HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXI: Daydream Belever

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 12:12 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
C'mon... Let's put this debacle to rest, I hope the Coyotes stay where they are. As a victim of almost having the Oilers move I would never wish that on anybody.
I have friends in Winnipeg who have the same sentiments but they like going to Glendale to watch hockey in the lower bowl at Jobbing for $20 as well

Old
02-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Confucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post

Housing malaise is over, and moving in the right direction. The West valley isn't very dense and has plenty of room to grow.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/re...nclick_check=1
Wait until all the speculators start dumping the properties they bought for 25 cents on a dollar that was owing.

Old
02-10-2013, 03:14 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Wait until all the speculators start dumping the properties they bought for 25 cents on a dollar that was owing.
The irony of someone from Toronto lecturing on the pitfalls of speculation is delicious.

Old
02-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Quote:
The irony of someone from Toronto lecturing on the pitfalls of speculation is delicious.
Shh...They haven't realized that they are self-destructing yet.

Old
02-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Nothing wrong with learning from experience and spreading the word.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:30 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
People don't give a crap about the city's finances, let's be realistic.
No you're right. If the team leaves I won't be following Glendale's budget issues anymore since I am out of the municipal finance business now.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
No you're right. If the team leaves I won't be following Glendale's budget issues anymore since I am out of the municipal finance business now.
If someone kept a thread about Glendale the aftermath, I'd read it. Heck there could be some very interesting items come up.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:33 PM
mesamonster

Say, has anyone laid eyes on GJ lately? I was under the impression that he would be returning shortly with a new offer, the blessing of GB and a passion for the fans and the taxpayers of Glendale! His obvious desire to keep hockey in Glendale has been an inspiration to all of his investors and the COG Council, who so boldly blessed this man and all of his talents. I was particularly impressed with his people skills, showing up repeatedly at Coyote games to press the flesh with his burgeoning fan base. How can anyone forget his communicational fortitude while ingratiating himself with the local media. Then again, it has only been a little over a week, I`m sure he is working on a new proposal that will not require COG subsidies, why didn`t he just do that the first time? He would have been an NHL owner by now!

Old
02-10-2013, 06:41 PM
blues10

I kinda like the idea of a dispersal draft but don't see it happening.

Quote:
Many are wondering whatís going to happen to the Phoenix Coyotes now that the sale to former San Jose Sharks president Greg Jamieson has fallen through. Some NHL types believe commissioner Gary Bettman should fold the team this summer and hold a dispersal draft for the Coyotes under contract. Why, you ask, with Quebec City, Kansas City and Seattle just sitting there waiting to get a team? One league executive says the NHL may prefer to get expansion money -- in the $400-million range per-team -- from two of those markets plus from the group that wants to place a second Toronto area squad in Markham. Not sure if it will happen, but it doesnít sound far-fetched. Just move Phoenix to Quebec City. That makes the most sense
http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/02/10/...d-ryan-getzlaf

Old
02-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post

...and it comes form Bruce Garrioch who invents has many rumors has Eklund.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Mightygoose

vCash: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
...and it comes form Bruce Garrioch who invents has many rumors has Eklund.
Makes zero sense to contact the Yotes to expand again knowing you have other markets ready. The concept will go over with the PA like a lead balloon.

How long could they even go with 29 teams before expanding again?

Furthermore, if they wanted to contract to make more $$$ out of an immediate expansion, they could have taken over the Thrashers and sell them to TSNE for more than $170 mil.

In reality, if the Yotes can't remain in AZ after this season, they will move....contraction is a non starter IMO.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Makes zero sense to contact the Yotes to expand again knowing you have other markets ready. The concept will go over with the PA like a lead balloon.

How long could they even go with 29 teams before expanding again?

Furthermore, if they wanted to contract to make more $$$ out of an immediate expansion, they could have taken over the Thrashers and sell them to TSNE for more than $170 mil.

In reality, if the Yotes can't remain in AZ after this season, they will move....contraction is a non starter IMO.
Doubt it, TNSE had a deal for 110 for the Thrashers. That's all they were worth nobody bid more. Sort of opens our eyes to what they really were worth. The league stepped in supposedly saying you were going to pay 170 for the Yotes, you'll pay 170 for the Thrashers. I don't see how the league could have got more.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Mightygoose

vCash: 514
Quote:
Doubt it, TNSE had a deal for 110 for the Thrashers. That's all they were worth nobody bid more. Sort of opens our eyes to what they really were worth. The league stepped in supposedly saying you were going to pay 170 for the Yotes, you'll pay 170 for the Thrashers. I don't see how the league could have got more.
Agreed fully. Which is why I don't see the league contracting then Yotes and selling them as an expansion for more. It seems like the asking price is set around 160 to 170 mil for the Yotes, an established team as opposed to an expansion team that wouldn't be competitive out of the gate.

Plus getting this by the PA, just don't see it flying. So I just see the team moving unless things workout (or prolonged further) in AZ.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:37 PM
calmdown

Do anybody know if that source is credible?

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nhl130210.html

If so, here is an interesting part:
The uncertainty of the Phoenix Coyotes' future in Arizona will have an impact on expansion, though, as Quebec City, Seattle and Markham, Ontario (just outside of Toronto), are next on the list for an NHL franchise -- "in that order," a league executive told TFP.

