HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Anyone hear of expansion/merger plans for ECHL, CHL, SPHL FOR 2013-14?

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 12:51 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
I believe Bossier-Shreveport will return. I've also heard Baton Rouge and Mobile. (SPHL)
If the 'Bugs (or whoever) do return, it better not be at the CenturyTel Center. That place was the absolute death of the team. No idea where they would go to instead though. Wish the Hirsch was still operational. Rent at the CTC would have to be way lower than it was.

Much rather be in the SPHL than in the CHL. Have had too many issues with that league.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
01-23-2013, 10:14 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

vCash: 500
That must have been quite the college basketball game you attended, 99-37. LOL

Anyway as for the SPHL whats the chances that league ever becomes "AA"?

Old
01-23-2013, 02:59 PM
Frank Booth

Apparently the Central league will have a team in Brampton to replace the OHL Battalion.

http://www.newstalk1010.com/News/loc...tryID=10494058
http://www.centralhockeyleague.com/n...rticle_id=9177

Good luck with that.

Last edited by Frank Booth: 01-23-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old
01-23-2013, 03:46 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
huh.... that's unexpected.... and going to be killer to their road schedule....

Old
01-23-2013, 04:08 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
huh.... that's unexpected.... and going to be killer to their road schedule....
Shouldn't be too bad, the closest team to Brampton is Bloomington, just 982 kilometers away...

https://www.google.ca/#hl=en&safe=of...w=1366&bih=653

Think of how scenic the 9.5 hr bus ride will be.
(Sarcasm aside, is there a single league exec in all of minor-pro hockey that has half a brain as far as how to run a league?)

Old
01-23-2013, 05:31 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

It's less idiotic than I initially thought -- I thought the CenHL team would be going up against an established OHL team (http://www.battalionhockey.com/), but I'm told that OHL team is relocating to North Bay for the 2013-14 season (http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/19...h-bay-approved), leaving Brampton open for this CenHL team.

It's still complete idiocy, though.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Loosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
It's less idiotic than I initially thought -- I thought the CenHL team would be going up against an established OHL team (http://www.battalionhockey.com/), but I'm told that OHL team is relocating to North Bay for the 2013-14 season (http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/19...h-bay-approved), leaving Brampton open for this CenHL team.

It's still complete idiocy, though.
It is, the Battalion couldn't draw...and that's Major Junior hockey in Canada. Third tier minor pro is going to draw even less. I give them one year...maybe two.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

vCash: 514
Only way I can see the Central League work in Brampton is if they are affiliated with the Leafs.

As the Leafs don't have a AA level team underneath the Marlies. It could provide some depth to the Leafs farms system.

Don't get me wrong, the team will be a wash in red ink. Who knows, perhaps MLSE will buy the team once the current owner bails.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:35 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
For their sake, they better be praying that they land affiliation with Toronto.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:25 PM
battfan888

I am a Battalion STH and even I think this isnt smart.
I mean while most people in the GTA are ignorant to any non Leafs hockey they all know what the OHL is.

How many of those Leaf ignorant fans have even heard of the CHL.

A bunch of people with more money than sense.
That said I will be checking them out since I wont have a OHL hometown team to cheer for anymore.

http://hockeybrampton.com/

Old
01-24-2013, 08:09 AM
HarbinIceHogs

How about a Canadian Division in the Central Hockey League then.. I don't think a CHL team in Brampton will fly but they need opponents that are closer... I don't watch the CHL, but I'll assume they need a rink of 3000 to play in. So I purpose this Division i think you'd need 5 teams:

Brampton 525,000 pop. - Powerade Center 5000 Capacity
Brantford - 92,000 pop - Civic Centre 2981...
Newmarket - 85,000 - pop Recreation Complex 3700
Thunder Baypop 110 000 pop - Fort Williams Gardens 4600
Waterloo 100 000 pop - Memorial Rec Complex 3500/Maybe a team in Northern Michigan... Sault Ste. Marie, MI 15,000 pop - Norris Center 4000...

Maybe Even Cornwall.. but thinking realistically, one Canadian Team will not make it alone. I think a Canadian Division is its best chance, although a slim one..lol

Old
01-24-2013, 03:09 PM
PCSPounder

Someone's asking for sense in hockey?

I've gone through a bunch of league histories in the last month. Always the same story: someone desperately looking for a pro league (or something on the scale of OHL/Canadian HL) meets a pro league desperately looking to build up numbers. Whether Canada or US, this ALWAYS happens.

I even get the sense that some of the people who make these decisions are anything but ignorant of the history, then find themselves repeating them due to lack of other real options. It's easy to talk about "we should be in market X and market Y nearby," it's freaking hard to find an owner. This is, without a doubt, the lot of a hockey league and the lot of hockey fans in many given cities.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:19 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanka View Post
I would like to see Bossier-Shreveport get a club back, but how much longer will the CHL be around? Will the ECHL eventually overtake the entire 'AA' market?
I've wondered about this too.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:43 PM
paul-laus

I didn't see the ECHL all-star game as I normally do, but normally McKenna is interviewed between the second and third periods and adresses the health of the league and expansion etc. Did anybody see this? Did he even mention expansion whatsoever? I know that Wikipedia is about as insignificant a source as one could get, but wiki's ECHL page does mention a possibility of returning to a market that's been dormant the last few years. Does anyone have a clue on this? I can only think of Columbia and Reno as options here.

Is it possible that the ECHL is just waiting on the CHL to falter as in past years to poach their top franchises? I guess Witchita, Tulsa, Rapid City, Allen, and Independence would all be good options here.

And absoultely no word yet on the SPHL except the potential demise of Augusta even though their comissioner almost assured expansion of anywhere between 1 and 3 teams for 2013-14. They would have announced any expansion plans by now surely wouldn't they?

Old
02-05-2013, 07:08 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

LOL....Reno is a joke. Thats never gunna happen.

I thought Columbia returned membership?

Old
02-06-2013, 04:18 PM
paul-laus

crickets chirping huh?

Old
02-10-2013, 02:39 PM
PCSPounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
LOL....Reno is a joke. Thats never gunna happen.
There was a point in the last 18 months when Reno people found out US Olympic Committee would take 2022 Olympic bids and rumors started flying out there. It seemed like something would happen.

The problem: Reno built a ballpark and got AAA baseball. It's one of those tax increment financing deals where taxes on what they thought would be redeveloped surrounding blocks of land (just on the edge of downtown) were expected to cover the bonds that were sold. That redevelopment hasn't happened, and the agreement then has the city covering the debt and, of course, Reno can't. So the Reno Aces wins the PCL and the AAA championship game and then the owner threatens to leave unless the city covers the debt. The city actually called the bluff (not a lot of empty stadia hanging around), they're working on a new refinancing deal at this point. It's too bad, the ballpark has a certain simplicity with utility and a nice bar area, but owners be scoundrels.

So, Reno building a hockey arena after that? Probably not.

BTW, yes, Reno Events Center looks like it could accomodate hockey, and while basketball is played in the building, it (1) probably doesn't make its own ice, and (2) the concert industry is actually the primary tenant, and they want ALL the Saturdays.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:35 PM
paul-laus

If stated above is the case with almost zero chance of getting an arena built and no ice making equipment in the current arena, why continually shell out every year exobitant fees to maintain a hold on the dormant franchise. It seems like the ultimate waste of money with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:13 PM
HarbinIceHogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
BTW, yes, Reno Events Center looks like it could accomodate hockey, and while basketball is played in the building, it (1) probably doesn't make its own ice, and (2) the concert industry is actually the primary tenant, and they want ALL the Saturdays.
Sure a hockey rink could be situated in the floor area. It looks like Arena football has been set up there. But of all the info I have looked at nothing shows that there is Ice Making Equipment under that floor.

That Being said, a few hundred thousand dollars and it could be done. Money could get you anything..lol

Old
02-26-2013, 08:01 PM
paul-laus

Still nothing huh? In past years there was wayyyy more known in terms of potential expansion plans for the various leagues at this point in the season. Even last year, both San Fran and Orlando were announced by this point for the ECHL. Anyone hearing anything at all on the SPHL other than financial issues for Augusta and Columbus?

Old
03-18-2013, 12:11 AM
Paul Bunyan
Mythical Lumberjack

vCash: 411
I haven't heard any rumors, but I'm now removed from my local ECHL club, and of course they haven't held any forums this year in which we get some information leaks.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:30 AM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

vCash: 323
This is probably how to the leagues will be next year -

ECHL - 22 teams (loss Elmira) (add nobody)
CHL - 8 teams (loss Quad City, Bloomington) (add Brampton, St. Charles)
AHL - 30 teams (loss Peoria) (add Utica)
SPHL - 8 (loss Augusta)
FHL - 6? I believe they need 6 teams to have non-US citizens on rosters but expansion cities are yet to be announced possibly... (add Brookyln, New Jersey)

Old
03-20-2013, 11:18 AM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

lose Peoria? First I've heard of that, it's Abbotsford who is supposed to be moving to Utica.

Also, the CHL going to Casper, WY is still up in the air.
http://trib.com/news/local/casper/ca...d71929bd4.html

Old
03-20-2013, 03:02 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeben51 View Post
This is probably how to the leagues will be next year -

ECHL - 22 teams (loss Elmira) (add nobody)
CHL - 8 teams (loss Quad City, Bloomington) (add Brampton, St. Charles)
AHL - 30 teams (loss Peoria) (add Utica)
SPHL - 8 (loss Augusta)
FHL - 6? I believe they need 6 teams to have non-US citizens on rosters but expansion cities are yet to be announced possibly... (add Brookyln, New Jersey)
How do the Wheeling Nailers keep it going season to season? It seems like they've been on the ropes forever.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:19 PM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

vCash: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoRussianAlaskan View Post
lose Peoria? First I've heard of that, it's Abbotsford who is supposed to be moving to Utica.

Also, the CHL going to Casper, WY is still up in the air.
http://trib.com/news/local/casper/ca...d71929bd4.html
Sorry, my CHL knowledge is not too great. And for Peoria, yes. Calgary wants to move their team to Utica for next year leaving Abbotsford open for the Vancouver Canucks to put a team in there. They can't move the Wolves because they don't own them. They are looking to buy the Peoria Rivermen and move them to Abby. (Link) This leaves the Chicago Wolves unaffiliated and the St. Louis Blues would take that AHL team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergForever View Post
How do the Wheeling Nailers keep it going season to season? It seems like they've been on the ropes forever.
I give them one more year because if they were to fold at the end of this season it would leave Reading and Trenton alone in the Atlantic because of Elmira also folding. I would expect the ECHL to announce a Northeastern expansion before Wheeling folds.

Closed Thread