HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Martin's play makes front page of ESPN

Old
02-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

oh ****

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
oh ****

Don't **** with the Cobra Kai.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:16 PM
cassius

I never thought I would see the day where a highly overpaid professional athlete is lauded for "not sucking" during a 13 game stretch in year 3 of his 5 year, $25M contract.

If that isn't ESPN.com front page material, then I don't know what is.

I guess that just happened.

Look - I get that his game has turned around, but lets not forget that his play for the past 2 years was downright unacceptable. When you consider that he was the highest paid skater behind Malkin during that 2 year stretch, it's even more absurd.

I'm glad he has turned it around, but I think the fans have been fair and accurate in their critique of his game throughout the years.

If given the opportunity, I would still trade him in a millisecond. Paul Martin is the last guy you want suiting up for your squad during a heated playoff series.

Last edited by cassius: 02-11-2013 at 03:23 PM.
cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:21 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Yeah, he's been great. This is the player I thought we were getting from NJ.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:31 PM
WVU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
I never thought I would see the day where a highly overpaid professional athlete is lauded for "not sucking" during a 13 game stretch in year 3 of his 5 year, $25M contract.

If that isn't ESPN.com front page material, then I don't know what is.

I guess that just happened.

Look - I get that his game has turned around, but lets not forget that his play for the past 2 years was downright unacceptable. When you consider that he was the highest paid skater behind Malkin during that 2 year stretch, it's even more absurd.

I'm glad he has turned it around, but I think the fans have been fair and accurate in their critique of his game throughout the years.

If given the opportunity, I would still trade him in a millisecond. Paul Martin is the last guy you want suiting up for your squad during a heated playoff series.
Lovejoy

WVU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:37 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Well I disagree with that! Wanna go!?
Niskanen is certainly the more unproven player when you're talking about eating up minutes. But I still think if a team comes calling Shero about Martin in a few weeks when we're healthy and said team is willing to deal a longterm solution for Sid's RW, then you pull the trigger.

Niskanen battles in the corners. Takes hits to make plays. Martin did the opposite for us in two straight postseason showings. Nisky was playing like a legit top 4 D before he went down. He still has upside and we can retain his services longterm on a cap friendly deal. He loves it here. We helped him get his career back on track.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:13 AM
kbuck8851

Contract Curse

Maybe it's the curse of the 5 year $25 Million contract? This story is closely following the narrative of Sergei Gonchar's stay in Pittsburgh. The first two years Gonchar was here his play went from shakey to scary in Y1-Y2. People were loud in their criticism and were calling for him to be booted out of town. He then turned around his play throughout the balance of his stay here, solidifying a PP through quiet confidence and helping to mold a young Malkin. He turned into exactly the player that Craig Patrick thought he was getting. Hopefully Martin can follow suit and a role as mentor to a young core of promising d-men that play his style (Despres/Dumoulin are basically Paul Martin with size) will help reignite his game. Who knows? But maybe just stop offering this contract to players...

kbuck8851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Heatseeker

I'm just surprised than ESPN had something, anything about the NHL on their site.

Heatseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Iffyiffiffer
Moo

Shero: play better or i will deal you to a terrible team trying to meet the cap floor

Iffyiffiffer is offline   Reply With Quote