Old
02-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Sportsfan1

vCash: 500
Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Heatley-Granlund-Setoguchi
Cullen-Brodziak-Clutterbuck
Bouchard-Konopka-Mitchell

I'd be willing to try that, although I don't think Heatley and Seto necessarily work well together and I want Clutterbuck off Brodziak's line but we'll see.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:48 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Parise-Koivu-Coyle

I'd be willing to try that, although I don't think Heatley and Seto necessarily work well together and I want Clutterbuck off Brodziak's line but we'll see.
I want BRODZIAK off Brodziak's line! He seriously needs to take a seat!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:27 AM
10dynasty38*

Parise Granlund Coyle
PMB Koivu Zucker
Mitchell Larsson Clutterbuck
?r Konopka Rupp

Brodin Suter
Gilbert Spurgeon
Scandella Stoner

Trade Heatley Brodziak Seto and replace Spurgeon with and NHL calibre D and a pick. And trade Cullen to a contender at the deadline.

10dynasty38* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:57 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Parise-Koivu-Coyle

not sure about putting 3 struggling guys together on the 2nd, i'd rather try Heatley-Mikko-Granlund, but at least this makes some sense on paper.

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Kopernicus

At the start of the season I would've put Granlund on the third line as a right winger, to learn and play in the PP and I still think that would be the way to get the most out of him this season. Why Yeo doesn't even try him at the wing in the 2nd/3rd line is beyond me.

As far as line combinations go, the biggest problem Wild has is the lack of a viable 2C.

Parise - Koivu - Heatley
PMB - Cullen - Seto/Coyle
Clutter - Brodziak/Mitchell - Granlund/Seto/Coyle
Rupp - Konopka - Mitchell/Brodziak

But seriously, it doesn't matter how the lines are if they don't step up their game.

Kopernicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
not sure about putting 3 struggling guys together on the 2nd, i'd rather try Heatley-Mikko-Granlund, but at least this makes some sense on paper.
This. Not sure how putting three underachievers together is going to help, especially when it's clear Granlund shouldn't be playing center at this stage. Seto's really trying though. I think potting just one single goal could do miracles to his overall game. Now he's got a gorilla on his shoulders.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Everybody is underachieving except for Parise and Koivu. You're going to have underachievers playing together. We can't just get six new forwards on the roster.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:38 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

I'm slightly worried because I can't see any consistency.. I mean the way they are trying to solve a puzzle. Piece by piece, what works what doesn't, no? I sense panic and desperation.. Let's try this and let's try that. Granlund back to center add Heater and Seto with him, Bouchard in the 4th line etc..

I don't know.. maybe this puzzle is unsolvable or these ideas are so irrational that they could work.

W75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Everybody is underachieving except for Parise and Koivu. You're going to have underachievers playing together. We can't just get six new forwards on the roster.
I get that, but with what Granlund's biggest issue has been so far (being weak) and how he clearly benefited from playing with a big center I don't think this is going to help the team score more. Now we're pretty much back to square one with the 2nd line, except that Heatley should be a much better finisher than Cullen. Right now he's just not finishing. I see Granlund getting overpowered again and not being able to create enough chances for Heatley and Seto.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I've asked it like three times now but haven't gotten a response (maybe everyone's blocked me ) but can't Coyle play some center? I believe he's played some center throughout his career.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:35 PM
hokijanari

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
I've asked it like three times now but haven't gotten a response (maybe everyone's blocked me ) but can't Coyle play some center? I believe he's played some center throughout his career.
NO. He's a pure winger. If I understood right he hasn't played center since high-school.

I suppose almost all of the guys who play in the NHL have been centers when they were young. That's how it works in the juniors. The best guys are put to play center because there they can create the most plays against weak players... When the best of the best arrive for the first time to play for their National teams, some guys will be moved to play wing. And they'll be there possibly for the rest of their careers. Or that's at least some how it works in Finland..

hokijanari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Granlund 64

Quote:
I believe he has, but not since turning pro.

For what it's worth that is where Hockey's Future lists him.

Granlund 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:46 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

'kay, I think the top two lines should stick for at least another game. I like Brodz game and clutter looked more himself, but I'd like to see Butch up there instead of Cullen, and mitchell on the fourth with Rupp and ZK. Mitchell can fly in and keep them busy on the dump while the two big guys plod in and attempt a few hits.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:58 AM
Sportsfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I want BRODZIAK off Brodziak's line! He seriously needs to take a seat!
Brodziak played really well tonight, I thought that was the first game and 2nd for Cal they showed up, and when they are actually playing their game I REALLY like that line with him and Cullen.

Hopefully the Wild roll with the same lineup come Monday, except maybe with Spurgeon back.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:08 AM
Hagged

If Minnesota could lure S. Koivu from the ducks at the trade deadline he would be the ideal second line center and a perfect mentor for Granlund. Both are of the same size, and while Saku was speedier at younger age, they are quite similar in the skating department today. Over point per game second line center (with a league leading +/-), when was the last time Minnesota had that

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:24 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
And what do we know around here....it worked! That was a legit second line! It was great to see those guys step it up and get so many chances!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Beegoalie

Quote:
I believe this is my third time responding...2nd to you if I'm not mistaken.

He played center in high school and for a tad at BU. Never played center in the Q and never played center in the AHL.

He is now as pure of a winger as they come. He is like Heatley in that he is pure center but will take face-offs over some of the other wingers if the center gets thrown out..

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
If Minnesota could lure S. Koivu from the ducks at the trade deadline he would be the ideal second line center and a perfect mentor for Granlund. Both are of the same size, and while Saku was speedier at younger age, they are quite similar in the skating department today. Over point per game second line center (with a league leading +/-), when was the last time Minnesota had that

Im gonna go out on a limb and say those numbers may be inflated due to the fact he is playing with Selanne. Saku Koivu is not the solution to our problem at 2C. No thanks..

Old
02-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
Im gonna go out on a limb and say those numbers may be inflated due to the fact he is playing with Selanne. Saku Koivu is not the solution to our problem at 2C. No thanks..
You mean he has played one game with Selanne this season and that is why he is over point per game for the whole season? Koivu has played with Winnik and Cogliano, only last game after the first intermission Koivu was put on the second line and B. Ryan was moved to wing to get the second line to work. And it worked, Both Selanne and Ryan had a four point night, Koivu had a more quiet two-point night (he lead the Ducks in scoring before last game). Koivu is leading the league in +/-, how much of that is due to him playing two thirds of one regular season game in the same line with Selanne?

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:01 PM
The Boyle Sisters
six dollar papers

Quote:
Actually, this year is the first time he is NOT playing with Selanne. He's on the third line centering Andrew Cogliano and Dan Winnik. But anyhow, S. Koivu has stated multiple times that he wants to let Mikko do his thing over here on his own, and therefore Saku has always shot down the speculations of him coming here.

The Boyle Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boyle Sisters View Post
Actually, this year is the first time he is NOT playing with Selanne. He's on the third line centering Andrew Cogliano and Dan Winnik. But anyhow, S. Koivu has stated multiple times that he wants to let Mikko do his thing over here on his own, and therefore Saku has always shot down the speculations of him coming here.
The last time I remember hearing him say it was several years ago (maybe 2010?). Things change, people change. Not saying Saku would necessarily be the solution we're looking for, but I'm not sure if Saku not wanting to put his nose into Mikko's business would be an issue anymore.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:09 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:
Considering Anaheim is 2nd in the conference right now, things would really have to go south for Saku Koivu to even be on the block.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:13 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Why would Anaheim wanna get rid of him anyway, if they keep being a contender with their current lineup? Besides, it's apparent that the elder Koivu really likes SoCal, and not only because of Teemu.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
You mean he has played one game with Selanne this season and that is why he is over point per game for the whole season? Koivu has played with Winnik and Cogliano, only last game after the first intermission Koivu was put on the second line and B. Ryan was moved to wing to get the second line to work. And it worked, Both Selanne and Ryan had a four point night, Koivu had a more quiet two-point night (he lead the Ducks in scoring before last game). Koivu is leading the league in +/-, how much of that is due to him playing two thirds of one regular season game in the same line with Selanne?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boyle Sisters View Post
My bad here guys..I just assumed he was playing with Selanne since he has been for the better part of the last 3 seasons.

But Saku might be overachieving cause everything Winnik throws at the net right now is going in...I don't expect him to be a ppg player this late in his career. It simply won't happen.

Look at his last 3 years...

19-33-52
15-30-45
11-27-38

He will cool down and end up somewhere at .5 PPG. Which doesn't do it for me. Especially for a second line center. Heck ill take Brodziak and his 19 goal output from last year over Koivu and his 11. He's still a useful player but he's not what he once was.. lets not let 11 games influence our minds here...

Old
02-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Why would Anaheim wanna get rid of him anyway, if they keep being a contender with their current lineup? Besides, it's apparent that the elder Koivu really likes SoCal, and not only because of Teemu.

No idea..I believe him and Teemu at this point are both I'll play for Anaheim or Ill retire anyways..

Just responding to some posters who apparently think he is our 2C solution.