HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hopefully There is More in the COmrie Deal

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2003, 11:33 AM
John Christie

vCash:
Hopefully There is More in the COmrie Deal

Their has to be more. Woywitka is a few years away, I think but the 1st rounder will be a low first rounder meaning anywhere from 25-30.

I`m sure their must be some more involved!

I`m also sure that Lowe didn`t want him in the West so he took less from an Eastern Conference team

Old
12-16-2003, 11:44 AM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I think it is better than the Perry/1st from Anaheim...

Woywitka might be able to play now for the Oilers.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:59 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I think it is better than the Perry/1st from Anaheim...

Woywitka might be able to play now for the Oilers.
Question. Where will Jeff Woywitka fit? We have Brewer, Semenov, Staios, Smith, Bergeron, Ferguson, and Cross.

Presumably, Brew, Semi, Staios, and Cross are here long term. Would this mean that Smith is essentially done as an Oiler? I think the writing is on the wall for Gator.

Old
12-16-2003, 04:24 PM
Oil_in_my_veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Would this mean that Smith is essentially done as an Oiler? I think the writing is on the wall for Gator.
You never know. It could be Brewer who's days are numbered. It will all come down to money.

Smith is making 2,300,000 this year and his contract is up next summer
Brewer is making 2,500,000 this year and his contract is up next summer

Chances are that we'd be able to sign Smith easier than Brewer. And Brewer would definitely fetch more in a trade.

Granted, Woywitka is more like Smith than Brewer, but can he replace Gator?

Hopefully this trade will light a fire under Semi and Bergeron, given that they're at the bottom of the depth chart on D.

Old
12-16-2003, 04:33 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
Chances are that we'd be able to sign Smith easier than Brewer. And Brewer would definitely fetch more in a trade.
Given that Smith is an upcoming UFA, and his fine offensive campaign (and plus/minus rating)... I'm guessing it will be much harder to sign Smith than Brewer.

Can't argue with the second point though.

Old
12-16-2003, 05:12 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
Given that Smith is an upcoming UFA, and his fine offensive campaign (and plus/minus rating)... I'm guessing it will be much harder to sign Smith than Brewer.

Can't argue with the second point though.
Jason Smith turned 30 on Nov 3 of this year. He's not UFA next summer I don't think.

I haven't looked into it to much so I could be wrong, why do you think he is?

Old
12-16-2003, 05:34 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
Smith is making 2,300,000 this year and his contract is up next summer
Brewer is making 2,500,000 this year and his contract is up next summer

Granted, Woywitka is more like Smith than Brewer, but can he replace Gator?

Hopefully this trade will light a fire under Semi and Bergeron, given that they're at the bottom of the depth chart on D.
Gator is going to be an UFA after next season. That is coming up pretty quick. If Jason has a good season this year and goes to arbitration, we could very likely see him getting close to 3 million.

This could also readily apply to Eric Brewer as well though.

But the difference between them is that Eric is younger, has more upside, plays more minutes than Gator, and is a better puck mover (which this team sorely lacks for the most part).

Those are reasons why I can't see Gator lasting for long here.

Old
12-16-2003, 05:44 PM
elphy101

I'm guessing that Gator will be traded before the end of next year. I doubt Ferguson will be resigned at the end of this year either.

Old
12-16-2003, 05:50 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
I'm guessing that Gator will be traded before the end of next year. I doubt Ferguson will be resigned at the end of this year either.
One thing we have to remember is that Gator becomes an UFA after the new CBA is set in place.. it is entirely possible that the structure of the new CBA will make signing Smith a viable option for the Oilers. He has played great this year and has actually been getting involved in the offensive zone the past couple weeks.. I for one would love to see him stick around for a while and help out the younger stay-at-home d-men we have like Greene and Wowyitka..

Old
12-16-2003, 05:53 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
One thing we have to remember is that Gator becomes an UFA after the new CBA is set in place.. it is entirely possible that the structure of the new CBA will make signing Smith a viable option for the Oilers. He has played great this year and has actually been getting involved in the offensive zone the past couple weeks.. I for one would love to see him stick around for a while and help out the younger stay-at-home d-men we have like Greene and Wowyitka..
Problem there though. Lowe has already signed both Staios and Cross to relatively longterm contracts. With Brew and Semi, the key dman contributors as young players... where is the room to fit Jeff Woywitka or Doug Lynch. EDIT: Or even Bergeron.

This is where the long-term deal to Cross hurts us mightily.

Old
12-16-2003, 06:09 PM
SerbianEagle

Fergusons days are finally numbered as an Oiler, and I am happy. Woywitka will get a callup incase of Godforbid injuries, otherwise he stays on the farm. Then at the draft it could be interesting, Lowe may be trying to move up, may be trying to land a center, so some players may get moved.

As for Cross, I think there are a few teams that may take him. He hasn't been *that* bad this year.

Old
12-17-2003, 01:47 AM
tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
This is where the long-term deal to Cross hurts us mightily.
Totally agree - Never really understood the necessity to sign him long-term

Old
12-17-2003, 04:29 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Christie
Their has to be more. Woywitka is a few years away, I think but the 1st rounder will be a low first rounder meaning anywhere from 25-30.

I`m sure their must be some more involved!

I`m also sure that Lowe didn`t want him in the West so he took less from an Eastern Conference team
Personally I think we (the Flyers) got reamed. It is a Glen Sather type deal. Oilers fans are going to complain about more prospects and picks, but it has been working for you for years. Year after year your team is competitive with one of the smallest payrolls in the NHL, exactly because of deals like this one.

Old
12-17-2003, 05:31 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
It is a Glen Sather type deal.
Not really, he would have waited another 13 years and Comries salary would have quadrupled by then. :p

Old
12-17-2003, 08:41 AM
Mr Sakich

the cross signing is perfectly understandable. He is a veteran which we sorely need and he signed for about 60% of the league average. The only complaint I have is that he is playing too many minutes but that is a poor reflection on the play of the other dmen, not him.

Imagine if lowe does not sign him and we have a couple of injuries. Lowe had to ensure that we had at least 6 guys who belong in the nhl right now because injuries will always happen.

At 1.025 mill, he is easily tradable at the deadline.

On another note, if smith is ufa afternext season and the season is wiped out by the cba war, does that mean this is his last year before ufa?

Old
12-17-2003, 10:27 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Jason Smith turned 30 on Nov 3 of this year. He's not UFA next summer I don't think.

I haven't looked into it to much so I could be wrong, why do you think he is?
Sorry about that. I wasn't very clear... when I said upcoming, I just meant that it wouldn't be too far off - but I wasn't sure if it was after this season or next. I was too lazy to check, but I should've said so in the post.

Closed Thread