HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals: Version IV - Kings & Rangers are low..trade?

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 10:00 AM
RomanianLeafs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Still bad cap management. The wing position is an area of strength for us and it is the easiest position to fill and I dont want Kessel signed until his mid 30īs like some people here suggest we should.

I Kessel can bring us a good young d-man or a good young center then I think we should trade him since that would benefit the team more long term. Kessel is not that important.
**** and leave

Old
02-10-2013, 10:15 AM
notdoneyet

Now is the time to get rid of Phil and Dion
They are starting to score. Their value is high
now, We can get draft picks and prospects for them.
This way every three years we can have a whole new team.

We NEED these two players if we are going to be successful. Why anyone in their right minds wants to trade them is beyond me.

Look at last nights game. Coach kept Dion to under 25 minutes what
happens goal, assist 5 HITS and a plus 1.

Coach admitted he was at fault against rangers not Dion.
32 minutes doesnt let Dion play his game. When he plays this
much he has to change his game, he cant hit as much or rush the puck, his two main strengths. Keep him to 25 minutes,let him play his game and he will be everthing we want him to be.

Phil is just Phil he makes other players better. He is such a threat everytime he has the puck that there is always someone open on his line and now he knows
that he doesnt have to score all the goals look how many assists he has.

Big mistake to trade these two.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Ricky Bobby

With the way Kessel plays he should have success into his mid 30s without a problem.

Kessel is an elite winger who has always been elite even years before his draft. This isn't a player who is just having a few good seasons.

I'd be fine giving him the 8 year max and be looking at something in the 6 to 6.5 range. Anything more then 6.5 is a lot but that might end up being what it takes.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Cool Hand Luke

Quote:
Yeah, lets re-sign him so that way we have invested 20% of the cap on 3 wingers (Lupol&JVR).

Thatīs the way to build a team.
Chicago: Kane (6.3), Sharp (5.9), Hossa (5.3)= 17.5/64 = 27%
San Jose: Marleau (6.9), Havlat (5.0), Clowe (4.0)= 15.9/64 = 25%
Vancouver: Sedin (6.1), Booth (4.25), Burrows (4.5)= 14.9/64 = 23%
Boston: Lucic (6.0), Horton (4.0), Marchand (4.5)= 14.5/64 = 23%

Wow, what a group of TERRIBLE teams. Would never want to build a team like these guys.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
I'd say 7 to 7.5 for Kessel.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:25 AM
DPyro

Kessel will get $7.25 on a max deal.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:36 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

i say 7 per for 5yrs

Old
02-10-2013, 10:47 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

I can see 6-6.5 on an 8 year deal. Sure hes an offensive powerhouse, but hes very similar to Kane whose signed to 6.3, cap dropped meaning salary % should be lower than it has been the past couple of years, and he doesnt bring the defensive game that Grabovski brings which makes up for their gap in offence.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Revolt

Keep kessel. If we get rid of him we'll just need someone to replace him later down the line. I sometimes hate that he won't take the puck to the net or use his body to protect the puck at times, but i can't complain about what he brings to the table.

I'm hoping for around 6.5-6.7 per season.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Ricky Bobby

What do people think about reinking Phaneuf?

Brent Burns who got 5.5 for 5 years or Wisniewski who got 6 years at 5.5 are good comparisons.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:50 AM
threeGo

I was for trading kessel, but at this point in time it would send a bad message to the team. We are fighting for the playoffs and are looking good. We need to make it this year and it should show FA's that we are ready to contend and that we only need a #1 center to boost us into contender status.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:51 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post

Brent Burns who got 5.5 for 5 years or Wisniewski who got 6 years at 5.5 are good comparisons.
I expect Phaneufs next contract to be in that range. He definitely isnt the 6.5 million player he signed to be, but at the same time hes still a 5+ million dollar defenseman.

A 1 million dollar reduction in Phaneufs salary and a 1 million raise for Kessel would counteract the affects and leave us in a strong position financially.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post

Phaneuf is better than both.

I'd say 5.75-6ish x 5/6

Old
02-10-2013, 10:54 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

phaneuf 6 mil per for 5 yrs

Old
02-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Thee Implication
Gaaaaary Roberts!

vCash: 50
I'd be interested in adding Vlad Sobotka for depth if we dropped Mac. A player more suited for a bottom six with an abundance of grit and drive. His value is probably more to St. Louis than it would be in a trade. But hey this is sort of a fantasy thread anyway

Don't think the blues would budge on a straight up trade

Old
02-10-2013, 11:10 AM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
I think and hope Phaneuf will get the same deal as the one he have now. No raise and no cut, after all he was overpaid before but have stepped up his game this season. And he is also the captain, that is worth a little extra. So 6 years, $6.5m p/y. And it is not such a big deal to overpay a little for top d-man.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:13 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
I think and hope Phaneuf will get the same deal as the one he have now. No raise and no cut, after all he was overpaid before but have stepped up his game this season. And he is also the captain, that is worth a little extra. So 6 years, $6.5m p/y. And it is not such a big deal to overpay a little for top d-man.
Yes but Captains will usually make sacrifices for their team

Old
02-10-2013, 11:35 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Can we change the title? Phil's not available, and he's not going anywhere.. He likes it here. He's comfortable here, he's not the kind of guy to change his surroundings especially with the friends he's made in Toronto.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:38 AM
CG14

Lets all just focus on getting Ryan O'Reilly

Old
02-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsToronto View Post
I'd be interested in adding Vlad Sobotka for depth if we dropped Mac. A player more suited for a bottom six with an abundance of grit and drive. His value is probably more to St. Louis than it would be in a trade. But hey this is sort of a fantasy thread anyway

I would LOVE Sobotka...but I don't think the Blues would trade him for anything short of an overpayment.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Dark Knight
#PlayoffPush

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsToronto View Post

He's a great agitator. Possibly the best 3rd line winger in the business right now but watch out for Leo Komarov as he gets more and more adjusted to the NHL. He's eerily similar to Vladimir Sobotka. Might even be more annoying.

02-10-2013, 12:32 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdoneyet View Post
Now is the time to get rid of Phil and Dion
They are starting to score. Their value is high
now, We can get draft picks and prospects for them.
This way every three years we can have a whole new team.

We NEED these two players if we are going to be successful. Why anyone in their right minds wants to trade them is beyond me.

Look at last nights game. Coach kept Dion to under 25 minutes what
happens goal, assist 5 HITS and a plus 1.

Coach admitted he was at fault against rangers not Dion.
32 minutes doesnt let Dion play his game. When he plays this
much he has to change his game, he cant hit as much or rush the puck, his two main strengths. Keep him to 25 minutes,let him play his game and he will be everthing we want him to be.

Phil is just Phil he makes other players better. He is such a threat everytime he has the puck that there is always someone open on his line and now he knows
that he doesnt have to score all the goals look how many assists he has.

Big mistake to trade these two.
Phil and Dion are the Leafs top 2 players. There are both still young. You don't get better by trading your best players. Now is a time to get them a top center to help carry the load. As long as Reimer is playing well the goaltending doesn't seem to be an issue but Phil and Dion can't be blamed for the sub-par goaltending last year. Holzner also seems to have helped Dion -- who does well with a more defensive defenceman -- since he likes to roam a bit.

It would be a mistake to trade these two thinking you are going to acquire a better sniper or dman. There simply aren't players of this caliber available.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Duffman955

Why do people want to trade Phil and Dion?

Even if you get 1st round picks and prospects, you can only hope they will become as good in 5 years.

Rather keep them and surround them with the proper cast to succeed.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Kb21

leaf fans are bipolar. i remember a week ago there was trade kessel+phaneuf posts galore, now everyone is on the wagon to resign them. i still believe kessel is unable to play vs physical playoff teams and dion doesn't produce enough points to warrant his current salary.

i wouldn't mind having the two back but the max i would do is kessel @ 6.5M/5yrs and dion at 6M/5yrs and try to get the deals done before the trade deadline.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Epictetus
Release the Hounds.

vCash: 155
Quote:
I think and hope Phaneuf will get the same deal as the one he have now. No raise and no cut, after all he was overpaid before but have stepped up his game this season. And he is also the captain, that is worth a little extra. So 6 years, $6.5m p/y.
Quote:
And it is not such a big deal to overpay a little for top d-man.
This is the kind of hindrance and mistake that the Leafs continually repeat over and over and over and over and over...

"Oh. It's just an extra million! We're rich. It's okay that you confused 'negotiation' for 'give-away free money', Mr. Phaneuf. Almost every other player does it, too. Enjoy the extra money not correlated to performance, Mr. Phaneuf!"

Signing players to bargain deals that are apart of your core and who presumably want to be in Toronto IS the goal. No more obfuscation.

Closed Thread