2013 League Rumors/Trades/Signings Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 07:22 PM
sjaustin77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Well, like anything else, it's all about context, as you said.

Jarome Iginla would most probably OK a trade to San Jose or Chicago or Boston. I very much doubt Nathan Horton or Chris Kelly would OK a trade to Calgary. So if someone is proposing a trade of someone with a NTC or NMC to a bottom feeder (with no extenuating circumstances, such as it being his hometown or something), it kind of makes you scratch your head, no?
Just a pet peeve of mine. People don't put context they just state Player X has a NTC, like there is no way he can be traded. Sometimes it is stated even when a player is going to a better team when he is likely to waive it. This year almost every team could still have a shot in the week leading up to the deadline.

And there are lots of reasons a player would accept possibly even to a bottom feeder. Bigger role, location for player, his wife or kids, more money the next year with them, or they can leave after the season to wherever, a team on the rise, or pride. Most players don't really want to keep playing on a team that doesn't want them and they understand that it is a business.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:24 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Boychuk: Full NTC (July 1, 2012, to Feb. 1, 2013); Modified NTC (Feb. 2, 2013 to June 30, 2013: player supplies eight-team trade list); Modified NTC (July 1, 2013, to May 31, 2014: player supplies 15-team trade list).

Interesting with the timing...
Haha, yeah, now I'm really curious as to whether Washington is on that list. Didn't Dom's Tweet say that Bruins/Caps started having conversations about Carlson a few days ago?

Old
02-08-2013, 07:26 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Where can I find the Carlson rumor? I checked Doms. Twitter and didn't see it.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Where can I find the Carlson rumor? I checked Doms. Twitter and didn't see it.
Read your pm.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
02-08-2013, 07:44 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Read your pm.

Thanks brother.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:00 PM
cheg1349

Quote:
Read your pm.

Secrets! No Fair!!!!

Old
02-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHegs1349 View Post
Secrets! No Fair!!!!
Read above posts by MTaylor and Colt.
Caps and Bruins have talked. Price is steep for Carlson.

If Dom wants to add that's up to him. Sorry.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:13 PM
cheg1349

Quote:

Oh I've read them, just joshing around.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:00 PM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyWho37 View Post
Sooo basically don't sign horton and put savard on IR 8 million there
...And then you still have to sign and or replace the following under a cap that is going down to a possible $64.3 million next year: Rask, a back-up goalie, a third line left wing, a defenseman, and two extras.

It's not happening unless you feel like trading Kelly, Peverley, Boychuk, let Ference go in free agency, and then fill those empty spots with league minimum contract players. Oh and you would also be giving up significant prospects in such a deal and high draft picks.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:34 PM
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time

We can fill those spots with league minimum players as long as we have superstars like Pittsburgh. Unfortunately I'm thinking Malkin isn't coming to Boston next year.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:48 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:

I'd imagine it would be.

If gms are desperate enough to kick the tires on Sopel, who looked washed up a few season's ago, I would think young Carlson on the trade market would create a quite a bidding war.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHegs1349 View Post
Secrets! No Fair!!!!
Wally has been around the place long enough to know that one should never say who's involved and also knows that I would never say who's involved anyway.

Let me just re-iterate what I said earlier in the thread.

A conversation(s) took place much like McPhee has with every other GM around the league. McPhee hired a coach in Oates who wants to play a certain way yet doesn't have the players to play that system. McPhee has had 15 years to deliver in Washington and hasn't. The general consensus is that Leonsis will not let McPhee replace Oates and that if anyone is going to get replaced it will be McPhee. (hello Brian Burke? - LOL no that isn't a rumor going around).

So GM's are circling like vultures knowing McPhee is vulnerable and in need of a major shakeup that will improve the team (more to Oates liking) now and for the future. Carlson is the asset that would bring back the most in return (once you eliminate Ovechkin and deem him your franchise player).

GM's talk on a daily basis and 999 times out of 1000 names being talked about never amount to anything. But every once in a while, they gather steam and a deal comes out of it weeks later. A conversation took place and McPhee mentioned Carlson. Bruins asked what would you want in return? McPhee made his request known. I will add it's two roster players plus a high end prospect. I never once said it was a forward + d-man, or 2 forwards or a forward + d-man. A simple look at Washington's lineup however, one can deduce who the high end prospect would be.

I've had a week to think about it and talked to a few people who think the deal immediately improves both teams and also for the future, at least they deem it a win win for both teams. So we'll see if it gathers steam. My tweet which is earlier in the thread only said the Bruins and Caps have had a discussion which could see Carlson end up a Bruin. Doesn't mean it will happen.

On another note (and maybe some kind person can copy this over to the Thomas thread as I am too lazy) people need to stop thinking the Thomas trade is a pre-cursor to this or any major deal that will bring a super star back to Boston. It just isn't the case.

If anyone has access to Peter Chiarelli's comments on the Thomas deal, maybe you can post them here. It is my understanding that Chiarelli used the words " bonuses " and "able to sign some players this year". So, to understand the Thomas trade, you have to understand what that means.

1) The bonus cushion (easier to explain). The Bruins have roughly $3 million in bonuses that could result in overages if a) they go out and make a deal b) get back to the cap max. The Savard LTIR can be used to cover the overage of a trade that brings in a player but not to cover bonus overage which would then be charged to next year and reduce the Bruins cap. Getting Thomas off the cap was huge here, but the tell tale sign of a deal coming is if the Bruins place Savard on LTIR immediately or retroactively.

2) Able to sign some players this year - By now everyone knows that the Bruins are going to offer Rask a contract extension this season. Here's the issue: There is a formula in the CBA that states that if you sign a player to an extension that this years cap + the raise that players increase adds to the cap, the team must be compliant to NEXT years cap. (that's not the entire formula but you get the drift of it). The Bruins could not re-sign Rask-Khudobin-Horton-Ference in season with Thomas on the books as it would surely put them over next season (this years cap + their raises). If you look back to last off-season I believe it was Kelly who agreed in principle to a deal but it had to wait until after July 1 while other contracts came off the books to make it official because signing him early would have put the Bruins in violation of that rule.

Now, it does provide the Bruins flexibility, but in the overall picture, after re-signing some guys, it's this Thomas deal that allows him to use the Savard LTIR if he has to. He's taking care of his in house issues first before proceeding with anything else. At that's where the flexibility comes from.

Sorry for the long winded response, and probably doesn't answer the main questions here, but that's as far as I will go with it.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Wally has been around the place long enough to know that one should never say who's involved and also knows that I would never say who's involved anyway.

Let me just re-iterate what I said earlier in the thread.

A conversation(s) took place much like McPhee has with every other GM around the league. McPhee hired a coach in Oates who wants to play a certain way yet doesn't have the players to play that system. McPhee has had 15 years to deliver in Washington and hasn't. The general consensus is that Leonsis will not let McPhee replace Oates and that if anyone is going to get replaced it will be McPhee. (hello Brian Burke? - LOL no that isn't a rumor going around).

So GM's are circling like vultures knowing McPhee is vulnerable and in need of a major shakeup that will improve the team (more to Oates liking) now and for the future. Carlson is the asset that would bring back the most in return (once you eliminate Ovechkin and deem him your franchise player).

GM's talk on a daily basis and 999 times out of 1000 names being talked about never amount to anything. But every once in a while, they gather steam and a deal comes out of it weeks later. A conversation took place and McPhee mentioned Carlson. Bruins asked what would you want in return? McPhee made his request known. I will add it's two roster players plus a high end prospect. I never once said it was a forward + d-man, or 2 forwards or a forward + d-man. A simple look at Washington's lineup however, one can deduce who the high end prospect would be.

I've had a week to think about it and talked to a few people who think the deal immediately improves both teams and also for the future, at least they deem it a win win for both teams. So we'll see if it gathers steam. My tweet which is earlier in the thread only said the Bruins and Caps have had a discussion which could see Carlson end up a Bruin. Doesn't mean it will happen.

Sorry for the long winded response, and probably doesn't answer the main questions here, but that's as far as I will go with it.
Great stuff Dom, thanks!

It makes you wonder if they truly are eliminating Ovechkin from discussions based just on what you've stated in this thread so far and his performance of late. If Oates wants a defense first system building one around Ovechkin would seem damn near impossible due to AO's lack of commitment in that regard. If you want a major shakeup I can't see any bigger then moving Ovechkin honestly, and the return would no doubt be huge.

No doubt Leonsis would want his say in such a move, but you have to wonder if there's any chance this becomes a Thornton like situation at some point. I'd think McPhee would go well before Ovechkin, but I would have thought O'Connell would have gone before Big JT as well.

I doubt he gets moved and even if he did it would no doubt be out west, and likely immediately followed by McPhee's dismissal, but you have to wonder just how desperate they're getting over there.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:03 AM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Always a treat reading you, Dom, thank you for the excellent clarification and analysis from more than one angle.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:42 PM
BergyWho37

Good post Dom ... not saying I agree with all of it but some good facts in three

Question why wouldn't some teams spend to the 70 mill cap this year ?

There is 2 free buy outs coming ..

Teams are still going to trade with you in the offseason ..

IF your owner will spend money you can get assets from this option ... don't ya think ?

Old
02-09-2013, 01:14 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:

Is this the same John Carlsson who is Jared Knights bud and former roomie with Boston ties and bigtime Sox fan

Old
02-09-2013, 01:32 PM
5 minutes a Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Is this the same John Carlsson who is Jared Knights bud and former roomie with Boston ties and bigtime Sox fan
Chara, Hamilton and Carlson on D, I need to take a cold shower...

Old
02-10-2013, 09:31 AM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leviathan View Post
7 million sounds about right, in which case the Bruins wouldn't be able to ice a complete team next year with that contract added without parting off their current signed guys (who they would then have to replace as well).
Trade Krejci for perry with an extension in place.

Lucic seguin perry
Marchand Bergeron horton

Old
02-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dangley One View Post

Lucic seguin perry
Marchand Bergeron horton
Dump Krejci and put Seguin at center on the top line. That's a great idea, considering how Seguin has proved he's a No. 1 center and how Krejci has done squat for the Bruins. And surely Perry will sign a cap-friendly deal with Boston.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:41 AM
JRull86
Formerly Guiledoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dangley One View Post

Lucic seguin perry
Marchand Bergeron horton
This solves nothing.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:26 AM
remer

Lucic Krejci Sequin
Marchand Bergeron Horton
Bourque Kelly Peverely
Paille Campbell Thorton
Spooner McDermidCaron

Chara Boychuk
Seids Hamilton
Ference McQuaid
Johnson

Bolded players that could be traded if the Bruins make some moves.

Agree that two players that would improve this team would be Weiss and Carlson.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:11 AM
flannelman
merde!

vCash: 195
I like the Carlson idea but what do you folks think of Dimitri Kuilikov - I'm a fan, he's signed through next season and will then be a RFA. I'm wondering if he'd be cheaper to bring in from an asset stand point.

Just curious,

Old
02-10-2013, 12:11 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
This solves nothing.
Perry>seguin>Krejci

Yes it does

Old
02-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

I dont get all the Krejci hate

He was our point leader during the SC run and I believe he is our point leader now

I would trade away Ference before anyone else this season he has been horrible. Does he even have any points?

Old
02-10-2013, 12:18 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
I like the Carlson idea but what do you folks think of Dimitri Kuilikov - I'm a fan, he's signed through next season and will then be a RFA. I'm wondering if he'd be cheaper to bring in from an asset stand point.

Just curious,
More expensive. Kulikov is maybe a better player than Carlson and we have no reason to believe he is available whereas Carlson potentially is.

Closed Thread