline Thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 613
Basically when the season started, I was pessimistic because I figured:

- The Desharnais line was going to regress. Cole is a 25 goal scorer far more than a 35 goal scorer.

- We'd spend another year searching for answers on the Plekanec line. Did not buy into Bourque bouncing back at all.

- Our small defence would be a MAJOR problem as time goes on.

- With a hectic schedule and our usually injury problems, we'd be ravaged by injuries. And we all know how short we are on depth.

#1 has happened, but it's even worse than I imagined it would be. That line has become a black hole at 5 on 5. The Gally's emerging for 2 weeks helped cover up this problem for a few games, but this past week their scoring dried up and we all know what happened.

#2 has not happened and Bourque has been fairly good, but even then, Gionta has been a disappointment since the NJ game and Plekanec usually starts off hot then settles into his customary 0.7-0.8 PPG range.

#3 was masked for a few games by the ''overload'' defensive strategy, but it's becoming more apparent by the game that opponents have figured how to counter it. You also have our biggest and most physical defenceman (Emelin) putting together an absolutely abysmal stretch of games recently.

#4 has not happened. Yet...

At the end of the day, this remains a team in transition. It's nowhere near a finished product. Fans need to remember that and most importantly, management has to remember it. 2014-15 is the earliest the window can open and that is if MB aces his trade/UFA signings with the cap room we will have this summer and/or likely the summer after that AND another wave of our prospects is in the NHL by then AND Galchenuk quickly becomes a #1 C. It's quite possible we're looking more at 2015-16.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:50 PM
TennisMenace

vCash: 500
Here is my opinion - because this season sucks anyways, just lose and restock with BIG players. It serves us little use to come in 8th and get clobbered in playoffs. I'd rather come in last and get top 3 player.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:52 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

- The Desharnais line was going to regress. Cole is a 25 goal scorer far more than a 35 goal scorer.

- We'd spend another year searching for answers on the Plekanec line. Did not buy into Bourque bouncing back at all.

- With a hectic schedule and our usually injury problems, we'd be ravaged by injuries. And we all know how short we are on depth.

#1 has happened, but it's even worse than I imagined it would be. That line has become a black hole at 5 on 5. The Gally's emerging for 2 weeks helped cover up this problem for a few games, but this past week their scoring dried up and we all know what happened.

#2 has not happened and Bourque has been fairly good, but even then, Gionta has been a disappointment since the NJ game and Plekanec usually starts off hot then settles into his customary 0.7-0.8 PPG range.

#3 was masked for a few games by the ''overload'' defensive strategy, but it's becoming more apparent by the game that opponents have figured how to counter it. You also have our biggest and most physical defenceman (Emelin) putting together an absolutely abysmal stretch of games recently.

At the end of the day, this remains a team in transition. It's nowhere near a finished product. Fans need to remember that and most importantly, management has to remember it. 2014-15 is the earliest the window can open and that is if MB aces his trade/UFA signings with the cap room we will have this summer and/or likely the summer after that AND another wave of our prospects is in the NHL by then AND Galchenuk quickly becomes a #1 C. It's quite possible we're looking more at 2015-16.
With some unloading of veternas for draft picks by bergevin and the four picks we have in the first two round, this years draft could actually become a turning point in the team history.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Undertakerqc

What kind of assets you guys think we could get if we trade(if their is any taker) for the likes of Plekanec, DD, Moen, Cole, Markov, Bourque, Gionta?

Old
02-10-2013, 12:00 AM
DAChampion

Marc,

Like I said many times,

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole became Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev which became Higgins-Koivu-Ryder.

Whenever the Habs put together a genuine 1st line, it's gone the next year, due to various problems. The main pattern here, I think, is that our 1st lines are not built on skill, they're based on players overachieving and having career seasons. That's not a repeatable formula.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Marc,

Like I said many times,

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole became Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev which became Higgins-Koivu-Ryder.

Whenever the Habs put together a genuine 1st line, it's gone the next year, due to various problems. The main pattern here, I think, is that our 1st lines are not built on skill, they're based on players overachieving and having career seasons. That's not a repeatable formula.
Agreed, although i think Patch is the real thing. Big guy with skills.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
We can have short guys on our team, like Gallagher, Desharnais, and Gionta; we just can't have three of them.
Its killed us for a long time and it continues to kill us. Before it was Gomez, Cammy and Gionta and now its two other guys and the captain.

