HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers can afford to be choosy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2006, 05:43 AM
  #1
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,473
vCash: 500
Rangers can afford to be choosy

Quote:
Maloney said he is still considering moderately priced veterans who can fit into the Rangers' system and their locker room.

He said the team is in contact with the agents for wingers Petr Sykora and Martin Rucinsky, and would like to re-sign both under the right conditions.

"It comes down to price and fit," Maloney said. "Do we have interest? Yes."
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/inde...090.xml&coll=1

The Rangers and Michal Roszival don't have a contract but Maloney is confident they can negotiate a deal

Maloney said "there is question" whether Sandis Ozolinsh will be ready for training camp but wouldn't elaborate on Ozolinsh and his status

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 05:47 AM
  #2
WheresBarnaby
Registered User
 
WheresBarnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/inde...090.xml&coll=1
Maloney said "there is question" whether Sandis Ozolinsh will be ready for training camp but wouldn't elaborate on Ozolinsh and his status
Answer to the question ...

NO and NEVER...thanks.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:48 AM
  #3
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
To return both Sykora and Rucinsky is scary enough. Add in the spector of a multi-year deal for Rozsival and it becomes utterly frightening. Sykora is one thing, as he can play 2nd line RW. Rucinsky is the round peg in a square hole. And thinking of Rozsival here for the next 3 years is fairly disturbing as well.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:22 AM
  #4
Vodka Drunkenski
Registered User
 
Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
I'll take Sykora but pass on Rucinsky.

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:00 AM
  #5
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
To return both Sykora and Rucinsky is scary enough. Add in the spector of a multi-year deal for Rozsival and it becomes utterly frightening. Sykora is one thing, as he can play 2nd line RW. Rucinsky is the round peg in a square hole. And thinking of Rozsival here for the next 3 years is fairly disturbing as well.
Seriously. One is okay, but both together would be pointless. Rozsival is fine - as long as you're signing him to trade him.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:06 AM
  #6
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 20,942
vCash: 500
A Rucinsky signing...

is exactly what Prucha's confidence needs. He was clearly behind Rucinsky on the depth chart, then excelled when Rucinsky was hurt, then behind him again, then hur when Rucinsky was gone again, and behind him again when he returned, and thus would be behind him if he's here again this season. I liked Rucinsky. I just don't think this team needs him at this point - he was a great bridge, and provided insurance if a guy like Prucha wasn't ready to go - but it's time to move away.

Sykora I'm still indifferent about. Not a big fan of his at all, but there aren't a lot of right wing options out there.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:11 AM
  #7
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
is exactly what Prucha's confidence needs. He was clearly behind Rucinsky on the depth chart, then excelled when Rucinsky was hurt, then behind him again, then hur when Rucinsky was gone again, and behind him again when he returned, and thus would be behind him if he's here again this season. I liked Rucinsky. I just don't think this team needs him at this point - he was a great bridge, and provided insurance if a guy like Prucha wasn't ready to go - but it's time to move away.

Sykora I'm still indifferent about. Not a big fan of his at all, but there aren't a lot of right wing options out there.
I agree on both parts. To sign Rucinsky means one of two things. One scenario is to have Prucha on the 3rd line, which would be criminal. Such a move would do nothing but stunt Prucha's confidence and development. Or a miracle would occur and Rucinsky would be behind Pruch on the depth chart and on the 3rd line. However, what that would mean is that either Helminen or Dawes (the other two forwards who have given every signal that they are ready) would get shafted. Helminen, if Renney decides to be loyal to Moore & Betts and not give Helminen a shot to replace either. As such, Moore would never have the chance to go to wing and fight it out with Dawes for the LW spot, as Rucinsky would already be entrenched there.
There is simply no room on a rebuilding team for a 36 year old obstruction penalty taking machine who would do nothing but block a spot from a would-be rookie or, worse yet, push down the team's second best goal scoring option.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:23 AM
  #8
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,490
vCash: 500
Sykora was AWESOME in the Shootout and Ruccinsky made good when he wasn't hurt, but both returning doesn't improve the team imo. Sign One and GO GET someone else who can Finish....please



If Ozolinsh comes to camp in good physical/mentle shape he will still be the best puck carrying D man, which once again the Rangers NEED. I will not be surprised if he's given a shot at competing for a spot in camp. I'm convinced Renny thinks he can teach this guy to play a better D.


