HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Regin: Chest Injury

Old
02-09-2013, 11:09 PM
newerabegins

vCash: 500
just had to get this off my chest: this dude is injury prone

newerabegins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:51 AM
arglebargle

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by delchief View Post
That was not a brutal hit. Look for yourselves....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPUrDZl_P8w
That actually was pretty catastrophic for his shoulder. It doesn't take much at all to dislocate a shoulder and once you do it's often a recurring injury unless you get surgery and then rehab the hell out of it. It's entirely possible that he's had the same chronic shoulder problem for the last 2-3 years.

arglebargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:03 AM
delchief

Quote:
That actually was pretty catastrophic for his shoulder. It doesn't take much at all to dislocate a shoulder and once you do it's often a recurring injury unless you get surgery and then rehab the hell out of it. It's entirely possible that he's had the same chronic shoulder problem for the last 2-3 years.
Exactly. So allow me to paraphrase. Peter Regin is injury prone and particularly susceptible to shoulder issues.

Doesn't mean he isn't a good guy. Doesn't mean he isn't talented. Does mean we should stop relying on him to play an important role at center for our team.

Here's what will happen. He'll probably recover from this weird chest thing. It'll take a game or two but for the sake of continuing his career he will probably try to get back in the lineup as soon as possible. Then he'll injure his shoulder again and be out long term. And I'll have to endure another round of "things will be great when Regin gets back" wishful thinking.

If Regin was a true top-6 center I would be more accomodating. But why are we investing so much mental enery into a bottom-6 guy who can never stay in the lineup and can't throw or take a hit? Are we really lacking in that skill set? I see people crapping all over Smith and Greening and Michalek but Regin scores a couple of points and suddenly he's justified everyone's ridiculous expectations.

This is not bad luck. Anymore than the Lindros family just had bad luck with concussions.

Peter Regin is injury prone. Stop relying on him.

delchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Yep. And Cowen with first the knee, then the hip. That guy is just injury prone. If he wants to stick around, he better start hitting the gym more and doing more leg squats to strengthen those leg muscles. His legs must be made of peanut brittle. He must not be listening to Chris Schwarz, which means he must have a bad attitude. They should trade him.

see what I did there? Pretending I know something about Cowen when I don't? nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:36 AM
enviro61

Quote:
Lundin played terrible. Greening played terrible. Condra wasn't good. Michalek was awful.

This is not a complaint about European players. Alfie and Karlsson are my favorite players. This is a complaint against oft-injured centers who you come to rely on who are constantly out of the lineup because they are made of freaking glass.

I want a tough team. But I don't mean that to be a team full of fighters. Mentally tough. Tough on the puck. Hard to beat. They were none of that today and too many of the same type of player is not a good thing. You can make up your own minds as to what constitutes the same type of player.

Anyway, the game today sucked but it's one game and so be it. There will undoubtedly be lineup changes.

As for Regin, maybe we should move on from this player at some point. Maybe not yet. I agree that he's a good guy and has talent. But he is fragile and not the guy I want with the puck on his stick when the game's on the line. Seriously, when they said he was out of the lineup because of a chest injury I literally rolled my eyes. It's not like he's some rough-and-tumble guy where you could understand these types of injuries.

This is NOT bad luck.
Good god if the Sens moved on from every injury prone player we wouldn't have a team left.

Cowen - Missed 2 complete seasons of the past 4
Spezza- Constant back injuries have hampered his career
Leclaire - we did move on, Yay!
Alfie - early career was marred with injuries
Michalek - how many knee surgeries already?
Latendresse - nuff said
Regin etc etc etc

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:32 AM
delchief

I think what annoys me the most about Regin is that we're constantly juggling around someone who is essentially a bottom-6 NHL forward. The one poster makes a good point about Cowen. Same with Spezza. The difference is that those guys are impact players. Cowen is a top-4 defender and will be top-2 soon. He's huge and hits a ton. I expect some injuries although I'm still worried now that he's had two big ones this early in his career.

Spezza is a guy the entire offense revolves around. Sorry, but I'm willing to give him more latitude. He is not replaceable. Regin is. That's the bottom line.

I think some people here believe Regin is this star waiting to explode who's just been overlooked because he's Danish and because he's had some freak injuries and everything is just not his fault.

Look, he seems like a great team mate. He's got talent. But is it also possible that he's just basically Eric Condra in different form? Good PK'er. Shows flashes of great play with the puck. Has a few really good games. But ultimately he's a totally replaceable player who needs to be in the lineup consistently so that he doesn't get replaced.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:04 AM
take a peek

Quote:
Exactly. So allow me to paraphrase. Peter Regin is injury prone and particularly susceptible to shoulder issues.

Doesn't mean he isn't a good guy. Doesn't mean he isn't talented. Does mean we should stop relying on him to play an important role at center for our team.

Peter Regin is injury prone. Stop relying on him.
He had shoulder problems so just ditch him??? is that what you suggest? Just put him on waivers? send him home? buy him out?......

What the heck do you mean "rely" on him.

You really think that in this year, another rebuilding year, they are not going to play him a bunch and see what they got.

Maybe your point makes sense if after this year and they sign him to a multi year contract after he only plays 20 games due to more injuries.

Until then you make absolutely no sense. None at all. You may as well write a tonne of posts about how you wish the Sens would sign Gary Roberts...or maybe he is too injury prone.

take a peek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:25 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Regin sure is getting a lot of mileage out of three playoff goals three years ago.

IF this is another shoulder injury, he is finished.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Sensatauro

Delchief,

You sir win the "dumbschmuck" of the day award. What's funny though is your ability to really try and "prove" your point about Regin.

Good thing you were not GM of the Penguins when Lemieux was playing. I mean how dare someone rely on an injury prone player!! And not just injury prone to minor degrees like Regin, but massive Injury prone.

But please sir, keep going on here, you are so SMRT. We are all learning a lot today thanks to you.

Sensatauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Quo

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:55 AM
VVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensatauro View Post
Delchief,

You sir win the "dumbschmuck" of the day award. What's funny though is your ability to really try and "prove" your point about Regin.

Good thing you were not GM of the Penguins when Lemieux was playing. I mean how dare someone rely on an injury prone player!! And not just injury prone to minor degrees like Regin, but massive Injury prone.

But please sir, keep going on here, you are so SMRT. We are all learning a lot today thanks to you.
Wow. Way to completely miss his point. This is probably the dumbest post I've seen in ages.

When Regin is as important as Lemieux (hell, even Turris) to the Ottawa Senators, then feel free to come back and prove me wrong, until then...

VVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Sensatauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaksh0w View Post
Wow. Way to completely miss his point. This is probably the dumbest post I've seen in ages.

When Regin is as important as Lemieux (hell, even Turris) to the Ottawa Senators, then feel free to come back and prove me wrong, until then...

You clearly missed my point.

Sensatauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:20 PM
delchief

Quote:
You really think that in this year, another rebuilding year, they are not going to play him a bunch and see what they got.

Maybe your point makes sense if after this year and they sign him to a multi year contract after he only plays 20 games due to more injuries.

Until then you make absolutely no sense. None at all. You may as well write a tonne of posts about how you wish the Sens would sign Gary Roberts...or maybe he is too injury prone.
Guys, what is a "rebuilding year"? Is that just some term you heard a pundit say so you're all parroting it ad nauseum?

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face - there are no "rebuilding years". There may be years where you've got young guys learning the game. I get it. We all get it. But you NEVER throw away seasons because you're "rebuilding". You try to win all the time. Like last year's team did. Does anyone here have the feeling that if the Sens had gotten past the Rangers they might have really surprised some other teams as well? Who knows how far they could have gone? But hey, it's ok to lose a chance at a Cup because it was only year one of their rebuild! They should be happy!!

There are players for whom you allow a little more latitude with respect to injuries. Players you build your team around. Like Jason Spezza. Who is building their team around Peter Regin? But we do put him in an important position - 3rd line center. That's traditionally a checking role. And he plays well for a few games. Then he gets hurt. Rinse and repeat. Gettin' a little tired of that and the over-hype that accompanies this player from some on these boards.

Sentauro - What's your deal, bud? Calling me names? Ok, you don't like my opinion? It's a Peter Regin thread and I posted my opinion of that player. Just ignore me then. You won't hurt my feelings.

