HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Raleigh and the Triangle Guide and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 12:34 PM
IdealisticSniper

vCash: 500
Hey guys. I come in peace lol.

Im going to be coming to the Lightning Hurricanes game on the 23rd. Its a bachelor party trip of sorts.

Will be there Sat and Sun. Ive kinda browsed through a few pages of this thread but if you guys could maybe give me an idea on the best BBQ in the area, places we should go, things to do after the game, etc etc. Just a quick guide of sorts maybe.

Thanks!

Old
02-10-2013, 12:58 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post

Im going to be coming to the Lightning Hurricanes game on the 23rd. Its a bachelor party trip of sorts.

Will be there Sat and Sun. Ive kinda browsed through a few pages of this thread but if you guys could maybe give me an idea on the best BBQ in the area, places we should go, things to do after the game, etc etc. Just a quick guide of sorts maybe.

Thanks!
Best BBQ is one you'll get into an endless fight on here over. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with The Pit. Go at lunch though, portion sizes are the same (at least in my experience) and the prices are a decent bit cheaper per person. http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/

Tons of good post-game party options. If you guys are into the beer scene at all there are 4 very high quality bars that have been named to Draft Magazine's top 100 over the past 2 years alone. Raleigh Times, Tyler's Taproom, Brewmasters, and Busy Bee. Best one all depends on where you're staying, if you're out by the airport area Tyler's in Durham would be my choice, but for the ASG a couple seasons back it seemed like Raleigh Times was the place to close out. There's also the Yard House and a World of Beer location right next to eachother off Six Forks.

Some others might be able to help on some of the places to go to hang out. I'm more the beer guy here

Last edited by DaveG: 02-10-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old
02-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

vCash: 50
Bit more on the expensive side, but I love the Angus Barn

Dave is right tho, The Pit is the best place in the city tho

Old
02-10-2013, 01:44 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post

Thanks!
I'm going to suggest if the weather is good, get to the parking lot early and join a group of tailgaters. There is a very good chance someone will be cooking BBQ and there will be beer and other stuff to keep you occupied for a few hours before game time.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:00 PM
HedsUp77Up

Hey guys, another Lightning fan here.

Me and a few other people are coming down to see the game on Saturday. We were thinking about going to the Backyard Bistro a few hours before the game. Do they still allow you to park there during the game for free, provided that you display your receipt in your windshield?

Thanks

Old
02-20-2013, 08:59 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger89 View Post
Hey guys, another Lightning fan here.

Me and a few other people are coming down to see the game on Saturday. We were thinking about going to the Backyard Bistro a few hours before the game. Do they still allow you to park there during the game for free, provided that you display your receipt in your windshield?

Thanks
Not sure if they brought it back, but they didn't last time I went there (Canes-Rangers last year). I haven't been back since.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:27 PM
HedsUp77Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Not sure if they brought it back, but they didn't last time I went there (Canes-Rangers last year). I haven't been back since.
Hmm, I'll have to give them a call before Saturday then.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:20 PM
Kule Aid Man

Trip to Raleigh

Hey all! Just popping in to ask a few questions due to my trip to Raleigh in early April.

1. As I will be attending 2 games, is there any tips I should know (places to go before or after the game etc.)

2. FOOD! Where are your favorite places to eat within an hour away from the arena.

3. Any other suggestions for my trip that might help!

Anything is much appreciated, and hope your team keeps up the stellar play!

Cheers

Old
02-20-2013, 10:30 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger89 View Post
Hmm, I'll have to give them a call before Saturday then.
On the plus side there's free parking on the other side of Edwards Mill at Cardinal Gibbons and the area off that road, and there's a pretty convenient walkway under Edwards Mill to the arena. Backyard Bistro is a pretty easy walk from there, but honestly I'd just hit up one of the many tailgating groups. Most everyone is pretty friendly and you should be able to get some good food rather easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kule Aid Man View Post
Hey all! Just popping in to ask a few questions due to my trip to Raleigh in early April.

1. As I will be attending 2 games, is there any tips I should know (places to go before or after the game etc.)

2. FOOD! Where are your favorite places to eat within an hour away from the arena.

3. Any other suggestions for my trip that might help!

Anything is much appreciated, and hope your team keeps up the stellar play!

Cheers
Before, especially in early April. TAILGATING! Good times to be had in the parking lot before the games. Before that, lots of good places to check out in Raleigh and Durham. Some good golf courses right within the triangle if you want to do that before the game, some great bars, some great barbeque (I'm preferential to The Pit).

As for where to go after the game, depends on where you're staying. Raleigh Times was a popular place for the NHL types and associated media to close down at the ASG, but if you're staying closer to the airport then Durham has some hotspots to hit, especially the American Tobacco district right by the Durham Bulls ballpark, notably Tyler's Taproom is in there.

Best restaurants are something you'll get mixed opinion on, but you have to check out one of the quality carolina barbeque places at least once before you leave. There are a lot of good places to eat, but as someone that comes from Boston there's not much that rubs me as exceptional, but that's extremely hard to do. Honestly if you're into the microbrew scene this area is damn close to nirvana.

Also, not sure how much you're willing to spend, but Pinehurst isn't far from here. If you want some quality golf you can't get much better then that.

Last edited by DaveG: 02-20-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old
02-26-2013, 05:59 PM
DanNYI2191

I caught the Hurricans-Leafs game on Valentine's Day while I was visiting Raleigh. I must say, I totally underestimated the passion and size of your fanbase. The building is beautiful. It was such a great atmosphere in the building and everyone was very helpful and friendly. I was impressed by how much you applaud your team after a solid shift or play that doesn't result in a goal. I hope that Islander games get a similar feel after they move to Brooklyn.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:16 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Anything especially worthwhile visiting in early March? Already going to the Devils game on the 9th with my brother and am probably going to take a wander around the Capitol complex at some point.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

The Natural Sciences Museum and the NC History Museum are across the street from the Capitol, and they are free, so they are worth wandering into for a bit. The Natural Sciences Museum recently opened a pretty cool expansion. Lots of good restaurants and bars around that area as well (see first post of thread).

04-16-2013, 03:45 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Brewery updates - 2 new ones and 1 old one with a new name:

On the new front we have Trophy Brewing and Raleigh Brewing Company. As I mentioned earlier, Roth will soon be no more and will soon be rebranded as Gizmo Brew Works. The new owners were at World Beer Fest this past weekend under the new name.

04-17-2013, 08:04 AM
Guy

vCash: 276
I went to both Trophy and Raleigh a couple of weekends ago and enjoyed both. I don't really care what they call Roth (but that is a terrible new name), I've never been very impressed by their beers. I feel like I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to beer, and every one I've had from them has been meh or worse.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:23 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I went to both Trophy and Raleigh a couple of weekends ago and enjoyed both. I don't really care what they call Roth (but that is a terrible new name), I've never been very impressed by their beers. I feel like I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to beer, and every one I've had from them has been meh or worse.
I can understand, but I'm willing to give it more of a chance now as it's under completely new ownership. The Roth Bros. are no longer involved in the brewery at all. I know the new owners got their recipes as part of the sale, but I'd expect some tweaking to the old recipes and new ones altogether. I remember when Roth first opened their beers were quite good, particularly Forgotten Hollow, their cinnamon porter. As time went on though, it seemed they started cutting corners and it went to "meh or worse." I think the problem was the Roths were decent beermakers but just awful businessmen and their business failures wound up impacting their ability to put out a quality product. Edenton Street Brewing was in a similar scenario, IMO, when they sold the brewery lock, stock, and barrel and it became Big Boss.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

I was in town for a wedding Saturday and went to Trophy. Really enjoyed it. Kind of irritated though because I used to live across the street at Cameron Court and there was nothing awesome like that nearby!

I also had dinner at Dos Taquitos Xoco, and my god that might be the most over-the-top restaurant decor I have ever seen haha. It's like they looked at one of those crappy chain Tex-Mex restaurants then upped the ante to an extreme. Certainly fits the Glenwood South vibe. There is a miniature train that delivers chips to your table. The food was awesome, though.

I also saw that Ashley Christensen's reopening of Wilmoore Cafe will be called Joule Coffee.

Last edited by Gotta Catch Em Staal: 04-17-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old
04-17-2013, 09:59 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
I was in town for a wedding Saturday and went to Trophy. Really enjoyed it. Kind of irritated though because I used to live across the street at Cameron Court and there was nothing awesome like that nearby!

I also had dinner at Dos Taquitos Xoco, and my god that might be the most over-the-top restaurant decor I have ever seen haha. It's like they looked at one of those crappy chain Tex-Mex restaurants then upped the ante to an extreme. Certainly fits the Glenwood South vibe. There is a miniature train that delivers chips to your table. The food was awesome, though.

I also saw that Ashley Christensen's reopening of Wilmoore Cafe will be called Joule Coffee.
That. Sounds. Awesome. I hope it sticks in that location after the crappy, overpriced The Diner and my much beloved Hard Times Cafe. Have you ever been to their main location on Creedmoor? It's so weird to go from strip mall exterior to dark cantina interior.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

We had to wait like two hours for a table so it certainly seems to be doing well! Then again it was a Saturday and the day of beer fest. I have been to the Creedmoor one before; the food at Xoco was just as good.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:03 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
That. Sounds. Awesome. I hope it sticks in that location after the crappy, overpriced The Diner and my much beloved Hard Times Cafe. Have you ever been to their main location on Creedmoor? It's so weird to go from strip mall exterior to dark cantina interior.
Don't forget the human mannequins that hoist themselves up high and sit deathly still by the front entrance. Not something you see everyday.

I'm pretty sure I saw Melichar up there one night, taking full advantage of his immobility.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
I ate there a couple years ago prior to my St. Baldrick's shavetime. The service was terribly slow and we had about 3 minutes to eat before we had to go over to the Hibernian to get in the queue for my time.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

The Diner wasn't anything special, but it was nice to have a 24 hour restaurant downtown for the brief time it lasted. Our waitress at Xoco said they are interested in going 24 hours eventually if they think it will work.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:58 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Holy hell. I see what you mean by over the top!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/triangl...er/8617503110/

Old
04-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Holy hell. I see what you mean by over the top!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/triangl...er/8617503110/
That's...typical...restaurant decor, right?

Old
04-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

I think it's the "we'll never get evicted because good luck moving all of this crap out of here" approach.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
I think it's the "we'll never get evicted because good luck moving all of this crap out of here" approach.
Well considering the general lack of success of establishments at that location, it might just work.

Closed Thread