HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we need a heavyweight enforcer...

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Darcy Hordichuk on waivers?
Yes 21 33.87%
No 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 03:21 PM
bud12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well, Frazer McLaren will presumably be back on waivers again once Brown returns for the Leafs, right? You guys can campaign for claiming him. He looked big against Gorges, not sure that he has too much of a heavyweight rep beyond that, but he's likely to be available for nothing.
I don't know if he will be on waivers. Carlyle loves him and he have a good chance to be the 13th fowards. But we can definitely have better than Mclaren if we shop for one

Old
02-10-2013, 03:22 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Well, Frazer McLaren will presumably be back on waivers again once Brown returns for the Leafs, right? You guys can campaign for claiming him. He looked big against Gorges, not sure that he has too much of a heavyweight rep beyond that, but he's likely to be available for nothing.
Still McLaren wouldn't be more useless than Armstrong or Moen right now.

Old
02-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Mrb1p

I'm not super cool with the caveman mentality but if its going to stay like this and the league is not going to do anything about it we need to get some tough guys.

Now the problem would be who?

Old
02-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Dada

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsroom View Post
Yes of course we need to have a heavyweight enforcer if we want to win games against Boston/Flyers/Buffalo/Leafs/Islanders. I just don't understand why any Habs fan could say that they like to see teams like Boston and Toronto beat the ***** out of the non fighters on the team. How stupid could anyone be to sign Prust 6 feet 195 at best for 2.5 million and except him to fight guys that are 50+ pounds bigger than him? Prust is a great bottom 6 forward and he was a great signing but you have to protect Prust from himself he has the heart of a lion and he will fight heavyweights every night but as a HABS fan and a Prust fan I hate to see that happen. Prust will get hurt fighting these monsters and we will lose him for the year. It is only a matter of time before guys like Gorges and the other non fighters also get hurt. We could have lost gorges (fighting MacLaren) Bourgue (fighting Orr) last night. WAKE UP HABS FANS AND MANAGEMENT GO GET A GUY LIKE Matt Kassian.
Bordeleau > Kassian

Old
02-10-2013, 03:41 PM
WakeUpNHL

enough with this team toughness baloney.

Wake up Molson/ Bergevin.

We need more than just an enforcer. We need a couple of beefy 5th and 6th dman. Some fourth liners that can intimidate and a top enforcer. Enough with small skilled pgymies as bottom pair D. Enough with Armstrong and Moen faux tough guy acts. What happened yesterday was an embarassment to all habs fans.

All the teams in the North East have beefed up exept the habs.. time management wakes up before we get another Maxpac where one of our young guns get killed on the ice. And please.. no the 'The League will police this' BS. Fact is the NHL knows what drives the fan base to most of the US teams arenas..the Goon Circus Sideshow.

Old
02-10-2013, 03:45 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
Wake up Molson/ Bergevin.

We need more than just an enforcer. We need a couple of beefy 5th and 6th dman. Some fourth liners that can intimidate and a top enforcer. Enough with small skilled pgymies as bottom pair D. Enough with Armstrong and Moen faux tough guy acts. What happened yesterday was an embarassment to all habs fans.

All the teams in the North East have beefed up exept the habs.. time management wakes up before we get another Maxpac where one of our young guns get killed on the ice. And please.. no the 'The League will police this' BS. Fact is the NHL knows what drives the fan base to most of the US teams arenas..the Goon Circus Sideshow.
Yeah I really miss the likes of Stephane Quintal right now. Bouillon's got a big heart but he's still 5'8 after all.

In a word, we really need a couple of big tough defensemen and a legit heavyweight for the Leafs/Flyers/Bruins/Sabres. The likes of Armstrong, Moen and Kaberle have no business playing on this team.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:02 PM
hockeyfan2k11

I've been preaching for so bloody long. We need to beef up the team. Beef up the top 6, beef up the D. Some fans agreed, most didn't.

We're starting to move in that direction but need to get bigger and meaner. Gio should be moved along with DD. Tinordi needs to come up at the end of the year or next year. A heavyweight should be added on D and at the forward position.

We need to shed that soft image.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:09 PM
ChoseLa

I don't think this team will ever change, i've hoped for some thoughness since post lockout, it never came, Bob Gainey believed that being beaten and treated like garbage was a way to build a team concept, Gauthier was a farce, and it seems even Bergevin can't envision tough guys on the team. So we'll keep on having great goaltending but smallish not-so-skilled players for eternity. Stop hoping people, it will never change.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Yes sir

Old
02-10-2013, 04:17 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dada View Post
Bordeleau > Kassian
You ever think the Colorado might want to keep Bordeleau.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:20 PM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

What we need is a rugged defenseman. We had the chance to go after the likes of Sarich, Allen. We went after Bouillon instead.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:26 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
What we need is a rugged defenseman. We had the chance to go after the likes of Sarich, Allen. We went after Bouillon instead.
Allen is old and got a 3.5M$ contract for 3 seasons, Bouillon was 1M$ for 1 year,

Old
02-10-2013, 04:28 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

bring back Laraque!

We never got bullied when he was in the lineup that's for sure.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I don't think this team will ever change, i've hoped for some thoughness since post lockout, it never came, Bob Gainey believed that being beaten and treated like garbage was a way to build a team concept, Gauthier was a farce, and it seems even Bergevin can't envision tough guys on the team. So we'll keep on having great goaltending but smallish not-so-skilled players for eternity. Stop hoping people, it will never change.
Isn't it up to the coach, though?

The reason Toronto has so many "tough" players is because Carlyle wanted them in here.

The reason why Wilson struggled, was because WIlson wanted to make a team one way and Burke wanted to do it another way.

But with Nonis and Carlyle, the communication is constant and it tells with the makeup of the team.

Maybe the blame isn't solely with Bergevin, but the joke of a coach as well?

Old
02-10-2013, 04:43 PM
WakeUpNHL

Boullion and Armstrong are Therrien players... both shells of the players they used to be. We need to have legit NHL sized tough guys who can lay down the law. I am gonna paraphrase from one of favorite movies...

"Better to have a Goon and not need it, than to need a Goon and not have it."

Old
02-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
Boullion and Armstrong are Therrien players... both shells of the players they used to be. We need to have legit NHL sized tough guys who can lay down the law. I am gonna paraphrase from one of favorite movies...

"Better to have a Goon and not need it, than to need a Goon and not have it."
Bouillon has been fine. Armstrong... yeah, he's just taking up space. Not sure he's really better than Blunden, actually.

Anyway, it's a process. Obviously the Habs have Tinordi coming, and they just signed Prust. It'll get there. In the meantime, you work with what you have. Should be able to roll 4 lines and actually have an advantage over the other team that puts out a goon line. It's only a lack of execution on a few of our players that has negated this potential advantage.

I bet Gallagher will wish they had a bit more of an answer, though, he's really going to get himself into some "situations" playing like he is.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
bring back Laraque!

We never got bullied when he was in the lineup that's for sure.
He didn't fight but that wouldn't have happen with him out there. Everybody would have behaved.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:59 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:

I bet Gallagher will wish they had a bit more of an answer, though, he's really going to get himself into some "situations" playing like he is.
Exactly... do you think Marchand, Ott, Grabovsky need to fight guys 40 lbs heavier when they instigate?
When will habs management finally see the light? Do we need to see Gallagher or Galchenyuk carried out on a strecher? If it happens it will be on habs management heads.

Old
02-10-2013, 05:22 PM
habsroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
We could have signed Matt Carkner for the same price we are paying little frankie

Last edited by overlords: 02-10-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old
02-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsroom View Post
We could have signed Matt Carkner for the same price we are paying little frankie
Except Bouillon's a vastly superior defenseman.

Last edited by overlords: 02-10-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old
02-10-2013, 06:11 PM
habtastic

If Orr doesn't try to knee Pleks, none of the extra stuff happens.

So, if we do get a heavyweight, he's going to have to try to cheapshot someone. Not sure I want that kind of team. That said, I am warming up to the idea of at least acquiring one and playing him for certain games. I like what Scott did to Thornton.

Also, Moen is being underrated here, but I'm not shocked. People act like he hasn't fought or something. He's also useful for board battles and forechecking and tbh, isn't the worst scorer.

I think Bergevin will wait at least another 2 weeks before even entertaining it. He'll see how the team does without one and if it's clear that the reason we are struggling IF we are is cuz of the thuggery, then he might get somebody. Otherwise, I think he's patient enough to know that our problem the past few games has been what it's always been:

- not being able to capitalize
- giving up 3rd period leads/usually due to penalties

Therrien's job to fix that even though it's been out of his control the past 2 games before last night.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:12 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post

I don't get the Cube hate. I think he's been quite good in fact. Even on the PP.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:13 PM
DerektheHabsfan82

I have a few questions:

Are Matt Martin, Jared Boll and Cody Beach heavyweights?

Can Matt Kassian and Bordeleau play without being a liability to the team? Who is the better player between the two?

What about John Erskine? Is he any good?

Old
02-10-2013, 06:19 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
He didn't fight but that wouldn't have happen with him out there. Everybody would have behaved.
Not necessarily. Komarov declined Prust, which led to Grabo inserting himself stupidly.

Who's to say that Laraque wouldn't have been on the bench, neutralizing him completely. Orr gets thrown out (or a pathetic double minor...****ing league), then what? Whoever he challenges, skates away since they aren't brave like our so called midgets. Even Lucy did. Multiple times. You could cheapshot our entire team as long as Laraque isn't on the ice. Then when he is on, he would HAVE to pull a Ryan White (I really hope that doesn't stick as a "thing") to be able to pummel anyone. OR, he would have to try to knee someone or smash their head in the ground (too slow for that). So many scenarios where other teams who have baby cats for players can avoid an actual heavyweight of ours.

Not saying we shouldn't consider it, just that we need to be prepared for the situation in which we get someone..."too good", that he never gets to exert his presence. And no, Laraque didn't prevent our guys from getting cheapshotted.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:22 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I forget where I saw it, but there was some advanced stats website that detailed how Carkner was given practically the easiest minutes out of any D in the league.

Closed Thread