Notices

Bruins reflect on Tim Thomas

Old
02-10-2013, 10:28 AM
misterjaggers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
That's actually a really good point. Unfortunately most if not all the Boston sports reporters had a hard on for trashing Thomas after this all got started so I won't hold my breath for that
Like the Globe:

Quote:
Yesterday was not about politics and government until Thomas made it about politics and government. The day, long set on the calendar, was a day when the Boston Bruins were asked to visit Pennsylvania Avenue to celebrate what they did as a team last season. It was their day in the national spotlight, until Thomas didnt show, and then the focal point became, much the way it would be in a hockey game, on the guy who was no longer standing in goal. Shabby. Immature. Unprofessional. Self-centered. Bush league. Need I go on?...Thomas needed to be there in solidarity, and celebration, with his team. It was the same government yesterday, and will be today, that protected his country, his security, his family, and his right to make $5 million a year, all last season.
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...s_shorthanded/

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:38 AM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

I don`t know anything about Sr. Thomas` political opinions, other than that he didn`t go to the White House. I can think of, honestly, a million reasons for such a decision, but I`m not clear on his.

However, all this about `owing` something to the Bruins or his team...I see where that line of thinking comes from, but then again, I could never bash him for the move. I`ve quit too many jobs myself.

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:55 AM
chizzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leviathan View Post
I'm so glad that people here can see through Hagg's and the mainstream sports media's ******** and close-to opinion tabloid perspective on the whole saga. The man believed in something, stood up for it, was demonized and politely asked to stop further questioning because it wasn't owed to the media (it was only owed to ownership and his teammates as far as I'm concerned), yet they kept pushing his buttons and they kept making it a story by creating the perceived and fictionalized distraction themselves!

If you keep publishing articles on it, of course it's going to linger because the same story keeps getting published and the same questions kept getting asked over and over and over again. Now that Claude has come out and said it was never a distraction, the only distraction that could have possibly been there was that the media kept bothering the players to ask the same damn questions and that itself was the distraction to the players. The media was the distraction, not the political stance.

Who knows, perhaps Timmy pissed off Haggs or brushed him off at some point during his coverage on any other odd story, and this was Haggs' way at getting back at him? Either way, Timmy is yet another athlete run out of Boston by the media in this town. I have no doubts in my mind that this whole ordeal played into the man's mind in deciding not to come back, giving the media a big "**** you" by having to cover a team that would be negatively impacted in the cap room department. Who in the right mind would want to come back to play in a situation where you're constantly getting berated by fans and the media alike after asking them politely to stop being bombarded by futile questions on an opinion-based matter outside of the sport you play and job you do?

If his buttons hadn't continued to be constantly pushed and his politely asked request to stop being asked all those dumb questions that no one benefited from, and many fans were frankly tired of hearing, had been followed, then perhaps we would be saying goodbye to Timmy this year on much better terms by celebrating perhaps the greatest goaltender this franchise has ever had. Instead we have this pile of filth.

The victor writes the history books and shapes the perceptions of the masses, and it's blatantly obvious here. If this whole thing had just washed over, there would be no angry callers to the radio stations decrying Thomas to be a selfish ego-driven man who distracts his entire team and we would most certainly not still be having these types of questions posed to his former teammates / coaches / the Bruins front office. There would be no reasoning that "he didn't even want to have a conversation his stance, thus it creates a distraction." Excuse me, but who are you as a sports journalist to ever demand something from a player in an opinion based area that is entirely outside of the world of sports?

While I'm glad this is over, I just wish it could've ended on better terms for both Timmy, the fans of the Bruins, his teammates, and the front office. The media can go suck it and shove it where the sun doesn't shine. Thank you for running a two time Vezina winning, Conn Smythe Winning, Stanley Cup Playoff Record setting and Champion goaltender out his crease.

And for the record, I don't even happen to agree with all of Timmy's stances.
Dude, i couldn't think of a better way to put it. I tried in the Thomas appreciation thread. Sticky this.
I used to like Haggerty until this nonsense kept coming up and being pushed by him. Bush league reporter.

chizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:55 AM
don

THE BRUINS have maybe 3 U.S. born players on the team so I doubt there was much argueing over U.S. politics. I'm just thankful to Tim for what he gave THE BRUINS.

don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

I'm amaze to see the number of fans who are ready to pile on media for the Thomas situation. The last time i checked, it's Thomas and only Thomas who made these comments. Not sure how Dupont, Haggs or any columnist/journalist are responsible for the " damage " who has been done to Thomas. TT has a responsability, as a role model, to keep it clean publicly because of all the implications involve. He didn't and suffer the consequences of it.

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:42 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
I'm amaze to see the number of fans who are ready to pile on media for the Thomas situation. The last time i checked, it's Thomas and only Thomas who made these comments. Not sure how Dupont, Haggs or any columnist/journalist are responsible for the " damage " who has been done to Thomas. TT has a responsability, as a role model, to keep it clean publicly because of all the implications involve. He didn't and suffer the consequences of it.
It's that they completely ignored his only public comment on why/what he was doing. Instead they ran with what they figured would sell the most papers or get the most eyes on their little tweets. He doesn't owe it to them or to us to run down every journalists ******** take on who he is as a person off the ice.

JMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:49 AM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Pople pile on the media because they refused to accept the story as the non-story that it quickly became; repeatedly asking the same questions and expecting different answers was nonsensical and, to be totally frank, a turn-off for me as a reader. Long after most people were ready to get passed the "incident" there were the same writers banging that same drum.

And IRT the bolded: Thomas also has a responsibility as a role model to stand by his convictions regardless if they're popular or not.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
It's that they completely ignored his only public comment on why/what he was doing. Instead they ran with what they figured would sell the most papers or get the most eyes on their little tweets.
You can crticize the choices these newspaper made for sure but... I think that any person who's involve with the media and the stuff who comes with it should be extra careful when they make public statements. I also think that the whole thing is magnified by the fact that Thomas was considered as a role model by many people. Like or not, the role model tag come with a lot of responsibalities which include an obligation to choose your words or, at least, restrain your self to make controversial comments on a sensible issue like the gay marriage. I fully agree that Thomas is entitled to his opinion. I simply think that he choose the wrong platform to voice these opinions.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by the overrated View Post
Pople pile on the media because they refused to accept the story as the non-story that it quickly became; repeatedly asking the same questions and expecting different answers was nonsensical and, to be totally frank, a turn-off for me as a reader. Long after most people were ready to get passed the "incident" there were the same writers banging that same drum.

And IRT the bolded: Thomas also has a responsibility as a role model to stand by his convictions regardless if they're popular or not.
You can stand by your convictions privately, no?

Old
02-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Spooner st

Quote:
Wow...Talk about bringing hypocrisy to a whole new level. You are a master.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Bone for your jar

Quote:
I agree with you that TT, in making his views public, is fair game for media questioning, and should expect it. Nonetheless, the problem remains that when Red Sox GM Theo Epstein declined the White House invitation during Bush's tenure, there was nary a peep out of the Boston Globe and very little made of it by any media outlet. While Epstein was not a player, he had become one of the central figures in Boston's sports, a household name, and a local boy to boot. Epstein received barely a hundredth of the criticism Thomas did for not going to the WH. When you see such a disparity in coverage, even if it doesn't involve the same journalists (baseball writers vs hockey writers) the perception of bias is justified, IMO.

I say all this, btw, as an unabashed lefty who probably disagrees with most of TT's political ideas and world view.

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:03 PM
JMiller

Quote:
No..

Old
02-10-2013, 12:05 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone for your jar View Post
I agree with you that TT, in making his views public, is fair game for media questioning, and should expect it. Nonetheless, the problem remains that when Red Sox GM Theo Epstein declined the White House invitation during Bush's tenure, there was nary a peep out of the Boston Globe and very little made of it by any media outlet. While Epstein was not a player, he had become one of the central figures in Boston's sports, a household name, and a local boy to boot. Epstein received barely a hundredth of the criticism Thomas did for not going to the WH. When you see such a disparity in coverage, even if it doesn't involve the same journalists (baseball writers vs hockey writers) the perception of bias is justified, IMO.

I say all this, btw, as an unabashed lefty who probably disagrees with most of TT's political ideas and world view.
Hell, where were the questions to all those turds that skipped out on Pesky's funeral? Now THAT was offensive!

Last edited by JMiller: 02-10-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old
02-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
No..
I guess we're made from a different mold but i respect that, a TON. Agree to disagree.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:11 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Yes, you can. But you shouldn't be limited to just doing that.

I don't care if it's Ference (and his beliefs in "going green"), Brian Burke (and his support for the You Can Play campaign) or Tim Thomas (and all that he believes in) ... people should be able to have their beliefs and not keep them hidden away in privacy.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:12 PM
deliciouspie
the best post

Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
Quote:
Yes, you can. But you shouldn't be limited to just doing that.

I don't care if it's Ference (and his beliefs in "going green"), Brian Burke (and his support for the You Can Play campaign) or Tim Thomas (and all that he believes in) ... people should be able to have their beliefs and not keep them hidden away in privacy.
one of these things is not like the others, one of these things is A Dumb Viewpoint

deliciouspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

vCash: 2038
Quote:
You can crticize the choices these newspaper made for sure but... I think that any person who's involve with the media and the stuff who comes with it should be extra careful when they make public statements. I also think that the whole thing is magnified by the fact that Thomas was considered as a role model by many people. Like or not, the role model tag come with a lot of responsibalities which include an obligation to choose your words or, at least, restrain your self to make controversial comments on a sensible issue like the gay marriage. I fully agree that Thomas is entitled to his opinion. I simply think that he choose the wrong platform to voice these opinions.
You know something....for the most part, my beliefs fall to the polar opposite of where TT lies....but I cannot in any way say that his comments were inappropriate in any way. He expressed them reasonably well in an educated, thought-out manner, regardless if anyone agrees with him or not. I thought he "chose" his words just fine, even if it was the actual "words" I disagreed with. You say he's entitled to his opinion but he has to formulate differently how his opinion sounds? That's not one's own "opinion," in that case.

I HATE mixing my politics and sports which is why I just don't comment on TT anymore...but to say that he should restrain himself from speaking his views just because he's a public figure isn't what we're all about in the US. It just isn't. That's not a political thing or an ideological thing.

Son of Marshmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
This seems like a weird thing to say about someone.. and I know it's from the context of what's being asked but half the people in this country share the views that Thomas has so.. it seems weird to reply like that as if he's in some sort of minority.

It's just odd "You know what? We're OK with it." You're okay with what? Someone having a different opinion? Again.. just rubs me the wrong way /shrug

But then again I have the exact same opinion that Thomas has on the state of things so obviously I would be rubbed the wrong way, haha
I don't care about TT's political views at all despite the fact that I share SOME of them. However, let's not distort reality here.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:23 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliciouspie View Post
one of these things is not like the others, one of these things is A Dumb Viewpoint
Wow.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:23 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
I don't think it's your place to tell someone else that their belief is "dumb".

Old
02-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

vCash: 2038
Quote:
I predict self-destruction of this thread in 3...2...1....

Son of Marshmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:26 PM
deliciouspie
the best post

Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
Quote:
when placed in contrast with such controversial ideas as "don't destroy the environment, that's not cool" and "gay people are okay to play sports" you'll forgive me if i don't think that an ethos that in many ways boils down to "minorities scare me" isn't worth treating in the same way

deliciouspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:27 PM
JMiller

Quote:
No kidding! Ference is just misguided.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:27 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
I don't care about TT's political views at all despite the fact that I share SOME of them. However, let's not distort reality here.
Roughly half the Country, as it usually is, disagree with who's running the Country. If you want to split hairs in terms of just how many of those are passionate about about their disagreement then fine. Whatever.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:29 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
when placed in contrast with such controversial ideas as "don't destroy the environment, that's not cool" and "gay people are okay to play sports" you'll forgive me if i don't think that an ethos that in many ways boils down to "minorities scare me" isn't worth treating in the same way
I intentionally picked those beliefs, though, to prove a point. If we're going to allow & even encourage people to publicly support certain beliefs & ideologies, we kind of have to allow & even encourage the opposite, too. The ones that aren't as positive or popular.