Notices

Free Rakell

Old
02-09-2013, 01:14 AM
Dirk316

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
The difference is that Koivu and Lydman both bring something valuable to the team. Koivu brings skill, defense, point production, leadership. Lydman brings solid own zone defense, decent puck moving, good penalty killing. Not sure what Staubitz brings of value other than the occasional hit. He also tends to get into fights with heavyweights - and gets his ass kicked. And to top that off he takes more stupid penalties then the average hockey player
He is one of 2 duck players who look to throw hits and closest thing to an enforcer on the roster
That is plenty to bring to the table and I'm sure the actual players will agree he brings something valuable

Link to you whining when kp and winnik took penalties in the 3rd ?

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:19 AM
Dirk316

Its the same thing every year we have certain posters who look any reason to single out tough players
Ask Teemu his feelings on if an enforcer is worthless? Ill take his opinion over someone named duckjet or duckangelb posting from the couch

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:06 AM
mightyquack
Everybody panic

I think he should be sent down soon.

And it's not like 1 week without playing is going to be so detrimental to his development, you'd think the Ducks have had him in the press box for months

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:14 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 50
Rakell should play on the 4th line instead of Staubitz.

JabbaJabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:17 AM
Sean Garrity
Quack Quack Quack!

I posted this in a GDT, but what is better for Rakell AND the Ducks. Is he going to develop any better playing in juniors v getting NHL practices? The Ducks, ATM clearly seem to believe the latter is the answer.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:32 AM
Fallenity

That Stars game is exactly the reason why I don't like playing enforcers... Sure, Staubitz stood up for Perry, albeit Perry had to fight his own fight, but Staubitz also cost us the game. The roughing was a sketchy call, but you can't go spearing people in front of the refs. 5 min majors kill teams in this league, especially teams like the Ducks who right now are succeeding because of their 5on5, not special teams.

Fallenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:54 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
I posted this in a GDT, but what is better for Rakell AND the Ducks. Is he going to develop any better playing in juniors v getting NHL practices? The Ducks, ATM clearly seem to believe the latter is the answer.
Playing in juniors.

I think NHL practices do almost nothing to improve a young kid. NHL practices are mostly on learning systems, special teams, etc. They don't help you with the speed of the game, they don't help you improve skills. In fact I believe they do very little skill work at all.

AHL/juniors practices supposedly do work on skills. And he would have game time to learn the game and get repititions.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:06 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
It's hillarious that people question BB for dressing Staubitz, when everyone seemed quite happy about it only a day ago. He defenitely cost us against Dallas though.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:09 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
That is probably the most pertinent answer you will receive.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Fighter
Olympic Games

vCash: 865
I like Rakell a lot, but I think it's better for his development to go one more year in the juniors. We'll see him next year in Anaheim

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
It's hillarious that people question BB for dressing Staubitz, when everyone seemed quite happy about it only a day ago. He defenitely cost us against Dallas though.
I'm still in favour of dressing him (especially against Blues). Or giving Maroon a shot there...

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Carelton CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I still think Maroon deserves a short look.

If we're going to convert a defensive center to RW, I'd like to try doing it with Wagner. He throws big hits, and has easily been the best defensive player in Norfolk. Kid likes to fight, too. Has offensive upside.

I also like Bodie, Rosehill, or Kurtz if we go goon - say if Staubitz is suspended. Less so with Rosehill, seeing as he was even less of a player than Staubitz was back when he was with the Leafs. I haven't seen P3L play, yet, so I have no idea if he'd be a better option. I'll watch tonight's game.
I know the HF community hates the +/- stat but you cant ignore in this caes. As Exit Dose states, the best defensive player in Norfolk far and away is Wagner. It is ridiculous what he's done as a rookie this year on a team that is at the bottom of the league standings. The kid skates well, kills penalties, throws the body around and can make plays. If he isn't the Ducks next Marchant I don't know who is. Forwards with over 25 games played in Norfolk.

Holland- 37 GP -16
Maroon- 43 GP -4
Palmieri- 37 GP -13
Etem- 40 GP +2
Wagner- 39 GP +12
Bodie-35 GP +5
Mitchell-26 GP -9
Roshehill-30GP 0
McMillan-28GP -4
Pelly-29GP -6

Carelton CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:52 AM
defer

Wow, that is a tremendous discrepancy

defer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Ducksgo*

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Staubitz made a moronic decision to spear the Stars player but his heart was in the right place at least. Before tonight he was fine.

They need to make a decision on Rakell though. It's no good him sitting in the pressbox night after night.
They cashed in two on his moronic spear. If he didn't do that then it would of most likely been a 1-1 game and we possibly could of won. I blame him for the loss.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
They cashed in two on his moronic spear. If he didn't do that then it would of most likely been a 1-1 game and we possibly could of won. I blame him for the loss.
One, actually.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Ducksgo*

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
One, actually.
Oh I thought it was two my mistake I was pretty hammered last night

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Eddie Shack
Go Ducks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
DAL only scored once on the 5 min PP.

We still could have won the game.

None of the above absolves Staubitz from playing like an idiot.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Kalvinators
GDT record: 5-4-0

I`m really starting to hate Murray (is he only one to blame?) for this.

Devo, Lindholm and now Rakell (wont include Fowler - different story) are all rushed imo. That is a bonehead move to fill a hole right now and hurt the future. Nice job Murray.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Exit Dose

Those are typically coach's decisions. I suppose even when we're 8-2-1, haters gonna hate. Fire Murray!!!

I fail to see how either Rakell and Lindholm have been rushed, much less ruined. Lindholm hasn't even played a game for us, and the team is still deliberating whether they should keep Rakell.

Same thing for Devo. Getting sent down isn't the same as busting.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post

Devo, Lindholm and now Rakell (wont include Fowler - different story) are all rushed imo. That is a bonehead move to fill a hole right now and hurt the future. Nice job Murray.
I think that's a huge overreaction. Lindholm isn't even cleared to play, how is he rushed into anyhting? Almost the same thing with Rakell - you don't "rush" kids by simply having them around for a while. You don't stunt their development by having them with the big club for a month. The team is playing very well and it seems there's a very good atmosphere in the locker room - it's a very good look at the highest level to give these kids. In Lindholm's case, it's a no-brainer, really, to have him work on getting back to being healthy at the highest level possible. With Devo, you have a guy that was not out of place last year, and you don't want to send him down too quickly for a stretch of bad play that's all too common for players that age to demoralize him. It happened soon enough. And with Rakell, he's already playing a pro game. He won't tear apart anything in juniors, either, that's just not the way he plays. I don't see him having that much to learn at that level. He obviously won't be kept around while not playing forever.

None of those guys are rushed, at this point.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Kalvinators
GDT record: 5-4-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Those are typically coach's decisions. I suppose even when we're 8-2-1, haters gonna hate. Fire Murray!!!

I fail to see how either Rakell and Lindholm have been rushed, much less ruined. Lindholm hasn't even played a game for us, and the team is still deliberating whether they should keep Rakell.

Same thing for Devo. Getting sent down isn't the same as busting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
I think that's a huge overreaction. Lindholm isn't even cleared to play, how is he rushed into anyhting? Almost the same thing with Rakell - you don't "rush" kids by simply having them around for a while. You don't stunt their development by having them with the big club for a month. The team is playing very well and it seems there's a very good atmosphere in the locker room - it's a very good look at the highest level to give these kids. In Lindholm's case, it's a no-brainer, really, to have him work on getting back to being healthy at the highest level possible. With Devo, you have a guy that was not out of place last year, and you don't want to send him down too quickly for a stretch of bad play that's all too common for players that age to demoralize him. It happened soon enough. And with Rakell, he's already playing a pro game. He won't tear apart anything in juniors, either, that's just not the way he plays. I don't see him having that much to learn at that level. He obviously won't be kept around while not playing forever.

None of those guys are rushed, at this point.
Well, they are in my opinion

I`m not saying about Lindholm staying with us in Anaheim but taking him over to NA. He should stay another year in Sweden, where SEL are less physical. He could build up a little bit while playing in a very good league with less risk of being injured.

Rakell - he`s played only 4 games n almost one and a half months. While being around with a pro team that are having a great atmosphere, that is very bad for a development for a young kid like he is. He needs to play, instead of sitting in press box every night. That short stint was good, but now better send him down so he gets to play 20+ minutes in Plymouth, instead of sitting on the bench. Or, play 8 minutes in an NHL game if he gets lucky.

Devo - our bottom 6 was pretty bad last season and he got a spot there. While he throws some hits he does it very soft, with not so much physicality. I`d rather see him playing 20 + minutes a night than 8 minutes.

Looks like we just have different opinions of what is best for player development.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:30 AM
mightyquack
Everybody panic

Quote:

Talk about overreaction.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:43 AM
OCSportsfan

Quote:
Well, they are in my opinion

I`m not saying about Lindholm staying with us in Anaheim but taking him over to NA. He should stay another year in Sweden, where SEL are less physical. He could build up a little bit while playing in a very good league with less risk of being injured.

Rakell - he`s played only 4 games n almost one and a half months. While being around with a pro team that are having a great atmosphere, that is very bad for a development for a young kid like he is. He needs to play, instead of sitting in press box every night. That short stint was good, but now better send him down so he gets to play 20+ minutes in Plymouth, instead of sitting on the bench. Or, play 8 minutes in an NHL game if he gets lucky.

Devo - our bottom 6 was pretty bad last season and he got a spot there. While he throws some hits he does it very soft, with not so much physicality. I`d rather see him playing 20 + minutes a night than 8 minutes.

Looks like we just have different opinions of what is best for player development.

Lindholm - They brought him to NA since he was going to get a look like fowler did. Unfortunately he got a concussion, but he needed to get NA experience, even if it was in the AHL. They have not rushed him at all. Now they are being cautious and rather than have him play, hang out with the big club until he is healthy.

Rakell - He will probably be sent down soon enough. No reason not to give him some good knowledge while you can. He cant go to the AHL so I think they are trying to give him as much experience as they can since he is not going to get the high competition in Juniors. In my opinion they dont think keeping him up for the year will help his development.

Devo - This was a unique situation last year. He could not go to the AHL last year, and since he was physically dominate in juniors, I dont think they were confident in his development if they sent him down. He would have gone to the AHL last year if we could have sent him. Now that we can, you see him there. Again, they made a decision about his development, and I think he needs to prove himself in the AHL

We get excited when these guys are playing in the NHL, but in reality, it is often just part of their development. I would not expect Devo to be a regular in the NHL for 2 years, if he can improve.

OCSportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:53 AM
pesko

Quote:
Boudreau said it is General Manager Bob Murray's call on whether Rakell stays or goes but he shared one theory on why he remains with them.

"I understand that we need the development," Boudreau said. "But sometimes practicing with NHL players could be just as good as playing with junior players. Having to check Corey Perry in practice is a little different."
via OC Register

pesko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
First of all, coming to NA was Lindholm's call, and it made all the sense in the world. Getting used to the small ice and the physical game as soon as possible was a no-brainer. His injuries aren't a result of his body being too fragile. It's not like playing in Sweden could allow him to develop a better resistence to concussions. There's nothing to be done about that, and in every other way, making that move seemed to be the right call in every way.

Quote:
You say that like it's a fact. There's no universal truth to what's better for a player that age. Sure, for the average kid playing big minutes is more important, as he still has offensive and defensive game to develop at that lower level. I think there's reasonable doubt to what Rakell has left to do in juniors. He plays a pro game. He won't get any better defensively playing against kids. He might learn to be more effective offensively when playing against kids, but that isn't really going to make his game better in the long run. Either way, the biggest thing here is that everybody knows this situation isn't a setup expected to last much longer. Having him around for a couple of weeks absolutely isn't going to hurt him. Add to that the very reasonable thing Boudreau said (via pesko). Most of individual development doesn't happen in the 60 minutes of a game, it happens in the many, many hours of practise between those short games.

Quote:
Well, he does get that now that he showed he wasn't cutting it. It's not like we kept him around for an entire season playing "8 minutes", neither this nor last year. This time around, he was with the team in camp and to start the year, and he was given a few fair chances to prove he could stay. In the end he did not, and we reacted accordingly and sent him down. Giving him a fair chance to secure the spot he already had last year for not even ten games really isn't "rushing" him by any stretch of the imagination.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote