HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Got A Question About A Player? Fantasy? The Team History? Draft History? Anything?

Old
02-10-2013, 04:24 PM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

vCash: 500
I don't see why Marty couldn't play for another 3-4 years yet. He's just a superb athlete.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:26 PM
HenriquesJawLine

We have two solid prospects in Keith Kinkaid and Scott Wedgewood, I haven't really thought about what will happen when that time comes to be honest

HenriquesJawLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Nick0930

Marty will play until he can't anymore. He loves the game too much.

By that time, Brodeur should be ready to get a shot.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:35 PM
RooneyConnSmythe12
Temporary avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriquesJawLine View Post
We have two solid prospects in Keith Kinkaid and Scott Wedgewood, I haven't really thought about what will happen when that time comes to be honest
My guess would be that Kinkaid will get the first chance unless Lou brings in a vet. He seems to be closer to being NHL ready but in the long run I'm more excited by Wedgewood.

RooneyConnSmythe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
Hey Devils fan, Sharks fan coming in peace. I just realized that Hedberg is 39 years old and with Brodeur being 40, are you guys worried about your goaltending after those two retire which will be soon? Do you guys have any good prospects lined up? Marty and Hedberg may be a pretty good tandem but also probably the oldest goaltending tandem in the league so I was just curious what you guys will do when they retire? Marty is definitely an ageless wonder so I wonder he can last another season but I don't know much about Hedberg. Anyway you guys seem to be off to a good start so good luck!
We do think about it, but we're not particularly worried. Lou will provide.

As others have mentioned, both Kinkaid and Wedgewood seem promising. I'm very excited by Wedgewood, who has some of the same style and qualities as Brodeur did as a young player. Whoever it is, following a legend will be difficult. Only time will tell if one of them can step into the role and excel.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:20 PM
MJMazzarone
#AnyonebutNYR

I'm more excited over Wedge over Kinkaid to be honest. His play in the WJC sealed that for me that he has what it takes to be a solid starter in the NHL (although Canada did not win that year)

Realistically I see Lou (and I will be ready to be 100% wrong on this) signing a stop gap veteran goaltender for one or two years until Wedgewood/Kinkaid are 100% ready. Or both will be brought up the same time and fight over the starting spot.

MJMazzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie88 View Post
What's the deal with Andy Greene? I picked him up in my fantasy league and he's been putting up some decent numbers. Problem is, I have Brent Burns coming off IR and need to decide whether I should drop Greene or Nick Leddy.

It's not a keeper league, I only care about this season. So, do you guys see Greene continuing his point producing ways? Is he getting significant PP time? PIMs and +/- are the only non-offensive categories so blocked shots and hits aren't factors.

Thanks.
He's getting pretty significant time on the 2nd unit powerplay, and that unit still has Kovalchuk so it's always dangerous. He's being relied on in all situations and being paired with Larsson (and getting more O-zone time compared to being a shutdown line with Fayne) and that's opened up his offensive game a bit.

I'm a big fan of Nick Leddy, but I'm not sure of his situation regarding usage and linemates and powerplay time and stuff.

Eggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:47 AM
tfong

Whats the fantasy projection on Matteau? Is he playing well enough to be considered for a deeper league? Or is he not going to get much time offensively?

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Whats the fantasy projection on Matteau? Is he playing well enough to be considered for a deeper league? Or is he not going to get much time offensively?
He's playing only on even strength and his minutes are limited, likely still to be in the 10-13 minute range for the near future. Even though he's playing with the top line for the most part, he's not sticking there for every shift throughout the game. At the moment, he's still not worth it until/unless you see his minutes go up or if he starts stringing together a few more points.

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:04 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
He's playing only on even strength and his minutes are limited, likely still to be in the 10-13 minute range for the near future. Even though he's playing with the top line for the most part, he's not sticking there for every shift throughout the game. At the moment, he's still not worth it until/unless you see his minutes go up or if he starts stringing together a few more points.
Thanks, I might pick him up and just stash him away fir a but since I'm in a keeper League.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Hi Devil Fans... was thinking about picking up Greene, Marc Staal, or Bouwmeester off of FA to replace Ian White... would Greene be a good pickup? He currently has the most points out of FA defenseman, but it's not a huge margin.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
Hi Devil Fans... was thinking about picking up Greene, Marc Staal, or Bouwmeester off of FA to replace Ian White... would Greene be a good pickup? He currently has the most points out of FA defenseman, but it's not a huge margin.
He's playing a lot of minutes and playing very well alongside Larsson. He constantly gets PP and PK time as well, and has looked good on the PP. I can speak for the other guys, but Greene might be a solid pick-up if he continues the way he's been playing.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
He's playing a lot of minutes and playing very well alongside Larsson. He constantly gets PP and PK time as well, and has looked good on the PP. I can speak for the other guys, but Greene might be a solid pick-up if he continues the way he's been playing.
Thanks for the response, decided to pick him up.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:21 AM
Instant Rayman

Hey Devil fans, I'm in desperate need of a goalie this week and I saw that the Devils have four games scheduled. Out of those games how many would Hedberg probably start in and hopefully win?

Instant Rayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:11 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by instant rayman View Post
hey devil fans, i'm in desperate need of a goalie this week and i saw that the devils have four games scheduled. Out of those games how many would hedberg probably start in and hopefully win?
1, 69%

DatBoyJPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:21 PM
optionthree

What's going on with Zajac? I picked him up thinking he'd be a great late round dark horse in my fantasy pool this year and he's been a disaster (5 pts in 16 games). He's still getting tons of minutes and presumably centering the top line, so what's his issue? Is he going to turn it around soon?

optionthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:54 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

There's nothing wrong with him, he's just not putting up fantasy numbers

Old
02-20-2013, 04:12 PM
optionthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
There's nothing wrong with him, he's just not putting up fantasy numbers
He's your top line centre and he's on pace for the worst season of his career. How is there not something wrong with him?

optionthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:23 PM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

Quote:
Originally Posted by optionthree View Post
He's your top line centre and he's on pace for the worst season of his career. How is there not something wrong with him?
Honestly I think he looks annoyed/frustrated. It reminds me quite a bit of Kovalchuks first season of his big contract. He'll turn it around. I think its just pressure getting to him atm.

TheUnseenHand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:09 PM
shodapuck

How is Larsson looking ?

Stats don't tell the whole story. How is he looking this year ? Still progressing as hoped ? #1 dman in 2 or 3 years possibly ??

shodapuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:15 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Him and Greene are by far our top defensmen. Definitely progressing well

Old
02-22-2013, 02:19 PM
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist

He has looked fantastic since getting back into the lineup. He has his occasional moments where he will make a foolish pass in the defensive zone, but still largely plays as if he is a 10-year veteran.

MadDog172430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:22 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shodapuck View Post
Stats don't tell the whole story. How is he looking this year ? Still progressing as hoped ? #1 dman in 2 or 3 years possibly ??
Larsson has cut out a lot of the rookie mistakes he was making last year.

He's finally starting to get some ES points and is 4th on the team in +/-, which normally I wouldn't put much stock into, but as a sophomore with top pairing ice time I think it's impressive.

He's got a lot of poise and patience, though sometimes a little too much. Other than that, he's playing very confident hockey and is contributing to our teams success early this season.

There's still plenty of room for improvement but he's playing very well with Andy Greene right now. His opportunities are a little limited because DeBoer wants to give all of our defensemen ice time, but most of us are very pleased with how he's progressing.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:26 PM
njdss4

Quote:
He needs someone on the other wing, imo. Kovalchuk is great to have on the right side, but the revolving door of forwards on his left trying to replace Parise has got to be frustrating. I think a lot of Devils fans (me, at least) are waiting for Lou to make a trade for a winger.

njdss4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
He's the #1 center on the #1 team in the Atlantic. Nothing wrong with him, besides the fact that he's not a great fantasy player.

Sheesh.