HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Genious: Sami V hype train. Sing along here!

Old
02-10-2013, 05:20 AM
Corey Perry*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
no coincidence we sucked last night with no puck movers, dumb move unless fowler is close
For one, I'd say Lovejoy counts as a "low grade" puck mover, and Vatanen wasn't even doing much in the last few games, anyways.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:24 AM

Lovejoy was -1 against St. Louis. It's time to bring Vatanen back up

44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:24 AM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenok View Post
vatanen is better than lydman in every aspect. i dont understand vatanen is bad in defense...fast,smart...u dont understand how good he solves a big defenseproblem! hes so smart u dont see the danger! hes so fast yes..an smart. fast skates,fast hands, strong etc
Vatanen is probably very strong for his weight, but he's not very strong compared to the rest of the NHL.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:37 AM
risto kurkinen
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Oh em gee. He played three uneventful games. He showed some promise and he also showed why he's not ready. This is beyond ridiculous. I'm kind of starting to hate him.
While I understand your feelings, please don't start hating the player who is out there, just doing his thing and probably not even knowing what these trolls are writing about him. From what I know, Vatanen is not an arrogant guy - he's hard working and talented and all he wants now is give his best for the team. Probably a good thing he's back to Norfolk, getting to play more and find his true potential. I'm confident he's gonna overcome his weaknesses and will be a good guy for Ducks.

risto kurkinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:43 AM
QnebO

He was good enough for NHL already. Well, at least he now will get lots of minutes in the AHL and can keep developing in that manner..

Lovejoy / Lydman didin't look much better than Vatanen in last game.. Sami's time will come, if not this season then next

QnebO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:09 AM
Fivefootseven

I'd say that part of the problem with Vatanen is that to learn how to play against NHL caliber talent he really should be playing against NHL caliber talent. In Finland he has played three seasons against tough opponents who are skill wise better (or at least at par with) than what he now faces in AHL. So the only thing he can really learn in AHL is how to play in a smaller rink and even that's a bit doubtful as he's used to playing in the narrowest rink in FNL (JYP's home rink has a width of around 92 feet).

In Finland there was a lot of speculation whether he should start his pro career in JYP's affiliate team first but he was thrown into the deep end and he quite quickly learned how to swim with the big fish. If he's not good enough to get regular ice time in NHL I don't know if any amount of ice time in AHL will get him there. Yes, he might get bigger and stronger with some time but that may come at a price as well. Is it a good idea to get one of Europe's best skaters to bulk up and lose his mobility? Then he'd just be average on all tiers of the game. Maybe the best solution for Vatanen would be a trade to a team where they have patience with him and are willing to let him realize his potential. Or maybe Anaheim is the right place for that next season and this ongoing season is just too short to give up short-term performance in order to get long-term benefits.

Fivefootseven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:39 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 50
I don't think he needs to bulk up to the point of losing mobility, but he does need to get stronger. But mostly he needs to think more quickly. Speed and agility only help if you have time to use them.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:51 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Vatanen has look from ok to good in his first games. He has potential but he still has a lot of work to do. Vatanen isn't Fowler or Karlsson even though his playing style has something in common with both of those players. But, Vatanen isn't as talented as those two and probably not ready to make the jump to NHL. There's no need to talk about if he's not good enough for NHL, he has played what 3 games? Not everyone becomes a pro after first try and there's no need to run out of patience with him.

I think that the best thing for his development would be playing big minutes in AHL with Lindholm (once he gets healthy) and getting called up time to time when someone is injured or they want to rest a defenceman. Over the Summer, Vatanen gets more muscle and is ready to compete for a spot in Autumn.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:32 AM
QnebO

Quote:
But mostly he needs to think more quickly.
Are you seriouse? I mean about thinking more quickly? Did you accidentally follow Allen, who has to hold on the puck at least 3 seconds before he even starts to think openin the game.

Vatanen did just great in quick thinking terms. He passed the puck right away, many times one-timed passes, he knew where he's going to pass it even before he got the puck. In the NHL. He could also use more strenght. But quick thinking and skating are already good to NHL.

QnebO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Fasthnator

He was far from perfect but he should already fit easily in the ducks defense.

Fasthnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
I don't think he needs to bulk up to the point of losing mobility, but he does need to get stronger. But mostly he needs to think more quickly. Speed and agility only help if you have time to use them.
What I saw Vatanen was very quick in his decisions...only one who made the Allen-Vatanen pair decisions slow was Allen like QnebO just mentioned.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:22 AM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Not sure where to post this, but thought you would be interested that even cats are fans of the ducks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAmNo...ature=youtu.be

I had a great chuckle with this video, hope you do to.

take care.

02-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Are you seriouse? I mean about thinking more quickly? Did you accidentally follow Allen, who has to hold on the puck at least 3 seconds before he even starts to think openin the game.