Kasperitus- Tyutin
Malik- Rachunek
Ward- Ozolinsh
Rossival - Staal/Pock

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:24 AM
  #9
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
I like Rucinsky when he's healthy, but durability is a concern.

Like Fletch, I'm indifferent on Sykora. Maybe Cullen or Immonen is the center he needs to help him more productive?

Anything longer than 1 year for Rozsival is going to be a real problem for me.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:02 AM
  #10
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Oh boy please no, the only one who would make any remote sense would be Sykora, none of the others, please Don

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:10 PM
  #11
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
is exactly what Prucha's confidence needs. He was clearly behind Rucinsky on the depth chart, then excelled when Rucinsky was hurt, then behind him again, then hur when Rucinsky was gone again, and behind him again when he returned, and thus would be behind him if he's here again this season. I liked Rucinsky. I just don't think this team needs him at this point - he was a great bridge, and provided insurance if a guy like Prucha wasn't ready to go - but it's time to move away.

Sykora I'm still indifferent about. Not a big fan of his at all, but there aren't a lot of right wing options out there.

Not sure if that is altogether fair. Prucha after he came back from his own injury as we later found out was pretty much skating on one leg. Prucha also tended to give a good energetic 15 minutes of ice time per game and when he went beyond that it seemed his play suffered. I'm more indifferent actually about whether we bring Sykora back. He was better than statwise but he reminded me of Anson Carter. Rucinsky is a few years older though. Rucinsky could also be switched to the right wing. In any case if the Rangers sign a veteran it doesn't mean they have to play ahead of a younger player. I know it's always seemed that way but Martin could go on the 3rd line which I think he is better suited for. The only thing is to put him with a decent centerman and maybe that guy could be someone like Immonen.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:17 PM
  #12
NYR94
Registered User
 
NYR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,686
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Yeah, we don't need Rucinsky back because I'm afraid Renney will dump Prucha on the 3rd line again if we re-sign him. He was a good player for us in his stints and I'll never forget him giving the Flyer fans the finger in the drubbing right after the Olympics, but it's time to move on.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:27 PM
  #13
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 20,942
vCash: 500
Marty could...

but my guess is he wouldn't. I believe Renney would play Rucinsky over Prucha, and if Sykora is signed, Sykora over Prucha. I do agree that we don't want to see Prucha playing 18 minutes per night over an 82 game schedule, unless it's heavily PP weighted - but at the same time, it would be nice to see him play with offensive-minded forwards as opposed to Betts and Ward.

But again, I don't see the need for Rucinsky. The team found a way to win without him last season and in this season, I think they have more options than last. As mentioned, I like Rucinsky a lot, but he's just not needed.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:33 PM
  #14
XploD
Registered User
 
XploD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,242
vCash: 500
I'd love to see Ozo back if he gets rid his defensive faults.

XploD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:42 PM
  #15
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XploD View Post
I'd love to see Ozo back if he gets rid his defensive faults.
Do you really think at the age of 33/34 that Ozolinsh is going to change his game?Chances are Ozolinsh won't be on the team's active roster

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:44 PM
  #16
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE
 
Evil Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YOU MAKE SOME MO
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
Rucinsky, despite injuries, was a PPG winger for us and primarily did NOT play with Jagr... explain to me the fascination with dropping him?

Oh sure, he might block a YOOT, but people are a little overzealous handing these guys roster spots. Rucinsky, unlike most of our forwards, has the size and ability to grind along the boards, has excellent speed, can play the point (though I'm not a huge fan of that), and oh yeah, scored at a better than PPG clip despite primarily playing the 2nd line.

The season before, he played with Kovalev and Holik on what was our best line that season.

The season before THAT with us, he played with Bure and Lindros on what was the best line of the team late in the season.

Sense a pattern?

It's SO rare that a guy not only LIKES to play in New York, but THRIVES here, and there's a few too many instances to be coincidence.