It's not going to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
You mean a Nordiques fan?
Yes. He's one of the very few people I have on ignore and it's for good reason. One of the worst posters on this board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
I'm on the fence as far as tanking, and I'm not sure tonight's game is an indication of what our team is made of, but if we're going downhill for a while, I agree that finishing 14th of Eastern conference is way better than finishing 9th, especially with this year's draft...
We can play it out and see how it goes. The emergence of Galchenyuk changes things a little though. I'm far less inclined to deal away Pleks than I would've been.
Quote:

That's the thing... everyone assumed that Cole would be as good and that Markov would be great and Gionta would return to form. It never works that way. You get good news (Bourque, the Gallys) and bad (Cole, DD.)

At the end of the day, let's see how the team goes and hope for the best. If it doesn't go well, let's hope mgmt is smart enough to continue the rebuild.
Quote:
Well that's the real question. When does the window open? It was starting to look like it might be this year or next but that changed real quick. Galchenyuk does accelerate that window in my opinion though. I figured he'd be a rookie next year and then start becoming an impact player after that. Right now though he just might be our best forward already.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

Well that's the real question. When does the window open? It was starting to look like it might be this year or next but that changed real quick. Galchenyuk does accelerate that window in my opinion though. I figured he'd be a rookie next year and then start becoming an impact player after that. Right now though he just might be our best forward already.
We our still too thin of offensive tallent with size to ever think of a window possibility. We really need to had a second center with size and talent to start thinking about such thing has a window. If we draft top 10 in the draft we might adress that this year.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:09 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
What kind of assets you guys think we could get if we trade(if their is any taker) for the likes of Plekanec, DD, Moen, Cole, Markov, Bourque, Gionta?
Plekanec - bluechip prospect and a 1st.
Markov - bluechip prospect and a 1st, maybe more. If Washington turns things around we should go after Kuznetsov or Forsberg.
Desharnais - A 2nd round draft pick.
Cole - A 2nd round draft pick, maybe a good prospect from a desperate team like Pittsburgh, maybe two 2nds.
Bourque - A 2nd round draft pick
Gionta - A 2nd round draft pick if we're lucky.
Moen - A decent prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Agreed, although i think Patch is the real thing. Big guy with skills.
Pacioretty is a 1st line player, but he's not a 1st line anchor in my opinion.

Do you get what I mean?

Old
02-10-2013, 12:16 AM
Rutabaga

Quote:
Marc,

Like I said many times,

The simple fact that you believe that the Desharnais was 1st line caliber just kills any credibility in your speech.

(Lets remember that they did play 2nd liners, if not 3rd liners during the vast majority of the season last year).

Its too bad that these losses are starting to kill the confidence of the team (and in the team), because they werent playing that badly at all, in fact, they were even quite good. Still i have some doubts about the roster management.

I dont want to be misguided by my judgement, but by now, he really should have seen that Subban and Eller were badly misused in their current roles. The PK is also quite poorly run considering the personnel we have.
Fixing this should be enough to give a good boost to this team and putting it on a more stable road.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Plekanec - bluechip prospect and a 1st.
Markov - bluechip prospect and a 1st, maybe more. If Washington turns things around we should go after Kuznetsov or Forsberg.
Desharnais - A 2nd round draft pick.
Cole - A 2nd round draft pick, maybe a good prospect from a desperate team like Pittsburgh, maybe two 2nds.
Bourque - A 2nd round draft pick
Gionta - A 2nd round draft pick if we're lucky.
Moen - A decent prospect.

Pacioretty is a 1st line player, but he's not a 1st line anchor in my opinion.

Do you get what I mean?
Agreed, he will complement Galchenyuk genius play for many years. He will have the same impact has Neal in Pittsburgh. But in Pitsburgh Crosby and Malkin ''stir the drink''. We need ourselves a second top 2 center top prospect to go along with Galchenyuk.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:19 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
The simple fact that you believe that the Desharnais was 1st line caliber just kills any credibility in your speech.
I don't think that's what he was really saying man...
Quote:
(Lets remember that they did play 2nd liners, if not 3rd liners during the vast majority of the season last year).

Its too bad that these losses are starting to kill the confidence of the team (and in the team), because they werent playing that badly at all, in fact, they were even quite good. Still i have some doubts about the roster management.

I dont want to be misguided by my judgement, but by now, he really should have seen that Subban and Eller were badly misused in their current roles. The PK is also quite poorly run considering the personnel we have.
Fixing this should be enough to give a good boost to this team and putting it on a more stable road.
Special teams haven't really been a problem for us this year. I think we've got other things to worry about.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:28 AM
DAChampion

Quote:

I don't think the Desharnais line is a 1st line caliber trio. You can find me over half the forum calling for Desharnais to be traded or moved to the wing.

I will try and explain better:

I think Pacioretty is a 1st line player, Cole was a 1st line player, and Desharnais overachieved. They had a statistically legitimate 1st line season with some 80 goals scored. **BUT** I didn't think they would repeat, and indeed, they are not repeating.

I explicitly wrote that that 1st line was not based on skill, and was ***not repeatable***, why can't you read man instead of jumping with excitement at the illusion that somebody else lacks credibility?

Old
02-10-2013, 12:36 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
I don't think the Desharnais line is a 1st line caliber trio. You can find me over half the forum calling for Desharnais to be traded or moved to the wing.

I will try and explain better:

I think Pacioretty is a 1st line player, Cole was a 1st line player, and Desharnais overachieved. They had a statistically legitimate 1st line season with some 80 goals scored. **BUT** I didn't think they would repeat, and indeed, they are not repeating.

I explicitly wrote that that 1st line was not based on skill, and was ***not repeatable***, why can't you read man instead of jumping with excitement at the illusion that somebody else lacks credibility?
I'm not even sure any of those three have 1st line skills. DD and Cole overachieved and like the two other lines you mentioned they were more based on chemistry than skills and this doesn't last long. Because if one guy doesn't click for one season, the whole line crumbles. DD was a result of the two guys being uber-monsters giving him the puck. Since they don't have that energy(Cole maybe cause of age, Pac maybe cause of injury) he's left with his keaster in the rain.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:36 AM
Rutabaga

Quote:
I don't think that's what he was really saying man...

Special teams haven't really been a problem for us this year. I think we've got other things to worry about.
Well, the number of penalties we have taken so far (which is way too many, and this 3rd period against Toronto is not there to calm the mood. Whats the point of this stupidity ?) make me believe that this will be a problem.

Anyway, i dont understand why Subban is still playing with Bouillon, because its absolutely counter-productive for the team.

Instead of having 45-50 mins of Markov or Subban, we end up having 35 mins of an average pair in Gorges-Diaz and Bouillon, which is not as bad as i think he would be, but is still not good enough to be an asset.

Eller is horribly used, constantly asked to do something different from the last game, if not period.

Desharnais's line cant start from the defensive end against skilled player. This has been shown several times this year, yet Therrien keeps using them there too many times, in a situation where Desharnais is absolutely useless.

I wonder what Pacioretty could do playing alongside Plekanec. Not that Bourque doesnt deserved some praise, but its just a better fit...

@DA Champion :
Even statistically, its not a legitimate 1st line caliber-season considering the level of competition they had. My apologies if i made a mistake in my reading of your post. (English is not my first nor my second language)
But you should not call them like that, because it seems that some still think that they were that good.

The point is that i find hard to believe that we dont have the tools to reach the PO this year, even with some bumps on the road.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:40 AM
DAChampion

Quote:

@DA Champion :
Even statistically, its not a legitimate 1st line caliber-season considering the level of competition they had. My apologies if i made a mistake in my reading of your post. (English is not my first nor my second language)
But you should not call them like that, because it seems that some still think that they were that good.

The point is that i find hard to believe that we dont have the tools to reach the PO this year, even with some bumps on the road.
The Habs have the tools to make the playoffs but only if everything or nearly everything goes right. Statistically, that doesn't happen often.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:07 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
The Habs have the tools to make the playoffs but only if everything or nearly everything goes right. Statistically, that doesn't happen often.
Everything was going well a week ago... Amazing how much of a difference a three game streak makes.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:15 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Everything was going well a week ago... Amazing how much of a difference a three game streak makes.
Like I said at the time, wouldn't last. We were playing primarily home games, against primarily weak teams. This was never a genuine 5th place team. We're missing:

- a Dman with size, like the Komisarek of old;
- a heavyweight enforcer;
- a good player who can fight, like the Sourray of old;
- A better penalty kill (didn't expect this);
- Goal scoring ability, in particular, someone with size who can drive to the net and score.

Our two best offensive prospects not in the NHL are Danny Kristo and Sebastien Collberg, both 5'11". Leblanc is 6'0". The forward star this year in Hamilton is Gabriel Dumont, potential 6'0" 4th line center.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:31 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Like I said at the time, wouldn't last. We were playing primarily home games, against primarily weak teams. This was never a genuine 5th place team. We're missing:

- a Dman with size, like the Komisarek of old;
- a heavyweight enforcer;
- a good player who can fight, like the Sourray of old;
- A better penalty kill (didn't expect this);
- Goal scoring ability, in particular, someone with size who can drive to the net and score.

Our two best offensive prospects not in the NHL are Danny Kristo and Sebastien Collberg, both 5'11". Leblanc is 6'0". The forward star this year in Hamilton is Gabriel Dumont, potential 6'0" 4th line center.
That's why over the years I've suggested we go after prospects (at least they were prospects at the time) like Bobby Ryan and JVRD. We need big talented forwards and we've needed that forever. But we haven't been willing to pay the price.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:36 AM
pine*

Quote:
That's why over the years I've suggested we go after prospects (at least they were prospects at the time) like Bobby Ryan and JVRD. We need big talented forwards and we've needed that forever. But we haven't been willing to pay the price.
Pretty sure Sheldon Souray could have yielded Bobby Ryan (or another king's ransom) at the time. We missed the playoffs and Souray left for Edmonton, leaving us with nothing to show for.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:45 AM
LastRide

Its actually not a bad idea shipping out the useless bums and build through the draft/trades.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:55 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
And you've been right for years.

Right now though, Bergevin better hurry up. There's a flip side to your and my and others analysis that the Habs cup contention window is opening soon: it also means that the rebuilding window is closing soon. Once Galchenyuk, Tinordi, Beaulieu, etc become good players and once Gionta, Kaberle, etc have their cap hits cleared from the team the rebuilding window will be closed. We will be an 8th or 9th place team even if everything goes wrong.

We're running out of time to stack the deck, I think this season is it, it's now or never to get another top-5 pick and to sell some veterans for 1st rounders. If we don't do it now, we'll have to wait until the next rebuilding cycle in 2020 or so or probably beyond to compile a championship-caliber roster.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:29 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

Right now though, Bergevin better hurry up. There's a flip side to your and my and others analysis that the Habs cup contention window is opening soon: it also means that the rebuilding window is closing soon. Once Galchenyuk, Tinordi, Beaulieu, etc become good players and once Gionta, Kaberle, etc have their cap hits cleared from the team the rebuilding window will be closed. We will be an 8th or 9th place team even if everything goes wrong.

We're running out of time to stack the deck, I think this season is it, it's now or never to get another top-5 pick and to sell some veterans for 1st rounders. If we don't do it now, we'll have to wait until the next rebuilding cycle in 2020 or so or probably beyond to compile a championship-caliber roster.
Just so you know, you're talking to a guys who has a hardon for the Caps. If you ask him, he'll tell you they're a GREAT example of a succesful rebuild

Old
02-10-2013, 02:37 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Pretty sure Sheldon Souray could have yielded Bobby Ryan (or another king's ransom) at the time. We missed the playoffs and Souray left for Edmonton, leaving us with nothing to show for.
And what exactly was the price for grabbing Bobby Ryan? It certainly wasn't a couple months of Souray. Burke was a huge Ryan fan and there was likely nothing we could've offered to get him. It's easy to say we should go after guys like Ryan and JVR but this isn't he 80s or 90s where veterans are more valued then top picks.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:40 AM
Sorinth

Quote:

You do realize rebuilding with top picks is not the only way to build a championship caliber team right

Closed Thread