Vatanen did just great in quick thinking terms. He passed the puck right away, many times one-timed passes, he knew where he's going to pass it even before he got the puck. In the NHL. He could also use more strenght. But quick thinking and skating are already good to NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
What I saw Vatanen was very quick in his decisions...only one who made the Allen-Vatanen pair decisions slow was Allen like QnebO just mentioned.
I'm talking about while he was defending. He doesn't have the time he thinks he has.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:54 AM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuuq View Post
Not sure where to post this, but thought you would be interested that even cats are fans of the ducks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAmNo...ature=youtu.be

I had a great chuckle with this video, hope you do to.

take care.
LOL at spam filter...
v=gAmNoFO_<f><a><g>

nanuuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:07 PM
VataNIST

Ok this stupid and me offended! Sami go AHL and me no write?? Thanks you!! ****in mad!! I hipea high finnish army invasion Anaheim!!

VataNIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Vatanen is good enough to play in the NHL right now. I think after about 20-30 games, he'd start to really hit his stride and produce.

However, with that said, he's not going to be a huge difference maker for the Ducks just yet and getting top minutes in the AHL certainly isn't a bad idea. I think next season will be his time to shine.

Erik Karlsson didn't make a seamless transition either, it took him about half a season before he really started to make a difference.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivefootseven View Post
I'd say that part of the problem with Vatanen is that to learn how to play against NHL caliber talent he really should be playing against NHL caliber talent. In Finland he has played three seasons against tough opponents who are skill wise better (or at least at par with) than what he now faces in AHL. So the only thing he can really learn in AHL is how to play in a smaller rink and even that's a bit doubtful as he's used to playing in the narrowest rink in FNL (JYP's home rink has a width of around 92 feet).

In Finland there was a lot of speculation whether he should start his pro career in JYP's affiliate team first but he was thrown into the deep end and he quite quickly learned how to swim with the big fish. If he's not good enough to get regular ice time in NHL I don't know if any amount of ice time in AHL will get him there. Yes, he might get bigger and stronger with some time but that may come at a price as well. Is it a good idea to get one of Europe's best skaters to bulk up and lose his mobility? Then he'd just be average on all tiers of the game. Maybe the best solution for Vatanen would be a trade to a team where they have patience with him and are willing to let him realize his potential. Or maybe Anaheim is the right place for that next season and this ongoing season is just too short to give up short-term performance in order to get long-term benefits.
It isn't just about the size of the rink. It's also about learning the North American game.

I'd also point out that the NHL is not a developmental league. Playing in the AHL is proven to help prepare players for the NHL, and it just isn't about being talented enough. Also, we're also talking about a shortened season, where giving a player time to adjust might well mean the season is over by the time they have adjusted. Teams are already hesitant to play rookies who are borderline, and that is in an 82 game season.

Last edited by Sojourn: 02-10-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:07 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Playing in the AHL is proven to help prepare players for the NHL
That is only true for a very few european skaters with elite league experience from europe who play a full season in the AHL.

mattihp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Rici

Quote:
It isn't just about the size of the rink. It's also about learning the North American game.

I'd also point out that the NHL is not a developmental league. Playing in the AHL is proven to help prepare players for the NHL, and it just isn't about being talented enough. Also, we're also talking about a shortened season, where giving a player time to adjust might well mean the season is over by the time they have adjusted. Teams are already hesitant to play rookies who are borderline, and that is in an 82 game season.
Playing in Europe with better players would benefit him more than playing in AHL. But, what can you do? He decided to leave now and I wish this was the best decision.

Rici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rici View Post
Playing in Europe with better players would benefit him more than playing in AHL. But, what can you do? He decided to leave now and I wish this was the best decision.
I doubt that very much, at this point. He had nothing to gain by staying in Europe.

Old
02-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
I doubt that very much, at this point. He had nothing to gain by staying in Europe.
Yeah, I don't understand that line of thought. He was clearly the best defenseman in the Sm-liga. What he needs is to adjust to the NA playing style, he needs to understand that while he's more than game to play physical and lay a few checks, he's not going to succeed defensively with that style. He needs to adapt his game by being smart and quicker than the opposing forwards.

Lidstrom was never physical, he didn't need to be, he learned to play world class defense by being smarter than the opposing forwards, Vatanen needs to do the same thing, not try and prove he can play physical despite his size.

In other words, play to your strengths, don't try and prove you're willing to get beat with your weaknesses.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:09 PM
eenok*

"sbisa / Lydman/ didin't look much better than Vatanen in last game.. Sami's time will come, if not this season then next"...sorry had change lovejoy to sbisa here.alright

why not send one of these to AHL . vatanen ready for NHL. betterin every aspect of TEAM AT HONDA AND AWAY.

i really feel the tragdy for vatanen here.

EENOK/IL, Finland

eenok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Because they would need to pass through waivers... oh yeah, and they are better options than Vatanen at this point. That is kind of important too.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:13 PM
eenok*

oh tragedy,ooo hooo ooo hoo... life reminds me bout a symphony on the radio
first a little bit to fast then a little bit much to slow...ooo hoo ooo ooo

eenok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White