HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My ideas for changing the Oilers

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2003, 08:25 PM
elphy101

vCash: 500
My ideas for changing the Oilers

Alright I know this will be knocked around but in the interest of the organization, I think this should happen.

To Buffalo

Jason Smith

To Edmonton

Andy Delmore
Mika Noronen

Delmore is sitting in Buffalo. He can't play defense but dammit the Oilers need a pointshot on the powerplay. Delmore can shoot from the point. I miss the days when Hamrlik/Arnott would tee it up from the point and Smyth would tip it in. That is what the Oilers are missing.

Get Noronen now. He is starting to play well in Buffalo, get him before Biron gets dealt and Noronen becomes the #1 goalie. I would love to see a Conklin/Noronen tandem until one emerges as a bonafide #1. It can't be any worse than Salo.

I think the Oil should bite the bullet on Salo, try to give him away and if you can't send him to Toronto. Noronen would only add 550K to the budget, so not much difference if Salo is still getting his money on the farm.

Losing Smith hurts, but we need to develop our younger players and his 2.3 Million and soon upcoming UFA status will only decrease his value. I think Ethan Moreau or Ryan Smyth should be captain anyways. Smith does not strike me as the leader of the team.

While they are at it. Demote/Trade Ferguson in a little while anyways. Let's give Wowitka a shot soon, he is supposed to be close according to some Flyers fans.

Old
12-16-2003, 08:34 PM
gretzky2kurri

Ryan Smyth as captain?

That would surprise me.

Old
12-16-2003, 08:34 PM
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
Alright I know this will be knocked around but in the interest of the organization, I think this should happen.

To Buffalo

Jason Smith

To Edmonton

Andy Delmore
Mika Noronen

Delmore is sitting in Buffalo. He can't play defense but dammit the Oilers need a pointshot on the powerplay. Delmore can shoot from the point. I miss the days when Hamrlik/Arnott would tee it up from the point and Smyth would tip it in. That is what the Oilers are missing.

Get Noronen now. He is starting to play well in Buffalo, get him before Biron gets dealt and Noronen becomes the #1 goalie. I would love to see a Conklin/Noronen tandem until one emerges as a bonafide #1. It can't be any worse than Salo.

I think the Oil should bite the bullet on Salo, try to give him away and if you can't send him to Toronto. Noronen would only add 550K to the budget, so not much difference if Salo is still getting his money on the farm.

Losing Smith hurts, but we need to develop our younger players and his 2.3 Million and soon upcoming UFA status will only decrease his value. I think Ethan Moreau or Ryan Smyth should be captain anyways. Smith does not strike me as the leader of the team.

While they are at it. Demote/Trade Ferguson in a little while anyways. Let's give Wowitka a shot soon, he is supposed to be close according to some Flyers fans.
Its good value for Smith but it would really hurt our blueline and I believe we would also miss his leadership.

I like the idea of adding Delmore to the Oilers for mid pick. Buffalo acquired Delmore for only a 3rd round pick and he's been a bust for them so a mid round pick looks reasonable.

Old
12-16-2003, 08:38 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Ryan Smyth as captain?

That would surprise me.
Okay, your right about Ryan Smyth. Last year I felt differently but this year, he just doesn't seem to be playing at the same level.

I sure would like Moreau as Captain though.

Old
12-16-2003, 08:40 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Okay, your right about Ryan Smyth. Last year I felt differently but this year, he just doesn't seem to be playing at the same level.

It's no so much about "how he's playing". Smyth is good at alot of things and is THE true blue modern day Oiler. But he's just not the vocal leader type. It's not a slight against him, just his personality.

Old
12-16-2003, 08:48 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:

S.Staois
M.York
E.Moreau

all deserve captaincy before Smyth IMO.

Old
12-16-2003, 09:00 PM
speeds

Quote:
To Buffalo

Jason Smith

To Edmonton

Andy Delmore
Mika Noronen
Don't like it.

What's the point of Delmore? If you move Smith you are giving up on the year (in itself not a bad idea IMO) so why not get younger than Delmore. Kalinin, Tallinder, those kind of guys instead of Delmore. Who wants the other D to learn how to become a terrible defensive defenceman?

Old
12-16-2003, 09:15 PM
The Rage

Could we get Noronen? He seems to have become the number one in Buffalo. I guess we could definately get either him or Biron, no way the Sabres can keep both of them, especially with Ryan Miller in the minors. And who else needs a goalie other than us? I think Biron, though, is most likely to get delt, and probably to the Oilers, but only in the off season (Salo's staying put for now).

Old
12-16-2003, 09:50 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
Don't like it.

What's the point of Delmore? If you move Smith you are giving up on the year (in itself not a bad idea IMO) so why not get younger than Delmore. Kalinin, Tallinder, those kind of guys instead of Delmore. Who wants the other D to learn how to become a terrible defensive defenceman?
Mainly, the Oilers could not get Kalinin for Smith straight. Tallinder probably but he's not that good imo.

The Oilers have done an amazing job turning useless rejected defensemen into solid players. Turning Delmore would be an amazing achievement but even now he would help to turn around a brutal powerplay.

I don't think the Oilers defensively would suffer for very long. Eventually your guys have to get NHL experience. Staois, Brewer, Cross, and Semenov are all solid guys capable of being in the top 4. Wowitka, Bergeron, Delmore and Ferguson could fight for the 5th/6th spots. It doesn't seem that bad to me. Okay it is bad, but why not I think they would surprise.

Old
12-17-2003, 04:40 AM
xauxi

Look at the standing now and I feel jealous with the Flames. Many questions pop in my head why the Oilers are this bad (I have already tried to be optimistic), but the number is the fact to look and ponder. Comrie's story is over, and everyone now can concentrate on the business, but I still think it is too far from that by watching the game last night. It may take a few games after Comrie's trade to get some doubts of the dressing room, but I think there must be a shake up some where. Obviously, coaches can't (or UNABLE) to solve the problems, and the fact is none of them would be losing their job. Who will be the goat to shake up the team without dismantle the core? I still think about BG and Salo. With the way Salo has been playing, it is hard for KL to do something with him. Only BG will/might be gone to bring back some light for the Oilers (I have noticed that it seems the Oilers would lose every game he plays). Something else needs to be done if it is not changing the "SYSTEM" that MacT has devoted in with his gray hair.

Hope I my opinion is not offensive to some posters here.

Old
12-17-2003, 05:06 AM
copperaddict

Since we are suppose to have money left over after the Comrie deal, why not get the one thing this team is missing?Go after Satan! He is making over $4 million but if you send Smith and Pisani(or Horcoff) and a prospect(or pick) it would give Oates what he needs to shine! Satan is a true sniper. And Buffalo should still feel guilty about stealing him from us in the first place!

Old
12-17-2003, 05:37 AM
Oiltalk

If I could do anything with this lineup right now it would be shipping Ferguson, Laraque and 2nd for a #4 dman that would step in this season. Suddenly the Oilers defence would be top 15 in the league. Rita would play on the 4th line.

Old
12-17-2003, 08:43 AM
Master Lok

Yes, our PP sucks but what concerns me more is the amount of goals the Oil are giving up. Giving up Smith, one of our top 3 defensemen for Delmore, a defenseman who's really a forward? That's not a solid move. If you want Delmore, trade a 3rd round pick for him instead since that's all he's really worth.

Closed Thread