HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

David Rundblad to Philadelphia

Old
02-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Kimahri

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I think Maloney got Rundblad because it was more to get rid of Turris than to directly go after Rundblad. Rundblad just happened to be the piece he got that was fair for Turris. If a player, even if drafted so high, isn't earning his keep under Tippett, then why should he stay in Phoenix and be buried in the minors?
Young phoenix defensemen tend to spend time "buried in the minors". It's nothing new, and It's not personal with Rundblad. Even Keith Yandle spent an entire year, and half the next season in the AHL. This after coming off winning CHL defenseman of the year. Schlemko, Stone, and Summers all spent significant time in the AHL. Gormley will spend the entire season in Portland this year and most of next. The only somewhat exception has been OEL. And even then he spent 15 games in the minors and a lot of time in the pressbox. This is pretty normal for Young Phoenix defensemen and I don't have a problem with it considering we have a pretty good track record with developing them recently.

Kimahri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:33 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimahri View Post
Young phoenix defensemen tend to spend time "buried in the minors". It's nothing new, and It's not personal with Rundblad. Even Keith Yandle spent an entire year, and half the next season in the AHL. This after coming off winning CHL defenseman of the year. Schlemko, Stone, and Summers all spent significant time in the AHL. Gormley will spend the entire season in Portland this year and most of next. The only somewhat exception has been OEL. And even then he spent 15 games in the minors and a lot of time in the pressbox. This is pretty normal for Young Phoenix defensemen and I don't have a problem with it considering we have a pretty good track record with developing them recently.
I still think he has a big wall to get through to be on the team normally. Even if Yandle is gone, more than likely, it will still consist of Schlemko, Stone, Summers, OEL, Michalek and Morris in the top 6, and one would probably have to noticeably suck to allow Rundblad to be a regular.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:41 PM
letowskie

Quote:
Honestly, if Gormley might be set to play for next season, I can easily see Rundblad being the guy out. I think you guys should keep Yandle till OEL and Gormley truly take over, then he might become trade bait. What I'm getting at is, he would be an everyday player for us. So other coaches don't have higher standards? Tippett just has a different play style than others, as in he is way more defensive oriented than offensive, while others balance it or focus more on offense (Lavy is more of a balance, if not, then just a slight bias on offense). Because of that I think Rundblad would thrive with the Flyers, especially considering we need another PMD other than Timonen.
Not really; Yandle, OEL, and Gormley are all LHD, and it is likely that sooner or later, one of them will be moved if a high-end skilled forward comes back in a deal. The right side on the long term is actually not nearly as rosy as the left. If Murphy's development is on schedule, then maybe we can afford to move Rundblad; but we will need at least one top-4 RHD with offensive capabilities in a couple of seasons.

I just don't understand why Phillie fans keep harping on Rundblad, but most of them refuse to offer anything substantial. And NO, Read is not going to be any where near enough to land Rundblad; Read is long term a 3rd liner at best, which we have plenty of. The only area that we are interested in are top-flight forwards, or those who have potential to be. Anything else need not apply, period.

letowskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Huge offensive upside and skill, a long ways to go on the defensive side.

If he spends a couple of years learning from Tippett and Playfair, he could develop into a real gem.
I've seen alot of Rundblad for a long time. I agree with this 100%.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:48 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by letowskie View Post
Not really; Yandle, OEL, and Gormley are all LHD, and it is likely that sooner or later, one of them will be moved if a high-end skilled forward comes back in a deal. The right side on the long term is actually not nearly as rosy as the left. If Murphy's development is on schedule, then maybe we can afford to move Rundblad; but we will need at least one top-4 RHD with offensive capabilities in a couple of seasons.

I just don't understand why Phillie fans keep harping on Rundblad, but most of them refuse to offer anything substantial. And NO, Read is not going to be any where near enough to land Rundblad; Read is long term a 3rd liner at best, which we have plenty of. The only area that we are interested in are top-flight forwards, or those who have potential to be. Anything else need not apply, period.
He isn't a 3rd liner though. He's been a 2nd liner for us this season and has the most goals so far for the Flyers. He would usually be a 3rd liner if we didn't have Hartnell injured but that's also on a pretty stacked offense. 24 goals in his rookie season, was in the running for the Calder for a while, and is looking even better this season. He also has a very good two-way game. If Phoenix could turn Vrbata into a 30+ goal scorer, what do you think Read would do? Also, a top-flight forward for someone who has only played 33 games and been on 3 different teams?

