HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXI: Daydream Belever

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2013, 10:25 AM
GuelphStormer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkp View Post
Not if the yotes were moved to Canada......there is more than one city that could support a NHL team in Canada without being a drain on the league. Just because you have a population of so many millions doesnt mean you can support a NHL team....you're theory would suggest a team belongs in China. India, etc.
oh great. mexico has been suggested for years and now you've gone and raised china and india. i hope gary isnt listening. how can hamilton or portland possibly compete with dongguan and delhi?

Old
02-09-2013, 11:03 AM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

In honour of this ongoing saga, we're having a cupcake party this afternoon here. Well, not really in honour of the Coyotes, more in honour of my wife's birthday, but you know.

For those who are starting to draw the parallels to the Thrashers relo, where are the substantial things (other than the arena construction) in Quebec? Not a troll, a genuine question.

And glad to see new mayor wants CoG to do some semblance of due diligence before leaping any further into the superunknown, black hole sun and all.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:07 AM
JetFan4Ever

IIRC doesn't Bettman ussually do an on-air interview with the CBC during Hockey Day in Canada?

What if anything will be said about the Coyote's? (Likely nothing new but ya never know)

Old
02-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
Funny, those were the same people who *****ed and complained when the prices of seasons were released, and the same people who didn't end up getting seasons because of said pricing.

How do I know this? I know about 20 of the people who were at that impromptu rally.
Yea, I got into a discussion with others about that. There were some (not ALL) who thought the most expensive tickets would be 50-75 dollars and they were FLOORED when the season ticket packages came out (as well as the season ticket commitment for 3 years). There were a few who felt betrayed by the whole thing.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Evil Doctor
89 years later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
Worst poker face ever!

Old
02-09-2013, 01:56 PM
JimAnchower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan4Ever View Post
IIRC doesn't Bettman ussually do an on-air interview with the CBC during Hockey Day in Canada?

What if anything will be said about the Coyote's? (Likely nothing new but ya never know)
Hmm, let me guess.

"We are still committed to Phoenix and hope to have a deal with one of several interested groups soon. We are working with the Glendale city council and those interested groups to come to a mutually beneficial solution and keep the team in Phoenix for years to come. We know there are some hockey fans in cities that do not currently have a NHL team that are looking to get a team. However, we are not at the point yet of looking to re-locate the Coyotes and are not sure when, if ever, that point will come."

Old
02-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Confucius

I thought Bettman stopped coming on HNIC(CBC)sort of like how he stopped talking to McCown.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:56 PM
OKCDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
And glad to see new mayor wants CoG to do some semblance of due diligence before leaping any further into the superunknown, black hole sun and all.
Well played, sir.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Coyotes were embarrassing from 02-09. They've never given the transplants a reason to switch. Ever.
Why would they switch? You make it sound like you have to be a fan of the home team. I applaud fans who don't change their team allegiance.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:08 PM
OKCDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Why would they switch? You make it sound like you have to be a fan of the home team. I applaud fans who don't change their team allegiance.
Too bad those people don't like those towns like they love those teams.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:18 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Yea, I got into a discussion with others about that. There were some (not ALL) who thought the most expensive tickets would be 50-75 dollars and they were FLOORED when the season ticket packages came out (as well as the season ticket commitment for 3 years). There were a few who felt betrayed by the whole thing.
There was plenty of people who felt that way and were FLOORED. Myself? No, I just opened up the wallet and was very happy we were back in the big league.

I was more pissed off that they gave first opportunity to moose season ticket holders over others. Why? Because a season ticket for the moose cheap seats were around $250/seat. I went to about a dozen moose games each year they were here and paid $50/seat in the lounge with my then gf (now wife). I paid well over $600 towards the team each year and was looked over to someone who bought cheap seasons.

Ahh well I still ended up getting my 4 P4 seats the Saturday they were released to the general public.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:30 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCDevil View Post
we live in a more mobile society. So people wind up moving away from where their teams are. Are they expected to turn in their jerseys at the border when they move.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:33 PM
OKCDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
we live in a more mobile society. So people wind up moving away from where their teams are. Are they expected to turn in their jerseys at the border when they move.
Fully realize that. Sarcasm doesn't work well on the innerwebs.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCDevil View Post
Sport generally plays a small part in one's life, unless you make a living that is connected to it in some way. I am amazed by the number of people who would just crumble and die if they lost their team.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:00 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 1375
No apologies, but I was one who bought a Moose mini-pack for 10 games in advance of a hopeful NHL franchise that last season. Had nothing to go on but intuition....and all the message board rumours on JetsOwner. Worked out great for $100 a season.

I wasn't surprised by the ST prices; pay whatever is necessary. There is always KD to feed me!!

Quote:
There was plenty of people who felt that way and were FLOORED. Myself? No, I just opened up the wallet and was very happy we were back in the big league.

