HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

What Is Up With Attendance?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2013, 04:12 PM
  #26
OKCDevil
Registered User
 
OKCDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oklahoma City
Country: United States
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Ono View Post
People forgot about the NHL it is a garage league and it earned its reputation with the latest lockout.
No kidding.

I guess I might be needing a team soon and I already love the Cardinals, so maybe the Blues will be it.

OKCDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:24 PM
  #27
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,419
vCash: 50
The economy is way worse than what you hear on the bubblevision

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:29 PM
  #28
ItsOnlytheRiver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
The economy is way worse than what you hear on the bubblevision
You guys keep throwing out excuses. The economy was bad last year. I'm sure the lockout has had an affect on attendance a bit, but when I went to week night games last year the attendance was far less than filled yet they were reporting sell outs every night. The biggest difference here is new ownership is no longer lying.

ItsOnlytheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:34 PM
  #29
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 19,770
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsOnlytheRiver View Post
You guys keep throwing out excuses. The economy was bad last year. I'm sure the lockout has had an affect on attendance a bit, but when I went to week night games last year the attendance was far less than filled yet they were reporting sell outs every night. The biggest difference here is new ownership is no longer lying.
This and only this. And this again.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:13 PM
  #30
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,419
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsOnlytheRiver View Post
You guys keep throwing out excuses. The economy was bad last year. I'm sure the lockout has had an affect on attendance a bit, but when I went to week night games last year the attendance was far less than filled yet they were reporting sell outs every night. The biggest difference here is new ownership is no longer lying.


I am not saying they weren't lying last year, I am saying the economy is horrible. Was horrible last year too. It's not getting better either. They lie about unemployment stats, they lie about inflation stats, they lie about nearly every category imaginable. All they can do is keep printing trillions of dollars and hope to keep it floating as long as possible. Meanwhile, the middle class keeps eroding.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:58 PM
  #31
ItsOnlytheRiver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
I am not saying they weren't lying last year, I am saying the economy is horrible. Was horrible last year too. It's not getting better either. They lie about unemployment stats, they lie about inflation stats, they lie about nearly every category imaginable. All they can do is keep printing trillions of dollars and hope to keep it floating as long as possible. Meanwhile, the middle class keeps eroding.
And all this amounts to what? A 4 or 5 person difference maybe? And that's if what you're saying is even true (which isn't a discussion for this board). Bottom line is the difference between this year and last is that they were lying last year and they've had exactly one weekend game so far.

ItsOnlytheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:41 PM
  #32
sh724
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Missouri
Country: United States
Posts: 2,045
vCash: 500
The economy is not horrible at all the economy is really strong and growing. The problem is the job market, which is not directly related to the economy. Companies have learned to be more efficient with less employees. So while companies are making more and more money they are not hiring as many employees as the used to. But this is way off topic and has nothing to do with attendance so I will stop there instead of writing a book in this box.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:14 AM
  #33
homeoftheBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 30
vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh724 View Post
The economy is not horrible at all the economy is really strong and growing. The problem is the job market, which is not directly related to the economy. Companies have learned to be more efficient with less employees. So while companies are making more and more money they are not hiring as many employees as the used to. But this is way off topic and has nothing to do with attendance so I will stop there instead of writing a book in this box.
I couldn't disagree more. The economy is not really strong and growing, in fact the last GDP number was negative showing that the economy is contracting. Furthermore, the job market has everything to do with the economy. It's no coincidence that every economist in the world is glued to their screen the first Friday of every month when the employment numbers are released. However I would suspect that most folks feel about the same economically as they did last year. If there is an attendance problem at all it's due to the compressed schedule. Too many home games over a short period of time. Supply>Demand.

If the poor play continues, I suspect that attendance will become a problem though.

homeoftheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:57 AM
  #34
mighty all the way
Registered User
 
mighty all the way's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 1,491
vCash: 500
Maybe its cuz you guys have that stereotype of low scoring boring games, but of course your games aren't boring at all. Last night was probably the most exciting game I watched in a few years, that was such a heart attack game, I love those!

Your attendance will be back up once you make the playoffs this year and people start forgetting about the lock out. Don't worry guys.

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:05 AM
  #35
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 19,770
vCash: 50
Lots of games and owners that don't manufacture sellouts. You guys are looking at this way too hard.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:31 PM
  #36
sh724
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Missouri
Country: United States
Posts: 2,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeoftheBlues View Post
I couldn't disagree more. The economy is not really strong and growing, in fact the last GDP number was negative showing that the economy is contracting. Furthermore, the job market has everything to do with the economy. It's no coincidence that every economist in the world is glued to their screen the first Friday of every month when the employment numbers are released. However I would suspect that most folks feel about the same economically as they did last year. If there is an attendance problem at all it's due to the compressed schedule. Too many home games over a short period of time. Supply>Demand.

If the poor play continues, I suspect that attendance will become a problem though.
Sigh. Just looking at a number tells you absolutely nothing. The reason why the GDP dropped less than one percent is because defense spending was 23% lower in the fourth quarter than what it was in the third quarter. If you look at defense spending historically you would see that there are huge swings in spending from quarter to quarter. If you take out the defense spending the economy grew. In the past month the stock market hit its highest point since 2007 and the measurement of fear and uncertainty in the market was the lowest since 2002.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:37 PM
  #37
homeoftheBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 30
vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh724 View Post
Sigh. Just looking at a number tells you absolutely nothing. The reason why the GDP dropped less than one percent is because defense spending was 23% lower in the fourth quarter than what it was in the third quarter. If you look at defense spending historically you would see that there are huge swings in spending from quarter to quarter. If you take out the defense spending the economy grew. In the past month the stock market hit its highest point since 2007 and the measurement of fear and uncertainty in the market was the lowest since 2002.
Your point is that the economy is "actually strong and growing and that the job market has nothing to do with the economy" You can play with the statistics any way you want but at the end of the day you can't say that the economy is very strong and expect to have any sort of credibility on the issue. -.4 GDP or even 2% GDP is hardly a strong economy. Last I checked St. Louis had a quite a few families that depend on the defense industry.

That being said, the economy is not the issue, it's not much better or worse than last year. Too much supply in a short period of time and poor hockey are the primary drivers. There has been a game every other day this week with roughly 80K seats for sale over a short period of time. That's a lot of hockey for a small market to absorb in less than a week.

homeoftheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:55 PM
  #38
sh724
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Missouri
Country: United States
Posts: 2,045
vCash: 500
you can repeat the decrease in GDP all you want but as I already said that was because defense spending was 23% less than it was in the previous quarter. Unemployment can cause uncertainty in the market which can hurt the economy however as I also already said the uncertainty in the market is at its lowest point since 2002. That is not playing with statistics those are facts. A decrease in defense spending does not necessarily hurt the defense industry, if you look at the history of defense spending it drastically changes from one quarter to the next. A change of 15%+ is not out of the ordinary for the defense industry. While it may make GDP look worse it is normal for the defense companies who plan ahead since pretty much its all contracted work the companies know when they are getting paid and for how much.

The growth and strength of the economy is based on the growth and strength of the private sector, if you look at the private sector you will see for the most part companies are profitable and not only are they making money but they are making more money at a faster rate than they have historically. Companies have become a lot more efficient and have learned to have the same or greater output with less employees, increasing their bottom line. A business that used to need 100 employees to maximize profits can now do it with 90 employees causing unemployment to be higher but the business to be stronger.

The reason the economy is not growing as fast as people want it to is because of the amount of jobs that have been cut from the public sector (government) and the amount of cuts in government spending. If you only look at the private sector the economy is growing at a rate most people would find acceptable.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:18 PM
  #39
Rizzo90
Registered User
 
Rizzo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh724 View Post
you can repeat the decrease in GDP all you want but as I already said that was because defense spending was 23% less than it was in the previous quarter. Unemployment can cause uncertainty in the market which can hurt the economy however as I also already said the uncertainty in the market is at its lowest point since 2002. That is not playing with statistics those are facts. A decrease in defense spending does not necessarily hurt the defense industry, if you look at the history of defense spending it drastically changes from one quarter to the next. A change of 15%+ is not out of the ordinary for the defense industry. While it may make GDP look worse it is normal for the defense companies who plan ahead since pretty much its all contracted work the companies know when they are getting paid and for how much.

