HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXXII - Kessel Run Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 01:23 PM
StringerBell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Gillis won't give the twins a 2 yr deal, he'll max out their contracts as it'll be their last before they're 35+, I imagine both will be given a 5 yr front loaded deal and then everyone will just go with it

does everyone forget that they're only 32?
I hope he doesn't sign them at a high cap hit until they're 38.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
I hope he doesn't sign them at a high cap hit until they're 38.
It will likely take a deal that takes them to 37 or 38 to keep them around. There are a ton of other teams that will be lining up to offer that and more. Would you really rather let them go for nothing?

The only chance we have of signing them to a shorter deal is if they have a retirement age in mind already because they want to go back and play in Sweden or something.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:33 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
It will likely take a deal that takes them to 37 or 38 to keep them around. There are a ton of other teams that will be lining up to offer that and more. Would you really rather let them go for nothing?

The only chance we have of signing them to a shorter deal is if they have a retirement age in mind already because they want to go back and play in Sweden or something.
Then letting them go is a better option than signing bad contracts long-term. How do you feel about paying $12M to two 40-60 point players in a couple years?

02-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Then letting them go is a better option than signing bad contracts long-term. How do you feel about paying $12M to two 40-60 point players in a couple years?
Better than I feel about missing the playoffs because we have nobody to replace them. We'll turn into the prime example of mediocrity — not good enough to compete in the playoffs, not bad enough to get a Top 10 pick.

I doubt Sedins sink below 65-70 points until they're 38+.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:39 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Better than I feel about missing the playoffs because we have nobody to replace them.
If we haven't won a Cup by the time they hit UFA then our best chance to win a Cup would have already come and gone. Signing them long-term to big contracts again just prolongs the inevitable. They aren't playoff players, and I don't expect that's something that will develop now at this stage.

Like Gillis cut ties with Naslund, Ohlund, Mitchell, and Salo when the time came I anticipate the same will be said for the Sedins.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:42 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

^ Sign and trade lol.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Scurr

Quote:
If we haven't won a Cup by the time they hit UFA then our best chance to win a Cup would have already come and gone. Signing them long-term to big contracts again just prolongs the inevitable. They aren't playoff players, and I don't expect that's something that will develop now at this stage.

Like Gillis cut ties with Naslund, Ohlund, Mitchell, and Salo when the time came I anticipate the same will be said for the Sedins.
You lack vision. You couldn't see how Kassian could possibly be ready to play in the top 6 either... I wish someone was keeping score.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
You lack vision. You couldn't see how Kassian could possibly be ready to play in the top 6 either... I wish someone was keeping score.
Kassian? That 4th line scrub

Old
02-10-2013, 06:08 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Well, going into a $64 million cap last time, Brad Richards got $6.7 million per year taking him until he is 40. Erik Cole got the exact same deal as Alex Burrows (covering the same ages) and to that point he had broken 60 points once. Ville Leino and Tomas Fleischmann got $4.5 million on long term deals and each had broken 40 points once.

Even if the Canucks get the Sedins at $5-$5.5 million on a short term deal (2-3 years), they're taking a paycut and a pretty hefty one at that.
"so how about instead of $6m/y we give you each $4m per and $2m+2m per to your favourite children's hospital. you can hand over the cheque"

Old
02-10-2013, 06:09 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:

that only makes sense if you have someone better to replace them with.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 753
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
that only makes sense if you have someone better to replace them with.
Gaborik+Heatley> Sedins

Old
02-10-2013, 06:14 PM
monster_bertuzzi

The twins have another 4 or 5 years left of what we're seeing this year and last imo.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
Gaborik+Heatley> Sedins
I think it's Ovechkin and MPS that the Pauser Scouting Bureau are pushing for now.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Proto

Quote:

Botch said yesterday the Sedins want to do 1 year contracts every year until they retire (Gillis is salivating) and that the only thing that might be in the way is whether their agent will let them.

0% chance they leave Vancouver before they retire.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Botch said yesterday the Sedins want to do 1 year contracts every year until they retire (Gillis is salivating) and that the only thing that might be in the way is whether their agent will let them.
LOL. Botch is aware that their agent works for them, right?

Old
02-10-2013, 07:18 PM
LadyJet26
Lest We Forget

vCash: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
You're forgetting this is Botch. Botch is a freaking idiot.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

An agent still has to advise his clients as to the best course of action. Part of agency in general.

Switch gears: Looking at the roster, and the Gilman mentioning Kesler may be moved to wing, the number 1 organizational need is centremen. We have Gaunce, so that's a good start. Mallet may also follow, but obviously a less than sure option. So we need more prospects to complete the depth at that position. Any Luongo trade would have to return a C prospect. Beyond that, I think the team will target another C prospect at the draft. Have to start building that position from within...

Old
02-10-2013, 07:36 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
An agent still has to advise his clients as to the best course of action. Part of agency in general.

Switch gears: Looking at the roster, and the Gilman mentioning Kesler may be moved to wing, the number 1 organizational need is centremen. We have Gaunce, so that's a good start. Mallet may also follow, but obviously a less than sure option. So we need more prospects to complete the depth at that position. Any Luongo trade would have to return a C prospect. Beyond that, I think the team will target another C prospect at the draft. Have to start building that position from within...
Gaunce looks good and could slot into a 3rd line NHL role someday but that's nothing. Remember when Rodin was going to be a 2nd line winger? or Andersson was going to be the next 'Edler'.

I hope Gillis gets us a #1 center prospect in the off season. I would love a Ryan Johansen but that'll be tough to pry him out of Columbus and get Loungo to go there..

Old
02-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Proto

Quote:
Right, but an agent has a lot of leverage when it comes to advising clients. I'm sure "let" is just a figure of speech in this instance.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Gaunce looks good and could slot into a 3rd line NHL role someday but that's nothing. Remember when Rodin was going to be a 2nd line winger? or Andersson was going to be the next 'Edler'.

I hope Gillis gets us a #1 center prospect in the off season. I would love a Ryan Johansen but that'll be tough to pry him out of Columbus and get Loungo to go there..

I don't want a high profile C prospect. Johansen would skew value too much. I'm fine with someone like Shore + 1st. Need the 1st. That way, they can supplement the position by getting a near roster player _and_ draft another high end prospect C in this draft. Getting both goes a long way in replenishing that position within the pipeline. While getting one better one likely doesn't allow that 1st to come along with it.

After all, a guy like Bjugstad was drafted 19th overall.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Canucker86

Can someone please remind me why GMMG sent Sulzer over to buffalo on top of CoHo? I thought the CoHO for Kassian was more than fair for a dollar for dollar swap that filled the needs for both teams. It kind of sucks since Sulzer is actually producing and Gragnani is...well...gone.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:38 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker86 View Post
Can someone please remind me why GMMG sent Sulzer over to buffalo on top of CoHo? I thought the CoHO for Kassian was more than fair for a dollar for dollar swap that filled the needs for both teams. It kind of sucks since Sulzer is actually producing and Gragnani is...well...gone.
generally speaking, it's bad practice to keep a legit NHL contributor on your team as a spare. sulzer deserves to play in the NHL and it wasn't going to happen here. otherwise you're basically wade reddening him. whereas alberts is a fringe NHL guy and it's okay to keep him around as a #7.

grags was a high risk/high reward. but if sulzer had to go anyway, you might as well take that gamble on the off chance that he...

Old
02-10-2013, 08:45 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Not sure who Sulzer replaces currently in our lineup

Old
02-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Nick the Viking

Quote:
AFAIK there was two separate deals: CoHo for Kassian and Sulzer for MAG

Still don't understand the trade other than maybe hoping MAG would be something better than Sulzer and knowing he was a rental and they wanted money off the books???

Old
02-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
They aren't playoff players
this is bad thinking. please fix it

Closed Thread