HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Martin's play makes front page of ESPN

Old
02-10-2013, 03:52 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

vCash: 500
I really believe leadership trickles down. Not sure if it was last year or the year before but we were playing bad & has some injuries & Shero stepped up & guaranteed we would make the playoffs & any thing else is unacceptable. This was one of the times Sid was out. Really stuck with me.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Shero's quiet professionalism and no-BS attitude certainly trickle down, that's for sure.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Shero's quiet professionalism and no-BS attitude certainly trickle down, that's for sure.
we need Mario's desire for good wings to trickle down now

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I don't think Shero lacks desire... he lacks a trading partner willing to give him a highly skilled winger at a fair price. No GM wants to hand us the Cup... that's the other part of this dynamic.

[Put another way if you're a EC or even WC GM do you want to hand Shero someone like Kulemin or Corey Perry if you think it makes them unbeatable?]

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 02-10-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:43 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
I don't think Shero lacks desire... he lacks a trading partner willing to give him a highly skilled winger at a fair price. No GM wants to hand us the Cup... that's the other part of this dynamic.

[Put another way if you're a EC or even WC GM do you want to hand Shero someone like Kulemin or Corey Perry if you think it makes them unbeatable?]
Wish more people would adopt this thinking. Shero wants better wingers. He wants to build the best team in the league. He can only do what others will agree to. Rather he be patient and fleece than panic and overpay.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:44 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:

Especially considering we are the most arrogant organization in hockey

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:47 PM
JTG

Right, and it's a great thought process. I'm sure Ray has far less dance partners than any other GM would have. That's why it very well may take a little overpayment from us to get deals done because a team doesn't want to be caught with their pants down, and any success a winger has here makes him look even worse.

I mean, how does Nieuwendyk look right now?

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Quote:

The other GM should look at his own team in the first place. I don't think a solid GM would not do a trade which will improve his team, because the other team would also improve. If that trade partner is Anaheim for example, Murray couldn't care less if Pittsburgh would be getting better or not. It's a long way to the Finals...

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
we need Mario's desire for good wings to trickle down now
Let's look at his major trades.

Traded for Hossa and Dupuis.
Traded for Kunitz and Tangradi.
Traded for Neal and Niskanen.

It's pretty clear he wants good wingers, but he's not rash and isn't going to sell the farm to get one. People around here seem to think we can trade Tangradi, TK and some picks and get Patrick Kane in return, or that Devin Setoguchi is an elite winger worth trading real assets for. Unfortunately for those people, Shero lives in the real world and not in NHL 13.

Cardboard Orpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

hf really needs a "i was being a jagoff" smilie

Old
02-10-2013, 05:39 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
With Martin sitting across from him, Shero asked a simple question: Do you want out?

Was the abomination that was Martin's season so brutal that he would appreciate a new start somewhere else?

"I asked him if he wanted a trade," Shero told ESPN.com this week.
Can we macro this, just for the inevitable point in the season where people are posting huge grognardian screeds here about "how blind Ray Shero is" and "how can he not see how bad ________ is playing" or whatever the frustration of the year shall be?

Also, this might come in handy for some posters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:40 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Does anybody think Martin might get moved this year if our young D continues to play well?

The Blues might finally be convinced if Martin continues to play solid D. You never know...

I'm not so sure Redden is the answer for Petro's partner. Orpik would be even better than Martin.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:43 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

It's a possibility that Martin could be traded, I'm sure. But given how much better than Letang he's looked at the point, as well as the emergence of Bortuzzo and Engelland, I'll throw something controversial into the mix:

Orpik is more likely to get traded than Martin.

Not that I expect either one of them to be traded, but think about it this way:

Orpik is wearing down, but still has value. He won't for much longer.
Martin is coming off a bad year but rebounding. His value hasn't peaked. He compliments our PP and eats big minutes.
Bortuzzo and Engelland are no longer glaring liabilities.

Frankly, I'd rather they trade Nisky than either Martin or Orpik. But I really don't think Martin is the most likely tradebait, no matter how much some fap to the thought of it.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:46 PM
fragmag

ESPN has a hockey page?

Actually a pretty decent write up. I didn't know Martin added 10lbs of muscle. Him and Brooks have been freaking great so far this year. SO nice to see after last years debacle.

fragmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

we'd need a much surer return than Stewart if Martin or Orpik are going their way. Like, way better.

Old
02-10-2013, 05:51 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:

This can't be stated enough. Other teams want to win as well. Now or in the future the last thing want to do is give us more talent. Shero has proven he isn't going to give away the farm for anyone.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:56 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

I need to go eat some crow. I was one of Martin's biggest critics last season.

TheRollingPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

I won't claim to know how Shero thinks, because at the end of the day, business is business. But based on that article, I don't see him offloading Martin any time soon. I also partially base that off the Cooke experiment, and Cooke still being on the roster.

I get the impression that Shero is very open about his intentions and really loves the Pittsburgh success stories. Cooke is one of those stories, so is Paul Martin's comeback, but Martin's story will take at least this season to finish writing.

Again, this is all just my personal take on how Shero does things, and it goes against how I typically view people in the business of professional sports, since at the end of the day it's still about winning games and making $$$.

Jacques G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
I won't claim to know how Shero thinks, because at the end of the day, business is business. But based on that article, I don't see him offloading Martin any time soon. I also partially base that off the Cooke experiment, and Cooke still being on the roster.

I get the impression that Shero is very open about his intentions and really loves the Pittsburgh success stories. Cooke is one of those stories, so is Paul Martin's comeback, but Martin's story will take at least this season to finish writing.

Again, this is all just my personal take on how Shero does things, and it goes against how I typically view people in the business of professional sports, since at the end of the day it's still about winning games and making $$$.
imo, the only way Martin gets moved is if someone else makes us a crazy offer for him. I really can't imagine Shero will shop him

Old
02-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Couldn't be happier that Martin was proud enough to put in hard hours over the off-season and start making up for last year's embarrassing performance.

I'm not ready to cement his position on the team (especially with all our other good, young, cheaper options on the blueline), but so far this year he's been worth every penny.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:23 PM
JTG

If Martin stays at the level he's capable at, I think young guys will get moved well before he does.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
If Martin stays at the level he's capable at, I think young guys will get moved well before he does.
indeed. Right now, he's playing like a guy these young kids all dream of someday becoming.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
indeed. Right now, he's playing like a guy these young kids all dream of someday becoming.
Niskanen was playing as well as Martin before he went down. The more games we play with him injured, the more people are forgetting that.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Niskanen was playing as well as Martin before he went down. The more games we play with him injured, the more people are forgetting that.
I'm not forgetting that, I completely disagree with it.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
I'm not forgetting that, I completely disagree with it.
Well I disagree with that! Wanna go!?