HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hopefully There is More in the COmrie Deal

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-16-2003, 11:33 AM
  #1
John Christie
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Hopefully There is More in the COmrie Deal

Their has to be more. Woywitka is a few years away, I think but the 1st rounder will be a low first rounder meaning anywhere from 25-30.

I`m sure their must be some more involved!

I`m also sure that Lowe didn`t want him in the West so he took less from an Eastern Conference team

 
Old
12-16-2003, 11:44 AM
  #2
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I think it is better than the Perry/1st from Anaheim...

Woywitka might be able to play now for the Oilers.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
12-16-2003, 11:59 AM
  #3
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I think it is better than the Perry/1st from Anaheim...

Woywitka might be able to play now for the Oilers.
Question. Where will Jeff Woywitka fit? We have Brewer, Semenov, Staios, Smith, Bergeron, Ferguson, and Cross.

Presumably, Brew, Semi, Staios, and Cross are here long term. Would this mean that Smith is essentially done as an Oiler? I think the writing is on the wall for Gator.

momentai is offline  
Old
12-16-2003, 04:24 PM
  #4
Oil_in_my_veins
Registered User
 
Oil_in_my_veins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Would this mean that Smith is essentially done as an Oiler? I think the writing is on the wall for Gator.
You never know. It could be Brewer who's days are numbered. It will all come down to money.

Smith is making 2,300,000 this year and his contract is up next summer
Brewer is making 2,500,000 this year and his contract is up next summer

Chances are that we'd be able to sign Smith easier than Brewer. And Brewer would definitely fetch more in a trade.

Granted, Woywitka is more like Smith than Brewer, but can he replace Gator?

Hopefully this trade will light a fire under Semi and Bergeron, given that they're at the bottom of the depth chart on D.

Oil_in_my_veins is offline  
Old
12-16-2003, 04:33 PM
  #5
MrMackey
Registered User
 
MrMackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cgy
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
Chances are that we'd be able to sign Smith easier than Brewer. And Brewer would definitely fetch more in a trade.
Given that Smith is an upcoming UFA, and his fine offensive campaign (and plus/minus rating)... I'm guessing it will be much harder to sign Smith than Brewer.

Can't argue with the second point though.

MrMackey is offline  
Old
12-16-2003, 05:12 PM
  #6
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Press Box & on Air
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,249
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
Given that Smith is an upcoming UFA, and his fine offensive campaign (and plus/minus rating)... I'm guessing it will be much harder to sign Smith than Brewer.

Can't argue with the second point though.
Jason Smith turned 30 on Nov 3 of this year. He's not UFA next summer I don't think.

I haven't looked into it to much so I could be wrong, why do you think he is?

Guy Flaming is offline  
Old
12-16-2003, 05:34 PM
  #7
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
Smith is making 2,300,000 this year and his contract is up next summer
Brewer is making 2,500,000 this year and his contract is up next summer

Chances are that we'd be able to sign Smith easier than Brewer. And Brewer would definitely fetch more in a trade.

Granted, Woywitka is more like Smith than Brewer, but can he replace Gator?

Hopefully this trade will light a fire under Semi and Bergeron, given that they're at the bottom of the depth chart on D.
Gator is going to be an UFA after next season. That is coming up pretty quick. If Jason has a good season this year and goes to arbitration, we could very likely see him getting close to 3 million.

This could also readily apply to Eric Brewer as well though.

But the difference between them is that Eric is younger, has more upside, plays more minutes than Gator, and is a better puck mover (which this team sorely lacks for the most part).

Those are reasons why I can't see Gator lasting for long here.

momentai is offline  
Old
12-16-2003, 05:44 PM
  #8
elphy101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: City of Champions
Posts: 1,568
vCash: 500
I'm guessing that Gator will be traded before the end of next year. I doubt Ferguson will be resigned at the end of this year either.

elphy101 is offline  
Old
12-16-2003, 05:50 PM
  #9
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
I'm guessing that Gator will be traded before the end of next year. I doubt Ferguson will be resigned at the end of this year either.
One thing we have to remember is that Gator becomes an UFA after the new CBA is set in place.. it is entirely possible that the structure of the new CBA will make signing Smith a viable option for the Oilers. He has played great this year and has actually been getting involved in the offensive zone the past couple weeks.. I for one would love to see him stick around for a while and help out the younger stay-at-home d-men we have like Greene and Wowyitka..

Cerebral is offline  
Old
12-16-2003, 05:53 PM
  #10
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
One thing we have to remember is that Gator becomes an UFA after the new CBA is set in place.. it is entirely possible that the structure of the new CBA will make signing Smith a viable option for the Oilers. He has played great this year and has actually been getting involved in the offensive zone the past couple weeks.. I for one would love to see him stick around for a while and help out the younger stay-at-home d-men we have like Greene and Wowyitka..
Problem there though. Lowe has already signed both Staios and Cross to relatively longterm contracts. With Brew and Semi, the key dman contributors as young players... where is the room to fit Jeff Woywitka or Doug Lynch. EDIT: Or even Bergeron.

This is where the long-term deal to Cross hurts us mightily.

momentai is offline  
Old
12-16-2003, 06:09 PM
  #11
SerbianEagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Serbia
Posts: 3,564
vCash: 500
Fergusons days are finally numbered as an Oiler, and I am happy. Woywitka will get a callup incase of Godforbid injuries, otherwise he stays on the farm. Then at the draft it could be interesting, Lowe may be trying to move up, may be trying to land a center, so some players may get moved.

As for Cross, I think there are a few teams that may take him. He hasn't been *that* bad this year.

SerbianEagle is offline  
Old
12-17-2003, 01:47 AM
  #12
tsunami
Registered User
 
tsunami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bienne - Switzerland
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
This is where the long-term deal to Cross hurts us mightily.
Totally agree - Never really understood the necessity to sign him long-term

tsunami is offline  
Old
12-17-2003, 04:29 AM
  #13
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Christie
Their has to be more. Woywitka is a few years away, I think but the 1st rounder will be a low first rounder meaning anywhere from 25-30.

I`m sure their must be some more involved!

I`m also sure that Lowe didn`t want him in the West so he took less from an Eastern Conference team
Personally I think we (the Flyers) got reamed. It is a Glen Sather type deal. Oilers fans are going to complain about more prospects and picks, but it has been working for you for years. Year after year your team is competitive with one of the smallest payrolls in the NHL, exactly because of deals like this one.

MojoJojo is offline  
Old
12-17-2003, 05:31 AM
  #14
Steve L*
Registered User
 
Steve L*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southampton, England
Country: England
Posts: 11,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
It is a Glen Sather type deal.
Not really, he would have waited another 13 years and Comries salary would have quadrupled by then. :p

Steve L* is offline  
Old
12-17-2003, 08:41 AM
  #15
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,102
vCash: 500
the cross signing is perfectly understandable. He is a veteran which we sorely need and he signed for about 60% of the league average. The only complaint I have is that he is playing too many minutes but that is a poor reflection on the play of the other dmen, not him.

Imagine if lowe does not sign him and we have a couple of injuries. Lowe had to ensure that we had at least 6 guys who belong in the nhl right now because injuries will always happen.

At 1.025 mill, he is easily tradable at the deadline.

On another note, if smith is ufa afternext season and the season is wiped out by the cba war, does that mean this is his last year before ufa?

Mr Sakich is offline  
Old
12-17-2003, 10:27 AM
  #16
MrMackey
Registered User
 
MrMackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cgy
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Jason Smith turned 30 on Nov 3 of this year. He's not UFA next summer I don't think.

I haven't looked into it to much so I could be wrong, why do you think he is?
Sorry about that. I wasn't very clear... when I said upcoming, I just meant that it wouldn't be too far off - but I wasn't sure if it was after this season or next. I was too lazy to check, but I should've said so in the post.

MrMackey is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.