And what is with the guys that go right to the "Don Cherry" or "Gary Roberts" comments? I can't criticize an oft-injured European player without becoming some knuckle-dragger? And it's a poor insult anyway. Gary Roberts was a tremendous junior player in Ottawa and a tough-as-nails pro. He was clutch in the playoffs and a tremendous asset to any team that had him on their roster. Yeah, you got me. I'll admit I like that type of player. Because they..... pause for effect........ win championships! Also, Daniel Alfredsson of Gothenburg, Sweden is my favorite player. Close second is Erik Karlsson. There are no geographic borders for hard-ass players who will go through a wall to win. They are who they are regardless of nationality.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

I'm not sure why delchief thinks replacing Regin is like replacing Lemieux.........

"ITS GOING TO BE SO HARD TO GET ANOTHER BOTTOM 6 FORWARD, I DON'T KNOW HOW WE WILL DO IT SO WE SHOULD JUST GET RID OF REGAN AND TRADE OUR NEXT 5 FIRST ROUND PICKS FOR SOME BOTTOM 6 GUY".

Thankfully our management isn't stupid and recognizes that having Regin doesn't mean we can't have another 3rd/4th line player on our roster or in Binghamton.

They're a dime a ****ing dozen. You make it sound like we need Crosby-Malkin-Staal or else our team will suck balls.

Oh and the reason Regin is in that 3rd line role? Spezza got injured (chronic back problem, made of glass, etc...). And isn't the 2nd line often a checking line for many teams? OH YEAH!

Loose Sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:07 PM
We Want the Cup 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorf View Post
So you're implying that had he hit the gym harder, he would have had bigger chest muscles which would have cushioned the blow of the puck?

This is all assuming that he was injured blocking a shot...

This isn't him being injury prone. Your comment is just as stupid as the Sportsnet people using the Lupul injury as examples of increased injuries due to the compressed schedule. People get hit by the puck, and sometimes it breaks or injures something. That's just dumb luck. Has nothing to do with being injury prone.

Injury prone is constantly pulling muscles, or having joint issues, or being more susceptible to concussions. Being hit by a puck is not injury prone. No amount of gym hittery will prevent those types of injuries.

Unless, are you a member of our rival board...brah? Seeing that you assume that hitting the gym prevents all injuries...brah...am I doing that right?
If you actually read my comment, you would have realized that I implied he is a turnover machine, because he is constantly outmuscled by stronger players.

We Want the Cup 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:08 PM
We Want the Cup 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
I'm not sure why delchief thinks replacing Regin is like replacing Lemieux.........

"ITS GOING TO BE SO HARD TO GET ANOTHER BOTTOM 6 FORWARD, I DON'T KNOW HOW WE WILL DO IT SO WE SHOULD JUST GET RID OF REGAN AND TRADE OUR NEXT 5 FIRST ROUND PICKS FOR SOME BOTTOM 6 GUY".

Thankfully our management isn't stupid and recognizes that having Regin doesn't mean we can't have another 3rd/4th line player on our roster or in Binghamton.

They're a dime a ****ing dozen. You make it sound like we need Crosby-Malkin-Staal or else our team will suck balls.

Oh and the reason Regin is in that 3rd line role? Spezza got injured (chronic back problem, made of glass, etc...). And isn't the 2nd line often a checking line for many teams? OH YEAH!
If Spezza is made of glass what does that make Regin.

We Want the Cup 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Liliaceae
Sens ❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Want the Cup 2010 View Post
If Spezza is made of glass what does that make Regin.
Same stuff that Pascal Leclaire's made of..

Liliaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliaceae View Post
Same stuff that Pascal Leclaire's made of..
Peanut Brittle?

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Xspyrit

I have no freaking idea how could some people be so worked out about a player on a 800 000$ contract good for 1 year, and in this case good for 48 freaking games.

Why do we spend so much time debating about the Sens forward that gets the 13th highest time of ice per game...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary

This board is too funny, I have no idea how I will ever quit. Better than any drug

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:41 AM
take a peek

Quote:

Guys, what is a "rebuilding year"? Is that just some term you heard a pundit say so you're all parroting it ad nauseum?

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face - there are no "rebuilding years"..........................

................But we do put him in an important position - 3rd line center. That's traditionally a checking role. And he plays well for a few games. Then he gets hurt. Rinse and repeat. Gettin' a little tired of that and the over-hype that accompanies this player from some on these boards.

And what is with the guys that go right to the "Don Cherry" or "Gary Roberts" comments?
So what do you call it when you ditch a bunch of veteran players for picks and then start filling your team with a lot of different young guys giving them a chance to see how they work out. A re-tool?.... a do-over?..a start againing?

Pretty plain to see that the Sens have adjusted the previous make-up of their team. In doing that they have inserted a lot of new/young/inexperienced talent in different roles and seeing what comes of it. Most people can agree to call it a rebuild when you do what they have done....you can call it whatever you want to call it, but rebuild is a common and known phrase that sums it up pretty good.

I asked before but what the heck do you think they should do with Regin then? Just send him away somewhere? They are trying him out to see if he can produce/develop/maybe even rasie his value to trade him....I guess after a couple injury riddled years you just give him 8 games and if he is no good straight away you throw him out?

And again if he was injured a bunch, did not produce and looked horrible this whole season and they sign him to a 3 year contract and trade away Smith so he can have 3rd line center spot, maybe you have a point until then you are arguing something that makes absolutely no sense.

I only meant sign Roberts because it was equally likely to happen as just ditching Regin, nothing to do with euro vs NA.....maybe they should sign Sundin to fill in at center, is that better, you get my point?

take a peek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

How could anyone defend Regin. There is no defence. I can't believe this guys luck! Ya luck. How much money has this guy earned over his career? Luckiest guy in the world.

He's played 163 games over 5 years, and he hasn't even got 20 goals in his career.

Regin owns life, has the world by the balls. I mean he's made millions watching hockey games. Does this guy have a worry in the world??

**** im jealous.

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:38 AM
delchief

My beef with the "rebuilding year" thing is not the term itself. It's a mindset that seems to say that it's ok to lose or not ice the best roster possible because we're not supposed to win anyway. Like everyone else I definitely understand that we may not be expected to win by people outside the organization. But the team itself should always be looking to catch lightning in a bottle if they can. Nobody expected Ottawa to do anything last year. Nobody expected Carolina to win back in '06. I guess I just don't like the insidiousness of that rebuilding approach. It should be viewed as an attempt to get better not an excuse to do worse. Fortunately I believe the team's management does view it that way primarily because Brian Murray is not Steve Tambellini and he's hungry to win now and later.

Paul MacLean likes Regin. He seems to see something in him that makes him believe there's more talent there under the surface. I think he convinced Murray to re-sign Peter in the off-season and I am ok with all of that. He's the coach and given his time in Detroit I'd say he's a pretty good evaluator of talent.

So fast forward to today. We've played a quarter of a shortened season. We've had two crippling injuries to key players - Cowen and Spezza. So at a time where we're especially short at the center position - a critical position where the team questionably placed Peter Regin because MacLean "hates" him on the wing - the one guy who you shouldn't look to rely on (but sort of have to rely on now) gets hurt AGAIN! And, I'm sorry, but I can't help but question the nature of these injuries. The one last year was, to me, a simple hockey hit that put him out for the season. The one last game has the feel of the same thing. This is not a player who gets down and dirty where you could understand the occasional injury. He plays a pretty soft game, really, and that would be ok if he'd stay in the damn lineup and produce.

So, to summarize, my complaints are not based on Regin's salary or length of contract or skill-set. It's based on the continued expectations we place on this player and the inevitablity of him being out of the lineup.

So yeah, I'm saying we consider making him a healthy scratch (sort of a funny term when used on Regin) and play JOB or Daug or Hoffman or trade for someone else because Regin does not fill any need we haven't already filled and he's made of glass. Move on. It is not bad luck.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:49 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
I have no freaking idea how could some people be so worked out about a player on a 800 000$ contract good for 1 year, and in this case good for 48 freaking games.

Why do we spend so much time debating about the Sens forward that gets the 13th highest time of ice per game...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary

This board is too funny, I have no idea how I will ever quit. Better than any drug
...because there have been thousands of better hockey players that havent even gotten a sniff at the NHL...Then theres Regin. Keep polishing the turd..

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:06 AM
OgieO

There's a very good chance he's injury prone, but this could also be just bad luck. A slapper to the sternum would knock many players out of a game. We can't really say for sure until we know what actually happened and how long he's out.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:09 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Is this thread even salvageable anymore?

Regin's still day-to-day, right?

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote