Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

The Official Jaromir Jagr Discussion Thread

Old
02-09-2013, 07:53 AM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I watch all the Flyers games - I don't usually follow the Stars, but am watching occasional Stars games due to Jagr.

Announcer last night said that Jagr leads the Stars in points. I wasn't aware of that before, and he may have been wrong. I don't know. But, it seems to be true if they said it.

Anyway - why come to a pro jagr thread and ***** so much? Just to be a jerk? You are obviously making repeated trips...

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:12 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalay Industries View Post
Once again Jagr-fans wakes up every ten games when the old man pops a couple of points just to vanish again for the next nine games.

I don't mind Jagr, but I do mind Jagrgodr's ability to keep talking about Jagr as if he was still the best player in the world.

He WAS one of the very best players for many years, so all I'm saying is: He is NOT one of the best players anymore. And I'm not one to rave about it everytime he leaves the ice without points, but Jagrgodr sure keeps raving about every shot Jagr has on goal and every nice pass he does, and I just can't stand that unrealistic attitude. That's all.

I would love for him to be realistic about Jagr just ONCE.
We all voted last night and Jagrgodr's enthusiasm won in a landslide over your crotchetiness. Jagrgodr doesn't need a personal troll in this forum.

Jagr is having a positive impact on the organization by helping boost interest, and he's having a positive impact on the team. Even Brenden Morrow is using some of Jagr's training techniques.

No need to piss in our wheaties over a personal vendetta. Dallas fans, for the most part, understand what we're getting from a 40 year old Jagr, and it's much better than some of the players Dallas has rolled out in recent history.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:08 AM
jagrgodr

Well thanks for showing up in this thread, i've been twiddling my thumbs waiting for you. Now i can talk about how great Jagr is right now :-D

If you look at the stats, he is the best Stars forward right now. You can make a case for Benn, and i would almost agree. He leads the team in points, tied for 1st in assists, #2 in +/- (best forward) and leads in shots.

Yes Jagr is old, but guess what? He can still produce. If he stays healthy and doesn't get injured he is a point per game player. I know it's hard for you to believe it since you have so much hate for Jagr for some reason, but i'm sorry to tell you he can still do it.

8 points in 11 games while having ZERO time to build chemistry with the first line while entering a new division with a crazy amount of travel time and he is almost at a point per game, that is pretty damn good.

Anyways thanks for posting, i look forward to reading more posts.

OH WAIT: I HAVE AN IMAGE THAT I COULD POST THAT WOULD BE A BETTER RESPONSE!

Last edited by jagrgodr: 02-09-2013 at 09:14 AM.
jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:19 AM
jagrgodr

And here is one more image i wanted to post a few days ago but forgot:

Anyways, i am a realistic person and i know that Jagr isn't 25 anymore but it just blows my mind and makes me so happy to see Jagr still produce at his age. Yesterday i had such a huge smile on my face watching the game because its just so special what him and Teemu are doing. They are two of the greatest europeans ever to play the game, from almost 20 years ago and here they are today. Some rule changes in the league have made it easy for them to produce at their age so to me, i don't see why Jagr or Selanne can continue for another year or two. I mean hell, Selanne playled all 82 games last year! Jagr is averaging 18-20 minutes a game while Teemu is playing around 14-16, so there is no reason to assume if Jagr stays healthy he could play another year or two and possibly for the Stars.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:38 AM
BigG44

It would be very cool to see and celebrate another guy break 700 goals. That was a ton of fun watching Brett Hull break 700. If he could get 10 or 12 more at least this year, you'd have to think there was a chance he could reach it next season.

I'm not paricularly confident Dallas would re-sign him though. I think more than likely the situation could play out like Souray where they offered him more money than anyone else to get him on the ice and then played hardball with the 2nd contract.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalay Industries View Post
Once again Jagr-fans wakes up every ten games when the old man pops a couple of points just to vanish again for the next nine games.

I don't mind Jagr, but I do mind Jagrgodr's ability to keep talking about Jagr as if he was still the best player in the world.

He WAS one of the very best players for many years, so all I'm saying is: He is NOT one of the best players anymore. And I'm not one to rave about it everytime he leaves the ice without points, but Jagrgodr sure keeps raving about every shot Jagr has on goal and every nice pass he does, and I just can't stand that unrealistic attitude. That's all.

I would love for him to be realistic about Jagr just ONCE.
I know some of his fans have difficulty being realistic.

He's not one of the very best in the world any more, at least not over a full season. However, he's still a "star" (and not just a Dallas "Star") in the sense that he puts people in the seats, draws double and triple coverage, and still has amazing skill and the ability to take over games from time to time. What has yet to be answered is whether, when healthy, he can still take over a couple games in a playoff series.

I just wonder what fun it is to rain on the parade of the fans of Jagr and Dallas Stars? If you were a Stars fan, I could understand, but you were similarly vigilant about pointing out Jagr's weaknesses when he was with the Flyers.

I do think Giroux's performance this year is relevant, although it can also be attributed to missing Hartnell, off-season surgery, and "regression to the mean." Still, Jagr has a history of making good players look even better: Francis (who had his best seasons in his 30s), Straka, Nylander (signed a big contract with Caps in his late 30s after '07), Giroux, and I wouldn't be surprised if Benn had his best PPG season (despite being a late arrival). He also has a history of getting his team to the playoffs. When Jagr leaves a team, they often struggle (Pens collapsed, Rangers missed playoffs or couldn't get past first round, Flyers struggling this season).

We should be realistic. I think Jagr and Dallas fans would be happy with ~PPG and making the playoffs, so that should be the goal.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:51 PM
jagrgodr

Jagr just updated his facebook, written in czech and the google translation did a bad job. To sum it up, tough schedule, excited about their current style that has won them 3 straight due to good defense and goaltending

Hi HR.Po demanding 2-3 weeks, where we played the most games of the NHL, now was a small loophole in our draw. Three days of not playing hockey match. Miracle I wonder where the comrades from the GDR made ​​a mistake Well, although I do not know where, but especially her udělali.Aspoň have more time to write a few lines to Facebook.Poslední three games we won. I do not want to jinx it, but I think we have found a style that our team svědčí.Není's flawless style, is a handsome style, but it's "OUR" styl.Je a game based on militancy, defense, good goalies and excellent play at mantinelů.Není that no risky hockey up-down, where it falls to the lot of goals that we both strany.Na team and this game would be difficult to beat someone. I hope that we continue to be a success as in the past due to GM and zápasech.Hlavně trenérům.Jsou's very nice lidé.U them is another proof that even without screaming and threatening can have enormous respect.

read more here:

https://www.facebook.com/68Jagr

-----

Yeah i would be very happy with Jagr at a PPG. He (and the team) had a slow start due to the crazy scheduling but i think he has found chemistry with Benn and they will start clicking.

It is interesting that Jagr has played over 20:00 minutes in the last 3 games, i wonder if this will continue or if they will try to use him less. I would be so happy to see him averaging 20:00+ minutes a game for most of the season and i know he would too. He hinted at not enjoying playing 14-16 minutes with the Flyers, he said that it was hard to stay focused and ready when sitting on the bench 8-10 minutes at a time. I guess it's just a question of him being able to handle the minutes over the season, should be interesting.

Last edited by jagrgodr: 02-10-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old
02-10-2013, 03:13 PM
English stars fan

His comments on coaching are interesting. Respect for Gully, a big old dig at Laviolette or a bit of both?

English stars fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:46 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by English stars fan View Post
His comments on coaching are interesting. Respect for Gully, a big old dig at Laviolette or a bit of both?
Probably a bit of both, but he does seem to have respect for Gulutzan. Someone will have to help my out, but I think it was a game broadcast -can't remember who said it though, that Jagr told the coach he wanted to buy in more on the defensive side of the puck. I have to admit he backchecks much more than I would have anticipated, and he's made several notable plays backchecking. I don't know if that's Gully or if that's just a part of Jagr's game I haven't noticed because I didn't watch his games every night.

If the guy with the most star power on the team buy in, it's going to be much easier to when over the rest of the group though.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:15 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Someone will have to help my out, but I think it was a game broadcast -can't remember who said it though, that Jagr told the coach he wanted to buy in more on the defensive side of the puck. I have to admit he backchecks much more than I would have anticipated, and he's made several notable plays backchecking. I don't know if that's Gully or if that's just a part of Jagr's game I haven't noticed because I didn't watch his games every night.
yeah, i recall ralph/razor discussing this a while back. they specifically mentioned gulutzan saying how jagr had a tendency to drift and do wide turns vs stop-and-go maneuvers when transitioning between offense and defense. so credit to gulutzan in this case. and jagr for buying in and setting an example.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:05 AM
livewell68

His overall play, fitness and speed are better than last season but he needs to shoot more on net. He still has a lethal release and I think if he starts to shoot more rather than try and defer to Benn, it might actually open the ice up for Benn. It would be a lot harder to stop 2 players who can score and dish.

Jagr should also use his shot more on the powerplay. I think he's trying to get other players involved and boost their confidence but with him shooting more, it opens the ice up for every one else.

It's nice to see that a soon to be 41 year old can still handle 20 minutes a game.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:05 PM
English stars fan

As well as his play on the ice, there is another great thing about Jagr being on the team. Incredible leadership.

Quote:
@DallasStars Jagr on the ice at 11:30 pm working drills joined by young Tomas Vincour! #leader #hardwork pic.twitter.com/gApm8r9T

https://twitter.com/bdougherty1102/s...79005403009024

English stars fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:33 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Again, though, if I were Vincour (or pretty much any of our players), I'd do anything I could to be on the ice as much as possible with Jagr.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Again, though, if I were Vincour (or pretty much any of our players), I'd do anything I could to be on the ice as much as possible with Jagr.
It would be great if Jagr could help Vincour's game.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:21 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
i love how jagr embraces helping other players improve. there's a lot of stars that are very talented, but seem too good to waste their time with less talented schmucks.

i don't know how true it is, but modano always gave me the too cool to waste time with the kids vibe.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
i love how jagr embraces helping other players improve. there's a lot of stars that are very talented, but seem too good to waste their time with less talented schmucks.

i don't know how true it is, but modano always gave me the too cool to waste time with the kids vibe.
Fact.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:22 PM
jagrgodr

I think his biggest problem with Lavi was his limited TOI. He averaged 16:20 over the full season last year. He only had 15 minutes average TOI in the playoffs, but i dont remember if he was injured in the playoffs or not.

I think he also had a problem with how he was shuffled around after returning from his injury from the winter classic, he really declined in points after that. He was reduced to the 2nd line and off the top power play unit for most of the end of the season and it looked like if he resigned with the flyers he would have been put on the 2nd line.

I personally hated Lavi's coaching style. He insisted on running 4 lines and almost ALWAYS ran them in order, which would drive me absolutely crazy. There would be TV timeouts with the 3rd line out there before the break, and when they came back from break he would put out the 4th line when it was obvious that the 1st line was well rested and ready to go. When you had arguably the best 1st line in the league last year, why in the hell would you want to roll 4 lines equally?!? And on top of that, he would almost always burn the timeout in the first 10 minutes of the game and he put Jagr in front of the net on the PP. It was a brutal season to watch honestly and i was glad he didn't go back.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:27 PM
jagrgodr

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
His overall play, fitness and speed are better than last season but he needs to shoot more on net. He still has a lethal release and I think if he starts to shoot more rather than try and defer to Benn, it might actually open the ice up for Benn. It would be a lot harder to stop 2 players who can score and dish.

Jagr should also use his shot more on the powerplay. I think he's trying to get other players involved and boost their confidence but with him shooting more, it opens the ice up for every one else.

It's nice to see that a soon to be 41 year old can still handle 20 minutes a game.
I think he is doing a great job of shooting, i think he is just getting unlucky. He is also doing the beaver tap A LOT in the last 2-3 games, so that is a great sign. I think the back injury from the 2nd game slowed him down, along with no Benn early on so i think he will be okay. He is leading the team in shots and he is getting some good looks on the powerplay.

It is too bad he is with Morrow though. I really disliked watching Hartnell get success off him and Giroux, so i am kind of disappointed to see morrow on the line with Benn & Jagr, maybe when Whitney returns they will try someone else besides morrow :-D

Old
02-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
That was one of the first thoughts I had when we brought Jags in, that he'd light a fire under Vincour's ass and we'd see more offense coming from our young forward as he develops chemistry with his fellow countryman who also happens to be a living hockey legend.

Doesn't seem like Vinny's earned the minutes yet, though, but hopefully he gets a closer look in coming games.

02-12-2013, 10:41 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
Hopefully his minutes will rise as he continues to play regularly on the 3rd line. It's a pretty big step for him. It didn't exactly look like he was in a great position to claim such spot going into the season.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

And with tonight's goal, Jagr breaks the tie with Lucky Luc!

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
And with tonight's goal, Jagr breaks the tie with Lucky Luc!
Congrats old man

Lesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:30 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Just got back from the Stars/Sharks game. Cool to be there and see Jagr score a goal

Old
02-24-2013, 09:58 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

My camera sucks, and he just kept moving during the warmup. Never stopped near me to get a good pic. But here is a photo from the warmup...

Old
02-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Still a decent shot!

Good seats too, from the looks of it.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote