HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who would you keep

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2003, 07:21 PM
SerbianEagle

vCash: 500
Who would you keep

If it came down to keeping one of Smith or Brewer who would you keep. Agewise and looking at upside one would think Brewer, but I would keep Smith.

I like his way of play. Takes a big hit and has a big grin on his face. Yeah, like I said I'd keep Smith due to his way of playing. Also we'd probably be able to get more for brewer, but here is hoping we keep both.

Old
12-16-2003, 07:31 PM
Oiltalk

Brewer for the simple agewise and upside you mentioned in your post. Smith is the better of the two this season as well meaning his value will be pretty good in any trade. I think giving up on Brewer right now would be a big mistake on the Oilers part.

Old
12-16-2003, 08:11 PM
elphy101

I take Brewer now and in the future. I think he is better than Smith now.

Old
12-16-2003, 08:28 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
If it came down to keeping one of Smith or Brewer who would you keep. Agewise and looking at upside one would think Brewer, but I would keep Smith.

I like his way of play. Takes a big hit and has a big grin on his face. Yeah, like I said I'd keep Smith due to his way of playing. Also we'd probably be able to get more for brewer, but here is hoping we keep both.
I keep Smith. I know this surprises few because of my past regarding Brewer. But I have my reasons.

Smith was one of the few Oilers that left it all on the ice in last years playoff. As far as I'm concerned he's had one bad season in the past five.

At some point you have to stop taking key veterans outta the line up. I know we are in a "revolving door" situation here, but some key peices need to stay in place at SOME point along the way.

Although Smith got too much in arb, I feel down the road it will be easier to keep him here than Brewer (assuming Brewer has figured it out) Smith gets to be the captain that "leads by example", because clearly their is no other vocal respected leader on the horizon, other than perhaps Staios. Which is basically going sideways in the leadership department if anything. I like Ryan Smyth......but he aint captain material.

This isn't a "get rid of Brewer" reply. But if I had to pick one of the 2, it's Brewer for the reason listed above AND because I still feel he's overrated and will give us much more in return in the trade.

Basically the return we would get from dealing Brewer is the clincher for me.

That's one mans opinion....

Old
12-16-2003, 08:32 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Right now Smith ... down the road Brewer.

but I'm sure the most likely to go on the defence right now is Smith. It seems that guys that use his style of play seem to burn out quickly as well (unless your name is Stevens) + Brewer is younger, cheaper and still has potential to be more.

Sam

Old
12-16-2003, 08:33 PM
camboy

Tough call. Smith bleeds Copper and that's tough to replace. Brewer would fetch better value in a trade. If I was GM I would probably hold on to Brew. Tough call....

Old
12-17-2003, 08:21 AM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Smith bleeds Copper and that's tough to replace
Agree 100%. Brewer to me seems like one of those "I don't care where i play as long as I get paid" guys, whereas Gator like you said bleeds Oiler colors despite being from cowtown.

Closed Thread