HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: Browsing Craig's List 20-24.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2013, 11:50 AM
  #26
Marlboro
Registered User
 
Marlboro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: LeafsNation
Country: Canada
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Players I could see leafs drafting in 1st round

Sean Monahan

Adam Erne

Darnell Nurse

Kerby Rychel

Ryan Hartman

Frederik Gauthier

Jacob de la Rose

Marlboro is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 11:55 AM
  #27
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 38,387
vCash: 500
is the pick worth keeping if we are in a playoff spot ?

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 11:58 AM
  #28
GalacticaActual
Registered User
 
GalacticaActual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 1,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
is the pick worth keeping if we are in a playoff spot ?
Yes. Why not draft another Tyler Biggs? You can get good players even in the second round. A team like the Leafs needs to horde top draft picks, even if that draft pick is 10th-20th overall.

GalacticaActual is online now  
Old
02-10-2013, 12:03 PM
  #29
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 38,387
vCash: 500
what if you needed it to trade for a key player?
like the nyr or kings did to get nash and carter

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 12:24 PM
  #30
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist
 
The Mentalist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,894
vCash: 500
If we pick 10-15, this is where a scout makes his money, Rychel, Bailey, Pulock, will have to scour my lists and do more watching.

The Mentalist is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 12:25 PM
  #31
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist
 
The Mentalist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboro View Post
Players I could see leafs drafting in 1st round

Sean Monahan

Adam Erne

Darnell Nurse

Kerby Rychel

Ryan Hartman

Frederik Gauthier

Jacob de la Rose
I don't want any part of Erne, with our team now gelling with a team first approach. One possible bad egg is one too much.

The Mentalist is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 01:07 PM
  #32
-DeMo-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,603
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
is the pick worth keeping if we are in a playoff spot ?
this type of thinking is what got us in the situation we are in...

-DeMo- is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 01:17 PM
  #33
Spazmatic Dan
Force Beyond Measure
 
Spazmatic Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chatham, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
Let's have some fun. If the season ended today Mock Draft.

1) Washington - Seth Jones
2) Columbus - Nathan Mackinnon
3) Colorado - Alex Barkov
4) Columbus (LA) - Jonathan Drouin
5) Calgary - Sean Monahan
6) Buffalo - Elias Lindholm
7) Florida - Valeri Nicushkin
8) Minnesota - Hunter Shinkaruk
9) New York (I) - Nikita Zadorov
10) Columbus (NY) - Rasmus Ristolainen
11) Philadelphia - Adam Erne
12) Edmonton - Darnell Nurse
13) Winnipeg - Ryan Pullock
14) Carolina - Anthony Mantha
15) Phoenix - Frederik Gauthier
16) Toronto - Valentin Zykov/Curtis Lazar/Alex Wennberg/Max Domi/Robert Hagg?
If it were me, Max Domi would be super tempting but I'd almost have to go with Curtis Lazar. I'd be happy with either though.

I would probably first look to trade up a few spots and grab Pulock. For whatever reason, I really want him in blue and white.


Another option I would look long and hard at is Kerby Rychel.

Spazmatic Dan is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 01:21 PM
  #34
Cor
Me Troll? Never
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,833
vCash: 72
Ryan Pulock develops fast in NHL 13.... lets go with him?


Cor is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 01:22 PM
  #35
leugangen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 699
vCash: 500
If we finish in the 10-15 range, I really hope that Nichushkin falls to us because of the Russian factor.

leugangen is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 01:27 PM
  #36
Dark Passenger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
If we finish in the 10-15 range, I really hope that Nichushkin falls to us because of the Russian factor.
I know its early days, but can see the Sabres picking anywhere from 5-12 this season. Wouldnt be surprised to see them pick Nikushkin, if available. Pairing him with Grigorenko.

Dark Passenger is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 01:30 PM
  #37
Terrence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,155
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
Let's have some fun. If the season ended today Mock Draft.

1) Washington - Seth Jones
2) Columbus - Nathan Mackinnon
3) Colorado - Alex Barkov
4) Columbus (LA) - Jonathan Drouin
5) Calgary - Sean Monahan
6) Buffalo - Elias Lindholm
7) Florida - Valeri Nicushkin
8) Minnesota - Hunter Shinkaruk
9) New York (I) - Nikita Zadorov
10) Columbus (NY) - Rasmus Ristolainen
11) Philadelphia - Adam Erne
12) Edmonton - Darnell Nurse
13) Winnipeg - Ryan Pullock
14) Carolina - Anthony Mantha
15) Phoenix - Frederik Gauthier
16) Toronto - Valentin Zykov/Curtis Lazar/Alex Wennberg/Max Domi/Robert Hagg?
At 16 with those players taken before?

1) Morrissey
2) Lazar
3) Domi

Terrence is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 01:47 PM
  #38
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.
 
Epictetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,632
vCash: 50
I can see the Bruins drafting Ryan Hartman. He's a perfect fit there and within their draft range, such that he can be coined as a "typical Boston pick."

It makes me sick.

Epictetus is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 01:47 PM
  #39
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
10-20 is where there's great value. Good kids, and excellent upside from the Q, with Erne, Mantha, And Fucale. Nurse will be in that range (most likely), as well.

We could really add a nice compliment of power and offensive ability to the wings with either of Erne and Mantha, and those are my preferred picks, by far.

The "suspension" that never was, and the response to the issue itself show what kind of kid A.E. is, not to mention the word of his coaches. Way overblown. Mantha is a dandy too. Either, with a PF game and solid scoring ability are great compliments on the wing for a line with Kadri and/or Kessel. Work ethic and upside should be huge factors in our picks.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 02:32 PM
  #40
leugangen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
I know its early days, but can see the Sabres picking anywhere from 5-12 this season. Wouldnt be surprised to see them pick Nikushkin, if available. Pairing him with Grigorenko.
Ugh. That would be an absolutely sick pairing.

leugangen is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 03:06 PM
  #41
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
I was under the assumption that the LA pick they got was for last years draft, someone can correct me on that though.

CLB badly needs those picks anyway, an extremely barebones team minus two high-end d-men(JJ and Ryan Murray.) Basically the maple leafs from 07-09.

Looking more and more like Washington ends up bottom 5, nothing going well there. But no way does Philly stay low, they're back on track now, NYR as well will be much higher.

IMO bottom 5 will be:
1) CLB(no brainer)
2) Calgary(they look terrible)
3)Washington(wildcard but they look terrible right now)
4) Florida(system not working very well)
5) NYI(Just lost 4 in a row)

Edmonton will be close afterwards in the 5-10 range. Starting to not really see the leafs being around here.
Calgary without Kipper is bottom 5. With him they didn't actually look all that bad. In fact they actually looked quite competitive at points. Flat out dominated Chicago in the game they lost in OT to them.

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 03:08 PM
  #42
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
If it were me, Max Domi would be super tempting but I'd almost have to go with Curtis Lazar. I'd be happy with either though.

I would probably first look to trade up a few spots and grab Pulock. For whatever reason, I really want him in blue and white.


Another option I would look long and hard at is Kerby Rychel.
Horvat!!!!!

Love him. Rychel not so much. Just not impressed. Seems so hot and cold. As in tries at times and others just seems not to care so much.

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 03:19 PM
  #43
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
Horvat!!!!!

Love him. Rychel not so much. Just not impressed. Seems so hot and cold. As in tries at times and others just seems not to care so much.
I don't think Domi, Lazar, OR Horvat should go before 20, but all should be gone before 30.

Just my opinion.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 03:30 PM
  #44
Hawaiinleaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Honolulu
Country: United States
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Its clear the leafs have extra assets to gather more picks

McCarthur is surplus and should garner a late 1st or high 2nd

The team has 9 D thats 2 too many so who goes and for what in return? Another 1st is likely for one if not both extra D


Come draft if were 15th Nonis could put a good package of picks to move up top 10 and maybe even add a player like Gunnarson 15th pick plus a 2nd for 6th overall?

We could still get Monahan with a package given the team has numerous non core assets to trade now

Hawaiinleaf is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 03:42 PM
  #45
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Its clear the leafs have extra assets to gather more picks

McCarthur is surplus and should garner a late 1st or high 2nd

The team has 9 D thats 2 too many so who goes and for what in return? Another 1st is likely for one if not both extra D


Come draft if were 15th Nonis could put a good package of picks to move up top 10 and maybe even add a player like Gunnarson 15th pick plus a 2nd for 6th overall?

We could still get Monahan with a package given the team has numerous non core assets to trade now
The whole "MacArthur for a 1st" was last year, and it was conditional at that, in a draft that was weaker in the 1st round than this one is. He hasn't played well enough to garner a 1st to this point. He'd have to really start producing for a contender to look at him with that kind of value. I would expect a mid-round 2nd for him.

The extra defensemen you speak of are likely Komi and.... Liles? Neither gets us a first rounder. Liles hasn't been that good this season to date, and Komi hasn't been that good at all....Ever. Liles can probably return us another 2nd, or if he finds his game, a late 1st AT BEST. We would be lucky to have someone take Komi off of our hands at all, let alone give up a 1st or 2nd for him. He's likely a buy-out candidate in the summer, and other teams know it.

The thing is, draft picks hold different value, based on the year they are. This year's draft is deep on talent in the 1st and 2nd, and then it's a toss-up after that, as usual. High picks won't be moved unless teams get core players in return. You probably aren't going to see a ton of picks moved at all this year, as teams know this is a good draft to pick a solid player for their organizations in.

Either way, I would like to add a 2nd rounder or two, and package at least one of them to jump up some, and maybe add a prospect with higher skill/upside package.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 03:42 PM
  #46
dougieg93
flip for filip
 
dougieg93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Its clear the leafs have extra assets to gather more picks

McCarthur is surplus and should garner a late 1st or high 2nd

The team has 9 D thats 2 too many so who goes and for what in return? Another 1st is likely for one if not both extra D


Come draft if were 15th Nonis could put a good package of picks to move up top 10 and maybe even add a player like Gunnarson 15th pick plus a 2nd for 6th overall?

We could still get Monahan with a package given the team has numerous non core assets to trade now
That's what I was thinking of packaging MacArthur and one of our surplus D like Blacker for a earlier 1st. The only thing is I would think that teams would be tighter around their 1sts for this year's draft.

dougieg93 is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 03:49 PM
  #47
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I don't think Domi, Lazar, OR Horvat should go before 20, but all should be gone before 30.

Just my opinion.
Eh I can see where you're coming.

Personally I think all three could go before 20, and actually have the means too. That said there are other players that look quite nice that could easily go before them too.

Funny enough, Lazar has more goals than Erne (not picking on a prospect you like, just a stat). To be fair to others in that range, I'm a big fan of both Lazar and Horvat.

And I still don't get the dislike for Domi. Guy is a stud, even if he is playing on a top team.

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 03:52 PM
  #48
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs
 
Brewsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: King County
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,122
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
what if you needed it to trade for a key player?
like the nyr or kings did to get nash and carter
Those teams just need one piece or two to make them a Stanley Cup contender.

We are far, FAR away from that type of foundation.

Brewsky is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 03:58 PM
  #49
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.
 
Epictetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,632
vCash: 50
Nichuskin's breakout speed from his skating is world class. I remember people were ragging on Seth Jones and Ryan Murphy for not being able to stop from him going around them, but I think that it is easier said than done. He is almost unstoppable (without taking a penalty), when he reaches top flight.

I think the scouts, namely, Button, were extremely accurate with their assessment.

He looks absolutely fearless going to the net, and out of the many Russian wingers, he looks like he can finish extremely well.

Most of his goals are scored exactly that way. What do you guys think about this, and the ability for that style of scoring/play to translate at the NHL-level?

Video taken from the Main Boards:



To add: I think that he can seriously fall in this draft. It's worth considering because he is top-10 caliber, and much better than some of the Junior players being discussed.


Last edited by Epictetus: 02-10-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Epictetus is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 04:06 PM
  #50
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
Eh I can see where you're coming.

Personally I think all three could go before 20, and actually have the means too. That said there are other players that look quite nice that could easily go before them too.

Funny enough, Lazar has more goals than Erne (not picking on a prospect you like, just a stat). To be fair to others in that range, I'm a big fan of both Lazar and Horvat.

And I still don't get the dislike for Domi. Guy is a stud, even if he is playing on a top team.
I like Lazar, as he would be a perfect 3C, with solid 2C potential, but I don't think the offensive upside is as high as Erne's at all.

Wouldn't be upset to have either, really.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.