Tossing him overboard because you think a 170 pound Prucha can take the same pounding again (unless he's bulked up quite a bit its going to be the same problems as last year), a Brandon Dubinsky fresh out of juniors is the flavor of the moment, a Helminen is penciled in because of his 30 goal year (which seems a bit fluky, considering his non-scorers resume in college )and defensive prowess (but like Prucha, if he's a waterbug, that's a HUGE issue, and you can't count on that all year), or whatever is lunacy, to me. He's head and shoulders this year above all of them for the coming year, has a better skillset and physical package, and on and on.

You want to not re-sign him because he demands too much as a 36 year old, that's fine. To drop him because of Helminen, Moore, Dubinsky, or some other HFD kid might be ready is non-sensical -- they're nice and I like them all, but Joffrey Lupul Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry they are NOT.

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:45 PM
  #17
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Rucinsky could also be switched to the right wing. In any case if the Rangers sign a veteran it doesn't mean they have to play ahead of a younger player. I know it's always seemed that way but Martin could go on the 3rd line which I think he is better suited for. The only thing is to put him with a decent centerman and maybe that guy could be someone like Immonen.
There is a reason it always seemed that way. And that is becuase it has always happened that way. When Renney had a chance to make a different statement, he did not. Prucha got switched out of position (to RW) to accomodate Rucinsky, or worse yet, he found himself skating on the 3rd line. You really think this would change? Why would it change now when Renney did not see it that way last year?
Also, ok, let's say that Rucinsky is not taking Prucha's rightfull place, but is on the 3rd line. That means one of two things. Either his presence is going to prevent Helminen or Dawes from getting a fair chance or it is going to signify that Moore has no place on the team. Personally, I feel that a 36 year-old Rucinsky should not be in the position to push out some of the younger guys. Not on this team.
Any way you look at it, if Rucinsky is here, that means that one of the younger guys is not (unless he is playing out of position as a 2nd line RW).

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:47 PM
  #18
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,773
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XploD View Post
I'd love to see Ozo back if he gets rid his defensive faults.
I would think that Ozo's defensive faults are the least of his problems right now.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:50 PM
  #19
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
Tossing him overboard because you think a 170 pound Prucha can take the same pounding again (unless he's bulked up quite a bit its going to be the same problems as last year), a Brandon Dubinsky fresh out of juniors is the flavor of the moment, a Helminen is penciled in because of his 30 goal year (which seems a bit fluky, considering his non-scorers resume in college )and defensive prowess (but like Prucha, if he's a waterbug, that's a HUGE issue, and you can't count on that all year), or whatever is lunacy, to me. He's head and shoulders this year above all of them for the coming year, has a better skillset and physical package, and on and on.
However, the real lunacy would be to sign him and then push Prucha down to the bottom-2 lines. Unless off course you can name just one NHL team that skates a 30 goal scorer anywhere but on the top-2 lines? You can search for a long time, but you will not find it. So how would it be right for him to play on the 2nd line?
Until Prucha's size becomes an issue and he does not score like a 2nd line forward, you cannot try to use that as an excuse for him to to play ther.
And as for Helminen, no one is talking about him being a goal scorer. People are talking about him being the 3rd line center. However, if he is there, that means that Moore is not. In order to accomodate such a move, the 3rd line LW spot must be made available. If it is not, then Helminen recieved no chance.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 01:04 PM
  #20
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE
 
Evil Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YOU MAKE SOME MO
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
However, the real lunacy would be to sign him and then push Prucha down to the bottom-2 lines. Unless off course you can name just one NHL team that skates a 30 goal scorer anywhere but on the top-2 lines? You can search for a long time, but you will not find it. So how would it be right for him to play on the 2nd line?
Until Prucha's size becomes an issue and he does not score like a 2nd line forward, you cannot try to use that as an excuse for him to to play ther.
And as for Helminen, no one is talking about him being a goal scorer. People are talking about him being the 3rd line center. However, if he is there, that means that Moore is not. In order to accomodate such a move, the 3rd line LW spot must be made available. If it is not, then Helminen recieved no chance.
If Prucha hasn't bulked up significantly, he has the same problems as last year -- after his injury he was noticably not the same dynamo he was before, and I think strength and the pounding his style creates makes that a HUGE issue. Even strength on the 3rd line with loads of PP time made him a 30 goal scorer, and Rucinsky on the 2nd had what, 25? So that's 55 goals from your 2nd and 3rd LWs. Assuming he doesn't regress and improves and can take the pounding from playing 18 minutes a night (a big if), and hits 35, does Moore or Dawes make 20 on the 3rd line? You're already taking goals away from a team that had trouble making them last year.

