HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson (2009, 10th overall, Edmonton, traded to St. Louis) II

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 02:36 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 100
I always said this about Magnus, and I'll probably get bashed because I'm a Flames fan, but to me, he's always looked more like Freddy Sjostrom than the Hossa-lite comments that were always thrown around.. He has all the tools, just absolutely no vision. Also since some brought up Omark, I also called that one

Old
02-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Garl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
I always said this about Magnus, and I'll probably get bashed because I'm a Flames fan, but to me, he's always looked more like Freddy Sjostrom than the Hossa-lite comments that were always thrown around.. He has all the tools, just absolutely no vision. Also since some brought up Omark, I also called that one

Hossa is a sniper. Magnus is not. However, Sjostrom and Paajarvi don't compare either. They have similarities like size, speed and bad hands, but Paajarvi is way, way more creative and talented with the puck.
Sjostrom would never be a big scorer in SEL or WC level, while Paajarvi already was one at just 20 y.o.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:13 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

The Hossa comparisons were so dumb, you could see once MPS got within a certain distance of a goal he had no hands. I pointed out to Oiler fans last year he had cement hands, I went and watched all of his goals and very few displayed a elite talent. his speed is elite but inside the offensive blueline he is not very skilled, that said he needs to get out of Edmonton and have a change of scenary he could still be a 15 goal third liner

Old
02-06-2013, 12:11 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
The Hossa comparisons were so dumb, you could see once MPS got within a certain distance of a goal he had no hands. I pointed out to Oiler fans last year he had cement hands, I went and watched all of his goals and very few displayed a elite talent. his speed is elite but inside the offensive blueline he is not very skilled, that said he needs to get out of Edmonton and have a change of scenary he could still be a 15 goal third liner
Why would he need to get out of Edmonton when we need him to be a 15 goal third liner? He has great chemisty with Lander and Hartikainen, and is relishing his role on the team. I dont know why he would want out, if you listen to his interviews he seems very happy.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:21 PM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
To me he looks lot like Marcel Hossa

Old
02-09-2013, 02:00 AM
msrulo

draft bust?

Old
02-09-2013, 03:49 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
draft bust?
He's very close to cementing himself as an everyday top 9 NHL forward so I wouldn't say that he is a bust. That said I also don't think that he'll ever be a 1st line winger so if a 3rd line winger with 2nd line upside is a bust at #10 then I guess so, personally I'm just glad that he's starting to find a niche for himself.

02-09-2013, 03:57 AM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
He's very close to cementing himself as an everyday top 9 NHL forward so I wouldn't say that he is a bust. That said I also don't think that he'll ever be a 1st line winger so if a 3rd line winger with 2nd line upside is a bust at #10 then I guess so, personally I'm just glad that he's starting to find a niche for himself.
He did pretty good at the SEL. What do you think of guys like Filip Forsberg that play in the 2nd tier of Swedish hockey. I'm starting to get my doubts with swedes.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:20 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
It's not going to happen with the Oilers. He seems to be falling down the depth chart and the team is hanging on to him because of his potential. But if that potential isn't realized with the team he is on, he'll end up going back to Europe or get bounced via waivers and be a lost cause.

I'd hate to see that happen to a prospect. It's one of the reasons I want Tangradi gone, not because he sucks, but because he's a talented player in a bad situation that needs a change of scenery.

As it stands, he has 0pts in 7gms and he's a -4. Technically, this is his 3rd year, if Tambellini was smart, he'd move him now, for something, instead of risking losing him for nothing (ie: Boychuk).

Old
02-09-2013, 04:36 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
It's not going to happen with the Oilers. He seems to be falling down the depth chart and the team is hanging on to him because of his potential. But if that potential isn't realized with the team he is on, he'll end up going back to Europe or get bounced via waivers and be a lost cause.

I'd hate to see that happen to a prospect. It's one of the reasons I want Tangradi gone, not because he sucks, but because he's a talented player in a bad situation that needs a change of scenery.

As it stands, he has 0pts in 7gms and he's a -4. Technically, this is his 3rd year, if Tambellini was smart, he'd move him now, for something, instead of risking losing him for nothing (ie: Boychuk).
The Oilers are hanging onto him because he's a top9 forward and they need top9 forwards. He's already a good 3rd liner with potential to get much better in that role.

Getting rid of a young useful NHLer because they haven't lived up to the offensive hype of their draft position wouldn't be smart at all.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:38 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
The Oilers are hanging onto him because he's a top9 forward and they need top9 forwards. He's already a good 3rd liner with potential to get much better in that role.

Getting rid of a young useful NHLer because they haven't lived up to the offensive hype of their draft position wouldn't be smart at all.
They turned a kid with the potential to be a top 6 winger into a bottom 6 player. I guess you can find some solace in that, I suppose.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:45 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
They turned a kid with the potential to be a top 6 winger into a bottom 6 player. I guess you can find some solace in that, I suppose.
The majority of Paajarvi's time spent with the Oilers organization since coming to NA has been in a top6 role. Whether it be with Edmonton or OKC.

It was brutally obvious that there was very little top 6 potential there.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:57 AM
Honour Over Glory

Would gladly move Tangradi and a later pick for him, at least then you'd get a guy that drove to the net and caused some havoc with his 6'4" frame.

But I've seen the discussions with Oilers fans vs Pens fans, don't want to go down that path.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:04 AM
dnicks17

Paajarvi is slowly getting better at using his frame.

He's been driving the net more and has thrown some of the biggest hits from our forward core this season.

Personally I'd prefer Paajarvi's skating and defensive conscience to Tangradi's top6 potential, but you're right, we probably shouldn't get into that.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:39 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Personally I'd prefer Paajarvi's skating and defensive conscience to Tangradi's top6 potential,
Paajarvi still has more top 6 potential than Tangradi.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Roof Daddy

He seems to have embraced his new role, I have no problem keeping him. With his speed and defensive acumen he should be an excellent PK guy and solid bottom 6er capable of 10-20-30 type numbers. I'm OK with that.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:01 PM
7thRoundBust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I have to ask, is there any particular reason why scouts and critics alike don't think MSP could go #2, or even #1?

I mean personally, I like Hedman as #1 but if I were picking 2nd it would be Magnus without a doubt. From what I've seen and heard, he is so much more dynamic than John Tavares.

I just don't see JT living up to the hype while I see Magnus really flourishing in the NHL. Great skater, nice passer, vision, can snipe it... just the total package.

Is John Tavares really going to be that special, or is it simply a case of the great Canadian hype machine at work?

Looking back at this now.... you were wayyyy off. haha.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:01 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
He did pretty good at the SEL. What do you think of guys like Filip Forsberg that play in the 2nd tier of Swedish hockey. I'm starting to get my doubts with swedes.
That type of thinking doesn't work with Swedes, many of whom play for a local team as juniors. Filip Forsberg wasn't playing in the 2nd tier because he was a lesser prospect, Leksand is his youth team. There's also relegation/promotion between the two leagues.

MPS did go from Malmö IF to Timrå at age 15 but that was going from a team with constant problems to a better team, but a lot of players don't move across the country like that.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Quote:
Really? Because the Vezina, Calder and Norris trophy winners from last years are all Swedes

Beside OEL come from the 2nd tier league in Sweden before coming to NHL and he is doing fine.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:45 PM
nitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
He seems to have embraced his new role, I have no problem keeping him. With his speed and defensive acumen he should be an excellent PK guy and solid bottom 6er capable of 10-20-30 type numbers. I'm OK with that.
I'm not ok with that. It's not what he was drafted to be and players with that skill set are a dime a dozen.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
I'm not ok with that. It's not what he was drafted to be and players with that skill set are a dime a dozen.
Look at our draft record with first rders in the 90's. I'm pretty sure the Oil would have taken that. We had 14 first rounders from 90-99, never higher than 4, never lower than 20. 2 never played a game, 1 played 5, another 12. Only 3 became top 6/impact players (Arnott, Smyth and Rucinsky), with 2 more redefining their role to have productive careers in the bottom 6 (Devereaux and Wright, taken 6th and 12th respectively). Not every first rounder is going to become they were initially drafted to be. I'd much rather have a player willing to do what it takes to play everyday than a guy still convinced he's a star due to draft pedigree. Tyler Wright is a good example of a guy who completely reinvented his game.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Huffman

There are still not a lot of guys picked after him that I would take ahead of him today. I would definitely take him ahead of Glennie and perhaps Kadri though, who were picked before him.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:50 AM
KapG

Have you evn watched kadri play this year? Kids been one of our most dangerous players.

Old
02-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Bump.

How has Paajarvi-Svensson looked in St. Louis this season? I guess this thread no longer belongs in the Prospects section.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:55 PM
A91

Looking through this thread, he has so much potential. I was ecstatic when we drafted him, so much speed, too bad it never worked out.

From what I read he has been drifting in and out of the Blues line up, I dont think Hitchcock likes his game that much. He is developing on the 3rd/4th line and if he reaches his potential will be an elite 2-way 3rd line winger. PLease correct me if im wrong anyone!

What I want to know is if he has regained confiedence? And if he still shoots at the goalies chest every damn play coming down the wing .

Closed Thread