HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we need a heavyweight enforcer...

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Darcy Hordichuk on waivers?
Yes 21 33.87%
No 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Habs

vCash: 500
Yes, because my wife laughed at me after watching my cringe, when Gionta almost started crying last night. Then when Bourque got a gangsta slap, she fell to the floor laughing... and the final straw was watching Patches demanding a 'time out' for his biting incident.

Her reaction was worse than the score.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:37 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Should've picked up Mike Rupp when he was available, he even been known scores a few goals.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Dada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergForever View Post
Like I wrote in the GDT, If only we had kept Brad Staubitz, we wouldn't be having this discussion. He was a good fighter and became a fan favorite almost instantly.
If you find it on youtube, recently Bordeleau played with Staubitz like if it was a little doll

Old
02-10-2013, 01:46 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergForever View Post
Should've picked up Mike Rupp when he was available, he even been known scores a few goals.
rangers fans were celebrating when they got rid of him. Supposedly he's really dropped off. He used to be a guy I really wanted on the habs.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:57 PM
CPrice

I'm all for having a heavyweight enforcer but he better know how to play hockey. Problem is these players are hard to find. Prust is an example of it, but hes not exactly a heavyweight.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Native

i wouldn't object to having a true heavyweight enforcer, like a macintyre. when he's in the lineup, you can just cycle his spot amongst a few guys, so they get extra time (the gallys, eller, etc).

he's there. it keeps the opponent honest and mindful that if they try something, they'll pay for it.

however, i believe in addition to that, we need to bolster the lineup with more players that are, themselves, physically capable to endure and with skill. we need to progress along that manner.

we're small down the middle. small on D. i realize we're trying to build with youth. however, in the meantime, i believe we should make a couple moves just to fill the gap for the meantime.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:12 PM
SouthernHab

The **** stains of the Gainey and Gauthier era will take another year or so to be erased.

Our D is too small. Our forwards are still too small. And Bergevin thought that adding Prust and Armstrong would beef up this team.

White made it into the doghouse and probably will not be coming out any time soon and last night happened.

Thank goodness that I was out having fun at Mardi Gras and did not have to witness this fiasco.

Something needs to be done. The Gauthier fans will not be happy but last night should be a wakeup call.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:14 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Might as well tank the season in style, and sacrifice some of the non-existant offensive game minutes towards some fighting and "intimidation" or whatever.

Maybe next year, once Managment is done with this 5th grade "play like a team, no excuses" they'll finally be able to add some substance and strategic planning to this team and maybe work on facets of the game, like puck possession, to actually make this team play some hockey.

This team lacks offensive talent and defensive d-men.
In the mean time, fill em up with White-type scrubs, and bring in a big goon to avenge the fans extremely sensitive feelings, and top 3 2013 draft pick is in the bag.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Moen, Armstrong, Cole, Paccioretty, Bourque, Eller... that's half our forward corp right there, and most are above average size.
You're either being deliberately obtuse or you don't know much about fighting in hockey.

Erik Cole has 7 fights in 713 games and he's yet to win one.

Bourque has 5 fights in 481 games.

Pacioretty has 3 fights in 209 games. All of them terrible.

Armstrong has 14 fights in 450 games and has won ONE.

Moen was the only guy that could have provided any kind of response. And he didn't...

Old
02-10-2013, 02:20 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Also, problem with having scrubs like Prust, armstrong, and white on the team, is that they agitate the other team, while not delivering whatsoever in the fighting department. Just gives opposing team a reason to try and beat us down.

If we had offensive talent on this team, the opposing team would be to busy trying to play hockey instead of trying to make it a goon show. But considering Habs can't do either, the habs "agitators" are just amplifying everything.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:24 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Might as well tank the season in style, and sacrifice some of the non-existant offensive game minutes towards some fighting and "intimidation" or whatever.

Maybe next year, once Managment is done with this 5th grade "play like a team, no excuses" they'll finally be able to add some substance and strategic planning to this team and maybe work on facets of the game, like puck possession, to actually make this team play some hockey.

This team lacks offensive talent and defensive d-men.
In the mean time, fill em up with White-type scrubs, and bring in a big goon to avenge the fans extremely sensitive feelings, and top 3 2013 draft pick is in the bag.
You dont get it. You never will get it.

I expect responses like this from the Gauthier die hards.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:26 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
Yes we need a heavyweight that's obvious, we get pushed around and we lose, whens the last time we got pushed around but still won the game? It doesn't happen, there is a reason teams still have fighters. If the team was run by smart people they would of signed zenon konopka the last 2 years, he would be our best faceoff man and a heavyweight fighter but that makes too much sense I guess
Konopka is merely a middleweight who excels at the FO circle but yeah at least he would have dropped them for sure last night instead of running back to the bench like Moen and Armstrong did.

I still blame Gainey and Gauthier for building this *****cat dolls.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:27 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Also, problem with having scrubs like Prust, armstrong, and white on the team, is that they agitate the other team, while not delivering whatsoever in the fighting department. Just gives opposing team a reason to try and beat us down.

If we had offensive talent on this team, the opposing team would be to busy trying to play hockey instead of trying to make it a goon show. But considering Habs can't do either, the habs "agitators" are just amplifying everything.
Translation.

Please do not hit me. I will be nice. But please do not hit me.

Do you think that you would have seen a different outcome from Orr, Mclaren or Grabovski last night if the score was Montreal 6 and Toronto 0?

This has happened since the dawn of man. The strong will always prey on the weak. You can either be a ***** and take it or you can get stronger and fight back.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:29 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
You're either being deliberately obtuse or you don't know much about fighting in hockey.

Erik Cole has 7 fights in 713 games and he's yet to win one.

Bourque has 5 fights in 481 games.

Pacioretty has 3 fights in 209 games. All of them terrible.

Armstrong has 14 fights in 450 games and has won ONE.

Moen was the only guy that could have provided any kind of response. And he didn't...
don't waste your time with him, he's a anti-fighting fan

Old
02-10-2013, 02:32 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dada View Post
If you find it on youtube, recently Bordeleau played with Staubitz like if it was a little doll
I guess when it comes down to it Patrick Bordeleau would be the perfect candidate for the role, 6'6/230 and a home town boy to boot...its a shame he's Colorado's new full-time enforcer, I doubt they'd want to give him up at this point.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:33 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Translation.

Please do not hit me. I will be nice. But please do not hit me.

Do you think that you would have seen a different outcome from Orr, Mclaren or Grabovski last night if the score was Montreal 6 and Toronto 0?

This has happened since the dawn of man. The strong will always prey on the weak. You can either be a ***** and take it or you can get stronger and fight back.

The leafs goons were on the ice to protect themselves from MTL agitators taking cheap shots at the leafs from being butt hurt their team sucks offensively, and physically. They wouldn't be on the ice if the leafs were coming from behind.

It's good, your level of understanding coaching is as high as MT's

Made mistake to respond to you, but we all know your old timer, who sees things things in black and white, needs to be simple, and has no will to change your beliefs.

Cheers, talk to you sometime when Habs start playing some real hockey, and fanbase talks about goals and wins, instead of fights and size.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:36 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
The leafs goons were on the ice to protect themselves from MTL agitators taking cheap shots at the leafs from being butt hurt their team sucks offensively, and physically. They wouldn't be on the ice if the leafs were coming from behind.

It's good, your level of understanding coaching is as high as MT's
Messages are sent whether you win or lose.

I see that your level of understanding is on par with Jacques Martin.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:40 PM
izzy75

Quote:
Your entire post is bang-on. Even Prust, who'll drop 'em with anyone, does not spook opposing players/fighters. White's crazy, but he ain't doing **** with Orr et al. Moen? Please.

Ah... the annual beat-down... Boston, now Toronto. We are, and will be for sometime, a pathetic team

Old
02-10-2013, 02:41 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Messages are sent whether you win or lose.

I see that your level of understanding is on par with Jacques Martin.
JM actually had a strategy. Actually understood what puck possession was and tried to apply a system using it.

Which is quite an improving over.....

Can anyone actually tell me what MT's system is? Does he actually have a plan? Or did he get hierd simply because he met with MB and told him "Ey, on joue fort icit. On jour ensemble icit. Po d'excuse, y von comprendre le message, la 1erme fois, ou la 2eme fois, la 3em, 4em fois"

Old
02-10-2013, 02:54 PM
habsroom

Yes of course we need to have a heavyweight enforcer if we want to win games against Boston/Flyers/Buffalo/Leafs/Islanders. I just don't understand why any Habs fan could say that they like to see teams like Boston and Toronto beat the ***** out of the non fighters on the team. How stupid could anyone be to sign Prust 6 feet 195 at best for 2.5 million and except him to fight guys that are 50+ pounds bigger than him? Prust is a great bottom 6 forward and he was a great signing but you have to protect Prust from himself he has the heart of a lion and he will fight heavyweights every night but as a HABS fan and a Prust fan I hate to see that happen. Prust will get hurt fighting these monsters and we will lose him for the year. It is only a matter of time before guys like Gorges and the other non fighters also get hurt. We could have lost gorges (fighting MacLaren) Bourgue (fighting Orr) last night. WAKE UP HABS FANS AND MANAGEMENT GO GET A GUY LIKE Matt Kassian.

Old
02-10-2013, 03:01 PM
icerocket

Of course the Habs need a heavyweight enforcer. With a guy like big John Scott on the Habs there would have been hell to pay.

Old
02-10-2013, 03:08 PM
izzy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsroom View Post
Prust will get hurt fighting....
Two beat-downs later, and people still don't get it. Mark my words, it's going to have to get worse before someone says: "Enough!". It's incredible that some people feel we haven't been shamed into this already.

Old
02-10-2013, 03:12 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy75 View Post
Two beat-downs later, and people still don't get it. Mark my words, it's going to have to get worse before someone says: "Enough!". It's incredible that some people feel we haven't been shamed into this already.
We still have a long way to go with some fans.

They still think that Martin and Gauthier were an effective tandem. And those two preached and believed in peace through receiving a very good ass whipping whenever anyone wanted to dole one out.

Old
02-10-2013, 03:14 PM
deandebean

Yes we need a heavyweight. No doubt. Always had one in the old days, always need one.

Old
02-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Well, Frazer McLaren will presumably be back on waivers again once Brown returns for the Leafs, right? You guys can campaign for claiming him. He looked big against Gorges, not sure that he has too much of a heavyweight rep beyond that, but he's likely to be available for nothing.

Closed Thread