Old
02-09-2013, 02:51 PM
letowskie

Quote:
Doan is bottom 6? Also, hasn't Hanzal been pretty good for you guys?
He's right. Hanzal is incredible at the role that he plays, probably one of the top defensive forwards of this generation. But at the end of the day, he's still ideally a 3C on a contender (one of the best, no doubt). We will need at least legit top-6 forwards to be truly taken seriously in the playoffs.

It would be idea to acquire a pair like Couture and Perron, or Richards and Hodgeson, something along those lines. We have a ton of depth and potential on D, so those teams (SJ, StL, LA, Buff) and others (Pitt, Phillie, Col, etc) that might be looking for long term solutions fo top-4 D might be good trade partners.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:54 PM
letowskie

Quote:
He isn't a 3rd liner though. He's been a 2nd liner for us this season and has the most goals so far for the Flyers. He would usually be a 3rd liner if we didn't have Hartnell injured but that's also on a pretty stacked offense. 24 goals in his rookie season, was in the running for the Calder for a while, and is looking even better this season. He also has a very good two-way game. If Phoenix could turn Vrbata into a 30+ goal scorer, what do you think Read would do? Also, a top-flight forward for someone who has only played 33 games and been on 3 different teams?
Notice I said long term, for us at least. We don't have the forward crops of a team like Phillie. If a forward were to come back for one of Gormley/Rundblad, we would expect him to be the primary weapon on a line, which Read is definitely not. Read can contribute with the right linemates and where he isn't the focus of the other team's D on his line, that's just not possible on the Yotes.

So No, Read is definitely not the type of player that we would be looking for. We would much rather keep Rundblad around if Read is the best that we can do. He is still the RHD in the system (including current NHL roster) that has the highest potential and best pure offensive ability.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:58 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Rundblad has the same pull as Gormley? Ummm, I'm not sure that's right. Pretty sure Gormley is the better of the two and harder to attain.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
I still think he has a big wall to get through to be on the team normally. Even if Yandle is gone, more than likely, it will still consist of Schlemko, Stone, Summers, OEL, Michalek and Morris in the top 6, and one would probably have to noticeably suck to allow Rundblad to be a regular.
I would rate Rundblad ahead of Summers, by a wide margin.

Jakey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:12 PM
letowskie

Quote:
Rundblad has the same pull as Gormley? Ummm, I'm not sure that's right. Pretty sure Gormley is the better of the two and harder to attain.
Not exactly; but they should be roughly in the same level of value that we would expect. I think moving Gormley makes more sense, since LHD is extraordinarily strong in the organization, and in the long term, the team would not even feel the departure of Gormley, assuming both Yandle and OEL stay long term. We can get a bit better offer for a package centered on Gormley anyways.

Rundblad is slightly less mature and slightly less of a sure thing. But he is someone that we might actually need a couple years into the future, unless Murphy really speeds up his development and becomes a top-4 D by the time he is 21/22 (pretty unlikely for almost any D prospect to be developing that fast).

Old
02-09-2013, 03:22 PM
SolidSnakeUS

When you mentioned who want to come to the club, I don't think Yandle could get Couture away from the Sharks. Richards might be really tough because he's the 3rd line center they do need, since Loktionov is gone now. Same with Perron as with Couture. He's still young and is very good when he isn't injured. Also, considering how Hodgson is thriving in Buffalo, I can't imagine him being traded. Also, this is just something I've noticed from an outside guy, is that Phoenix, outside of Doan and Yandle, don't really like to spend all that much money. I know Phoenix has had so many problems financially and in some ways, it also shows in the fact they won't go out and spend a lot for someone. If you want top-flight, you're probably going to have to put some good things up there or possibly pay (signing).

Old
02-09-2013, 03:26 PM
FlyingHigh28*

I could see Holmgren coming in w/ a sneaky offersheet to Rundblad. If he comes in around 4M, I'm not sure if Phoenix would match on an unproven player. And it'd probably be worth the 1st + 3rd gamble to a team like Philly.

FlyingHigh28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
I could see Holmgren coming in w/ a sneaky offersheet to Rundblad. If he comes in around 4M, I'm not sure if Phoenix would match on an unproven player. And it'd probably be worth the 1st + 3rd gamble to a team like Philly.
I don't. No GM in the league would offer 4 million per for an unproven prospect.

Kimahri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:37 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
I don't. No GM in the league would offer 4 million per for an unproven prospect.
It's called a poison pill.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Vip
In the clouds

Quote:
Doan is bottom 6? Also, hasn't Hanzal been pretty good for you guys?

Absolutely. Especially as of late. Doan is a turnover machine. Actually, he doesn't even hit so i don't know how effective he would be as a bottom 6 player. He is a fraction of the player he used to be. Just ask any of us on the Coyotes boards.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:39 PM
SolidSnakeUS

And you guys signed Doan with a NMC .

Old
02-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Prongo
Beer

Why in the world would any GM make an offer sheet up to 4 million dollars per year for a player who has 33 games under his belt in the NHL. HF really really over valuing prospects here.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:59 PM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Why in the world would any GM make an offer sheet up to 4 million dollars per year for a player who has 33 games under his belt in the NHL. HF really really over valuing prospects here.
Not overvaluing a prospect at all, just thinking up an outside the box scenario where Holmgren could potentially acquire a top PMD prospect who is more advanced/NHL ready in his development than a typical draft candidate. And the beauty is he could do so without giving up any roster players.

If you trade for Rundblad, it's going to cost a pretty penny from the Flyers. At minimum one of our good young forwards. If you look at more proven RFAs and giving one of them an offersheet, opposing GMs are almost 100% guaranteed to match. And if you look at the PMDs who make it to UFA status, none of them have the skill or potential that Rundblad does.

For a team like my Flyers desperately in need of a PMD, a short-term 4M per year deal could make a lot of sense. The Flyers can afford it and Rundblad is getting a heck of a lot more money than if he doesn't sign an OS. And I think there's a decent chance PHX doesn't match.

FlyingHigh28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
I agree. I still do not understand the love affair with Rundblad.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Security Guard Chang*

David has absolute star potential. But its dubious if he hits it.

Couterier for rundblad plus first ?

Security Guard Chang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:50 PM
hbk

Quote:
If his hands are unreal, with possibly a better defense than others on the team and possibly the next Zubov, then why isn't he playing normally?
Phoenix has a very good top 6 and it's better in the long run if Rundblad plays 20-25 mins a night at the AHL level at this point in his career. Phoenix is nurturing their talent; something they have been heavily criticized in the past for not doing.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:24 AM
YotesFan47

I'll send you Yandle and Bissonnette for Simmonds, Read, and a 2nd. With the shortened season I'm ok with possibly missing the playoffs. We could also sell Torres and Moss at the deadline for a few 3rd and 4th round picks. We have drafted some gems in those rounds and our roster is still sick without those 3 players. The only thing that would upset me is the fact that Yandle is a great leader and likes playing for Phoenix so moving him would be hard. I'm sure I'm probably the only coyotes fan ok with taking this strategy though.

YotesFan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:06 AM
DesertDawg

^
I know that I wouldn't like it

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:09 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan47 View Post
I'll send you Yandle and Bissonnette for Simmonds, Read, and a 2nd.
The Flyers can't afford to give away 2 top 6 forwards (Totaling more than 50 goals) in the same deal like that in a mid-season deal, especially 2 of their better finishers. Offseason when they could do a few other things to add a forward to compensate? Maybe they'd consider it. Even still 2 top 6 forwards and a second rounder is truly premium for a guy like Yandle. A fine player and a definite number 1 on Philly, but still a lot of NHL level talent to provide in a single deal for a player that isn't in the highest tier.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:00 AM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan47 View Post
I'll send you Yandle and Bissonnette for Simmonds, Read, and a 2nd. With the shortened season I'm ok with possibly missing the playoffs. We could also sell Torres and Moss at the deadline for a few 3rd and 4th round picks. We have drafted some gems in those rounds and our roster is still sick without those 3 players. The only thing that would upset me is the fact that Yandle is a great leader and likes playing for Phoenix so moving him would be hard. I'm sure I'm probably the only coyotes fan ok with taking this strategy though.
How about Read and Lilja for Rundblad and Biz Nasty?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote