HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 02:25 AM
timw33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanuck View Post
Since it got closed:...........

Some of you may be impressed by Brendan Gaunce's 20 goals and 36+ pts this season with the Belleville Bulls. In my opinion, whatever you may think, this is upsetting and truly a headshaker.

No offense, but 20 goals and 36 pts IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH for a 1st round player who is almost 19, with his team SECOND IN THE WEST. In my opinion, the guy should be leading the team in goals AND points. He is leading the team in neither category. He now has 38 pts and is FOURTH ON THE TEAM IN SCORING. Considering guys like Colin Smith (Kamloops, WHL) have almost 90 pts as a last round selections, Gaunce's production is attorcious and disturbing.

For a guy that led his team with 28 goals and 68 pts last year....this guy should be currently at 30 goals and 80 pts. Not happy with his production....being 4th on the team in scoring is not good enough and he needs to do something else to better himself and prepare for playing for the Vancouver Canucks organization.

With this being siad, I'm ecstatic that the Canucks organization is committing itself to further study on CHL players, and especially those who are involved in the Western Hockey League. FINALLY. Thank god, since the CHL is where the best players honestly come from.
And even thought it got closed, you're still way off base by basing success with scoreboard watching.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:26 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

Some of you may be impressed by Brendan Gaunce's 20 goals and 36+ pts this season with the Belleville Bulls. In my opinion, whatever you may think, this is upsetting and truly a headshaker.

No offense, but 20 goals and 36 pts IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH for a 1st round player who is almost 19, with his team SECOND IN THE WEST. In my opinion, the guy should be leading the team in goals AND points. He is leading the team in neither category. He now has 38 pts and is FOURTH ON THE TEAM IN SCORING. Considering guys like Colin Smith (Kamloops, WHL) have almost 90 pts as a last round selections, Gaunce's production is attorcious and disturbing.

For a guy that led his team with 28 goals and 68 pts last year....this guy should be currently at 30 goals and 80 pts. Not happy with his production....being 4th on the team in scoring is not good enough and he needs to do something else to better himself and prepare for playing for the Vancouver Canucks organization.

With this being siad, I'm ecstatic that the Canucks organization is committing itself to further study on CHL players, and especially those who are involved in the Western Hockey League. FINALLY. Thank god, since the CHL is where the best players honestly come from.
*waits for the awkward moment when you realize he isn't fourth in scoring, and is actually leading in goals and second in points, 2 back of the team lead while playing 8 fewer games*

Ahem....

Might want to check out www.hockeydb.com

02-10-2013, 02:28 AM
keslerburrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
*waits for the awkward moment when you realize he isn't fourth in scoring, and is actually leading in goals and second in points, 2 back of the team lead while playing 8 fewer games*

Ahem....

Exactly. Might want to check your facts before going on a massive rant, if only to just save yourself time.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:32 AM
arsmaster

Damn. Whyd that thread get locked after I started a reply?

Typed out a real ditty.

Anyways long story short, prior to trade deadline Belleville was the lowest scoring OHL team (or one of the lowest) still had a tremendous .600+ record and only had a 6 or 7 goal differential (crazy numbers for a team with one of the top records in league at the time).

Add Quine and Graovac at deadline (both have more points but played majority of season on other clubs) and they have greatly improved the offensive production on the bulls.

Now they're stingy and they can score. Scary team.

Seems the poster who brought up Gaunce just decided to look him up today.

For a stat sheet scout he isn't even doing a good job of it.

edit* Even after the deadline acquisitions only two OHL teams have scored less than Bellville. They are just a stingy team. They have also allowed the least amount of goals by 9.

This right here is a slice of context for icanuck.

Last edited by arsmaster: 02-10-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Old
02-10-2013, 02:32 AM
iCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post

Ahem....

Uhhhh Graovac has 13 in 12 to lead the Bulls with 48 in 42 and Quine has 20 in 11 for 2nd in Bulls scoring with 46 in 37. Just FYI you should study Hockeydb.com more closely first...

Old
02-10-2013, 02:35 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Uhhhh Graovac has 13 in 12 to lead the Bulls with 48 in 42 and Quine has 20 in 11 for 2nd in Bulls scoring with 46 in 37. Just FYI you should study Hockeydb.com more closely first...
Boy this is awkward....

