HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Can we all please calm down?

Old
02-10-2013, 07:08 AM
TennisMenace

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
The thing is you dont win consistently with smurf like teams. Hasnt work in Montreal.
Maybe many of the guys posting here were not witnessing the Habs of the 60s and 70s. I did. We had a few smaller players like Ivan and LaFleur, but always surrounded by larger protecting bodies.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Craig71

Terrible loss tonight, I am still shocked by how easy it looked for the Leafs. I have to hope that the guys in charge will make the right decisions about the team going forward. It looked eerily similar to what we saw last year. My take, the team has too many small players that are very limited in certain types of games and are counted on to do things that often times they simply cannot.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Craig71

On a brighter note, the Leafs fans are laughing now but just wait, the hockey gods will even it all out. We will live to laugh at them all once again.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
How can we send a message when the only fiesty people we have weigh 195. And everyone over that doesn't hit.
If we could only get Emelin Moen Subban Bourque and Eller to hit...

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

The team just needs to bounce back in a big way. I'm not worried and I still think this is a playoff team.

Last night, almost every player sucked, and we still (for a second straight game) managed to outplay the Leafs overall.

1) Price needs to better.
2) Our offense (except Pleks/Bourque/Gallys) need to be better.
3) Bouillon needs to play even less.
4) Our centres need to bring a coach to work specifically on faceoffs. What's Perreault doing?

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
They basicly gave up Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton for Kessel. Probably one of the worst trade in league history when those two will have mature. Plus they gave up Tukka Rask for Raycroft. The Boston Bruins should be called the Boston Maple Bruins!!
Scott Gomez for Ryan McDonaugh is up there.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:13 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
The best way to rally everyone is to go overboard. Then people will unite to flame you about how wacko you're being. If you act reasonable, this will encite panic.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:20 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
The team just needs to bounce back in a big way. I'm not worried and I still think this is a playoff team.

Last night, almost every player sucked, and we still (for a second straight game) managed to outplay the Leafs overall.

1) Price needs to better.
2) Our offense (except Pleks/Bourque/Gallys) need to be better.
3) Bouillon needs to play even less.
4) Our centres need to bring a coach to work specifically on faceoffs. What's Perreault doing?

I was wondering the exact same thing during the game last night....

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:23 AM
coolasprICE

On Hfboards, are we supposed to act like hockey fans or boardroom executives?

We can't even have a ''we need a new captain thread'' without out all the sensitive defenders getting their panties in a knot

I don't get the concept that some of you have. Our team gets smacked around like little girls on national tv in our own back yard in epic fashion and we're all supposed to be sitting on our hands singing kumbaya.

Get real. No passionate fan base in the world of sports act like this.

The way some of guy guys reproach the fan base for ''over reacting'' is quite comical.

Cold Play created the same thread last year and we ended up 3rd last.

I don't get why he feels the need to ''tame'' the fan base from its disgust and passion.

THIS IS A ****ING HOCKEY BOARD

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:24 AM
habtastic

What we need:

to stop sucking at faceoffs

for the DD line to stop sucking balls

PP to work more often than not particularly if the PK isn't working (also stop taking penalties - although the refs in Habs-Leafs games are awwwful, we all know that, more the reason)

That's IT. That is why it was 6-0

This is not the 2012 team (just look at DD and wingers!). It'll be fine once those three get going/if Eller gets the top 2 center job.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Maybe many of the guys posting here were not witnessing the Habs of the 60s and 70s. I did. We had a few smaller players like Ivan and LaFleur, but always surrounded by larger protecting bodies.
Lafleur small?? He was 6feet tall and 185lbs. That's well above average in that era and he was very physically strong....renowned for his huge forearms.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Parity means highly variable fortunes for almost everyone.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Licou

What I am seeing is that we still have a forward group that lacks skills to play down low or against the boards. The only way we can win game is by scoring goals or creating power plays with speed off the rush. The other teams have figured us out. You just need to skate with the habs to beat them.

Aside from Plekanec and Eller of all people, we lack forwards that can play under pressure. (I know Max Pac is good, but he's not a playmaker). All in all, soft or not, our team just isn't skilled enough to play a puck possession game once the opponent starts skating hard. Hell, it seems they don't even draw penalties since the execution and quick passes just vanish once they find their match in speed!

Oh... and Markov is already tired, that doesn't help... at all...

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:45 AM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
At least we did not trade a number one goalie, a number one C and a number one d to a division rival

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:08 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Pretty sure there wouldn't have been any goonery had the Habs played better. All I saw was turnovers in the neutral zone, weak defence, poor ofefence, lazy players, etc. The team wasn't prepared to play a decent Maple Leafs team and they got spanked.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:09 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
On Hfboards, are we supposed to act like hockey fans or boardroom executives?

We can't even have a ''we need a new captain thread'' without out all the sensitive defenders getting their panties in a knot

I don't get the concept that some of you have. Our team gets smacked around like little girls on national tv in our own back yard in epic fashion and we're all supposed to be sitting on our hands singing kumbaya.

Get real. No passionate fan base in the world of sports act like this.

The way some of guy guys reproach the fan base for ''over reacting'' is quite comical.

Cold Play created the same thread last year and we ended up 3rd last.

I don't get why he feels the need to ''tame'' the fan base from its disgust and passion.

THIS IS A ****ING HOCKEY BOARD
You make some good points, but a loss to the Leafs like this, brings out the panic in everyone, and needs to be a little less dramatic...we have become alot like the Leaf fans and their board...which is truly sad...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:09 AM
sampollock

deal with it Marc,

get a big centre for the #1 line...the end.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:11 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
deal with it Marc,

Yes!! When Bobby Smith was your last big # 1 centre, then you have issues....

Scary, but true...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Its not even close.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:14 AM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
deal with it Marc,

Gally is on the way, if anything if he can the habs should sign Perry this summer. He is exactly what we need.

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Andy

Such drama queens. It's just a game. Relax.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
The Detroit Red Wings have consistently been one of the smallest teams in the NHL during the last decade and they went several years without having a real "tough guy" on their roster before they added Tootoo this summer. Didn't stop them from reaching the playoffs every year and going to two Stanley Cup finals.

Lasting success comes from choosing a team identity and then building the best possible team for that identity. There is no one-size fits all solution to winning hockey games, you can win by being a quick, skilled team playing puck-possession just as well as you can win by being big, tough and intimidating, the key is that you build the best possible team based on the identity you want to have and the style you want to play. If you want to play a game based on speed and skill, singing a bunch of big, lumbering meatheads from Western Canada will be counter-productive.

It's pretty obvious looking at this board that a lot of the posters here are suffering from Bruins-syndrome, because they have had success by playing a physical, intimidating style of hockey some of you instantly feel that we need to match them and try to beat them using their style instead of improving upon our own. The harsh reality is that both our team and our prospect pool were assembled with an entirely different style of play in mind, trying to emulate the Bruins now would have absolutely disastrous results and rebuilding this entire team from top to bottom to play a more Bruins-like game would take at least half a decade, if not more. That would mean a long drought without a playoff appearance and certainly no Cups.

The material we have on our current roster is best suited for a game based on speed, if we want to get back into the playoffs and even win a cup any time soon that has to be the core of our identity. Deviating from that identity is not going to bring us any success any time soon.
We don't need to be the biggest team but why do we always try to be the smallest?

I'm sick of seeing three smurfs on our roster. We just aren't going to win that way.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Its not even close.
Well the Leafs got a top 10 scorer out of it. We got... Scott Gomez.

I don't know man, it's pretty close.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:35 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
We don't need to be the biggest team but why do we always try to be the smallest?

I'm sick of seeing three smurfs on our roster. We just aren't going to win that way.
Totally agree with everything you just said.
We don't need to be the biggest team in the league, but from the sound of our management's philosophy we won't be seeing much more of the smurf era. Sadly we can't change the team overnight, but at least I feel the team is on the right track to change this lack of size over time.

edit: also wanted to add that people need to understand that both MT and MB stated at the start that this is a season of evaluation. To an extent the season was written off, this does not mean they aren't going to try and win as much as possible. But what it does mean is that many changes won't start to happen until at the very least the off season, by then they have an idea of who's who and what's what.

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:36 AM
firewagon77*

Marc Bergevin said in every interview he is going to rebuild through the draft so he's got to trade Markov,Plekanec,Bourque,Gionta,and cole and that wimp Desharnais,so if these players are not trade by the april 3rd trade deadline then bergevin is a liar,if bergevin does not pick up a heavyweight fighter by tuesday he should be fired,all good teams have heavyweight fighters,last year the kings Kevin westgarth,the devils Janssen and Boulton ,the bruins Lucic and thornton,that's why boston beat vancouver more toughness period..........Jean-Luc Letouneau Leblond,Jay Rosehill,or somebody who can actually play like Cody Beach but you need someone bergevin and if your to stupid to understand that then your just another gauthier.

firewagon77* is offline   Reply With Quote