I was more pissed off that they gave first opportunity to moose season ticket holders over others. Why? Because a season ticket for the moose cheap seats were around $250/seat. I went to about a dozen moose games each year they were here and paid $50/seat in the lounge with my then gf (now wife). I paid well over $600 towards the team each year and was looked over to someone who bought cheap seasons.

Ahh well I still ended up getting my 4 P4 seats the Saturday they were released to the general public.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Tinalera

Quote:

Yea, there was going to be a huge demand and they were priced accordingly, so I wasn't shocked really. I can't comment on the whole moose season ticket part of it. The main thing you got the tickets you wanted

NHL tickets in Canada will always go for a premium, because the demand is there and the NHL knows this.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:28 PM
aqib

Quote:
Sport generally plays a small part in one's life, unless you make a living that is connected to it in some way. I am amazed by the number of people who would just crumble and die if they lost their team.
I think a lot of people are really bonded to their teams. Either from watching games with their dad growing up, or memories of playing the sport, or its the activity that bonds a group of people. I get it.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:49 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
I think a lot of people are really bonded to their teams. Either from watching games with their dad growing up, or memories of playing the sport, or its the activity that bonds a group of people. I get it.
Yeah, you grow up with teams, you invest untold money and time in them. You develop an emotional bond with them. When your team ceases to exist, or moves to another city, it just leaves you with a feeling of emptiness. In soccer teams get relegated to a lower division, or even if they become insolvent, they might get relegated to like the 7th division. But you can still follow them every week. I fully understand the feeling of despondency that comes with losing your team.

Old
02-10-2013, 03:09 AM
Oiled up*

C'mon... Let's put this debacle to rest, I hope the Coyotes stay where they are. As a victim of almost having the Oilers move I would never wish that on anybody.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:29 AM
PSGJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
C'mon... Let's put this debacle to rest, I hope the Coyotes stay where they are. As a victim of almost having the Oilers move I would never wish that on anybody.
I think a lot of people who post here would hope they stay if they could do so without being a heavy burden on the city of Glendale's finances. Sadly that seems impossible.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:54 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSGJ View Post
I think a lot of people who post here would hope they stay if they could do so without being a heavy burden on the city of Glendale's finances. Sadly that seems impossible.
I think a lot of other people who post here hope they leave because the market has been completely unable to support the team and there are other much more viable markets, with willing and supportive fans, just waiting.

If we acknowledge the warm fuzzy feelings of the few fans in phoenix, we also must acknowledge the feelings of the many fans in quebec city, hamilton, seattle, portland ... tit for tat and all that, eh.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:24 AM
JimAnchower

Quote:
Personally, I kind of hope this thing keeps going. It has provided me almost four years of entertainment. It has highlighted the gross incompetence of the leadership of the NHL. I have seen an endless parade of clowns, shysters, and fools trying to be the next owner of the team, one that would easily beat any reality show. You have a city desperate to keep the team and offering hundreds of millions of dollars to keep the team, and still they are unable to find the right number. Maybe I just have a perverse sense of humor, but I find the absurd hilarious. And this whole episode has certainly been absurd.

Last edited by JimAnchower: 02-10-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old
02-10-2013, 09:31 AM
XX
SOS

Quote:
With new-home building up 71 percent in 2012 over 2011 and the number of available lots dwindling, homebuilders sealed nearly 100 land deals in December alone that will create thousands of homesites. Based on those deals, as well as hundreds of others between builders and landowners in 2012, it’s clear homebuilders are now buying more land in more moderately priced areas in the northwest and southwest Valley as prices continue to rise in the southeast Valley.

The land rush is further evidence that metro Phoenix’s homebuilding industry is recovering from its devastating six-year slump. The area is leading the U.S. for home-price increases, according to S&P Case Shiller. The number of empty lots ready for construction has shrunk to its lowest level in more than a decade, with only enough lots in hand to last builders a year. The shortage, particularly in the southeast Valley, has sent land prices soaring.

In Arizona, the housing recovery is especially important to the broader economy. For decades, the homebuilding industry has been one of the state’s biggest economic engines, with at least one out of every three dollars generated statewide tied to housing, according to Arizona Republic research.

“When I look at what’s going on in the Phoenix-area housing market, I am bullish. Employment and population growth are up. Buyers are purchasing new homes, and builders are making a mad dash to buy more lots to keep up with demand,” said Charley Freericks, president of Scottsdale-based developer DMB. “We have gone over the numbers carefully and see 17,000 new homes going up this year.”

Housing malaise is over, and moving in the right direction. The West valley isn't very dense and has plenty of room to grow.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/re...nclick_check=1

Old
02-10-2013, 10:02 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSGJ View Post
People don't give a crap about the city's finances, let's be realistic.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:55 AM
aqib

Quote:
I'm an Oilers fan too. I went through that just a year after my Cleveland Browns moved. Here is the difference, the move of the Browns and potential move of the Oilers were driven exclusively by owners incompetence. Yes Phoenix has had incompetent owners too but the Browns and Oilers were in markets where their respective sport is a religion.

Closed Thread