HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we need a heavyweight enforcer...

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Darcy Hordichuk on waivers?
Yes 21 33.87%
No 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 06:27 PM
bud12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerektheHabsfan82 View Post
I have a few questions:

Are Matt Martin, Jared Boll and Cody Beach heavyweights?

Can Matt Kassian and Bordeleau play without being a liability to the team? Who is the better player between the two?

What about John Erskine? Is he any good?
Martin no. Boll is a lightheavy with big balls. Beach is to young and is not a heavy at the moment.

Bordeleau the better player. And yes, he can play a bit

Erskine is good for a 5-6-7d

Old
02-10-2013, 06:36 PM
DerektheHabsfan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
Martin no. Boll is a lightheavy with big balls. Beach is to young and is not a heavy at the moment.

Bordeleau the better player. And yes, he can play a bit

Erskine is good for a 5-6-7d
Thanks.

But when I asked about Erskine, I meant is he any good at fighting.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerektheHabsfan82 View Post
Thanks.

But when I asked about Erskine, I meant is he any good at fighting.
http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Player...px?Player=1254

He rarely loses.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
He doesn't fight heavies much anymore. In fact, he doesn't fight much anymore period.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:45 PM
DerektheHabsfan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Hope we could sign him in free agency this year as a 7th d.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:53 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
He doesn't fight heavies much anymore. In fact, he doesn't fight much anymore period.
He's on a leash by the coaching staff because of is concussion problem. Don't fight much now but will go with anyone to protect a teammeate. Really underated in term of fighting skill. He throw with serious intention.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Criss nevermind the enforcers, have you seen our D? Nobody is intimidated when someone go in front of our goalies. At least Gill could clean up the front of the net. Even Hammer to some extent. I can't believe I was so naive to think we had a physical D with Emelin in there. Soffffff

Old
02-10-2013, 07:02 PM
nilan30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dada View Post
Bordeleau > Kassian
Yeah but Bordeleau I believe has dressed for every game this year while Kassian hasn't played and with the addition of Mike Rupp the Wild brass has hinted that they might try to move him or waive him. Another guy is Brian McGrattan who I don't think has seen much ice in Nashville this year.

Kassian or McGrattan would make me happy. So would Bordeleau but he's less avaialable I beleive.

I still think the Habs really need more size in general. While they had a fair amount of shots it seemed like they were mostly from the half boards. The Leafs had a huge d squad last night with the exception of Liles and the Habs small forwards could not do much.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Rick16

What about giving a NHL contract to Stortini? Sorry if this had been discussed, I havn't read the whole thread.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:52 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick16 View Post
What about giving a NHL contract to Stortini? Sorry if this had been discussed, I havn't read the whole thread.
He's merely a punching bag. No thanks.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Well there is some size and toughness coming up on D in the system. Tinordi for one and Dalton Thrower and Darren Dietz , even though not heavyweights , aren't pushovers. That's assuming they all make it to the NHL without being liabilities of course.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:00 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Stortini is awful.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Rick16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
He's merely a punching bag. No thanks.
Yeah I know, but still, I would rather like seeing him get crushed than seeing gorges get laughed at.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:13 PM
blarneylad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
Yeah but Bordeleau I believe has dressed for every game this year while Kassian hasn't played and with the addition of Mike Rupp the Wild brass has hinted that they might try to move him or waive him. Another guy is Brian McGrattan who I don't think has seen much ice in Nashville this year.

Kassian or McGrattan would make me happy. So would Bordeleau but he's less avaialable I beleive.

I still think the Habs really need more size in general. While they had a fair amount of shots it seemed like they were mostly from the half boards. The Leafs had a huge d squad last night with the exception of Liles and the Habs small forwards could not do much.
Honestly habs aren't going to contend this year. But they could benefit from having a heavy weight to protect the young guys and our captain.

Bringing in a guy like Erksine to toughen up our d corps would be good, he would play a regular shift and not fight unless needed (like Gorges), and then bring in one of the guys you mentioned.

Bordeleau would be my pick, but Kassian would too. If habs could get a guy like Steve MacIntyre signed to a two-way contract and call him up as the habs see fit it would be nice.

But lets not forget that this game wasn't lost because of fighting. The game was lost in the faceoff circle, the offensive zone, the defensive zone and effort level.

If habs are winning 6-0 in the third, we don't even bother dropping gloves with their goons.

A bit of size would be nice, and one heavy weight who can do damage when called upon would be nice. I like MacIntyre and John Scott for those roles.

Habs need a bit of size on the point to fill in for when Tinordi is ready

Old
02-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Lions999

We did good with Prust but we need a heavy weight.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:18 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Yeah I know, but still, I would rather like seeing him get crushed than seeing gorges get laughed at.
I'm beginning to see things with a different spin. Maybe that is what is needed for our braintrust to act - watching one of their heavily paid assets break a jaw and miss 2 months to heal.

Maybe then they might realize what we all, or most of us, know.

Leafs get Fraser, McLaren, JVR, and Orr

We get Prust, Cube, Armstrong, and Budaj.

Who do you think improved greatly with these additions?

Old
02-10-2013, 08:20 PM
12345*

This thread is pure lol.

All you need to do is tell Prust to his ass on the bench and not rile up the other team. His job is to provide energy to Montreal, not boost up the other team.

You guys are seriously planning to give away roster spots to scrubs just because of Saturday? I think those roster spots are better spent elsewhere.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:22 PM
12345*

Quote:
I'm beginning to see things with a different spin. Maybe that is what is needed for our braintrust to act - watching one of their heavily paid assets break a jaw and miss 2 months to heal.

JVR? What?

Old
02-10-2013, 08:22 PM
blarneylad

Quote:

Well, JVR is the best of the group. But Prust can play a regular shift in the NHL. He is a 3rd liner.

Fraser, McLaren, and Orr aren't NHL caliber hockey players. That is the ghost of Burke.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
This thread is pure lol.

All you need to do is tell Prust to his ass on the bench and not rile up the other team. His job is to provide energy to Montreal, not boost up the other team.

You guys are seriously planning to give away roster spots to scrubs just because of Saturday? I think those roster spots are better spent elsewhere.
Its time we end the continous beatdown we are getting. We have become the NHL laughing stock.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:25 PM
blarneylad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
This thread is pure lol.

Definetely need guys that can play a shift. I like the mention of Erksine the most. He wouldn't fight for us, but rather add size to the point. When he absolutely has to fight he does, like Gorges did.

Leafs blew us out before the fighting. Not because of the fighting. I wouldnt mind having a bruiser in the AHL, who upon a call is ready to play the leafs and fight those clowns. Lil sideshow to keep leafs off Gionta, Bourque and Gorges.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:27 PM
lampshade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarneylad View Post
Well, JVR is the best of the group. But Prust can play a regular shift in the NHL. He is a 3rd liner.

Fraser, McLaren, and Orr aren't NHL caliber hockey players. That is the ghost of Burke.
Yea 390+ NHL games sure is telling Orr isn't NHL calibre.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:28 PM
blarneylad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
Yea 390+ NHL games sure is telling Orr isn't NHL calibre.
he is evidence that the NHL talent pool is diluted by 30 teams.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:29 PM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

What I think we're missing is a 6'5 or something guy who can drop the gloves...I mean I love Prust and our guys, but when big boys like that come, our guys can't do anything. Tinordi maybe?

Old
02-10-2013, 08:29 PM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarneylad View Post

Orr is apparently not an NHL caliber hockey player but he's played 9 seasons in the NHL. Orr is one of the best at what he does.

Fraser is a 6/7 D 26yo who got his first shot at the NHL and has been really solid.

JVR is a 2nd OVERALL pick - I'm not even sure why he's being discussed in a tough guy thread. He is huge but he is not a fighter, nor did he do anything last night.

McClaren is 25 y.o. enforcer - too young to determine whether he is a 4th liner or not. He can skate though.

Closed Thread