HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

EOJHL Regular Season Underway

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2013, 08:34 PM
  #501
upinarms
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by hawxfan

From what I am told every player in the cj is paying next year. The rates are from 3500 to 4500 depending on age. That will rattle a few parents whose sons are third/forth line players and not getting a lot of ice. This money is going towards the 3 trips taken a year by each team to Wellington, Kingston, Trenton. The cj teams will travel on Friday mornings, play that night, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon before heading back here. If I had to guess this will certainly have an effect on jr. B as players and or their parents will have to decide whether the money should be spent on hockey or university. Thats a fair chunk of change to pay and I'm not sure how many parents are willing to fork that much out.

If JR B is thinking of going to a "Super League", this might be a good time to do it. Alot of kids won't want to pay that kind of money to play JR A.

upinarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:39 PM
  #502
longballer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourgame View Post
Rumours I am hearing, would be a 12-14 league, eliminating 8-10 teams. Teams mentioned as not on the league wish list, Gatineau, Shawville, Gananoque (because they are not in the ODHA), South Grenville, Brockville, Morrisburg, Akwesasne.
That would still leave 15 teams, so who else is not getting an invite to this 'super league'?
i dont think Alexandria or Charlan would be included either as it seems like all the perimeter teams are being eliminated here.. it would mainly be a league consisting of Ottawa teams and the ones with the most money close enough

longballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:38 AM
  #503
hurricane11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
Super League not going to happen its a dumb idea anyways. Rideau- Stl is united and against the idea all 11 teams have already met about it and turned it down. Ron McCrusty has these big ideas of turning this league into a CCHL type league would never work players play Junior B for a variety of reasons some aren't good enough for the next level and others don't have the time to commit which makes the idea of a superleague unlikely to ever happen.

hurricane11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:06 AM
  #504
grace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by upinarms View Post
Originally Posted by hawxfan

From what I am told every player in the cj is paying next year. The rates are from 3500 to 4500 depending on age. That will rattle a few parents whose sons are third/forth line players and not getting a lot of ice. This money is going towards the 3 trips taken a year by each team to Wellington, Kingston, Trenton. The cj teams will travel on Friday mornings, play that night, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon before heading back here. If I had to guess this will certainly have an effect on jr. B as players and or their parents will have to decide whether the money should be spent on hockey or university. Thats a fair chunk of change to pay and I'm not sure how many parents are willing to fork that much out.

If JR B is thinking of going to a "Super League", this might be a good time to do it. Alot of kids won't want to pay that kind of money to play JR A.
Parents will always pay for there kids to PLAY look at the Stittsville Royals the players pay 3000 to 750 for JRB and at one time OTTAWA WEST was 750 a cross the board .

grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:28 AM
  #505
KL14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 388
vCash: 500
Cost to play hockey

Renfrew is $700 to play this year while Arnprior averages about $1200. I would think it would be pretty tough for the owners to break even. At $3,000 plus in Stittsville, I am sure it is the highest in the league. Makes one wonder with the CJ going to $ 4500 per player as to whether or not this is the true indication of the cost to play Junior A hockey. IF this is true the cost then JRB would be less for sure by how much less? I heard the budget for a CJ team is around $ 170,000, anyone have any insight to the cost of running a JrB team ?

KL14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:08 AM
  #506
hurricane11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace View Post
Parents will always pay for there kids to PLAY look at the Stittsville Royals the players pay 3000 to 750 for JRB and at one time OTTAWA WEST was 750 a cross the board .
How are the Royals allowed to do that. I dont think the players should play for free or anything but $3000 to play Junior B is extremely high.

hurricane11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:45 AM
  #507
Ottawa Guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane11 View Post
How are the Royals allowed to do that. I dont think the players should play for free or anything but $3000 to play Junior B is extremely high.
Supply and demand....mostly younger first year players that pay extra

Ottawa Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:58 AM
  #508
2pp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Pay to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane11 View Post
How are the Royals allowed to do that. I dont think the players should play for free or anything but $3000 to play Junior B is extremely high.
As Grace mentioned earlier, parents will always pay $ for their kids to play hockey. Stittsville's budget is higher because they have buses to most road games.

On the PRO side of things....If your a parent, paying out between $7000-$8000 for AAA including hotels, restaurant and travel costs not even including time away from your job, $3000-$4000 seems like a small price to pay.

On the CON side....Your kid will be on the ice far less then they were in AAA and their development will struggle especially as the season continues deep into the season and they start to receive far less playing time because the CJHL kids are coming down and taking their roster spot. Plus, take into the fact that they only get one practice a week.

Just one parent's opinion.

2pp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:26 PM
  #509
Ottawa Guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pp View Post
As Grace mentioned earlier, parents will always pay $ for their kids to play hockey. Stittsville's budget is higher because they have buses to most road games.