He had what, half his goals on the PP? Who's to say his kid gloves treatment to start the year (4th line, eventually moving to the 3rd) didn't give him a lot of extra energy to expend on the PP? This isn't a video game where young guys improve every year, Petr got his *** kicked as the year went on, and if you recall the times he skated on Jagr's wing and got 18-21 minutes a night he didn't look particularly good. He's still young, and still physically has a lot to prove before being trusted to that level, and that's the underlying theme: he's got to EARN it. I thought that was the hallmark of the Renney era, that things are earned and not handed to vets just because they're vets. Why should kids get handed spots just because we're rebuilding?

All year long people say how Moore isn't anything special, doesn't add a tremendous amount, has good speed and smarts but doesn't have great hands, passing, vision, or a shot, and is therefore expendable in the future as guys who come up can do what he does but actually score... now Martin Rucinsky (who's twice the player Moore is) has to be let go so Moore can stay on and someone like Dawes or Helminen can get a spot too. What happened to Dawes or Helminen proving they're better than Moore and taking his spot? Are you really advocating not signing a PPG guy so a 15 point scorer can get 4th line minutes? You're assuming just because Moore played here last year he won't get bumped if he's outplayed. If that's the case, we got bigger problems than 24 year old wingers looking for a shot.

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 01:25 PM
  #21
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
If Prucha hasn't bulked up significantly, he has the same problems as last year -- after his injury he was noticably not the same dynamo he was before, and I think strength and the pounding his style creates makes that a HUGE issue.
Again, I repeat that until it becomes a problem, it is not a problem. It is a problem if he is not producing 2nd line numbers. However, as it did not hinder him last year, I doubt it would this year. Last I saw, no one had any concerns with Gionta or Gomez getting pounded and running them off the top lines. And you would not be the same after a knee injury either. Nor would anyone who has not had a major knee injury in the past and suddenly had to deal with one.
Quote:
Even strength on the 3rd line with loads of PP time made him a 30 goal scorer, and Rucinsky on the 2nd had what, 25? So that's 55 goals from your 2nd and 3rd LWs.
You are trying to use semantics. I repeat the question. Can you name just one NHL team that skated a 30 goal scorer on the bottom-2 lines? Or go back and history and name just one team that following a 30 goal season, demoted a rookie to the bottom-2 lines? I doubt you can come up with any. So how can Prucha on the 3rd even be a thought?
Quote:
Assuming he doesn't regress and improves and can take the pounding from playing 18 minutes a night (a big if), and hits 35, does Moore or Dawes make 20 on the 3rd line? You're already taking goals away from a team that had trouble making them last year.
Not many teams have have several 20 goal scorers on the 3rd line. Moore will likely never hit that much in his life. And you need to give Dawes a chance with top-2 line players if you expect that.
Quote:
He's still young, and still physically has a lot to prove before being trusted to that level, and that's the underlying theme: he's got to EARN it.
Now this is getting ridiculous. How did scoring 30 goals NOT EARN IT? Come on.
Quote:
I thought that was the hallmark of the Renney era, that things are earned and not handed to vets just because they're vets. Why should kids get handed spots just because we're rebuilding?
What you are trying to do (or so it seems to me)is justify how Rucinsky should play on the 2nd line ahead of Prucha. And you cannot begin to address that question until you come up with the one team that skates a 30 goal scorer anywhere but the top-2 lines.
Quote:
What happened to Dawes or Helminen proving they're better than Moore and taking his spot?
And if they do prove it and there is no spot for them becuase Rucinsky is taking it up, what good does that do? What purpose does a 36 year old serve on the 3rd line of a rebuilding team?
Quote:
Are you really advocating not signing a PPG guy so a 15 point scorer can get 4th line minutes?
I am advocating not signing a 36 year-old becuase his presence will prevent a younger player from making the team. If Rucinsky is here, it will not matter how Dawes or Helminen perform or who they outperform in camp. They will not make it.
Quote:
You're assuming just because Moore played here last year he won't get bumped if he's outplayed. If that's the case, we got bigger problems than 24 year old wingers looking for a shot.
On this, I could not agree with you more.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 02:19 PM
  #22
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE
 
Evil Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YOU MAKE SOME MO
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Again, I repeat that until it becomes a problem, it is not a problem. It is a problem if he is not producing 2nd line numbers. However, as it did not hinder him last year, I doubt it would this year. Last I saw, no one had any concerns with Gionta or Gomez getting pounded and running them off the top lines. And you would not be the same after a knee injury either. Nor would anyone who has not had a major knee injury in the past and suddenly had to deal with one.
Both have been in the league for 4+ years, and prior to that both had 4+ years in juniors/minors playing top minutes in the NA style, which is far different from playing in Europe, then being on an elite league team and playing 4th line minutes. Different style, fewer games, far less punishment. Nothing you said changes that. Prucha DID wear down last year, and if not for the kid gloves treatment, it might have been even greater. Yeah the knee injury didn't help, but I thought he was slowing down before that anyway.

Oh, and Gomez started and stayed on the 3rd line till his 3rd season (AlMo and Lemieux were the Dev's 3rd line), Gionta till this year, he was playing with Madden and Pandalfo.

Quote:
You are trying to use semantics. I repeat the question. Can you name just one NHL team that skated a 30 goal scorer on the bottom-2 lines? Or go back and history and name just one team that following a 30 goal season, demoted a rookie to the bottom-2 lines? I doubt you can come up with any. So how can Prucha on the 3rd even be a thought?
Well, Martin Havlat immediately comes to mind in the type of forward your speaking of, and he spent a good 4 years on the 3rd line. I'm sure lots of guys in the 80s/early 90s did it too.

But really Because I want depth? If Prucha or Straka goes down, we have to move Cullen to an inferior spot, or hope Immonen can play meaningful, productive minutes. What's wrong with insurance? We got real lucky with injuries for a lot of last year.

Quote:
Not many teams have have several 20 goal scorers on the 3rd line. Moore will likely never hit that much in his life. And you need to give Dawes a chance with top-2 line players if you expect that.
Exactly my point: why wouldn't you WANT to have a 20 or 30 goal scorer on your 3rd line? Nobody has that, that'd be great. And for the sake of argument, a lot of times the top 3 lines play roughly equal minutes -- its the PP time that makes a "2nd line guy" have "2nd line minutes". So I fail to see what the fascination is to promote him at even strength just because its the next year.

Quote:
Now this is getting ridiculous. How did scoring 30 goals NOT EARN IT? Come on.
Mainly because 16 of them were PP goals. Which supports my above statement about PP time.

Quote:
What you are trying to do (or so it seems to me)is justify how Rucinsky should play on the 2nd line ahead of Prucha. And you cannot begin to address that question until you come up with the one team that skates a 30 goal scorer anywhere but the top-2 lines.
No, I'm trying to impart on you that Rucinsky should be signed for depth reasons. If he played the 3rd line, lets say Prucha beats him out, can you name a better 3rd liner in the NHL? Speed, strength, very good puck skills, can check, can hit, ok so he hooks too much but that can be fixed. If he proves he's a better 2nd liner than Prucha for this coming year, then he's better, well why wouldn't you want the team to be better?

Again, where is it written that you can't have a 30 goal guy on the 3rd line? Seems to me Prucha without the PP time is a 15 goal guy. Is that not the definition of a 3rd line winger? I'm playing a little devil's advocate here, don't get it twisted, I truly think in a few years Prucha will be a top line guy, but thats 3 years and 15 pounds from now. Till then, if he proves it, fine, let him play the 2nd line. If he does, then he'll have to prove it the next year too. Your spot should be earned EVERY year.

Quote:
And if they do prove it and there is no spot for them becuase Rucinsky is taking it up, what good does that do? What purpose does a 36 year old serve on the 3rd line of a rebuilding team?
Except we're not a rebuilding team exclusively. This isn't Washington. We made the playoffs last year, and stand a good shot of doing it again. I'd rather have 5 youngsters playing meaningful minutes on a playoff team and getting playoff experience than 6 youngsters playing meaningful minutes and not making it. But that's me.

Quote:
I am advocating not signing a 36 year-old becuase his presence will prevent a younger player from making the team. If Rucinsky is here, it will not matter how Dawes or Helminen perform or who they outperform in camp. They will not make it.
That is a frightening statement. I really hope you don't believe that.

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 02:55 PM
  #23
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 20,942
vCash: 500
Without reading the entire posts...

I will make one comment: Prucha was noticeably tired, yes, but I wouldn't say it had anything to do with being worn down. That's not to say he wouldn't get worn down, but recovering from a knee injury that has you shelved for about 6 weeks isn't always the easiest thing in the world. Not only does he adjust a bit because coming back from knee injuries is never fun, but he was out of hockey shape and you just don't jump back on the horse. I would argue that the injury had a lot to do with Prucha's performance in March/April.

But heck, the entire team looked like shiat and they all were dragging.

As for the last statement...I personally believe that. You don't sign Rucinsky to a contract and have him beat-out in training camp. It's very difficult to beat-out a vet in camp. That's not to say come December he's not replaceable, but out of camp? Even the best of them don't have great camps, some even argue about contract until the end and get slotted into their position. And this isn't just in RangerLand. And even after Prucha goes on a scoring tear, when Rucinsky returned, it was Rucinsky getting his 17 minutes of ice time again, and Prucha his 10 as Prucha got demoted from the Rucchin/Sykora line to the Ward, and I think Hossa and later Betts - why was that?


Last edited by Fletch: 07-06-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 02:56 PM
  #24
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
There is a reason it always seemed that way. And that is becuase it has always happened that way. When Renney had a chance to make a different statement, he did not. Prucha got switched out of position (to RW) to accomodate Rucinsky, or worse yet, he found himself skating on the 3rd line. You really think this would change? Why would it change now when Renney did not see it that way last year?
Also, ok, let's say that Rucinsky is not taking Prucha's rightfull place, but is on the 3rd line. That means one of two things. Either his presence is going to prevent Helminen or Dawes from getting a fair chance or it is going to signify that Moore has no place on the team. Personally, I feel that a 36 year-old Rucinsky should not be in the position to push out some of the younger guys. Not on this team.
Any way you look at it, if Rucinsky is here, that means that one of the younger guys is not (unless he is playing out of position as a 2nd line RW).

Yes--but it doesn't have to be. Rucinsky at 1.5 mil a year at a time is not a bad deal if we place him right. And like I said with decent players--Ward and Immonen--that line would have some pop. Why I like Rucinsky over someone like Sykora--he may be less spectacular but he can play in all situations. He skates and carries the puck well. He sees the play well. He's pretty good defensively. He can play on special teams-penalty kill-powerplay and most of the time not look out of place. If someone gets injured on the top lines he can move up and fit in. Sykora is not nearly as flexible as all that.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 02:59 PM
  #25
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
Yeah the knee injury didn't help, but I thought he was slowing down before that anyway.
He was virtually scoring a goal per game at the time of his injury. Hardly signs of slowing down.
Quote:
Oh, and Gomez started and stayed on the 3rd line till his 3rd season (AlMo and Lemieux were the Dev's 3rd line), Gionta till this year, he was playing with Madden and Pandalfo.
And none of them scored 30 goals in their rookie campaign.
Quote:
Well, Martin Havlat immediately comes to mind in the type of forward your speaking of, and he spent a good 4 years on the 3rd line. I'm sure lots of guys in the 80s/early 90s did it too.
Havlat did not score 30 goals until his 4th year, when he was skating anywhere but the 3rd line. And stating that you sure that lots of guys did in in the 80's and 90's does not address the question at all. Actually it goes the other way in proving my assertion. You cannot name one team that skated a 30 goal scorer on the 3rd line. Not now. Not in recent memory. Nor can you name one team that put a player who just scored 30 goals in his rookie year, on the bottom 2 lines to start the next year.
There are reasons why you cannot come up with such examples. They do not exist. So if there are no teams that would do this, you really think that Renney would be onto some stroke of genius by doing just the opposite?
Quote:
But really Because I want depth? If Prucha or Straka goes down, we have to move Cullen to an inferior spot, or hope Immonen can play meaningful, productive minutes. What's wrong with insurance? We got real lucky with injuries for a lot of last year.
Depth is all well and good. But not at the point that it begins to prevent rookies from skating on a rebuilding team.
Quote:
Exactly my point: why wouldn't you WANT to have a 20 or 30 goal scorer on your 3rd line? Nobody has that, that'd be great.
Pointing to the fact that not one team in the NHL does put their 30 goal scorers on the 3rd line is not an example of why it is the correct thing to do. It just accents of how incredibly idiotic such a manuver would be, as it pertains to Prucha.
Quote:
And for the sake of argument, a lot of times the top 3 lines play roughly equal minutes -- its the PP time that makes a "2nd line guy" have "2nd line minutes".
Not at all true. The top line plays the most minutes. The 2nd line plays the 2nd most. The 3rd line plays the 3rd most (or 2nd least). And so on.
Quote:
So I fail to see what the fascination is to promote him at even strength just because its the next year.
There is no facination here. Prucha is a 2nd line player. That's it. Case closed. Unless off course you can name team that exists has an example that would support your argument.
Quote:
Mainly because 16 of them were PP goals. Which supports my above statement about PP time.
Let's try this again. Can you name one team that skates their 2nd leading goal scorer and 2nd leading PP goal scorer on the 3rd line?
Quote:
If he played the 3rd line, lets say Prucha beats him out, can you name a better 3rd liner in the NHL?
Are you seriously asking me if I can think of any 3rd line players that are better in that role than a 36 year-old Rucinsky? You cannot be serious.
Quote:
ok so he hooks too much but that can be fixed.
Results tell you differently. At 36, Rucinsky is suddenly going to stop taking the nightly hooking penalty?
Quote:
If he proves he's a better 2nd liner than Prucha for this coming year, then he's better, well why wouldn't you want the team to be better?
Rucinsky has at most one year left in the NHL. Barring any type of injury, Prucha has many more. What good does it do to have Rucinsky play the 2nd line, while Prucha's growth gets stunted? And the only way that Rucinsky is going to have a way to "prove it" is if he plays there instead of Prucha. Which brings us back to the sheer idiocy of such a move.
Quote:
Again, where is it written that you can't have a 30 goal guy on the 3rd line?
Again, can you name just one team that does? It is not written anywhere that you should not play with only one defensemen and 4 forwards at all times, yet not many teams seem to be trying it out.
Quote:
Is that not the definition of a 3rd line winger?
30 goals are the definition of anything but.
Quote:
Till then, if he proves it, fine, let him play the 2nd line.
Again, how can 30 goals possibly not be proof enough?
Quote:
If he does, then he'll have to prove it the next year too. Your spot should be earned EVERY year.
So then Jagr needs to come and outproduce everybody to earn his spot, right? Ditto for Nylander. Becuase if Immonen has more points than him in camp, then Nylander obviously has not earned the right to skate with Jagr and Immonen has.
Quote:
Except we're not a rebuilding team exclusively. This isn't Washington. We made the playoffs last year, and stand a good shot of doing it again.
Post Olympic play and the playoffs have proved just how much of a true contender the Rangers were. This year looks no different. If Jagr plays as one of the top forwards in the game, if Henke stands on his head on a nightly basis and if the PK is one of the top in the league, then the team will contend for the 6-8 spot. If those 3 factors are not as stated, then the team will probably not make the playoffs.
Quote:
That is a frightening statement. I really hope you don't believe that.
Actually, I do. Rucinsky has no purpose whatsoever on this team anymore. His very presence will prevent either Dawes or Helminen from making the team, no matter how well they play in camp.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.