If the Coyotes stay in Glendale, the NHL will look to expand to Quebec City and Seattle, with Markham forced to wait. If they Coyotes move, however, it will likely be to either Quebec City (if a move has to happen within the next two years) or Seattle, with the other market, and Markham, poised for an expansion franchise.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:56 PM
wpgallday1960

Quote:

Housing malaise is over, and moving in the right direction. The West valley isn't very dense and has plenty of room to grow.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/re...nclick_check=1
I would expect some improvement in the local economy, however if anyone thinks that a return to pre-2008 "prosperity" era is coming is sadly mistaken (not saying you do).

Old
02-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Bruinbear

Question, has there been one thing Mike Sunnucks has been correct about?

The guy has predicted that mystery buyers will buy the team since 09. has anything he has said been true?

Old
02-10-2013, 09:27 PM
berklon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinbear View Post
Question, has there been one thing Mike Sunnucks has been correct about?

The guy has predicted that mystery buyers will buy the team since 09. has anything he has said been true?
The date of his articles are usually right on the money.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:37 PM
aqib

Quote:
The leagues spin on it was they wanted to make it easier for local bids to compete. If someone was willing to offer $130 million to keep them in Atlanta than ASG would have been more amenable to selling locally.

My personal take is they didn't want ASG to make a profit. If you go back to what ASG paid for the Hawks/Thrashers/Philips Arena operating rights they essentially got the Thrashers as a throw in. $275 million for all three properties was less than Dan Gilbert paid for the Cavs and the operating rights to Quicken Loans Arena. Yes the Cavs had LeBron at the time but Quicken Loans Arena wouldn't be as valuable as Philips given the cities involved. So ASG claims to have lost $100 million the last 5 years owning the Thrashers. Letting them sell for $170 million would have made them money after mismanaging the team and killing a market that the NHL was excited about going into.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:55 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdown View Post
Do anybody know if that source is credible?

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nhl130210.html

If so, here is an interesting part:
The uncertainty of the Phoenix Coyotes' future in Arizona will have an impact on expansion, though, as Quebec City, Seattle and Markham, Ontario (just outside of Toronto), are next on the list for an NHL franchise -- "in that order," a league executive told TFP.

If the Coyotes stay in Glendale, the NHL will look to expand to Quebec City and Seattle, with Markham forced to wait. If they Coyotes move, however, it will likely be to either Quebec City (if a move has to happen within the next two years) or Seattle, with the other market, and Markham, poised for an expansion franchise.

I'd be very surprised, if not stunned, if someone in a high NHL office would say that.

It's "Omerta"

OT: guys, you have to watch this, too funny: http://youtu.be/tcd3DKWlqUk

Old
02-11-2013, 10:11 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

^ speaking of vultures, apparently IEH and Matt Hulsizer are back circling around and are poised to dive down into Glendale and "save" the Coyotes again. What a bunch of swell fellas, eh?

Old
02-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post

I recall suggesting exactly this scenario several pages ago and was jumped by the Quebec contingent and others for daring to suggest such a thing. Am pleased their response has been similar to Garrioch's article at least.

It is an entirely plausible scenario however, one well within the realm of possibility.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:58 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
I recall suggesting exactly this scenario several pages ago and was jumped by the Quebec contingent and others for daring to suggest such a thing. Am pleased their response has been similar to Garrioch's article at least.

It is an entirely plausible scenario however, one well within the realm of possibility.
I will just point out that there have been a few money scandals in the US in last few years.

Now, how anyone can think that the NHL can trick a few potential buyers into a better deal of dispersing the Coyotes then reassembling them a few years later as a brand new expansion team.

I mean I know there is one team for ''sale'' and 4-5 buyers, but if businessmen are that stupid to fall for it, God spares us the future for the last generation takes everything for granted.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Tinalera

Re Hulz/IEH-it almost seems like they're playing the game of "well, they didn't give the previous guy the (now cancelled deal), but WE'LL get the deal done because we can convince them to give it to us"-at least that's the impression I get-I mean, if 300 Mil over 20 years couldn't get it done, why would these guys want in on something where they're siginificantly LESS (if anything) as far as "management fees"?

Or do they think the NHL is all of a sudden going to drop the price to 70 million dollars?

Maybe someone who has far more business acumen thany myself can explain the mindset here?

Old
02-11-2013, 11:27 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
They're Back!!!!!!!!!!

http://ktar.com/22/1609039/Woods-con...to-buy-Coyotes

Former Arizona Attorney General Grant Woods is confirming that he is working "behind the scenes" with a group that wants to take over ownership of the Phoenix Coyotes.

Appearing on KTAR's "Arizona's Morning News Weekend" Show, Woods could not definitely confirm the identity of the group. But he did hint that Ice Edge Holdings, which has tried to buy the team in the past, is who he is working with now.

"I represented Ice Edge in the past, so that's a pretty good clue," said Woods.

Woods said there should be more information about the potential purchase of the team in about two weeks

Two Weeks.... so where have I heard that before????

Old
02-11-2013, 12:16 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

I now know what ''two weeks'' means.

It's a code word between NHL and a real potential owner (in Quebec or Seattle), giving them clue that they can secretly keep working on being ready to run the team.

Closed Thread