HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

La 4eme fois, on est mieux de comprendre

Old
02-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
Is Lars Eller a bust? Almost 24 and cant even crack a line up?
Eller has been playing, what are you talking about?

Et le But is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
Eller was our best centerman. He was 9 and 10.

The rest
Not centres:
Cole 0-5
Pacioretty 0-1
Armstrong 1-0
Gionta 0-1
Prust 2-1

Centres:
Plekanec 4-15
Galchenyuk 2-4
Desharnias 5-10

Being completely serious here. Habs should acquire Steckel. He's great on faceoffs. Leafs don't play him and don't need him anymore,

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Milhouse40

Eller needs to be put in Desharnais's spot as fast as possible.

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:07 AM
showtime8

Leafs fan coming in peace.

My question to you is, why did Therrien leave Price in for the whole game? Is he known for doing that quite often?

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:08 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Sad sad game, beaten and beaten up. Honeymoon's over, this team still needs some serious work.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Andy

Therrien got outcoached early and couldn't adjust. Habs got fustrated late in the game and tried to play a game they cant.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post

My question to you is, why did Therrien leave Price in for the whole game? Is he known for doing that quite often?
Probably because Budaj hasn't been very good this season.

So, no one knows why Bourque got a 10 minute misconduct at 19:14 of the 3rd ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:11 AM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post

I think it was a timing issue we didnt get blown out early so he kept Price in and by the 4th goal the team had bigger issues than Price.

Also I'm sure Price knows this loss isn't on him, he was shakey but not at fault.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Sad sad game, beaten and beaten up. Honeymoon's over, this team still needs some serious work.
Can start by getting rid of Armstrong...

I think Bergevin and Therrien have the right "identity" in mind, but we have a bunch of gutless players. ****ing Kadri had the biggest hit last night. Forget losing 6-0, that's the biggest embarassment of the game.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:15 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
If I was slightly unhinged I'd look up your email, go through your posting history find out where you live and anonymously place smurf lawn decorations in provocative positions all season long.

Then I'd post pictures of you sleeping on the main boards under the title "Phil Kessel: win for the leafs?" And get thousands of views.
As bad as the game was, I feel more violated coming in here and having to deal with giddy "visitors" intentionally and unintentionally ******** all over our board. I know the leash is a lot shorter every where else.

Maybe we need to start a "Do we need a heavyweight mod enforcer?" thread.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

As I have said many times, this team is a fixer-upper. Based on last night it's apparent the process is just beginning.

Up to now the lack of strength, power, and in some cases even fighting ability has been explained away as being an unneeded luxury the team didn't need to possess to be successful. Some have made it a "size" issue that can be dismissed by the height and weight chart and the use of "averages" to positively compare te Habs to other teams.

If last night's game didn't get your attention to the issue this team has, then nothing will. It was the needed wake up call from an alarm clock that Gainey and Gauthier conveniently pushed the snooze button on for years.

I have long opined that the centre position was severely undersized and skilled, and that should be the team's top priority (even in the face of the Galchenyuk pick, though this helps) but at this point I think that even I miscalculated how beatable this team was in the alley.

People have rejected the pull-the-plug ideas because it throws babies out with the bathwater, throwing likeable (and loyal) players like DD, Plekanec and Gorges (just examples) into trade discussions when it's not evident that those players are directly part of the problem. I think fans need to rethink this for a longer term strategy.

Automobile metaphors are annoying but I am going to risk it here. The GM of the team needs to engineer a winning design and build/acquire the parts that make it a reality. The GaineyGoats approach was to try to build the best thing possible from the parts he was given and had lying around.

Players like DD Gionta, Plekanecs , Gorges etc. are not to blame. Management is.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Therrien got outcoached early and couldn't adjust. Habs got fustrated late in the game and tried to play a game they cant.
So, once again the coach and the mismatch of players to strategy is to blame?

Not a chance, the team doesn't have the horses to play any game that any reasonably coached opponent will force it to play.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
So, once again the coach and the mismatch of players to strategy is to blame?

Not a chance, the team doesn't have the horses to play any game that any reasonably coached opponent will force it to play.
Quote:
As I have said many times, this team is a fixer-upper. Based on last night it's apparent the process is just beginning.

Up to now the lack of strength, power, and in some cases even fighting ability has been explained away as being an unneeded luxury the team didn't need to possess to be successful. Some have made it a "size" issue that can be dismissed by the height and weight chart and the use of "averages" to positively compare te Habs to other teams.

If last night's game didn't get your attention to the issue this team has, then nothing will. It was the needed wake up call from an alarm clock that Gainey and Gauthier conveniently pushed the snooze button on for years.

I have long opined that the centre position was severely undersized and skilled, and that should be the team's top priority (even in the face of the Galchenyuk pick, though this helps) but at this point I think that even I miscalculated how beatable this team was in the alley.

People have rejected the pull-the-plug ideas because it throws babies out with the bathwater, throwing likeable (and loyal) players like DD, Plekanec and Gorges (just examples) into trade discussions when it's not evident that those players are directly part of the problem. I think fans need to rethink this for a longer term strategy.

Automobile metaphors are annoying but I am going to risk it here. The GM of the team needs to engineer a winning design and build/acquire the parts that make it a reality. The GaineyGoats approach was to try to build the best thing possible from the parts he was given and had lying around.

Players like DD Gionta, Plekanecs , Gorges etc. are not to blame. Management is.
Oh lord. I bet you've been waiting quietly these 11 games to bust out a post like this. Fact is, outside of the Toronto game, the team has looked pretty good, even for me (I didn't think this team would be as good as they've shown so far). Taken as a totality, last night's game is an outlier, too early to tell if it is the rule or the exceptions (same thing goes for the good play prior to the leafs' game).

Old
02-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
As bad as the game was, I feel more violated coming in here and having to deal with giddy "visitors" intentionally and unintentionally ******** all over our board. I know the leash is a lot shorter every where else.

Maybe we need to start a "Do we need a heavyweight mod enforcer?" thread.
Our mods have taken the identity of the team. It starts from the top.

I keed I keed

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Hockeylaw

Leafs fan coming in peace, and surprised by the level of involvement of other Leafs fans in this (and related) thread(s)...

Any Leafs fan gloating over this win needs to remember that this is just one game. Every now and then a team collapses. The Leafs should know, because it happened to them twice against Boston last season, to our lasting embarrassment.

The Habs just weren't clicking last night. I witnessed a lot of good plays that might have led to a goal for the Canadiens if they were calmer with the puck, but it didn't happen. Don't write your team off because of one lousy performance.

Hockeylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Oh lord. I bet you've been waiting quietly these 11 games to bust out a post like this. Fact is, outside of the Toronto game, the team has looked pretty good, even for me (I didn't think this team would be as good as they've shown so far). Taken as a totality, last night's game is an outlier, too early to tell if it is the rule or the exceptions (same thing goes for the good play prior to the leafs' game).
Wake up. Last night was the extreme demonstration of the problem the team has had for oh, a decade.

If you didn't see a problem in the Boston and Buffalo games, where other teams took over the game almost at will, combine it with the long history of 3rd period letdowns when the team wilted when the other team predictably went on it's "push" to tie or win

Edit: as for waiting for 11 games you are ridiculous. You have made it your job to hide in the bushes and ambush anyone who has a critical thought about hockey, with not so much as a sniff of logic or idea, just so you can hide your shallowness in the guise of being a more "balanced" or dedicated fan. Instead of trying to stop people from sharing ideas you should stop reading ideas you can't handle or understand.

Last edited by Agnostic: 02-10-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old
02-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Andy

Quote:
Wake up. Last night was the extreme demonstration of the problem the team has had for oh, a decade.

If you didn't see a problem in the Boston and Buffalo games, where other teams took over the game almost at will, combine it with the long history of 3rd period letdowns when the team wilted when the other team predictably went on it's "push" to tie or win
Boston and Buffalo took over the games at will? The habs were the better team in both games and I don't even need to explain why both opponents were lucky to come out with wins.

I don't think the team is very good on paper, but the Leafs' game is definitely an outlier out of the games the habs have played this season. It sounds more like you wanting to impose the "sky is falling" narrative that you've been trying to impose since you've been here and you've taken this one game as an opportunity to do so. I know it must have been hard waiting 11 games to jump the gun and proclaim the end of the world, but I think you and everyone else need to wait a little longer before we know what kind of team the habs are this year. It may very well be that they end up a crap team, but their play this season has indicated otherwise. Right now, I'm not sold on either aspect, i.e., with those saying we have a playoff team and those saying we are awful.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeylaw View Post
Leafs fan coming in peace, and surprised by the level of involvement of other Leafs fans in this (and related) thread(s)...

Any Leafs fan gloating over this win needs to remember that this is just one game. Every now and then a team collapses. The Leafs should know, because it happened to them twice against Boston last season, to our lasting embarrassment.

The Habs just weren't clicking last night. I witnessed a lot of good plays that might have led to a goal for the Canadiens if they were calmer with the puck, but it didn't happen. Don't write your team off because of one lousy performance.

involvement?>
try obnoxiousness. anyway appreciate your assessment and i agree

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

I'm convinced the Habs will 'pull-the-plug'. I think these games are just an evaluation process of the assets on hand...essentially the exact same team as last season (Gallagher+Galchenyuk+Prust aside). He always talks about building through the draft, witnessed first hand the Hawks rise to the cup after Toews/Kane with Dudley, and praises Timmins draft history (not perfect but impressive as a whole).

I think it's only a question of when he thinks it's time to dump veterans like Gionta/Cole/Kaberle etc and making bold moves like possibly dumping DD and other 'core' for players that fit his idea of a contender.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Habs Junkie

I want to add one more thing I noticed at the Bell Center last night:

Habs chicks are wayyyyy hotter then leafs chicks...And it's not even close

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:52 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Therrien doesn't seem to be adjusting well when his gameplan is broken, third period vs bruins last Wednesday was a good example.

I found it funny many Habs' fans' relief when we let Gomez go and at the same time their excitement about Gallagher coming in. Character remains small players ("with heart"), and seems we'll not change all that much.

Can still win games but when passion arrives and the gloves drop our boys will get rogered by a team like Toronto.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 1911
Habs must've got blitzed friday night at the bars, it's not even about toughness or the usual bs, they couldn't even complete basic passes to transition out of zone it was like it was their first time on the ice in a year.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

I would usually say ''typical post, lose badly and all hell breaks loose'', however I know this has been your opinion for a long time.

That being said, I don't think judging the team after a horrible performance is credible, just like doing it after everything clicked on the ice.

I don't follow trade proposal threads, they are useless, so I don't know the general opinion of the board, but I don't think anybody would have a problem trading Plekanec or DD or Gorges for bigger better players. Easier said than done though. I don't have any interest in trading them for 2nd round draft picks.

But like I said, yesterday wasn't a good indication, everybody played poorly, couldn't make a decent pass, it was just bad. But I'm also pretty sure this team is far from what Bergevin and Therrien have in mind. Bergevin said so when he took over, ''there's a lot of work to be done''. Won't happen in one off season though..

Last edited by Kriss E: 02-10-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:03 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Can start by getting rid of Armstrong...

I think Bergevin and Therrien have the right "identity" in mind, but we have a bunch of gutless players. ****ing Kadri had the biggest hit last night. Forget losing 6-0, that's the biggest embarassment of the game.
I am not impressed by Armstrong, but being patient and hoping for the best.

Was the most painful Habs game to watch since that time the bruins beat us in like five fights, Spacek got pummelled even. Ouch.

I hate fighting in hockey it's insane but as it's part of the sport we need to fight a lot better.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:04 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Therrien doesn't seem to be adjusting well when his gameplan is broken, third period vs bruins last Wednesday was a good example.

I found it funny many Habs' fans' relief when we let Gomez go and at the same time their excitement about Gallagher coming in. Character remains small players ("with heart"), and seems we'll not change all that much.
When a website didgallagherscore.com pops up, then we will know nothing has changed.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote