HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

XII | "C-C-C-COLUMBO BREAKER" | Oilers @ BJs | 2.10.13 | 4:00PM MT | SNET-W

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 02:21 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Or if the "veterans" didnt constantly snob him on the PP..Yakupov is a bit like Stamkos, you gotta get him the puck and he Will wire it home..he's not unselfish but the most unselfish thing he can do for this team is to be Selfish with the puck..
You think Adam Oates got upset with Brett Hull when Hull didnt pass it back? Not a chance
If you put him on the point with Shultz, he'll get the puck.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Man, you have a lot of posts either defending Hemsky or pumping him up. I don't think that he or RNH have been all that effective on the PP especially lately.
Hemsky just like RNH has been holding on to the puck too long or is trying high risk passes. I don't see him being a much better option, i would rather see RNH try to work through his struggles

As for the D pairings. I'm not sure why Krueger basically promoted Potter. He is now going to get more important minutes against tougher competiton playing with Smid, could be a disaster. I don't understand the infactuation with Potter, it's baffling.
I understand that Petry has been struggling but i would rather that he and Smid get an opportunity to work through their struggles.
Just trying to balance out all the unwarranted hate for this player. I'd spend time doing the same for Hall and Gagner as well but that'd be a full time job I think Hemsky looks better on the right half boards rather than the left, at least in the couple instances he's been put there on the #1 PP unit this season. Though, getting away from Whitney helps as well, I'm sure. Either option (RNH or Hemsky) works for me, I just figure if Kreuger is gonna mix and match lines, he might as well mix and match on the PP as well to try and get it going.

And completely agree on Potter. This reminds me of MacTavish's infatuation with Toby Petersen.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:25 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Sent down to the minors.
Blue Jackets suppose starting lineup from the O.P. and the Jackets board

Prospal-Anisimov-Letestu
Umberger-Brassard-Dorsett
Calvert-Dubinsky-Foligno
Gillies-MacKenzie-Boll

Johnson-Wisniewski
Tyutin-Nikitin
Erixon-Goloubef
Ok, well EBs isn't allowed to fight anyone on that Roster...I guess Gagner could beat up Foligno though.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
do you have a kid?
if yes, will you forbid him/her to be happy if Oilers win today?
You stated that to a pretty balanced poster who I've seen maintain positivity when the whole board blows up but who maintains a realistic viewpoint.

A win against Columbus, and success scoring, would be no more indicative then beating up on some of the AHL patsies earlier this season.

Its what this club does in most of the games against reasonable squads that is more indicative.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:34 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Ok, well EBs isn't allowed to fight anyone on that Roster...I guess Gagner could beat up Foligno though.
I wish we had their blueline...

Old
02-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Reason why RNH isnt producing is because he's been stuck in between two fancy boyz trying to dangle each time they get the puck wanting to be on tsns highlight of the night but in the end they end up looking no better than O'Sullivan and Robert Niilson..
Last year Hall and Eberle were just trying to score, to win..this year all the hype seems to have gone to their heads..

RNH is playing great defensively and trying to keep it simple offensively but both his linemates have their heads way to far up where they shouldnt be..
Theyre young, it happens...but they need to remember what it took to put up those points last year, the highlight reel goals came as a result of hard work, doing whatever it took to score..

I like RNH and Yak together becausr both players have been just trying to help the team..sure Yak looks as lil lost here and there but its not because a lack of effort, hes a rookie and hes improving each game...
I like all our players, and understand they are very young..young and talented is usually attached with egos..if Yak puts up 20 goals this year he may be tryin to be overly pretty next year like hall and Eberle are this year..

All they need to do is shoot more, create more traffic, get some garbage goals..

Loved Eberle's effort yesterday against Datsyuk..there he reminded me of the Eberle of last season...

I also remember Eberle starting off slow last year, then once he got hot everythin went in..

Right now J.Willis is lovin Eberles low shooting %...I think today it changes for the better..
If not, I've got 12 beers to cover the pain.
What basic fallacy.

Somehow in your universe Hall and Eberle are holding RNH down despite each having twice as many pts as RNH and actually, you know, scoring goals while RNH is flubbing anything coming his way and hasn't scored a goal in his last 21 games.

Last edited by DaveG: 02-10-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: unnecessary
Old
02-10-2013, 02:36 PM
SDig14

It's funny, Columbus beats Detroit, Detroit beats us, and then Detroit beats the defending Stanley Cup Champs (who we also beat as well).

Where does that leave Columbus vs. Edmonton?

The only thing I know is if we take this team lightly this game is going to get ugly and very quick IMO.

They skate and hit hard, despite not being very tatented.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Asher

The lines changes make sense to me. Whether or not they work is another story... we'll see.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:37 PM
OilCity

Pretty excited for the second line of Yaks-Nuge-Ebs. Hopefully RNH can end his dry streak and score one (or a few!) today. Today is a must win.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I'm not saying that he won't start scoring goals (I mean, look at his slow start last year) but right now we're paying for all of our unsustainable shooting percentage quips regarding Eberle. Par for the course in OilerLand.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
If Whitney is out, I really hope Schultz gets to play on both power play units.

Potter has horrible offensive instincts and single handily ruined half of a power play in the Dallas game.
I don't know why they won't give Petry a shot. Isn't he supposed to be a somewhat offensive player?

Old
02-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Great One

I'm actually a little disappointed Kreuger decided to sit Whitney tonight. I've been on Whitney's case as much as anyone else this year but I think he actually played decent last night. Definitely his best game of the year. I would have been happier to sit Potter and see how Whitney responds to not being a total scrub for one game.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:41 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

vCash: 50
I'm betting 100 v cash on the oilers until I win or lose all my v cash not sure which will come first

Old
02-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
do you have a kid?
if yes, will you forbid him/her to be happy if Oilers win today?
That's brilliant!

Old
02-10-2013, 02:51 PM
TopCookie

3-0 oil. Dubnyk with the shutout

Old
02-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Enlighten

Big breakout game coming today I feel it. 7-2 oil 😀

Old
02-10-2013, 02:55 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
What basic fallacy.

Somehow in your universe Hall and Eberle are holding RNH down despite each having twice as many pts as RNH and actually, you know, scoring goals while RNH is flubbing anything coming his way and hasn't scored a goal in his last 21 games.

How you came to your conclusion is beyond comprehension. You got it entirely bassackwards.
RNH is half the reason Hall and Eberle have those points cuz he's saving their ass in the defensive zone, which a good center should do..

Most of Hall and Eberle's points have come on the PP..5 on 5 their play leaves alot to be desired right now..RNH as always is doing all the little things right, if the other two were more concerned about doing the little things right and less about trying to make fancy dancy moves all the time this team might have a few more even strength goals..

Old
02-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Lessy

A few thoughts...

-As bad as Whitney has been this year, Potter has been worse. This includes yesterday against the Wings. HF loves to pick on Whitney (and rightfully so) because of his contract and because he is supposed to be much better than what he's played like to this point. I don't see how Potter has played any better than him though and the thing with Potter is he has no game to find. Whitney at least has some upside and can make a decent outlet pass. They are both horrible NHL players at this point but I'd question anyone who thinks Potter is a better option than Whitney straight up at this point.

-Surprised how many people are blaming our PP shortcomings on RNH. Against Detroit I saw a team that struggled to get their powerplay setup because of terrible puck support. Teams are going to key in and force us to shoot the puck in which is fine. It's inexcusable however to have the puck shot in and one Oiler going to retrieve it against 2 PKers and that happened multiple times yesterday. For as dangerous as we are when we get it setup we're equally awful obtaining possession on our dump-ins. The whole purpose of the extra skater is to use him to outman the opposition on those shoot-ins and when we have one guy on the puck with four players watching from the perimeter you're going to get a powerplay that struggles and it's certainly not RNH's fault.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
poor, Yak, from one set of anchors to another.
Ebs is a sniper as well, but i think this line can get going. Ebs and RNH likes to pass the puck and im pretty sure Yaks will be getting the puck more... RNH and Ebs could heal the bleeding with the somewhat suspect defensive play with Yakupov and that should = a scary ass line... lets hope atleast.

Old
02-10-2013, 03:00 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
I don't like that Smid and Petry were broken up.

I hope they settle their differences soon and kiss and makeup.
You forgot the I hope.

Old
02-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
RNH is half the reason Hall and Eberle have those points cuz he's saving their ass in the defensive zone, which a good center should do..

Most of Hall and Eberle's points have come on the PP..5 on 5 their play leaves alot to be desired right now..RNH as always is doing all the little things right, if the other two were more concerned about doing the little things right and less about trying to make fancy dancy moves all the time this team might have a few more even strength goals..
You specifically posted that Hall and Eberle were holding back RNH's production. Everything in your post was staing that. Now you're moving the goal posts and talking about defence?

How about admitting you're wrong?

Old
02-10-2013, 03:12 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

This needs to be added somewhere in the OP :

Old
02-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
A few thoughts...

-As bad as Whitney has been this year, Potter has been worse. This includes yesterday against the Wings. HF loves to pick on Whitney (and rightfully so) because of his contract and because he is supposed to be much better than what he's played like to this point. I don't see how Potter has played any better than him though and the thing with Potter is he has no game to find. Whitney at least has some upside and can make a decent outlet pass. They are both horrible NHL players at this point but I'd question anyone who thinks Potter is a better option than Whitney straight up at this point.

-Surprised how many people are blaming our PP shortcomings on RNH. Against Detroit I saw a team that struggled to get their powerplay setup because of terrible puck support. Teams are going to key in and force us to shoot the puck in which is fine. It's inexcusable however to have the puck shot in and one Oiler going to retrieve it against 2 PKers and that happened multiple times yesterday. For as dangerous as we are when we get it setup we're equally awful obtaining possession on our dump-ins. The whole purpose of the extra skater is to use him to outman the opposition on those shoot-ins and when we have one guy on the puck with four players watching from the perimeter you're going to get a powerplay that struggles and it's certainly not RNH's fault.
Its certainly not RNH's fault that every other topsix forward on the club has in the range of 4, 5, 6 5 on 4 pts. and RNH has one sole second assist.

Or that he hasn't scored ANY goals in 21 GP.

Must be bad luck, aberration,

Old
02-10-2013, 03:19 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great One View Post
I'm actually a little disappointed Kreuger decided to sit Whitney tonight. I've been on Whitney's case as much as anyone else this year but I think he actually played decent last night. Definitely his best game of the year. I would have been happier to sit Potter and see how Whitney responds to not being a total scrub for one game.
Scouts might have seen something they liked, he could be getting shipped out of town.

Old
02-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Countdown to full blown meltdown.
Yup, if we lose to the Jackets the PGT will look like this

Closed Thread