HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Can Cheechoo get back to form with the Oilers

Old
02-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Arpeggio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHAWKING View Post
lol, what? Are you sure you just don't hate the guy? His AHL stats seem to deem that he's got no problem scoring. We've got prospects in the AHL that don't put up the numbers he does, so i guess they're worse at scoring? I think the #1 thing people here are forgetting is, THE OILERS DON'T OWN CHEECHOO's RIGHTS. So this is all pointless talk due to a gigantic misunderstanding. The Barons signed him to an AHL contract which the Oilers had nothing to do with. Not all the players on the Barons are affiliated with the Oilers.
I think the idea is that since he's playing on the Barons, the Oilers should have the best read on whether he can play in the NHL, and therefore would be the most likely team to sign him to an NHL contract.

At this point, if he keeps it up, I wouldn't be opposed to signing both him and Clarke. The Oilers could use some veterans.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Krigaren*

The question is rather, Can ANY player find their form in the oilers jersey?
So far it doesnt look like it, what oilers need is established players that can give vet pressence and bring it from day 1.

No halfassed recycle projects will fix that.

Krigaren* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:01 PM
jalbert

Another 2 goals and assist for the cheechoo train !

jalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:25 PM
backhandsauce

Don't look now but Cheech is tearing the ahl a new one.

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:30 PM
tiger_80

It's a shame injuries drastically affected his career. Hope he pulls of Selanne and makes it back to the NHL next season.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:41 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The Oilers might have to give him a chance if this goal drought continues beyond tomorrow.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:33 PM
Rin

I read on twitter a few days ago that he lost about 10 pounds and that has helped with his speed. Worth watching him a little closer in OKC.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:44 AM
oilersrule14

This guy is rolling, he's doing what Eberle and Hall did down there. I am definitely on board with offering this guy a contract. The chance of him being half the player he used to be alone makes it worth it. The people that are saying that this guy will never be an NHL player again are out to lunch.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:48 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

He cannot possibly be any slower than Smyth or Whitney and if he is big pass.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:23 AM
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Don't look now but Cheech is tearing the ahl a new one.
I'm not surprised.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:34 AM
bzur

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14 View Post
This guy is rolling, he's doing what Eberle and Hall did down there. I am definitely on board with offering this guy a contract. The chance of him being half the player he used to be alone makes it worth it. The people that are saying that this guy will never be an NHL player again are out to lunch.
Watching the replays of last nights game I'd say his speed is just fine. He was absolutely flying on some of those plays. Wow.

bzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:43 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Sign him now before Detroit steals him!

Whats the worst that could happen?

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:54 AM
jalbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post

Agreed, can't be any slower than smyth! Little risk in my opinion.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:55 AM
longtimeoilfan

vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post

Where does one play him? He is a RW, so in Eberle's place? Hemsky? Yakupov is a RW - and the latest #1 pick - and the team is playing him on the LW. How is Cheechoo defensively - to be a 'role' player on the bottom six?

The Oilers are lacking effective team composition (for lack of a better way to say it), will Cheechoo help this?

It might sound odd to say but winning is not all about points, its about team roles and players playing their role (and having players that suit their roles). Its a team game. I would love to see Cheechoo make it back into the NHL, and great if the team is the Oil - but only if it makes sense from the team standpoint.

Points are meaningless if they do not equate to wins. And teams win games, not point streaks. Has Cheechoo a role to play (a role he can effectively play) on the Oil? If so, sign him... if not, I wish him luck on his future endeavors.

longtimeoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimeoilfan View Post
Where does one play him? He is a RW, so in Eberle's place? Hemsky? Yakupov is a RW - and the latest #1 pick - and the team is playing him on the LW. How is Cheechoo defensively - to be a 'role' player on the bottom six?

The Oilers are lacking effective team composition (for lack of a better way to say it), will Cheechoo help this?

It might sound odd to say but winning is not all about points, its about team roles and players playing their role (and having players that suit their roles). Its a team game. I would love to see Cheechoo make it back into the NHL, and great if the team is the Oil - but only if it makes sense from the team standpoint.

Points are meaningless if they do not equate to wins. And teams win games, not point streaks. Has Cheechoo a role to play (a role he can effectively play) on the Oil? If so, sign him... if not, I wish him luck on his future endeavors.
Excellent post, it would be nice if he was a center good at taking draws

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:33 AM
jalbert

With the Oilers injuries piling up, he could possible get the call. Who knows. It would be cool to see the comeback of Cheechoo.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Hoogaar23

Haven't seen him play in forever, but from what I remember he used to hit everything in sight. That alone I would like on the team. Added bonus if he could pop a few in here and there.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:48 AM
oilersrule14

Quote:

If you have a chance at grabbing a quality NHL player (and it's a chance, AHL doesn't always translate to NHL) for peanuts in a salary cap world. You do it, no questions asked.

If he doesn't fit a role on this team, he just walks away at the end of the year. As long as it's not a Barker-esque contract, you won't lose much.

If he does fit a role on the team, you keep him. Our wings are crowded, but let's say if he can provide the same offence that Hemsky can with some added physicality and at a portion of the price. Well, you just opened up a huge trade asset then. You can trade for a role you need because you have depth at another postion. It's the whole basis behind drafting the best player available regardless of position, and it applies to this situation too.

As I've mentioned before, as long as he's still playing physical these days, he does have a unique role for our team. A physical scoring forward, Hartikainen is our best semblance of one these days and the scoring is a bit of an exaggeration for him.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:49 AM
longtimeoilfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalbert View Post
With the Oilers injuries piling up, he could possible get the call. Who knows. It would be cool to see the comeback of Cheechoo.
Only if they sign him to an NHL contract first... as has been mentioned.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
If San Jose can chance it with Gomez.. I don't see why we cant experiment with the Cheechoo Train. The man was a spark plug back when he was a scorer. I bet he'd still at least be an energy player! I think its worth the risk.

Cant hurt at this point when the Oilers just lost 5 in a row and injuries are mounting up. Ease him into the line-up starting on the 4th or 3rd line. Why the hell not!

What's the wort that can happen?

Lose SIX in a row!? ; P

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:05 AM
bewbies

He's not looked slow at all since he got here. He isn't winning any races with Rajala but he's certainly at least average if not better for the AHL. He's also been really physical and pretty strong defensively in addition to scoring constantly.

Also Brett Clark was just dominant last night. So far at least I'd say he's better than Schultz was for us.

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:16 AM
longtimeoilfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
If San Jose can chance it with Gomez.. I don't see why we cant experiment with the Cheechoo Train. The man was a spark plug back when he was a scorer. I bet he'd still at least be an energy player! I think its worth the risk.

Cant hurt at this point when the Oilers just lost 5 in a row and injuries are mounting up. Ease him into the line-up starting on the 4th or 3rd line. Why the hell not!

What's the wort that can happen?

Lose SIX in a row!? ; P
Maybe... but San Jose is a very different team than the Oil. Adding someone to an established and successful roster (like San Jose) is different than adding "x" to a roster struggling to find its legs, and arguably with a lot of holes to fill. And I am not sure if Cheechoo has it in him to be an energy player, for one thing skating has never been his strong suit (imagine an energy line with him and Smyth ).

What the Oil needs are more role players... and I am not saying that Cheechoo isn't one, just that I have my doubts. The team also needs managers and a fan base that appreciates role players for what they are. The fact people still want Omark on the 4th line demonstrates to me just how misguided some people are in terms of what wins hockey games. Some want to suggest that the traditional make up of a hockey team is a thing of the past, I say that time and time again we see teams with very clearly defined lines and role players winning the races - am I saying that a fourth line shouldn't score, not at all. But a fourth line player brought in for factor "x" shouldn't be criticized because he doesn't excel at factor "y". An energy line should be made up of players who excel at being energy players, not just players who aren't quite good enough for the team's top six. And these players need to compliment each other, not be redundant in their strengths.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzur View Post
Watching the replays of last nights game I'd say his speed is just fine. He was absolutely flying on some of those plays. Wow.
His skating is not nearly as big an issue as some on here suggest. He's not fast by any stretch but he could get by at the NHL level.

He is a RW though and the Oilers seem to have too many of those for their own good.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Maybe... but San Jose is a very different team than the Oil. Adding someone to an established and successful roster (like San Jose) is different than adding "x" to a roster struggling to find its legs, and arguably with a lot of holes to fill. And I am not sure if Cheechoo has it in him to be an energy player, for one thing skating has never been his strong suit (imagine an energy line with him and Smyth ).

What the Oil needs are more role players... and I am not saying that Cheechoo isn't one, just that I have my doubts. The team also needs managers and a fan base that appreciates role players for what they are. The fact people still want Omark on the 4th line demonstrates to me just how misguided some people are in terms of what wins hockey games. Some want to suggest that the traditional make up of a hockey team is a thing of the past, I say that time and time again we see teams with very clearly defined lines and role players winning the races - am I saying that a fourth line shouldn't score, not at all. But a fourth line player brought in for factor "x" shouldn't be criticized because he doesn't excel at factor "y". An energy line should be made up of players who excel at being energy players, not just players who aren't quite good enough for the team's top six. And these players need to compliment each other, not be redundant in their strengths.
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. The fact is.. right at this moment, we don't have any role players in the system to add.. other than the ones we currently have. I liked how Eager played in his limited opportunity.. too bad for that injury.. He still played well last night tho. We do have Harti and Petrell.. but is that enough..

That's why I say; give Cheechoo a chance.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:36 AM
longtimeoilfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post
He's not looked slow at all since he got here. He isn't winning any races with Rajala but he's certainly at least average if not better for the AHL. He's also been really physical and pretty strong defensively in addition to scoring constantly.

Also Brett Clark was just dominant last night. So far at least I'd say he's better than Schultz was for us.
Sorry, I missed seeing this. And I like hearing this; if he could carry this over to the NHL than he certainly would fill a need on the Oil's top 6. Can he also play LW?

Cheechoo Nugent-Hopkins Eberle
Hall O'Reilly Yakupov

(I want to see - even for one game - Hall and Yakupov together; I think they would probably give the opposing team fits... and both are better defensively than many give them credit for... and O'Reilly would really help with that.)