HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Is Teemu Selanne a top 10 forward of all time?

View Poll Results: Is Teemu Selanne a Top 10 forward of all time
Yes 54 15.43%
No 296 84.57%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2013, 02:30 AM
  #26
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 50
No way in the top 10, I'd put Selanne in the 20-30 rank for forwards.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:31 AM
  #27
Malkin112
Registered User
 
Malkin112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,207
vCash: 500
sad to say but not close. He is best scandinavian born forward

Malkin112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:45 AM
  #28
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
Espo
Clarke
Lafleur
Gretzky
Lemieux
Trottier
Bossy
Messier
Sakic
Yzerman

That's 10 already, and I've only listed Canadians from the last 40 years. Throw in the Original 6 and European stars and there's probably 20+ forwards better than Selanne.
Exactly. Jagr has a hard enough time entering the conversation, and he has 3 Ted Lindsay and 5 Art Ross trophies to his credit. Sorry Teemu, you're a bit farther down the list than that, let alone 10th.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:08 AM
  #29
steveott
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Exactly. Jagr has a hard enough time entering the conversation, and he has 3 Ted Lindsay and 5 Art Ross trophies to his credit. Sorry Teemu, you're a bit farther down the list than that, let alone 10th.
Jagr hasnt hard time there.

Gretz, Mario, Howe and who else? maybe rocket. you can argue for the rest.

Teemu is between 20 and 30.

steveott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:08 AM
  #30
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 38,081
vCash: 500
He's probably not even a top 10 RW of all time.

Definitely better than Selanne (6): Gordie Howe, Maurice Richard, Jaromir Jagr, Guy Lafleur, Mike Bossy, Bill Cook

Probably better than Selanne (4): Sergei Makarov, Bernie Geoffrion, Andy Bathgate, Charlie Conacher

Debatable (3): Jari Kurri, Boris Mikhailov, Brett Hull

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:09 AM
  #31
JFG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin112 View Post
sad to say but not close. He is best scandinavian born forward
Finland isn't a scandinavian country. And no.

JFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:13 AM
  #32
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oulu
Posts: 8,955
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
He's probably not even a top 10 RW of all time.

Definitely better than Selanne (6): Gordie Howe, Maurice Richard, Jaromir Jagr, Guy Lafleur, Mike Bossy, Bill Cook

Probably better than Selanne (4): Sergei Makarov, Bernie Geoffrion, Andy Bathgate, Charlie Conacher

Debatable (3): Jari Kurri, Boris Mikhailov, Brett Hull
Agreed, altough i think Conacher and Bathgate are more on the debatable group.

He is borderline top-10 RW.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:26 AM
  #33
LSnow
Registered User
 
LSnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFG View Post
Finland isn't a scandinavian country. And no.
Who would be better Fenno-Scandian forward?? Forsberg ? Sedin ? Naslund ? I think he is the best.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:39 AM
  #34
JFG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
Who would be better Fenno-Scandian forward?? Forsberg ? Sedin ? Naslund ? I think he is the best.
Forsberg.

JFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:47 AM
  #35
Malkin112
Registered User
 
Malkin112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFG View Post
Forsberg.
Forsberg may have better peak, its debatable. Selšnne has better career hands down.

Malkin112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:49 AM
  #36
Luigi Lemieux
Registered User
 
Luigi Lemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 13,050
vCash: 500
Great player, but not a chance. He's somewhere around #20-30.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:58 AM
  #37
urho
Registered User
 
urho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by skroonk2002 View Post
Remember, this is a player with a relatively empty individual trophy-case (he led the league in goals two times; no other individual awards or accomplishments). And only 1 Stanley Cup (as opposed to multiple Stanley Cups by other players).
I don't see how any of these arguments work against an individual hockey player. Jagr, Lemieux, Gretzky all played at the same time with the Finnish Flash. They're all considered a top 10 forwards of all time. Same goes with the Stanley Cup wins, Teemu wasted his best years with horrendous Mighty Ducks team.

Edit. And no, I don't think he's in the top 10.

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:05 AM
  #38
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
In the running for top 25. No way for Top 10.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:08 AM
  #39
newerabegins
Registered User
 
newerabegins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,323
vCash: 500
hes close if you look at the all time scoring list he's 5 points short of 15th, and there's 2 d-men in there so he's 13th among forwards. recchi is in there selanne is better than him and better than mikita IMO so that bring him to 11th... if he's not top 10 he's top 15 or at the very least top 20

newerabegins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:48 AM
  #40
Eskimo44
Registered User
 
Eskimo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,399
vCash: 500
No. And it's pretty ridiculous to suggest he's even close.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:49 AM
  #41
Eskimo44
Registered User
 
Eskimo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by praisealfie11 View Post
hes close if you look at the all time scoring list he's 5 points short of 15th, and there's 2 d-men in there so he's 13th among forwards. recchi is in there selanne is better than him and better than mikita IMO so that bring him to 11th... if he's not top 10 he's top 15 or at the very least top 20
I'd love to hear how he's better than Mikita. Also going on scoring lists is pretty unfair, are you suggesting Selanne>Richard? Because that's insane.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:53 AM
  #42
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveott View Post
Jagr hasnt hard time there.

Gretz, Mario, Howe and who else? maybe rocket. you can argue for the rest.

Teemu is between 20 and 30.
That's your opinion, and I tend to agree, but Meteor listed 10 names that I think many people would still rank above Jagr - for a variety of reasons.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:03 AM
  #43
Eskimo44
Registered User
 
Eskimo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Uhm...
Just a terrific and well thought out response. BTW he's right Selanne isn't even a sure bet to be a top 50 forward. People forget about some of these guys but there are players like Sittler, Keon, Cournoyer, Gefferion, Hawerchuck, Bucyk, Kurri, Francis, Bure, Kelly, Shutt, Lafleur, Lach, Morenz, ect... that are very arguably in his range of greatness (or well above). I could list 50 or close to it players that were better or at least arguably better than Selanne. I can't believe how overrated he is if people think he's close to top 10.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:03 AM
  #44
alcanalz
whys and wherefores
 
alcanalz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,691
vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by praisealfie11 View Post
hes close if you look at the all time scoring list he's 5 points short of 15th, and there's 2 d-men in there so he's 13th among forwards. recchi is in there selanne is better than him and better than mikita IMO so that bring him to 11th... if he's not top 10 he's top 15 or at the very least top 20
How about all the people below him he's not better than?

And no, he's not better than Mikita.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:05 AM
  #45
Oan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Also going on scoring lists is pretty unfair,
Yeah, because anyone can just keep on playing and keep on racking up points well into their 40s, points are meaningless since anyone can score goals.

It's all about players prime and how DOMINANT they were, amirite? Points total are completely meaningless

Oan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:07 AM
  #46
MK9
Registered User
 
MK9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Andover, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,329
vCash: 500
Top 50 yeah. Top 10, no and you'd have to be a mental patient to think so. And he was one of my fav players at one time.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:12 AM
  #47
Eskimo44
Registered User
 
Eskimo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
Yeah, because anyone can just keep on playing and keep on racking up points well into their 40s, points are meaningless since anyone can score goals.

It's all about players prime and how DOMINANT they were, amirite? Points total are completely meaningless
Yes because the era a player played in has no impact as to how his scoring totals will look like. Dominance is relative to the era they played in. Selanne isn't even close to being one of the most dominant players of all time. For example only a complete idiot would argue Ron Francis is top 10 or better than Beliveau, by your logic he is though. Selanne is an amazing player who belongs in the Hall of Fame, does that make him a top 10 player? No. Given the vast history of the NHL it doesn't even ensure him a spot in the top 50 forwards of all time, although i think he'd probably crack the top 50. That is no insult, nor is it paramouint to dismissing his terrific resurgance in his latter years.


Last edited by Eskimo44: 02-10-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:12 AM
  #48
RorschachWJK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kuusamo
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Just a terrific and well thought out response. BTW he's right Selanne isn't even a sure bet to be a top 50 forward. People forget about some of these guys but there are players like Sittler, Keon, Cournoyer, Gefferion, Hawerchuck, Bucyk, Kurri, Francis, Bure, Kelly, Shutt, Lafleur, Lach, Morenz, ect... that are very arguably in his range of greatness (or well above). I could list 50 or close to it players that were better or at least arguably better than Selanne. I can't believe how overrated he is if people think he's close to top 10.
I'm not thinking Selšnne is a top 10 forward, but get out of here! Lafleur is the only one on that list that is better and it is not a big difference. This is not only about NHL, also about international play. This is also about career, not only peak or prime. I think Selšnne is definitely in top 20, if not top 15.

RorschachWJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:13 AM
  #49
Oan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Even if Selanne went into Godzilla-mode this season and won both Art Ross and Hart trophy, it still would account for very little in the minds of most posters, it seems, since longevity is just a nice bonus for players. What HFboards really seem to value only is how good players were in their prime. God I begin to hate that word, "prime".

And no, I don't think Selanne is top 10 forward all time, 20-30 at best.

Oan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:17 AM
  #50
RorschachWJK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kuusamo
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Yes because the era a player played in has no impact as to how his scoring totals will look like. Dominance is relative to their era.
Yes...and we are talking about a guy who played through all of the dead puck, defense first era. This means his adjusted stats will look even better when he is done with his career. He also played through an era with very stiff competition at forward, hence not many personal titles. Team achievements on the other hand are team achievements and don't hold that much water.

RorschachWJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.