The growth and strength of the economy is based on the growth and strength of the private sector, if you look at the private sector you will see for the most part companies are profitable and not only are they making money but they are making more money at a faster rate than they have historically. Companies have become a lot more efficient and have learned to have the same or greater output with less employees, increasing their bottom line. A business that used to need 100 employees to maximize profits can now do it with 90 employees causing unemployment to be higher but the business to be stronger.

The reason the economy is not growing as fast as people want it to is because of the amount of jobs that have been cut from the public sector (government) and the amount of cuts in government spending. If you only look at the private sector the economy is growing at a rate most people would find acceptable.

this is complete & total hogwash & clearly comes from the "nbc" family of propaganda

Rizzo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:19 PM
  #40
Twisted Blue
Registered User
 
Twisted Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
Just my personal experience, but I was without a job for six months after my school district released all non-tenure teachers. This was the second time in four years that I found myself looking for a job due to budget constraints. Now I'm in the private sector working for a software consulting firm. My wife and I are trying to build back up our savings and know full well that either of us could lose our jobs again if our companies decide to downsize. How can we spend money on a luxury like Blues season tickets? One or two games, free tickets aside, will probably be the most that we can do. I also don't have a single friend our age that is a STH for Blues or Cards, my wife and I are in our low 30's. Maybe the economy will turn around and our careers will recover the income that we lost during this recession, but I'm not betting the bank on it.

Twisted Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:32 PM
  #41
sh724
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Missouri
Country: United States
Posts: 2,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo90 View Post
this is complete & total hogwash & clearly comes from the "nbc" family of propaganda
Hockey is pretty much the only thing I watch on any Comcast channel.

What in there is incorrect?

Anybody can look at wall street and see companies are making money, yet unemployment is still high. You can also look at defense spending and see that it dropped considerably in the 4th quarter and if you look back at the past 10+ years you would see it fluctuates. Uncertainty in the stock market is a a calculable statistic. Anybody can look at government spending and see that it is decreasing and any one can look at the amount of government jobs and see that it is also decreasing. Pretty much everything I said can be backed up by statistics so how about you provide some actual evidence of me being incorrect, instead of assuming I am getting information from main stream media all of which has a bias.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:02 PM
  #42
Celtic Note
Moderator
Chi Town Bound
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,593
vCash: 500
MOD Note: Lets get the thread back on topic.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:19 PM
  #43
Blues88
Registered User
 
Blues88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh724 View Post
The game Sarah Palin was at was the worst 90% of the people around me where just there to see her and had no idea what was going on but they all talked like they knew everything.

I was at a game last year about 10 rows from the ice. It was half threw the third and they did not know Minnesota's name is the 'wild' Some one yelled some thing about the wild and this lady starts asking 'the wild what?'
Wasn't that the game that Legace tripped on the carpet getting onto the ice and was promptly on the IR for the next few games? I was at that game as well.

Manny Legace people. That situation fit him....a goofy guy with unfortunate luck.

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:45 PM
  #44
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!
 
bluemandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Lots of games and owners that don't manufacture sellouts. You guys are looking at this way too hard.
I feel its gotta be this.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:12 AM
  #45
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,137
vCash: 500
They would have better attendance if their pre-game ceremonies went like this:

Story Link



Last edited by EastonBlues22: 02-11-2013 at 12:12 PM.
EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:19 AM
  #46
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 19,770
vCash: 50
Are condors and honey badgers distant cousins?

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:02 AM
  #47
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!
 
bluemandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
They would have better attendance if they're pre-game ceremonies went like this:

Story Link

Ugh. I can't stand when the Star Spangled Banner is sung as a dirge. The original song was a drinking song for the Anacreontic Society, and much faster. It was never meant as a demonstration piece for performer to show-off how long they can hold notes.

Some of the most chilling moments are when you hear an entire stadium singing their national anthem, be it in Canada, Germany, Sweden, or wherever. But that doesn't happen here because the singers never sing the song consistently, or even close to the way its supposed to be sung.



Sorry for getting on my high horse.
/endrant

P.S. that was pretty funny with the condor.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.