Did you see Graovac and Quine play all 48 and 46 games with the Bulls? Or would it make you feel better if the Bulls would have traded everyone else away? Maybe we can do that with every player we like. When they aren't leading their team in scoring we can trade the players ahead of them so that in the end they are left leading their team. That'll make all of our prospects great.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:40 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:

38 Points in 42 games.

We are talking about a player who missed alot of time with an injury and who has taken time to get back to peak condiditon.

What you fail to mention is his defensive side of his game has come a long way, from being a pretty big minus, to a + player now. You also fail to mention that he is playing with some good players and also good prospects like Quine and Graovac.

It's not nearly as bad as you think it is, Schroeder "struggled" in his 2nd year with Gophers and look where he is now.

I'm not worried, I'm actually encouraged with how he has turned it around since the injury, at one point he was like 10-12 points behind PPG and now he is close and his +/- has improved dramatically.

Your making too much of this.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:41 AM

This guy is pretty funny.

Gaunce is far and away the original Bulls' leading goal scorer, and is second in points by two, despite playing 8 fewer games than the points leader.

Heck of an argument, though. The AV-style player than Gaunce has already become must be a crushing disappointment to the Canucks organization.

The two new guys were racking up most their points on more prolific teams, as opposed to the "original" Bulls whose team did very well with defensive play and lesser scoring. The Bulls before the trade were an ideal training-ground for tight defensive play, which as we know is what gets a kid a job on the Canucks.

Last edited by 701: 02-10-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old
02-10-2013, 03:06 AM
Wisp

How many multi-point games has Gaunce had since he returned from injury? His production since than is high. Not concerned at all.

Hey, Belleville plays on big ice, right? How's his road scoring compared to home?

Old
02-10-2013, 04:14 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Hey, Belleville plays on big ice, right? How's his road scoring compared to home?
Just quickly counting, at home, he has 20 points. So road would have to be 18. Pretty even.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:19 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Just quickly counting, at home, he has 20 points. So road would have to be 18. Pretty even.
Ah, I was wondering if his points favored the big ice vs more regular sized rinks.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:36 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Ugh, I see they lost against Slovenia, did you get a chance to watch it?
Well I have to get over the dissapointment first

Joking aside.

Denmark dissapointed big time, they played a very bad game offensively, showed the same bad tendencies as in wc 2012. It is typical Danish, we NEED to be underdogs to perform.

Denmark had far more shots than Slovenia and won more FO's but Slovenia did deserve it, they had more heart, intencity and a much better gameplan. Tight defence and fast counterattacks.

Jensen showed flashes of brilliance, but couldn't really connect the dots, to be fair his line was the worst of them all, not including Jensen.

He had 4-5 shots and a fair amount of TOI.

He did dissapoint me, I expected more from him... But it's hard to tell as the whole of team Denmark, underperformed.

Also, it still goes to show if Jensen can work with less skilled linemates. The tendency says no on the NT and in AIK and that is not a good sign.

BUT, as said he did show some flashes of brilliance, with some slick moves and passes that his team mates couldn't finish.

Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 02-10-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old
02-10-2013, 04:50 AM
Zarpan

Quote:
This has actual stats from games they actually played with the Bulls: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...008202013.html

Note that Gaunce is 1st in goals and 2nd in points despite playing 8 games less than Cramarossa.

Also, you mentioned Colin Smith's production as a 7th round pick as a comparable. Smith is a 5'10" 175 pound player who is a year older than Gaunce, having been drafted as a 19 year old. Completely different types of players, and I'm pretty confident Gaunce will have a better career in the NHL.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Nuck This

Gaunce isn't just a point producer. He's strong in all areas and concentrates in all. If he was selfish and trying to get his points he'd probably have more. He's also on a tear right now. He's had a slow start to the season, but has come on strong as of late.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:02 AM
AmazingNuck

Quote:

Are you box-score watching or actually watching the game? Admittedly, I have not watched their games because who the **** are they, so I don't really care. However, what I can say is that there's probably an expectation of Gaunce from management, and the expectation is probably that he will be our long-term third line C.

We've got Henrik and Kesler down the middle for the next two years and I believe the Sedins will be extended once more after their contract is up. We don't know Schroeder's situation because he's a wildcard.. he's short, small, and plays well, but I know Gillis wants to get bigger and tougher.

Gaunce has about 8 years before he hits his prime. I think he'll end up as a Jarret Stoll type player.. big C who can contribute offensively but does well defensively and adds size to whatever line he's on. He's great for us if he can play Kesler-level defense= or even Malhotra-level defense- and adds about 30 points per year.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:37 PM
hockeykid87

Gaunce isn't a top offensive prospect. I'm really surprised a lot of people haven't realized that yet. Add that to the fact that the Bulls have been a terrible offensive team for the last 5 years or so, and you have Gaunce's numbers. After they picked up Graovac and Quine, his offense has gotten better, because he actually has better players to play with. The Bulls have a pretty brutal lineup top to bottom, aside from Malcolm
Subban. Gaunce is their top offensive player, and with 38 points that tells you how their other players are. Also Gaunce has had 2 four point games since they got those two players, so his numbers are even more skewered.

He'll never light the world on fire with his offense, but I'm pretty sure that's not what the Canucks drafted him for

Old
02-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Corrado with an assist, +2. and on ice for all four Kitchener goals. In 14 games with the Rangers he has 10 points and is +18. Imagine the numbers he would put up had he been on a good team all season.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:04 PM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
Corrado with an assist, +2. and on ice for all four Kitchener goals. In 14 games with the Rangers he has 10 points and is +18. Imagine the numbers he would put up had he been on a good team all season.
He's an NHL player next season.

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Garrison-Corrado

Old
02-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Edler Von Gud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Garrison-Corrado

He will definitely be in the mix depending on what other moves are made. He's a good smart kid much like Tanev and it will serve him well in the future. My only concern is that he needs to get stronger over the summer so he's not overwhelmed by the size and speed of the NHL (same situation Tanev was in a few years ago).

Old
02-10-2013, 04:25 PM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
He will definitely be in the mix depending on what other moves are made. He's a good smart kid much like Tanev and it will serve him well in the future. My only concern is that he needs to get stronger over the summer so he's not overwhelmed by the size and speed of the NHL (same situation Tanev was in a few years ago).
I'm sure Canucks trainers will put him on a regimen to prepare for next season. He is needed in the Canucks line-up, a natural right-side RH defenceman.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
He is listed at 6'2, 191 lbs. so it's not as if he's small. I'm sure he can bulk up to 200lbs over a single offseason, so it's not as if he'll be a push over. Plus he's an amazing skater, so he should be able to skate his way out of trouble so to speak.

We need some good young blood in the line up next season to help counter the lower cap. Both Corrado and Jensen are two guys I'd keep my eye on. That being said, I could certainly see either of them spending at least half a season in the AHL. Corrado even moreso, as we are so deep on defense he would get far better minutes in the AHL. I could see him getting the Tanev treatment: even though he's good enough to play in the NHL, he's sent to the AHL to improve further.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:28 PM
timw33

Gaunce also had a goal. Bulls are 3 points back of 1st in the East with 2 games in hand.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:29 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Garrison-Corrado
Gillis will want him to do time in the AHL

a. he's someone gillis can call up and send down and not worry about waivers

b. Gillis wants to prepare his players for pro properly and that means getting him lot's of playing time against men to get ready for the NHL.

c. I thought he looked over matched this year vs NHL guys.

d. we aren't the Islanders

Old
02-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Edler Von Gud

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Gillis will want him to do time in the AHL

a. he's someone gillis can call up and send down and not worry about waivers

b. Gillis wants to prepare his players for pro properly and that means getting him lot's of playing time against men to get ready for the NHL.

c. I thought he looked over matched this year vs NHL guys.

d. we aren't the Islanders
Corrado wouldn't be kept around by the Islanders. His cap hit isn't high enough.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:45 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Corrado wouldn't be kept around by the Islanders. His cap hit isn't high enough.
touche.

Anyway, not sure this has been posted, but here's a nice Gaunce fluff piece by the Bulls website from a few days ago. Since the other scores arrived 9-8-17 +12 in 13 games, more after the last few.

http://www.bellevillebulls.com/artic...l-by-the-horns

Closed Thread