On the PRO side of things....If your a parent, paying out between $7000-$8000 for AAA including hotels, restaurant and travel costs not even including time away from your job, $3000-$4000 seems like a small price to pay.

On the CON side....Your kid will be on the ice far less then they were in AAA and their development will struggle especially as the season continues deep into the season and they start to receive far less playing time because the CJHL kids are coming down and taking their roster spot. Plus, take into the fact that they only get one practice a week.

Just one parent's opinion.
Not all young players sit on the bench so choosing the right situation is important plus do a good self evaluation to determine if your child is truly ready for this league. If you play a regular shift in Junior game a young player will improve more than by playing Midget. As a young player in Junior B you need to supplement for the loss of icetime by attending third party programs and/or go to the ODR a lot plus working out in the gym.

Ottawa Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:43 PM
  #510
longballer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Some teams have released on twitter awards won and all star selections won by players on their teams:

Winchester Hawks- Adam Beveridge 2nd team all star dman and rookie team all star

Mikael Dion named second team all star goalie

Aaron Dickenson named top offensive defenseman for the RSL

Akwesasne Wolves- Oakley Thomas named first team all star

Dom Coyle named second team all star

Dillion Barr named second team all star

Also the coaches of the Wolves got first team all star and the GM received second team

longballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:23 PM
  #511
grace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL14 View Post
Renfrew is $700 to play this year while Arnprior averages about $1200. I would think it would be pretty tough for the owners to break even. At $3,000 plus in Stittsville, I am sure it is the highest in the league. Makes one wonder with the CJ going to $ 4500 per player as to whether or not this is the true indication of the cost to play Junior A hockey. IF this is true the cost then JRB would be less for sure by how much less? I heard the budget for a CJ team is around $ 170,000, anyone have any insight to the cost of running a JrB team ?
The Max to run a JRB team, 50,000.

grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:01 AM
  #512
Rangersfan21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane11 View Post
How are the Royals allowed to do that. I dont think the players should play for free or anything but $3000 to play Junior B is extremely high.
I think the royals got in trouble from the league for doing that. I believe they just pay for a card this year and for track suits etc...

Rangersfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:21 AM
  #513
Roofus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
This super league would be a new league, that would require odha and hockey canada approval. The 4 21 yr olds per team would be gone, unless approved by the odha and hockey Canada.
These so called super teams can't just kick out so called weaker teams from an est pushed Jr league, then can opt out and start there own new league. Jr B has been around for a long time as a opition for talented players and younger players to play in a competitive league. With out having to commit to everyday practice, Jr A head games, but also a good league for younger players to develop for that next step. If some of these Jr B Owners wanna be Jr A owners buy a Jr A club. There are a few Jr A clubs in the CJ that are JR A only by name but as for the on ice product they are a Jr B team .(not that theres anything wrong with that) In short Jr A wants a super league with the OP and CJ combing ,if u stand back and think about it this super league already exsists .... The OHL
Same thing can be said for wanting a Super Jr B league, we already have one in this area .. It's called the CJHL (yes all old school names ). Maybe all 3 Jr hockey leagues , In The area should work together like soccer
Jr A, Jr B and Jr C
Bottom two Jr A teams from 2012 drop down to Jr B for the 2013,the two best Jr B teams from 2012 move up to Jr a for the 2013 season , the bottom two Jr B from 2012 drop down to Jr C for the 2013 season and the best two Jr C teams 2012 move up to play Jr B for the 2013 season
No super leagues required , balance in every league would figure its self out!!
Lastly the EOJHL can't kick teams out as per it constitution but teams can leave the league , to Start there own new league. Good luck with this new elite super Jr B league 8 teams playing a 40 game season, with no 21yr olds and no 16 yr olds (16 yr old cards being phased out , not adding to a outlaw league ) For years the league was the EOJBL but the B was dropped to fool folks that it wasn't a JrB league what's the new super league gong to call itself now EOSuperdupperJHL
Time to swallow some pride and take a stand on y some Jr B teams are so strong as a league
Everyone know why these teams are always strong ...
Players are being paid !!!!!!
If the league wants an even playing field in its league step up as top brass and start FINING the guilty parties
The WHL and OHL have stepped up, for lords sake the empire Jr B league even started cleaning up there league. EOJHL top brass answer to this problem lets star a super league
TIME TO STEP UP EOJHL GOVENORS AND LOOK AFTER OUR LEAGUE !!
My last example of this stupidity, this so called super leagues wants to drop Alexandria Glens from thee super league, its less then five yrs ago that the Glens won this league for back to back seasons
Money bought those championships as well, but no league brass as to seed this.
Oh wait super league would fix this no sanctions or fines required , just try and kick out the poor teams trying to player within the rules !!!!!!


Last edited by Roofus: 02-06-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Roofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:48 AM
  #514
grace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post
I think the royals got in trouble from the league for doing that. I believe they just pay for a card this year and for track suits etc...
talk to the 16 and 17 year olds on the ROYALS they pay big money to play this year.

grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:07 AM
  #515
Jeff077
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Perth, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace View Post
The Max to run a JRB team, 50,000.
I am willing to bet the majority of teams are in the $60-80K range to operate.
Most places would be well over $20K alone just on ice time if they are not getting a discount and that would be before the playoffs even started.
You then have league dues, odha dues, referees to pay, busing expenses, or gas money, equipment, etc
Some teams may run on $50K max but the majority would be higher.

Jeff077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:39 PM
  #516
Hockeyfan6713
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Any news about the playoff schedule? Still not posted on website. Glengarry news reported that they start the week of February 11th. The only team that ive seen who posted something yet are the winchester hawks:http://www.winchesterhawks.com/

Hockeyfan6713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:56 AM
  #517
hurricane11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan6713 View Post
Any news about the playoff schedule? Still not posted on website. Glengarry news reported that they start the week of February 11th. The only team that ive seen who posted something yet are the winchester hawks:http://www.winchesterhawks.com/
In Rideau- STL case only matchup determined is Casselman vs Winchester. Char-Lan and Awkwesasne will meet but home ice still to be decided.

In the Rideau, A Westport win in regulation tomorrow would then set up a matchup with Brockville then Athens and Gan home ice wouldn't be determined till after Sundays games.

hurricane11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:05 AM
  #518
KL14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 388
vCash: 500
Valley is still very tight

Only sure thing in the Valley is that Perth will finish first and have home ice advantage. Renfrew needs one more win or an Almonte loss to assure itself a playoff spot, but Arnprior and Stittsville are still looking over their shoulders. Packers need to win 2 more and have Almonte lose 1 before they are safe and Almonte may just catch Stittsville...only two points back and more momentum than the Royals. I think Stittsville has a tougher schedule down the stretch than Almonte so anything can happen.

KL14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:38 AM
  #519
Jeff077
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Perth, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 357
vCash: 500
Westport Rideaus filled there last 2 cards over the last week signing former Athens Aeros forward Jeremy Hunt and former Cornwall Colts defenceman Tyler Prieur.

Jeff077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:17 PM
  #520
Rangersfan21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
This super league would be a new league, that would require odha and hockey canada approval. The 4 21 yr olds per team would be gone, unless approved by the odha and hockey Canada.
These so called super teams can't just kick out so called weaker teams from an est pushed Jr league, then can opt out and start there own new league. Jr B has been around for a long time as a opition for talented players and younger players to play in a competitive league. With out having to commit to everyday practice, Jr A head games, but also a good league for younger players to develop for that next step. If some of these Jr B Owners wanna be Jr A owners buy a Jr A club. There are a few Jr A clubs in the CJ that are JR A only by name but as for the on ice product they are a Jr B team .(not that theres anything wrong with that) In short Jr A wants a super league with the OP and CJ combing ,if u stand back and think about it this super league already exsists .... The OHL
Same thing can be said for wanting a Super Jr B league, we already have one in this area .. It's called the CJHL (yes all old school names ). Maybe all 3 Jr hockey leagues , In The area should work together like soccer
Jr A, Jr B and Jr C
Bottom two Jr A teams from 2012 drop down to Jr B for the 2013,the two best Jr B teams from 2012 move up to Jr a for the 2013 season , the bottom two Jr B from 2012 drop down to Jr C for the 2013 season and the best two Jr C teams 2012 move up to play Jr B for the 2013 season
No super leagues required , balance in every league would figure its self out!!
Lastly the EOJHL can't kick teams out as per it constitution but teams can leave the league , to Start there own new league. Good luck with this new elite super Jr B league 8 teams playing a 40 game season, with no 21yr olds and no 16 yr olds (16 yr old cards being phased out , not adding to a outlaw league ) For years the league was the EOJBL but the B was dropped to fool folks that it wasn't a JrB league what's the new super league gong to call itself now EOSuperdupperJHL
Time to swallow some pride and take a stand on y some Jr B teams are so strong as a league
Everyone know why these teams are always strong ...
Players are being paid !!!!!!
If the league wants an even playing field in its league step up as top brass and start FINING the guilty parties
The WHL and OHL have stepped up, for lords sake the empire Jr B league even started cleaning up there league. EOJHL top brass answer to this problem lets star a super league
TIME TO STEP UP EOJHL GOVENORS AND LOOK AFTER OUR LEAGUE !!
My last example of this stupidity, this so called super leagues wants to drop Alexandria Glens from thee super league, its less then five yrs ago that the Glens won this league for back to back seasons
Money bought those championships as well, but no league brass as to seed this.
Oh wait super league would fix this no sanctions or fines required , just try and kick out the poor teams trying to player within the rules !!!!!!
Sorry but none of the jr.b teams can beat even the worst jr.a teams. kemptville, cumberland, gloucester. There is just way too much of difference in speed. Sure the top end guys on jr.b teams are good enough to play but the weaker players on jr b teams would just be too far out of place. Look at some of the top guys in jr.b now who couldnt make it in jr.a

costello,allard,mclaughlin,lacroix,bird,parker

imo collins and allard were the only two who were relevant and produced at the jr.a level.

that is why the 21 yr olds who played jr.a the year before are near the top of the league in scoring in jr.b. Fequet as a defenceman?

Rangersfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:10 PM
  #521
PG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post
Sorry but none of the jr.b teams can beat even the worst jr.a teams. kemptville, cumberland, gloucester. There is just way too much of difference in speed. Sure the top end guys on jr.b teams are good enough to play but the weaker players on jr b teams would just be too far out of place. Look at some of the top guys in jr.b now who couldnt make it in jr.a

costello,allard,mclaughlin,lacroix,bird,parker

imo collins and allard were the only two who were relevant and produced at the jr.a level.

that is why the 21 yr olds who played jr.a the year before are near the top of the league in scoring in jr.b. Fequet as a defenceman?
Fequet plays as much defence as Bieber plays decent music - call him a forward who does not back check

PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:37 PM
  #522
wolfdoc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Ties

Don't know whether this has been posted. On the EOJHL website it indicates that ties are settled by

Ties are broken as follows:
Best Win Percentage, Most Points, Fewest Games Played, Most Number of Wins (including OTW), Highest Points For minus Points Against, Lowest Points Against

So head to head competition is not considered, right?

wolfdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:16 PM
  #523
BadgerKnight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 519
vCash: 500
Cancelled Games

Athens @ Westport, rescheduled to Feb. 9 for 5 pm
Alex @ Winchester, Cancelled
Akwesasne@ Morrisburg, Postponed

See the Schedule section for Feb. on the Rideau/St Lawrence website

BadgerKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:47 AM
  #524
ZiebartPro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane11 View Post
Super League not going to happen its a dumb idea anyways. Rideau- Stl is united and against the idea all 11 teams have already met about it and turned it down. Ron McCrusty has these big ideas of turning this league into a CCHL type league would never work players play Junior B for a variety of reasons some aren't good enough for the next level and others don't have the time to commit which makes the idea of a superleague unlikely to ever happen.
Seems to me this thread is based on nothing but 'rumours'. Firstly, unless you are the one in the trenches and involved in league discussions its probably best to keep your gossip to yourself. Secondly, the EOJHL and Jr B in general have come a long way from the 'beer league' image of the past. That is largely due to the commitment and efforts of people who want to see it grow and thrive as a quality league for developing young players. Everyone has put forth ideas and options of ways to do that not just Mr. McRostie. You have just chosen to attack him based on "gossip".

Like all organizations not everyone agrees on how things should be run and the EOJHL, CCHL GOJHL are no different. Sadly, people (on boards like this) take little bits of information and turn it into gossip and then spread it like crap over a corn field. If you want to do something constructive with these discussions get the facts first and try to be intelligently objective - or in plain english "look at the bigger picture".

There is no reason why any junior league shouldn't continuously work to improve the hockey experience for players and fans. The majority of the JrB teams have evolved from community based, volunteer run organizations to privately owned businesses. That alone can create some issues with basic survival, but the teams know the end result is to maintain a good level of Junior hockey and work together to achieve that. Most people have no idea what's involved in running a team, let alone a league, but they have plenty to say on here. It's a huge challenge year after year to meet the needs of every team.

The bottom line is players who come through the Junior B leagues are heading in all different directions. Some have aspirations of going on to higher levels and some just want to play at a quality level while they finish college/university staying relatively close to home. Whatever their reasons, Jr B teams have a continuous battle with trying to adapt their teams, sustain financial viability and support growth in the league, while still taking into account the needs of all young players and their hockey experience.

I say good on some people in the EOJHL for realizing they need to work toward the long-term future of the league. They don't have time for childish mud slinging on chat boards

ZiebartPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:23 PM
  #525
KL14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 388
vCash: 500
Calm Down

Moonface...calm down, I didn't read any mud slinging going on and often people hear rumors, they ask the question on the Board and others say "heard the same thing" or "I didn't hear that". This Baord has been informative all season with several posters trying to generate various topics for discussions etc. It is great to see that people care enough to have a Board....so relax and let people have an opinion or talk about what they heard or what they think.

KL14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.